Nika Muhl will have expanded role | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl will have expanded role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's interesting to read different perspectives on Nika. She's the classic u hate to play against her but love her when she's on ur team, and thankfully she's on my team. But during last season and I'm sure at times this upcoming season, she seems to be a bit of a lightning rod. She did win big east defensive player of the year. Geno has consistently said the team looks different when she's in the game. I mean she kinda took E's spot in the starting lineup last year.
I'm actually in the minority that doesn't think she needs to be more aggressive or score more. I think if she just plays her game she'll be fine. I feel like she is Dennis rodman, Draymond green, rajon rondo. Stats don't really do her justice, but you just want her on the floor. She's probably the penned in starter that I'm least concerned about.
The problem with simply accepting Muhl’s scoring/free throw deficiencies is that it/they really only hurt us (generally) in big competitive games. Those games unfortunately, are the ones that are most likely to determine whether we win #12! This is why some of us are so focused on Nika’s necessary improvement. If she can be a legitimate scoring threat that requires defensive attention and she can get her free throw percentage up above 75 then I will be very happy with her.

Reaction Score
If she can be a legitimate scoring threat that requires defensive attention and she can get her free throw percentage up above 75 then I will be very happy with her.
My feelings exactly. Or, for those who remind us that she was only ever meant to be Paige’s backup, and shouldn’t be expected to improve, she can continue in that role and back up Azzi this year and KK next year, who will be Paige’s primary backup. Sadly, this will mean Azzi and Caroline will have to play a lot more minutes and risk reinjury. I’d have preferred to see her as Azzi and Caroline’s partner in the main rotation. But if this is what Nika’s so-called defenders prefer, who am I to disagree?

Reaction Score
My feelings exactly. Or, for those who remind us that she was only ever meant to be Paige’s backup, and shouldn’t be expected to improve, she can continue in that role and back up Azzi this year and KK next year, who will be Paige’s primary backup. Sadly, this will mean Azzi and Caroline will have to play a lot more minutes and risk reinjury. I’d have preferred to see her as Azzi and Caroline’s partner in the main rotation. But if this is what Nika’s so-called defenders prefer, who am I to disagree?
What exactly are you saying here? If it is that 'Nika's so-called defenders' feel that she shouldn't be expected to improve and prefer she remain a backup this season ? Did you accidentally insert defenders for detractors? If not I don't get it. Every Uconn fan wants to see Nika continue to improve and the vast majority of 'Nika's so-called defenders' have acknowledged the improvements she needs to come back with this season, those same folks believe she can and will and expect her to be partners in the main rotation (in the backcourt) with Azzi and Caroline.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn't Morrow win another award?
Yes. Morrow was named the National Freshman of the year by WBCA. Despite her overwhelming numbers she was not named BE POY nor the BE Defensive POY and thus the rub. Morrow led the nation in RPG and was 11th in scoring. Let a UCONN player put up those kinds of numbers and not be selected for the awards and the BY would go up in flames.
The coaches voted but that still does not make it right.

Reaction Score
What exactly are you saying here? If it is that 'Nika's so-called defenders' feel that she shouldn't be expected to improve and prefer she remain a backup this season ? Did you accidentally insert defenders for detractors? If not I don't get it. Every Uconn fan wants to see Nika continue to improve and the vast majority of 'Nika's so-called defenders' have acknowledged the improvements she needs to come back with this season, those same folks believe she can and will and expect her to be partners in the main rotation (in the backcourt) with Azzi and Caroline.
I meant what I said. Folks trying to defend Nika from any criticism are effectively consigning her to continued backup status the next two years. If her role is going to expand, a possibility explored in a couple of recent threads, she needs to develop a fuller range of skills — this seems obvious to all, and tons of examples of previous players who’ve done so have been offered. Despite this, we still hear excuses and vitriol directed at anyone who should actually think this situation through.

Here’s the truth: it’s not cruel to identify the challenge Nika actually faces to expand her role. She doesn’t want to let the team down, and I’m sure she loves the challenge itself, the idea that she might accomplish more than lots of people expected of her two years ago. It will be difficult, but she thrives on difficult things. She didn’t choose UConn to do easy things. And it’s possible she won’t succeed, but that’s in the nature of all challenges. Go, Nika!

Reaction Score
:eek:You should be ashamed of yourself. Stefanie Dolson would never murder a cow .....unless the cow deserved it.
Jingoistic anti-euro feelings are not simple, they are highly complicated.
You’re right. Jingoistic anti-euro feelings are complicated. But for those in Europe, as I am, it can be difficult to watch. Discussing men’s Olympics basketball, Nick Wright on FS1 (available in clips on YouTube) said something like this, « Nobody likes French people. » Really, that’s okay to say on American TV? I think Wright rooted for Slovenia during the Olympics, so it’s not as simple as being anti-euro, but imagine if he had said on American TV, « Nobody likes Mexicans. » Fortunately here in France almost no one knows Nick Wright.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You’re right. Jingoistic anti-euro feelings are complicated. But for those in Europe, as I am, it can be difficult to watch. Discussing men’s Olympics basketball, Nick Wright on FS1 (available in clips on YouTube) said something like this, « Nobody likes French people. » Really, that’s okay to say on American TV? I think Wright rooted for Slovenia during the Olympics, so it’s not as simple as being anti-euro, but imagine if he had said on American TV, « Nobody likes Mexicans. » Fortunately here in France almost no one knows Nick Wright.
You are howling at the wrong full moon here.
Nobody gives a rats behind that Nika is from Europe at least I don't.
Stop regionalizing this and stick to basketball before you get this thread shut down.

Reaction Score
The majority of people in the US don’t know Wright either. And the ones that do already know he’s just a click bait dope.

Reaction Score
Stop regionalizing this and stick to basketball before you get this thread shut down.
I know you don’t. I wasn’t criticizing you.

Sorry for my post. Truly. I guess it relates to basketball only through my regional eyes. Wishing you a good day.

Reaction Score
Well said, Coco. I noticed I've been grouped with those who 'attack' Nika, although that isn't what I do, so I suppose I'm therefore anti-Euro?

That's nuts. I'm thrilled we've added Lou and Ines and proud and happy that the Huskies have players from five other countries on the '22-23 roster, including four Europeans. Heck, if they're quality people and would help the Huskies, it doesn't matter to me if players come from anywhere in the world.

I've lived my life in the USA, but have travelled about 20 times to Europe because if all it offers, including several long, backpacking trips way back when. I'm a Nika fan, as I am the other 11 players. For the moment, I'll refer those who want to come after to me to Bone Dog's post #81.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on this thread and then I will happily bow out of this discussion. There is nothing wrong with identifying the areas a player needs to improve on. But that’s not just true for Nika. It’s true for everyone on the team.

The focus on Nika’s shortcomings here on the BY by some fans has been ongoing since her freshman year. First, some doubted she would ever play meaningful minutes at UConn. Then it was that she would never crack the starting lineup if everyone was healthy. Wrong and wrong again.

What I find most alarming is that some BY’ers seem to be doubling down on their criticism of Nika, to the point of appearing to hope she fails. In a sense, since Liv has moved on to the pros, Nika has become the target of the, “she’s not good enough” crowd on the BY.

With the knowledge that players, friends & family read the BY, I have always taken the position not to levy a criticism of any UConn player that I would never consider making to my own child. I have made this point here on several occasions. IMO, some of the criticism of Nika has become over the top and personal.

Here is what I know about Nika. She is a ferocious competitor, team leader and the toughest player on UConn’s roster. She improved significantly as a junior, earning the BE DPOY.

Nika will never be Paige. But if she is able to step up to become a solid pg, UConn will be a much better team. That will allow Azzi, Caroline & Lou to hunt their shot. It will improve UConn’s transition game resulting in easy baskets. It will disrupt opposing team’s half court offenses by placing constant pressure on opposing pg’s

Nika is a wonderful young lady who’s commitment to the success of UConn WBB is second to none. I am rooting for Nika to succeed as I have for every UConn Husky. We should all feel the same. So before anyone writes another criticism directed at Nika, I ask you to consider your true motivation and in the words of Herm Edwards, “Don’t hit send.”

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
--- There is nothing wrong with identifying the areas a player needs to improve on. But that’s not just true for Nika. It’s true for everyone on the team. The focus on Nika’s shortcomings here on the BY by some fans has been ongoing since her freshman year. First, some doubted she would ever play meaningful minutes at UConn. Then it was that she would never crack the starting lineup if everyone was healthy. Wrong and wrong again.

What I find most alarming is that some BY’ers seem to be doubling down on their criticism of Nika, ...
it seems obvious to me that much of this crap is simply a consequence of Internet egos -- one of things that infests 'social media' and it is shame and is damaging the culture.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nick Wright must be a Knick Fan? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It’s not that I disagre exactly. I just think if it isn’t obviously Azzi and Caroline’s team by January, if those two haven’t stepped up in a big way, it won’t bode well for #12.
I like the way you think. But there is a lot of basketball practices and intro games to be played. We have freshmen. I remember at least 3 maybe many more that OWED their teams. Initially for Stewie it was hers, then a lull, and she owed it for 3 plus years.
Maya from day one, DT from the 2nd game if not earlier. Let us give the new kids a shot at ownership before Muhl or Azzi or Even MY Caroline before we give the lead husky to anyone, just yet. But I don't disagree they are the "apparent heirs". .

Reaction Score
it seems obvious to me that much of this crap is simply a consequence of Internet egos -- one of things that infests 'social media' and it is shame and is damaging the culture.
I disagree with Ego's. Of Not liking Nika. The entire view of this team has not yet been seen. Proof of any kind belongs with viewing games.
There isn't one single kid on Uconn that I don't seriously LIKE. Caroline, owns me a bit, I adore kids that play ALL OUT ALL THE TIME, that includes Nika. If a tough game were to be played tomorrow--NIKA is MY point, Caroline is my 2, Edwards power forward, Azzi Sm Fwd, I'd have to go with 1 of the 2 new bigs to start--but the game isn't tomorrow it's almost 2 months away.
If you don't "like" all of these HUSKY kids, right now, ?? What can I say??

Reaction Score
The world is changing and Geno and CD are doing their best to keep up. We actually have a player with Purple and Yellow streaks in her hear now. Somewhere Stefanie Dolson is saying "bout time!
View attachment 78822
Geno and Christine have adapted if not adopted new customs. Edwards hair style said, take me as I am or don't take, SMART GENO took her. Too much has been faultily written about Geno's RIGID beliefs. My now everyone should know --GENO Evolves, Adapts, changes, as is required to field a top talent Uconn Women's team. Certain beliefs shall never change. Play the game "the Geno way" , Practice "the Geno way", dress and carry yourself and speak in public--"the Christine way". Those are educational related issues that makes each Uconn kid a desirable Corporate Recruit--speakiing and acting professionally, as an 18 year ol kid ?? Amazing!! I wish, at 18, I had that training .

Reaction Score
Yes. Morrow was named the National Freshman of the year by WBCA. Despite her overwhelming numbers she was not named BE POY nor the BE Defensive POY and thus the rub. Morrow led the nation in RPG and was 11th in scoring. Let a UCONN player put up those kinds of numbers and not be selected for the awards and the BY would go up in flames.
The coaches voted but that still does not make it right.

Yeah, but she did it in a mid-major conference and everyone knows the quality of BB there is vastly inferior to the P-5's.

Reaction Score
I am reminded of Abraham Lincoln’s quote, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
If you and I are fools, and in that for you is doubtful, it is we care--CARE about these young ladies. If it is a love affair I have with Nika, I must write quickly to 10 others and say: I love you all equally as UConn women. As players that shall change.
Do I believe Nika Can lead this team? I really don't know if she can lead anywhere near Paige, but she can lead. Will she do her utmost to be all Geno wants--I'd bet my left big toe on it. (you can't walk properly without that toe). I say, at his point--US FANS HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BY (IF GENO CHOOSES) TO GIVE NIKA EVERY BENEFIT OF ANY DOUBTS. If that's a love affair, I love em all.

Reaction Score
I am reminded of Abraham Lincoln’s quote, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
If you and I are fools, and in that for you is doubtful, it is we care--CARE about these young ladies. If it is a love affair I have with Nika, I must write quickly to 10 others and say: I love you all equally as UConn women. As players that shall change.
Do I believe Nika Can lead this team? I really don't know if she can lead anywhere near Paige, but she can lead. Will she do her utmost to be all Geno wants--I'd bet my left big toe on it. (you can't walk properly without that toe). I say, at his point--US FANS HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BY (IF GENO CHOOSES) TO GIVE NIKA EVERY BENEFIT OF ANY DOUBTS. If that's a love affair, I love em all.

Reaction Score
Nika will do wonderful this year. Being from the part of Indiana I am in, I am excited to see her ACTUAL sister Hana Muhl play some for my hometown Ball State Cardinals. Maybe we can get Geno to schedule a game here :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, but she did it in a mid-major conference and everyone knows the quality of BB there is vastly inferior to the P-5's.
Morrow is legit and would be regardless of the conference in which she played. DePaul's played UCONN twice last year and Morrow put up beastly numbers in both games. Depaul's out of conference P5 schedule also included (Texas A&M, ND, Vandy, Northwestern, Arizona, Rutgers, Kentucky). Bolded were wins and ND and Arizona were single digit loses. This is the part where I invite you to go look at how Morrow performed in some of these games against P5 opponents.
I'm not sure what caused DePaul to crash at the end of the season when they got blitz by Marquette and Dayton in the tournament but Morrow was a beast through the season. In the Dayton tournament game she dropped 27 and 17.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on this thread and then I will happily bow out of this discussion. There is nothing wrong with identifying the areas a player needs to improve on. But that’s not just true for Nika. It’s true for everyone on the team.

The focus on Nika’s shortcomings here on the BY by some fans has been ongoing since her freshman year. First, some doubted she would ever play meaningful minutes at UConn. Then it was that she would never crack the starting lineup if everyone was healthy. Wrong and wrong again.

What I find most alarming is that some BY’ers seem to be doubling down on their criticism of Nika, to the point of appearing to hope she fails. In a sense, since Liv has moved on to the pros, Nika has become the target of the, “she’s not good enough” crowd on the BY.

With the knowledge that players, friends & family read the BY, I have always taken the position not to levy a criticism of any UConn player that I would never consider making to my own child. I have made this point here on several occasions. IMO, some of the criticism of Nika has become over the top and personal.

Here is what I know about Nika. She is a ferocious competitor, team leader and the toughest player on UConn’s roster. She improved significantly as a junior, earning the BE DPOY.

Nika will never be Paige. But if she is able to step up to become a solid pg, UConn will be a much better team. That will allow Azzi, Caroline & Lou to hunt their shot. It will improve UConn’s transition game resulting in easy baskets. It will disrupt opposing team’s half court offenses by placing constant pressure on opposing pg’s

Nika is a wonderful young lady who’s commitment to the success of UConn WBB is second to none. I am rooting for Nika to succeed as I have for every UConn Husky. We should all feel the same. So before anyone writes another criticism directed at Nika, I ask you to consider your true motivation and in the words of Herm Edwards, “Don’t hit send.”
Lol, save that for ONO's family, save that for Chrystn Williams family, save that for Megan Walker's amily, save that for Evina Westbrook's family. I won't even go back to the past players. Save it. Good luck to UConn though. But on here, the "so called" fans are SHAKY at best.

Reaction Score
As a Nika critic myself, I must fully admit that she has been singled out unfairly. I saw the same thing happen to ONO and Christin. All got more than their share of criticism. I'm trying to not participate. After we've made our points, do we really have to repeat them 20 times? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom