Nika Muhl will have expanded role | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl will have expanded role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this is true of social media in general & not specific to the Boneyard- see a weakness, attack it until it is dead (gives up)
Sounds about right, except that in the Boneyard we attack each other under the pretense that we’re defending the players.

Now to talk about players, I rewatched the second Marquette game from last season and in the first couple of minutes, Nika gets the ball from Liv at the top of the key, goes around a screen and pops up for an 18 foot jump shot. It didn’t go in, but this was clearly a play designed to get her that shot. Her form wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty good: two dribbles, a quick stop and pop, ball released high and at the top of her jump. She picked up 2 quick fouls almost immediately after and sat out the rest of the half. Sigh. This is exactly the shot I hope to see her take lots more of this season.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Is Nika the alpha dog? It seems that some of you are saying that.
I'll bet that Azzi's mom wishes that Azzi could be a PG because she was a PG and named Azzi after a famous PG.
If Azzi's mom wishes it then Azzi probably has some desire too.
After all it's Azzi's namesake, and Geno is also aware of this.
I'll bet that mom & Azzi have also discussed it.
I don't see how Geno could possibly avoid giving Azzi a try at PG.
At the very least the PG duties will be shared and performed by committee. because it's necessary to have more than 1 PG.
I think that who the primary PG should be is a question of leadership, skill, dedication, health, and how well the UConn offense performs overall considering all of its various parts and how well they perform together with practice.
I don't know which player is the best PG on the team w/o Paige, but obviously Geno's actions will reflect his preference.
It's a new year with a new & urgent need at PG.
It's a long season, a lot of stuff can happen and some can play more than 1 position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll bet that Azzi's mom wishes that Azzi could be a PG because she was a PG and named Azzi after a famous PG.
If Azzi's mom wishes it then Azzi probably has some desire too.
After all it's Azzi's namesake, and Geno is also aware of this.
I'll bet that mom & Azzi have also discussed it.
I don't see how Geno could possibly avoid giving Azzi a try at PG.
At the very least the PG duties will be shared and performed by committee. because it's necessary to have more than 1 PG.
I think that who the primary PG should be is a question of leadership, skill, dedication, health, and how well the UConn offense performs overall considering all of its various parts and how well they perform together with practice.
I don't know which player is the best PG on the team w/o Paige, but obviously Geno's actions will reflect his preference.
It's a new year with a new & urgent need at PG.
It's a long season, a lot of stuff can happen and some can play more than 1 position.
I believe the PG has a major role in the success of the team. A PG needs to know the strengths and weaknesses of every player on the floor. It is her job to handle the BB against pressure exerted by the opponents and to provide the best shots available to her teammates. Most players have “a spot” where they feel most comfortable taking a shot and it is the PG responsibility to know each of her teammates spots and get the ball to the player most likely to complete the play. Paige is a great passer and shooter, that combination does not come around very often, IMO, no player on next years team can replace Paige so Geno will need a PG to play to her strengths, Nika driving to the basket and concentrate on getting the ball to the right player in the right place or Azzi shooting threes from the outside. The question to me is who is the better “quarterback” for the good of the team.

sun

Reaction Score
I believe the PG has a major role in the success of the team. A PG needs to know the strengths and weaknesses of every player on the floor. It is her job to handle the BB against pressure exerted by the opponents and to provide the best shots available to her teammates. Most players have “a spot” where they feel most comfortable taking a shot and it is the PG responsibility to know each of her teammates spots and get the ball to the player most likely to complete the play. Paige is a great passer and shooter, that combination does not come around very often, IMO, no player on next years team can replace Paige so Geno will need a PG to play to her strengths, Nika driving to the basket and concentrate on getting the ball to the right player in the right place or Azzi shooting threes from the outside. The question to me is who is the better “quarterback” for the good of the team.
For me, one question is who are the 3 best UConn guards that should be on floor during crunch time in a close game against a good team.
Bringing the ball up court in a secure fashion is not necessarily rocket science.
If it were, Azzi just might have a Ph.D. in ball handling skills.
Quite often, there's not any one single player that can do it all with perfection.
But PG's can be graded based on each action that they perform considering who else is on the court.
If Nika is on the court someone else will be forced off the court.
The question is which players does Geno want on the court more often than not?
Which will make less mistakes and be able to stimulate the offense.
That's not even mentioning defense because we don't know how every other new player stacks up.
Big East teams won't present as much of a problem as ranked teams.
Yet new PG's still need to get experience, especially with the new players.
What we do know is that we couldn't beat Scar with Paige at PG with last year's players.
With the new players it's all new team chemistry and a chance to build a new road to the FF.
Developing optimal team efficiency is the goal that can make it happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, here's an example (and Sun I don't mean to pick on you):

Actually, if Azi, Caroline, AE, Dorka et. al., is on the court someone else will be forced off. For reasons not explained, only Nika was singled out by name.

Azzi could very well be the best shooting guard in the country this year (until Paige comes back next year). In the half court set bringing the ball up, the first thing a PG has to do is call a play and pass the ball. I don't want Azzi doing that for the exact same reason I didn't like Paige doing that. I want Azzi being the pointy end of the spear and receiving that pass, not making it. So, what's the solution? Nika! Go gnat!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Actually, if Azi, Caroline, AE, Dorka et. al., is on the court someone else will be forced off. For reasons not explained, only Nika was singled out by name.

Azzi could very well be the best shooting guard in the country this year (until Paige comes back next year). In the half court set bringing the ball up, the first thing a PG has to do is call a play and pass the ball. I don't want Azzi doing that for the exact same reason I didn't like Paige doing that. I want Azzi being the pointy end of the spear and receiving that pass, not making it. So, what's the solution? Nika! Go gnat!
:eek: Seriously? Do you have to have a reason to single out Nika considering this entire thread is about Nika and her expanded role?
shocked will ferrell GIF by Anchorman Movie

Reaction Score
While I have never been a big fan of Nika's offense, I am starting to come around, perhaps for different reasons than some. I believe that Fudd's outside game and Dorka's inside game will cause other teams to do more switching, creating expanded opportunities for Nika 3-pointers. Hoping that all the comments about Nika driving more, etc. come true, but Nika is a solid open shooter and making 2-3 more outside shots a game would be significant for UConn's offense.

Reaction Score

While home in Croatia, Muhl got the word “loyalty” written in cursive tattooed on the right side of her neck. It’s her 16th tattoo.
You can tell we are still short on basketball news when the writers start commenting on the number of tattoos individual players have.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You can tell we are still short on basketball news when the writers start commenting on the number of tattoos individual players have.
I welcome news that personalizes our players as well as on court news

Reaction Score
A major key, obviously is how players not named Azzi shoot the 3. Last year, as much as we love her, people could sort of lag off Christyn because she was so inconsistent from the outside. If Lou and Caroline can shoot between 38%-43% from 3, we will be a much different team, especially if Amari makes a sophomore leap as she is surely a skilled passer from the high post and can find open shooters.

Reaction Score
A major key, obviously is how players not named Azzi shoot the 3. Last year, as much as we love her, people could sort of lag off Christyn because she was so inconsistent from the outside. If Lou and Caroline can shoot between 38%-43% from 3, we will be a much different team, especially if Amari makes a sophomore leap as she is surely a skilled passer from the high post and can find open shooters.
This sounds just right. Our bigs had to deal with a clogged lane because the outside shooting was sketchy for much of the year. When I think about Cameron Brink, who had a very good year, well she didn't have to deal with a clogged lane and constant double teams. Let Dorka and Aaliyah not have to deal with all the double teams and they could have breakout years, maybe Amari too.

sun

Reaction Score

The thread is about Nika and the reasons why she may or may not have an expanded role this year.
She can't be the only PG on the team.
It's a matter of how much time she will be the PG, whether she will play PG 20% or 80% of the time or somewhere in between.
Looking at how Nika playing PG will affect the PT of other guards could very well be a consideration that Geno may take into account when he decides how much PT that she will get at PG.
If she's the best PG then she will get more PT.
If her playing PG doesn't produce better than when having other guards on the court, then she'll play less.
It may depend on which team they're playing and how it pans out.
Playing PG seemed to be a position played by committee last year until Paige returned.
Things may or may not be different this year, that depends on Geno and circumstances.
I'm sure that you would agree that Geno needs to train someone else to play PG, maybe 2 or 3 others besides Nika based on which sub package is on the court and which players could become injured or in foul trouble,
If a player is having a bad day then I would expect them to be given a short leash, so that someone else can excel

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'm expecting flashbacks to 2015-19, with fans screaming, "Lou." The past 3 years, Lou 2 shot .392, .407, and .409 from the arc. That was with the defense focused on her. I think Azzi will draw more of the defensive attention this year.

Reaction Score
I still think the best team on the floor has Azzi at PG. Lou has the sklills and experience to take on a lot of Paige's duties and even seems to have a similar game in terms of making good decisions and knowing how to get her shot off as well as be judicious in taking them. Azzi can penetrate AND make the pull up jumper. Lots of point guards are also great scorers. No need to type cast the PG as a passer only. Look at Rori Harmon's game. Azzi would be similar with a better jump shot from 3.

Reaction Score
I still think the best team on the floor has Azzi at PG. Lou has the sklills and experience to take on a lot of Paige's duties and even seems to have a similar game in terms of making good decisions and knowing how to get her shot off as well as be judicious in taking them. Azzi can penetrate AND make the pull up jumper. Lots of point guards are also great scorers. No need to type cast the PG as a passer only. Look at Rori Harmon's game. Azzi would be similar with a better jump shot from 3.
I think Caroline will play a more central role than Lou. But I am hopeful Lou will grow into a substantial role of her own. They’re both big and can rebound, though Caroline is a little taller. Lou may be a little quicker. I like Lou’s ability to drive into the paint as well as Caroline’s.

I’m not sure about your comparison of Azzi to Rory Harmon. Azzi has much greater offensive skills, not just a better jump shot. Harmon is a lot quicker, and can be a formidable defender even at 5’5”. Like Diamond Johnson on NC State, she’s disruptive and has an awesome jabstep. There’s much to admire in both of them, but neither is even remotely the scorer Azzi is. I also think Azzi is more of a floor presence than either of them was last year. When she’s on the floor, the entire opposing team has to keep an eye on her on offense — the threat she poses is just too great.

Reaction Score
I think Caroline will play a more central role than Lou. But I am hopeful Lou will grow into a substantial role of her own. They’re both big and can rebound, though Caroline is a little taller. Lou may be a little quicker. I like Lou’s ability to drive into the paint as well as Caroline’s.

I’m not sure about your comparison of Azzi to Rory Harmon. Azzi has much greater offensive skills, not just a better jump shot. Harmon is a lot quicker, and can be a formidable defender even at 5’5”. Like Diamond Johnson on NC State, she’s disruptive and has an awesome jabstep. There’s much to admire in both of them, but neither is even remotely the scorer Azzi is. I also think Azzi is more of a floor presence than either of them was last year. When she’s on the floor, the entire opposing team has to keep an eye on her on offense — the threat she poses is just too great.
You got to be kidding. Azzi is good, but to say Johnson and Harmon (2 of the Elite guards in the nation are not "remotely" the scorer Azzi is sounds ridiculous. Watch more games. Out of the 3, I'm taking Johnson.

Reaction Score
You got to be kidding. Azzi is good, but to say Johnson and Harmon (2 of the Elite guards in the nation are not "remotely" the scorer Azzi is sounds ridiculous. Watch more games. Out of the 3, I'm taking Johnson.
Nope. Not kidding. Bear in mind we’re comparing someone I expect to be a generational talent at shooting guard with two natural point guards. Their skills are not going to line up perfectly.

And for the record, I love Harmon and Johnson. Texas beat Stanford on Harmon’s shoulders — a freshman did that. But if we want independent testimony, Wes Moore didn’t think he could use Johnson in place of Perez last year, and in the E8 she only played limited minutes. By contrast, there is simply no way Geno would sit Azzi more than he absolutely had to last season. As soon as she was healthy, she carried the load at shooting guard for the rest of the season. This was on the #2 team in the country.

All this said, I can hardly wait for the Texas game, and we can see Azzi and Rory on the same court together. Won’t that be awesome!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Muhl is a role player at best. Plays with intensity and wants to win (just like her teammates). She is the Hope for most people on here for some reason (kind a like Mukarat/Irwin/Bent/etc..). LOL
True, but tht role is to steady the team whns she's at the point and play bothersome defense, she does both very well, to minimize her importance is an insult to her, sometimes we get too hung up on scoring numbers to notice the unnoticed thgs, im guilty of tht myself.

Reaction Score
Nope. Not kidding. Bear in mind we’re comparing someone I expect to be a generational talent at shooting guard with two natural point guards. Their skills are not going to line up perfectly.

And for the record, I love Harmon and Johnson. Texas beat Stanford on Harmon’s shoulders — a freshman did that. But if we want independent testimony, Wes Moore didn’t think he could use Johnson in place of Perez last year, and in the E8 she only played limited minutes. By contrast, there is simply no way Geno would sit Azzi more than he absolutely had to last season. As soon as she was healthy, she carried the load at shooting guard for the rest of the season. This was on the #2 team in the country.

All this said, I can hardly wait for the Texas game, and we can see Azzi and Rory on the same court together. Won’t that be awesome!
What testimony? The Coach chose to play his Senior - Perez, who had just won the last game for him in crunch time. And Lol, who else is UConn going to play - they don't have anybody else. Texas/UConn will be a good one indeed. Johnson will be a Shining Star this season. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
True, but tht role is to steady the team whns she's at the point and play bothersome defense, she does both very well, to minimize her importance is an insult to her, sometimes we get too hung up on scoring numbers to notice the unnoticed thgs, im guilty of tht myself.
Who minimized her importance? You folks should stop being hung up on her points. Her role is not that of a scorer. She is a role player (as stated), just like the others outlined were. Most people on here fantasize about her being this great player/defensive this-that/etc. Currently, she's not that. Again, that's my take.

Reaction Score
What testimony? The Coach chose to play his Senior - Perez, who had just won the last game for him in crunch time. And Lol, who else is UConn going to play - they don't have anybody else. Texas/UConn will be a good one indeed. Johnson will be a Shining Star this season. Stay tuned.
I’ve never heard of a div 1 coach who doesn’t play his best players. I don’t think Wes Moore is a fool. But, what do I know? And, lol, Geno could have played Evina or Nika in preference to Azzi, as well as Caroline once the concussion protocol ended. Still, I get your point — the bench was thin at times. Maybe this will help: Evina would have started at the 2 for either Texas or NC St last year. If you doubt it, ask yourself who plays in the W. But she took a seat in favor of Azzi. You may disagree with my assessment but I think you should consider the nature of apples-oranges arguments.

Reaction Score
I’ve never heard of a div 1 coach who doesn’t play his best players. I don’t think Wes Moore is a fool. But, what do I know? And, lol, Geno could have played Evina or Nika in preference to Azzi, as well as Caroline once the concussion protocol ended. Still, I get your point — the bench was thin at times. Maybe this will help: Evina would have started at the 2 for either Texas or NC St last year. If you doubt it, ask yourself who plays in the W. But she took a seat in favor of Azzi. You may disagree with my assessment but I think you should consider the nature of apples-oranges arguments.
Lol, what are talking about, that's all this whole forum is - Apples/Oranges. Who really cares what who thinks.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Who minimized her importance? You folks should stop being hung up on her points. Her role is not that of a scorer. She is a role player (as stated), just like the others outlined were. Most people on here fantasize about her being this great player/defensive this-that/etc. Currently, she's not that. Again, that's my take.
Let me try this again, was it not you tht said tht she's a role player at best, whn in all honesty EVERY player has a role to play and some roles don't involve scoring a bunch of points......Better?

Reaction Score
Lol, what are talking about, that's all this whole forum is - Apples/Oranges. Who really cares what who thinks.
That’s a strange remark. If you mean no meaningful discussion is possible, one might wonder why you’re still here. Perhaps you mean something else.

Reaction Score
That’s a strange remark. If you mean no meaningful discussion is possible, one might wonder why you’re still here. Perhaps you mean something else.
Really, the comment is not hard to comprehend. But, you can make it to be whatever you want it to be. Thus the last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom