Nika Muhl will have expanded role | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl will have expanded role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn’t introduce the term “her team,” but it is applicable as a sort of metaphor for leadership. Lots of players contribute, but on great teams, one or two will generally emerge as the players everyone relies on at the key moments, not just for passion, but also to carry the load. Passion alone does not win championships. If you’re not one of those players, you can still have a role on the team and in its victories. When we talk about someone else stepping up after Paige’s injury, this is what we mean. We are looking for that leader, that go-to player, the one who gives everyone else the confidence to achieve great plays, too. And she does it by taking the pressure off the rest of the team so they can step up.

Right now, if I had to guess, I’d say that player will be Azzi and Caroline. They will be who everyone looks to to get that essential bucket that sparks the blowout, or the comeback or that seals a close victory.

Reaction Score
Muhl is a role player at best. Plays with intensity and wants to win (just like her teammates). She is the Hope for most people on here for some reason (kind a like Mukarat/Irwin/Bent/etc..). LOL

Reaction Score
One other problem with forcing the "leader" label on Nika is her dismal FT shooting -- 50% over 2 years. @CocoHusky has pointed this out before. This is apart from the problem of how few FTs she actually shoots. Geno seems quite reluctant to put the ball in her hands at the end of close games in part because she can't be counted on to make free throws. We should take some of the pressure off her and let her just be a contributor, someone who will probably start some games, who is likely to make some decisive defensive plays and, if she's developed a midrange game and finishing skills at the rim in the half court set, will get more assists and enable lots more open shots for her teammates.

Reaction Score
There are finally some voices of reason on this forum to counter the love affair with Nika Muhl. A wonderful young lady to be sure, but to pretend she has any natural basketball talent or skill, or the hope that she develops into a complete player at the age of 21, is pure fantasy. Don't be surprised if Azzi Fudd, is the pt. guard for many games, allowing Auriemma to have his best 5 on the court , depending on the level of competition.
I think you are dramatically underselling Nika Muhl. She's a significant player on one of the most preeminent D1 basketball teams in the country. To say she has no natural basketball talent or skills is ridiculous. I won't be surprised by what Geno does lineup-wise, but Muhl clearly has his backing and confidence.

Reaction Score
One other problem with forcing the "leader" label on Nika is her dismal FT shooting -- 50% over 2 years. @CocoHusky has pointed this out before. This is apart from the problem of how few FTs she actually shoots. Geno seems quite reluctant to put the ball in her hands at the end of close games in part because she can't be counted on to make free throws. We should take some of the pressure off her and let her just be a contributor, someone who will probably start some games, who is likely to make some decisive defensive plays and, if she's developed a midrange game and finishing skills at the rim in the half court set, will get more assists and enable lots more open shots for her teammates.
Wow, now that sounds realistic.

Reaction Score
I think you are dramatically underselling Nika Muhl. She's a significant player on one of the most preeminent D1 basketball teams in the country. To say she has no natural basketball talent or skills is ridiculous. I won't be surprised by what Geno does lineup-wise, but Muhl clearly has his backing and confidence.
It's interesting to read different perspectives on Nika. She's the classic u hate to play against her but love her when she's on ur team, and thankfully she's on my team. But during last season and I'm sure at times this upcoming season, she seems to be a bit of a lightning rod. She did win big east defensive player of the year. Geno has consistently said the team looks different when she's in the game. I mean she kinda took E's spot in the starting lineup last year.
I'm actually in the minority that doesn't think she needs to be more aggressive or score more. I think if she just plays her game she'll be fine. I feel like she is Dennis rodman, Draymond green, rajon rondo. Stats don't really do her justice, but you just want her on the floor. She's probably the penned in starter that I'm least concerned about.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's interesting to read different perspectives on Nika. She's the classic u hate to play against her but love her when she's on ur team, and thankfully she's on my team. But during last season and I'm sure at times this upcoming season, she seems to be a bit of a lightning rod. She did win big east defensive player of the year. Geno has consistently said the team looks different when she's in the game. I mean she kinda took E's spot in the starting lineup last year.
I'm actually in the minority that doesn't think she needs to be more aggressive or score more. I think if she just plays her game she'll be fine. I feel like she is Dennis rodman, Draymond green, rajon rondo. Stats don't really do her justice, but you just want her on the floor. She's probably the penned in starter that I'm least concerned about.
Dennis Rodman (Bulls version), Draymond Green, & Rajon Rondo (Celtics Version) each took the floor with a minimum of two HoF caliber players as teammates. On the current UCONN roster only Paige is of that caliber and Azzi potentially. The need for Nika to score more and be more aggressive was evident over the past two season because she became a starter due mostly to injuries. That need is now more critical since Paige will be lost for the season. It is not just Nika that needs to step up and be more aggressive it is the entire team. This is not an either or proposition- it is and. While the BE DPOY is an excellent award Nika will need to continue to play excellent defense and improve her offensive production.

Reaction Score
“Nika will be fine” but UConn will not win #12 with a starting point guard who shoots FTs at 50% (or less!) and is on the bench in the 4th quarter. Or a pg who can’t make a layup in the half court set and doesn’t have a mid range jump shot.

She’ll be fine even with these deficiencies, getting 15-20 mins/g and sitting for the 4th quarter, but the team will not. Last year, we could have her on the bench at the end of games because Paige closed out all games. We don’t have that luxury anymore.

Just for perspective, Raina Perez played heroically for NCSt the last two years. She wasn’t the top pg in the land, but she did the key things: she scored at all levels in the half court set (at the rim, the midrange, the perimeter, and the free throw line), she’d burn opponents who slacked off her, and she got steals when they needed them. Nika is a better defender than Raina was. She just needs to do the other things Raina could do and we have a shot at #12.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Once again, Bone Dog I agree 100 %. oldude what have you seen from this girl that presents any Natural Basketball ability ? She is nothing more than a limited boxer in the fight game who is a bar room brawler because of a lack of skill. Your reference to me as a fool puts you in good company as I have been referred to as such a few times .
I note that you’ve been on the BY for about a week, and have determined that Nika lacks skill and has no natural ability. One can only wonder what experience you posess to make such a negative evaluation of a player that was highly recruited and has consistently raised her level of play over her 2 years as a Husky.

When evaluating Nika’s ability, you have to start with her defense. She is quite simply the best on-ball defender in the conference. That takes tremendous SKILL. In addition Nika pushes the ball up the court well in transition, is a capable distributor and she’s become a dependable 3-pt shooter.

Nika is not Paige and never will be. But she is more than capable of being a solid pg for UConn. I have no doubt that she will be better this year than she was last year. I know this because Geno & CD have a 34 year history of successfully developing players.

One final point. If you asked Geno what kind of team he wants on the court. He would probably tell you that he’d take 5 players with Nika’s competitive drive and toughness.

Reaction Score
He would probably tell you that he’d take 5 players with Nika’s competitive drive and toughness.
Yup. That team would look like Sue, Paige, DT, Steph, Kia, Gabby, Phee, Rene, Rebecca, Bria, MoJeff, Jen, CD, to name a few… but especially Maya. That girl made plays no matter what the obstacle. All of them would hurl themselves at the game.

“Tape it up and go!”

sun

Reaction Score
You can't take away Nika's DPOY award, and last year UConn needed to focus on defense.
But with new players this year, maybe UConn can get its offensive groove back without Paige.
I'm concerned about how focusing so much on defense can slow down UConn's offense.
That's not on Nika, but an expanded role for her may necessitate increasing her production as a scorer/ facilitator.
When our defense fails to hold good opponents from scoring, UConn will need to answer with points.
And a faster and more efficient offense should help UConn beat teams that can keep the score close despite our defensive efforts.
UConn needs scorers that can attack the basket, draw fouls and capitalize while minimizing our own number of mistakes.
Whoever the weaker links are will lose PT if they don't contribute to putting points on the board one way or another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Nika will be fine” but UConn will not win #12 with a starting point guard who shoots FTs at 50% (or less!) and is on the bench in the 4th quarter. Or a pg who can’t make a layup in the half court set and doesn’t have a mid range jump shot.

She’ll be fine even with these deficiencies, getting 15-20 mins/g and sitting for the 4th quarter, but the team will not. Last year, we could have her on the bench at the end of games because Paige closed out all games. We don’t have that luxury anymore.

Just for perspective, Raina Perez played heroically for NCSt the last two years. She wasn’t the top pg in the land, but she did the key things: she scored at all levels in the half court set (at the rim, the midrange, the perimeter, and the free throw line), she’d burn opponents who slacked off her, and she got steals when they needed them. Nika is a better defender than Raina was. She just needs to do the other things Raina could do and we have a shot at #12.
I see what you're saying. I'd love for Nika to improve in the areas she struggled. I think as others pointed out, everyone needs to improve for this team to have a shot at 12. In my mind if Azzi and Caroline make a big jump into AA type players or if Dorka is really going to be a top 6 WNBA draft pick, than I think Nika can just be Nika. But if some of those things don't happen for sure Nika will have to be more potent offensively.

I am a pretty big Raina Perez fan. I think they are two different players though. Raina is actually someone I've brought up in terms of feeling confident about Lou on the big stage. Raina was a bucket and averaged near 20 ppgs a game at a lower level d1 school (good shooting percentages like Lou) before coming to NC State. I just think Raina is a really good offensive player. Though she only hit 1 shot against us (she did have 10 assist) it was like a step back 3 at the end of the shot clock. I only highlight the shot to note she's like a natural scorer but only like 5'5.

Reaction Score
Azzi and Caroline make a big jump into AA type players or if Dorka is really going to be a top 6 WNBA draft pick, than I think Nika can just be Nika. But if some of those things don't happen for sure Nika will have to be more potent offensively.
You’re right, of course. We can make a deep run, maybe even to #12, even if Nika doesn’t improve her offense. But it will take something extra from the others, as you say. That will mean Azzi playing point for the 4th quarter in March. And Caroline and Lou (and maybe even Ines!) really stepping up. And Dorka making a leap in health and dynamism. And Aaliyah not having an early season swoon. And Aubrey being Aubrey again. And Ice and Ayanna fighting their way into the main rotation. And the key players — Azzi Caroline Dorka — avoiding injury.

All these things are possible, but it’s an awful lot of IFs. The path just seems easier to imagine if Nika just picks up her offense a bit.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Leaving aside her FT shooting (which obviously needs to be fixed and can be), my biggest concern about Nika's play is her passing and court vision. People say that her bringing the ball up at a fast pace is a strength, but it can be a weakness if it means that she misses opportunities for court-length passes for layups. I recall her delivering few if any of those passes.

In fact, when she gets the ball in the back court, I am not sure I have seen her do anything other than dribble it quickly up the court. I don't think she really looks upcourt to read who is open or what might be developing. She is like a backup QB who takes one quick glance at the field before tossing to the checkdown receiver.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out how she was gifted the DPOY, when Morrow (DePaul) led the conference in rebounds, steals, at or near the top in blocks and minutes played. Muhl not in top 5 in any of those telling stats for D. What a shame for Morrow.

Reaction Score
Leaving aside her FT shooting (which obviously needs to be fixed and can be), my biggest concern about Nika's play is her passing and court vision. People say that her bringing the ball up at a fast pace is a strength, but it can be a weakness if it means that she misses opportunities for court-length passes for layups. I recall her delivering few if any of those passes.

In fact, when she gets the ball in the back court, I am not sure I have seen her do anything other than dribble it quickly up the court. I don't think she really looks upcourt to read who is open or what might be developing. She is like a backup QB who takes one quick glance at the field before tossing to the checkdown receiver.
You're right, and that's why I've said several times that she lacks the critical PG ability to see through the defense while anticipating cuts because she's focused on the traffic in front of her. And that quick, upcourt dribble can be detoured easily by a defender just jumping up on her which makes her put her head down to head for the sideline instead of controlling the middle of the floor from foul line to foul line. That's where a PG is most dangerous in transition because it opens both sides of the floor for cutters.

Reaction Score
my biggest concern about Nika's play is her passing and court vision. People say that her bringing the ball up at a fast pace is a strength, but it can be a weakness if it means that she misses opportunities for court-length passes for layups.

And that quick, upcourt dribble can be detoured easily by a defender just jumping up on her which makes her put her head down to head for the sideline instead of controlling the middle of the floor from foul line to foul line.
I dont mean to disagree with either of you, since I mainly agree. But two things stand out for me.

1. the guards who can do that effectively are rare — Sue, DT, Evina, Rene, MoJeff, to name a few. And Nika’s D generates enough fast break opportunities that I don’t mind missing out on a few of those long passes. We don’t need her to develop a rare talent like that in one summer.

2. I’m much more concerned about the half court offense. This is where I hope she focuses all her energy this summer and fall. The less the improvement she makes here, the more time Azzi has to spend at pg, and the more wear and tear generally on the other guards.

Merely moderate improvement in Nika’s half court game will be enough. If she can give us 25+ mins and be on the floor for part of the 4th quarter, that will be a huge change. If all we need is <15 mins from Azzi and Ines at pg, we may be able to accomplish something great this year.

Reaction Score
CocoHusky, very well written, and thank you for understanding my perspective . Billineckz ,JoePgh,andBobbyJ, terrific pts.

Reaction Score
It’s true Paige leaves a gaping hole. But for some of these players it may be more an opportunity than a burden. I suspect Ice and Ayanna may experience it like this. Maybe Lou as well.
Paige’s injury gives other players an opportunity for minutes. But maybe it’s not the right wording to say it’s « more an opportunity than a burden » for them. This is a team sport, and they want to win. I suspect Paige’s injury is a burden, or a bad thing, for everyone. Including Nika and especially Lou. Lou will be at UConn for only a year, and she’s going to miss the opportunity to play with Paige.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out how she was gifted the DPOY, when Morrow (DePaul) led the conference in rebounds, steals, at or near the top in blocks and minutes played. Muhl not in top 5 in any of those telling stats for D. What a shame for Morrow.
You bring up some interesting anomalies regarding the 2022 BE awards and Morrow exclusion specifically. Besides the defensive stats you presented she also led the league in scoring, yet she was not awarded the Conference Player of the Year. Don’t believe I have ever seen a player lead a conference in both rebounding and scoring and not receive that conference’s POY. Statistically Morrow should have swept the awards because in some categories she put up dominant numbers. Since these are the coaches voting maybe they just wanted to keep the freshman Morrow humble and spread out the awards. Which I don’t understand because those same coaches had no issues with Freshman Paige almost sweeping the awards just one year prior.
Yet another anomaly is regarding ONO who was the co-DPOY in ‘21, had a better statistical defensive season in ‘22, missed fewer games than Nika due to injury yet did not repeat as DPOY.

Reaction Score
One more pt. of interest, Aubrey Griffin after 2 seasons had stats that are off the charts. Based on playing 28 minutes, she would average 12 pts. 11 rebs. 3 blocks and 2.5 steals per game with consistency. She will be defending the opponents best player most often than not, health permitting.

Reaction Score
As mentioned on this thread already, Nika’s value is not often reflected in statistics. That is clearly something the BE coaches recognized. Not to mention, UConn was a better defensive team than DePaul through the BE season. So, with Nika at the head of the conference’s best defense, her accomplishment is very much valid and not merely “gifted.” UConn players are hardly ever “gifted” an award. If there is one statistic of Nika’s I would acknowledge, it would be her plus minus. I remember her having great plus-minuses throughout the NCAA tournament because of her ability to make key defensive plays, get out in transition, and start crucial runs for the team.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Big East coaches vote on the DPOY.

One thing Nika always does is hound the opposing guard bringing the ball up. When she does that, it takes 2-5 seconds off the shot clock. This both delays the opponents setting up their offense and allows UConn to set up their defense.

I suspect this factored into the decision to give her the award, but even if it didn’t, the opposing coaches thought she was the most disruptive defender.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wish there were a statistic on "turnovers forced per minute played". I think Nika would look outstanding on that stat. Between her steals and the charges that she took, she would have a ton. Also (not often noted) is the number of rebounds that she got as a fairly small guard playing a long way from the basket, in limited minutes. That was also due to hustle, pure and simple.

@CocoHusky, when Geno said that "we look different when Nika is playing", it was a definite compliment -- in context, he clearly meant "better". Remember that he replaced Evina in the starting lineup when Evina was not injured, and to my "eye test", the team looked noticeably better after that change. That lineup lasted until Paige returned, so I guess Geno agreed.

I also agree with @nastynatty that UConn's team defense factored into Nika's selection: she was the best defender on the best defensive team (and I will bet that DePaul was one of the worst defensive teams in the conference).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom