Nika Muhl will have expanded role | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl will have expanded role

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The coaches voted but that still does not make it right.
It kind of does though if that’s the methodology for the award. I think what you meant to say is you disagree with their choice, which is fine, but that doesn’t make them wrong.

Reaction Score
As a Mühl lover I say I never expected her to be a 3 way scorer or a shutdown defender because she would have started somewhere else. Mühl came to UConn be the backup pg and a spot starter. UConn was lucky (and is lucky) that she signed, and "But it's UConn" was a factor. No elite HS pg was going to be willing to sit behind Bueckers for 3 or 4 years. I'd wager it kept 2019 pg's away too.

Mühl will have had 3 months of personal coaching from Bueckers before the season. She is a willing pupil. I'm confident that she will be more than adequate.
An article from the NEW HAVEN REGISTER ( also posted ) has Ines in the same apartement with
Bueckers, Amari DeBerry, and Dorka Juhasz. So...... of course, Nika will have "coaching " from
Paige..... and Dorka can help Ines with " sports management" and ....... but I'm sure Paige will
have Ines' ear about some roung ball also!!!

Reaction Score
I posted the same thing before I read your post. Go gnat!
Your fingers are faster than mine! Great minds go down similar pathways, Go Skeets,
Go Huskies! Z
Yes. Morrow was named the National Freshman of the year by WBCA. Despite her overwhelming numbers she was not named BE POY nor the BE Defensive POY and thus the rub. Morrow led the nation in RPG and was 11th in scoring. Let a UCONN player put up those kinds of numbers and not be selected for the awards and the BY would go up in flames.
The coaches voted but that still does not make it right.
I thought that Maddy Sequist (sp) had tremendous season: individually and as a team leader.
Without checking I think that Maddy was the #2 point scorer in Division I ( behind some lady with the initials C.C. from IOWA! So if you are as important as Maddy was to Villanova, and are the # 2 scorer
in country, maybe the Big East Head Coach thought that they weighed their options carefully,
no??

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Okay, here we go, and hopefully I can just make my point without pissing someone off. I love this team, everyone.
There is no player I will ever criticize if they give everything they have. First, I will mention Nika since so much has been said about her. What has she done to gather this much negativity? No one plays harder than her, no one has the enthusiasm that she has, she leads in the huddle, and of course, she plays defense. Unfortunately, we have to forget Paige since she is not available, but some seem to think that someone can replace her. Come on, there isn't a player in the country that can replace her, so why do we criticize our back up PG because she can't do what Paige does? Nika has refused to shoot when she should, but there is nothing drastically wrong with the rest of her game. This is going to be a team effort to get to where we want, with every player stepping up and doing their job. If Nika starts shooting, her game will be fine, and the more she plays the point the less time Azzi or Caroline will have to. Instead of talking trash about these players, let encourage them and have real discussions about line-ups that make sense. I guarantee Nika will start at the PG position, and if it doesn't work out, someone else will start, but if she ups her game, having her there is the best scenario for this team. Regardless, let's talk positively about everyone, because they are all great players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Okay, here we go, and hopefully I can just make my point without pissing someone off. I love this team, everyone.
There is no player I will ever criticize if they give everything they have. First, I will mention Nika since so much has been said about her. What has she done to gather this much negativity? No one plays harder than her, no one has the enthusiasm that she has, she leads in the huddle, and of course, she plays defense. Unfortunately, we have to forget Paige since she is not available, but some seem to think that someone can replace her. Come on, there isn't a player in the country that can replace her, so why do we criticize our back up PG because she can't do what Paige does? Nika has refused to shoot when she should, but there is nothing drastically wrong with the rest of her game. This is going to be a team effort to get to where we want, with every player stepping up and doing their job. If Nika starts shooting, her game will be fine, and the more she plays the point the less time Azzi or Caroline will have to. Instead of talking trash about these players, let encourage them and have real discussions about line-ups that make sense. I guarantee Nika will start at the PG position, and if it doesn't work out, someone else will start, but if she ups her game, having her there is the best scenario for this team. Regardless, let's talk positively about everyone, because they are all great players.
Ok here I go. No one has ever criticize Nika for not being Paige -you are making that up! Nika is being rightly criticized by us and her coach because she has defined holes in her game that need to be improved for the benefit of the team you claim to love so much.
Where were you when Aubrey Griffin and ONO were getting criticized for the EXACT same things?

Reaction Score
What has she done to gather this much negativity?
I haven't seen the negativity, to tell you the truth. I've seen lots of folks discussing what Geno has said about what Nika needs to improve on. Maybe there's some bizarre history of savagery on the BY that I'm unaware of. But judging from the way people react to posts that state simple facts and offer encouragement to the players, I seriously doubt it.

If Nika starts shooting, her game will be fine,
I think I'd like to see some of those shots go in. It turns out a midrange game isn't as simple as it seems. There's a bit of complexity to the footwork, the ball-handling, the stroke that comes at the top of a jump. So far, Nika has only shown us standing set shots from the 3pt line. There's also the pesky problem of finishing at the rim through contact -- i.e. in the half court set, not on the break. She has yet to show us any proficiency in this either, though this skill is probably less complex than the midrange jumper.

I guarantee Nika will start at the PG position, and if it doesn't work out, someone else will start,
I think you're right, and I really hope it works out. I don't want to see her fail and get relegated to the same old role, not just because it means more of a burden for Azzi, but also because I want to see Nika succeed! I hope to see her on the floor in the 4th quarter of close games making the key play.

Reaction Score
Your fingers are faster than mine! Great minds go down similar pathways, Go Skeets,
Go Huskies! Z

I thought that Maddy Sequist (sp) had tremendous season: individually and as a team leader.
Without checking I think that Maddy was the #2 point scorer in Division I ( behind some lady with the initials C.C. from IOWA! So if you are as important as Maddy was to Villanova, and are the # 2 scorer
in country, maybe the Big East Head Coach thought that they weighed their options carefully,
no??
I just checked: Caitlin Clark was # 1 at 27.0 ppg. Maddy Siegrist was #2 at 25.3 ppg as
was Jasmine Dickey of Delaware ( 25.3). Maddy was also USBWA third team ALL AMERICAN.
The Villanova webpage Bio on Maddy had her with 21 20 point games, 9 thirty point games,
12 double doubles, and scoring in double figures in all 27 games. Maddy had 9.2 rebounds
per game and Aneesh Morrow had 13.4. Not too shabby for Maddy who does not play
under the basket. She is a trim 6'1" . Maddy will return for one more year with the Wildcats.
I

Reaction Score
Clearly, her teammates and coaches love and respect her. Fans should do the same!
I love and respect her, and I do so by pointing out the path forward for her, the same one her coaches have indicated. To hide from this and pretend that progress isn’t needed is not love and respect. I want to see her succeed and become the indispensable closer the team needs her to be.

Reaction Score
It kind of does though if that’s the methodology for the award. I think what you meant to say is you disagree with their choice, which is fine, but that doesn’t make them wrong.
My research about the Big East POY is posted below at # 108 at 5:51 pm.
Maddy Siegrist of Villanova was Big East POY. Check out some of her numbers
from the Villanova WBB Web Page, which I summarized (click: Roster, Siegrist, Bio for 2021- 2022.)
Of course, A. Morrow had a tremendous year, ... so did Maddy. They both
return for 2022 - 2023. I would like Dorka to be this year's BIG EAST POY , go
Big Girl!! Get ready for the WNBA!! Z

Reaction Score
I love and respect her, and I do so by pointing out the path forward for her, the same one her coaches have indicated. To hide from this and pretend that progress isn’t needed is not love and respect. I want to see her succeed and become the indispensable closer the team needs her to be.
Constructive criticism for Nika is okay. Incessantly belittling her talents and discrediting her accomplishments is NOT okay. Not saying you specifically are responsible or have done this but some on the BY definitely have.

Reaction Score
My prediction, er I mean, hope is that Azzi is NPOY and Caroline is BE POY.
Not a bad idea for AZZI and for Caroline. Dorka will get her reward by being
drafted into the WNBA! The golden ring is the National Championship. Go
Huskies! It's all in the Family!

Reaction Score
Ok here I go. No one has ever criticize Nika for not being Paige -you are making that up! Nika is being rightly criticized by us and her coach because she has defined holes in her game that need to be improved for the benefit of the team you claim to love so much.
Where were you when Aubrey Griffin and ONO were getting criticized for the EXACT same things?
I don't recall Griffin getting overly criticized, and she certainly is not getting it now. However, the BY was RELENTLESS in criticizing ONO and now Nika is getting the ONO treatment.

Nika needs to take advantage of her shooting opportunities and drain a few of them. But ugly things have been said about her here on the BY, such as, there would have been less angst if it was her ACL instead of Paige. I don't know why Nika was singled out, or anyone else for that matter for an ACL injury.

Where was I when ONO was getting criticized? Right here asking the BY to lighten up. Sometimes I felt like the lone voice in the woods.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't recall Griffin getting overly criticized, and she certainly is not getting it now. However, the BY was RELENTLESS in criticizing ONO and now Nika is getting the ONO treatment.

Nika needs to take advantage of her shooting opportunities and drain a few of them. But ugly things have been said about her here on the BY, such as, there would have been less angst if it was her ACL instead of Paige. I don't know why Nika was singled out, or anyone else for that matter for an ACL injury.

Where was I when ONO was getting criticized? Right here asking the BY to lighten up. Sometimes I felt like the lone voice in the woods.
As I have stated before the criticism of Aubrey was almost identical as it was for Nika. Look at the post directly below and you can literally exchange Nika for Aubrey. @Longtime fan I'm only reposting this to show that the criticism of Aubrey was same as Nika. As I have also said before for some reason criticism of Nika hits different. Why is that?

Aubrey has never been a shooter. She has unusual athletic skills which makes her a demon on defense, a rebounder and a player who can excel on fast breaks. She almost never took a shot as a freshman ( other than lay up or put back ). One could see that she was "working on a shot" from mid range and distance last season, with mixed results. And this year, of course is a total loss. But I still don't expect her to become known as an accurate shooter. It would be a pleasant surprise, off course.

Reaction Score
Nika reminds me a lot of one of my favorite hockey players, David Krejci. He too is a pass first player, frequently passing up good scoring opportunities to dish the puck to someone else, who more often than not scores a goal. The thing with DK though is he has always had a great although infrequently used shot where Nika has to develop hers virtually from scratch, which is a tall order at this stage of her career. Not only the mechanics but also the mind set- a player has to be a little bit selfish in that regard. However, if anyone can do it it's Nika, given her determination to do whatever it takes to help her team win.

My money is on the Gnat :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My prediction, er I mean, hope is that Azzi is NPOY and Caroline is BE POY.
That's not possible because the NPOY, NFOY and the DNPOY are chosen from among the conference players winners for those same awards. So to become NPOY Azzi would have to first win BE POY. Although I suppose the conference could award co-POY but that would also not be conducive to winning a national awards.

Reaction Score
That's not possible because the NPOY, NFOY and the DNPOY are chosen from among the conference players winners for those same awards. So to become NPOY Azzi would have to first win BE POY. Although I suppose the conference could award co-POY but that would also not be conducive to winning a national awards.
So your saying I have a crazy hope? Sigh. But the heart wants what it wants.

Reaction Score
I think some of the problems we may have with certain players and their weaknesses, is because of the very high team and individual standards. We generally expect every key rotation player to be an above average player, and most of the time that is true. So when there is one trait from a player that might be sub par, it gets quite a bit of attention and tends to stand out, even if overall that player is still above average.

The standards for a starter on a championship team is of course even higher, and from that standpoint it can be hard to envision how a Uconn starter can help their championship hopes if they have a glaring weakness. We expect most starters to be potential future WNBA players, if they are merely above average college starters, it is viewed as a position that needs to be upgraded.

We get excited about top 10 recruits, but might have a ho hum reaction to a recruit in the 25-40 range for example, because that player may project to be a well above average college player, but maybe not have All-American potential. If we were just a good not elite program, we could look past Liv's problems banging with stronger players inside, or Aubrey's lack of three point shooting on the wing, or Nika's scoring woes etc, we would be more happy for the things they did bring to the table.

Since the goal is always a national championship, a player's role and minutes are judged based on whether it improves or hurts the odds of achieving that goal. So I think we can be harsh at times pointing out what players can't do well, but I also get it, the standard is incredibly high, and by Uconn standards if you do have a weakness, the rest of your game has to be very good to compensate for it, and be a player that gives us an edge not just against most teams, but against South Carolina, Stanford, and the best of the best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think some of the problems we may have with certain players and their weaknesses, is because of the very high team and individual standards. We generally expect every key rotation player to be an above average player, and most of the time that is true. So when there is one trait from a player that might be sub par, it gets quite a bit of attention and tends to stand out, even if overall that player is still above average.

The standards for a starter on a championship team is of course even higher, and from that standpoint it can be hard to envision how a Uconn starter can help their championship hopes if they have a glaring weakness. We expect most starters to be potential future WNBA players, if they are merely above average college starters, it is viewed as a position that needs to be upgraded.

We get excited about top 10 recruits, but might have a ho hum reaction to a recruit in the 25-40 range for example, because that player may project to be a well above average college player, but maybe not have All-American potential. If we were just a good not elite program, we could look past Liv's problems banging with stronger players inside, or Aubrey's lack of three point shooting on the wing, or Nika's scoring woes etc, we would be more happy for the things they did bring to the table.

Since the goal is always a national championship, a player's role and minutes are judged based on whether it improves or hurts the odds of achieving that goal. So I think we can be harsh at times pointing out what players can't do well, but I also get it, the standard is incredibly high, and by Uconn standards if you do have a weakness, the rest of your game has to be very good to compensate for it, and be a player that gives us an edge not just against most teams, but against South Carolina, Stanford, and the best of the best.
Thanks Thank You GIF by 大姚Dayao

Reaction Score
When I was a kid, my grandmother kept chickens. I remember one feature in particular about the rooster. He ruled the chicken yard and the hens followed him around wherever he went, fought among themselves for position, etc. He was mighty. But if he developed any sort of injury they could see, a cut or a wound, as long as they could see it they couldn't resist pecking at it. Eventually they'd kill him, probably unintentionally. @oldhuskie , is this how it is in the BY?

sun

Reaction Score
Nika had great chemistry with Paige in their freshmen year together.
But last year their chemistry together wasn't allowed to happen.
With the new & healthier players, a new chemistry should develop among their different combinations.
If everyone else can make their shots then it will be easier for Nika to relax and to play her best game.
One way or another, new UConn stars are going to be born.
And it doesn't really matter who steps up, there will be some players that will surprise & dazzle us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I was a kid, my grandmother kept chickens. I remember one feature in particular about the rooster. He ruled the chicken yard and the hens followed him around wherever he went, fought among themselves for position, etc. He was mighty. But if he developed any sort of injury they could see, a cut or a wound, as long as they could see it they couldn't resist pecking at it. Eventually they'd kill him, probably unintentionally. @oldhuskie , is this how it is in the BY?

We raised pheasants when we were kids. They did the same thing- the minute one of them got hurt or if they were born small & fragile the others would kill him/her. That's why it never bothered me to shoot one during a hunt.

I think this is true of social media in general & not specific to the Boneyard- see a weakness, attack it until it is dead (gives up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom