Nika Muhl at Seattle | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl at Seattle

Reaction Score
This morning (Tuesday June 25) I was wondering how Nika was working out in Seattle so I went to the Storm Website to look at her statistics and found the following info: Very strange that she hasn't been used like they talked about preseason!

Recent Game Stats​

View All Stats
DateMatchupResultMINPTSFGMFGAFGM-33PM-AOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPF
06.19.2024SEA
@
LVA
L10000000000000
06.11.2024SEA
vs.
LAS
W10000000010001
06.09.2024SEA
@
MIN
L10000000000000
06.04.2024SEA
vs.
PHO
W10000000000000
05.30.2024SEA
@
IND
W50010100000013

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Disappointing for sure.

Lots of experienced, highly paid (by WNBA standards) all star level talent at the guard position in Seattle.

Loyd gets about 35 minutes a game, Diggins-Smith 32. Horston is playing well and just moved into the starting lineup over Vivians, the two combined average about 38. Whitcomb, a seven year veteran, gets about 15. That adds up to 120. None of them have missed a game.

Seems like a lot of their games whether wins or losses have a margin of about 10 points, hence the big minutes for the starters.

Not surprisingly, Nika remains upbeat. I think that she will find a fit in the WNBA, but it will require patience.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The WNBA is the best women's basketball in the world. Nika is getting the opportunity to compete (a little during games, but a lot during practice) against that high-level competition and learn how they prepare and what is expected of them as pro athletes. All of that is invaluable.

Most professional women's basketball players make most of their money, endorsements aside, from playing in Europe. Being a WNBA player certainly enhances her résumé so that she can have a more rewarding Europe pro contract. That is another huge plus from her tenure with Seattle. I also have to think the way the Storm was promoting her, particularly early on, positioned her to get decent endorsement deals.

I will say that I did not think it was a given that Nika would be drafted by a WNBA team. Her measurables and statistics are deceiving in that regard. She's not the tallest or fastest player out there and she didn't rack up a ton of points during her college career. On the other hand, she did rack up a record number of assists, which one would think would be attractive to programs that already have scorers at virtually every position. Also, we saw that she scored when needed and when left open, so having her on the court isn't a vulnerability where the opposing team can effectively play five on four on defense.

Nika's greatest asset, in my view, is her indomitable will. Man, that kid likes to compete and takes every possession personally. That's a huge benefit, but it's one that doesn't show up on paper. At least not readily.

So, to sum up what ended up being too long a post, Nika got drafted by a great team, which gives her a learning opportunity and improves her résumé and name recognition. All of those are good things.

Reaction Score
We all want Nika to get some minutes with Seattle, but we all knew that cracking the rotation was going to be tough for Nika. All we can hope for is for Nika to remain positive, be a great teammate at practice, and just be Nika. We all know that Nika will find a role to fill on that team and be Nika. Her time will come. She just has to be that energy at practice, on the bench, in the locker room, and on the team bus or team flight.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The real bummer about Nika's lack of minutes is that she apparently beat out Aussie Jade Melbourne in Seattle training camp and Melbourne was traded to Washington for a 3rd round pick. While Nika sits on the bench in Seattle Jade is getting lots of PT in Washington. Too bad it didn't happen the other way around. Then Nika could have been playing with AE and Dolson. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Reaction Score
What has surprised me is that they wouldn't put her in against other rookies like Caitlin Clark. Nika has a record of experience and knowledge on how to successfully guard her in particular that I would think a coach would want to exploit.

Reaction Score
It's a pro league, not a developmental league.
Developmental league is vastly different than "developing" into an everyday professional player. The WBNA is full of players who were not big time college super stars, but through consistent WNBA playing time "developed" into legitimate professionals who have had great careers. Nika needs more playing time. If Seattle prefers her picking splinters out of her backside, then trade her to a team that needs her. Just sayin'!

Reaction Score
Developmental league is vastly different than "developing" into an everyday professional player. The WBNA is full of players who were not big time college super stars, but through consistent WNBA playing time "developed" into legitimate professionals who have had great careers. Nika needs more playing time. If Seattle prefers her picking splinters out of her backside, then trade her to a team that needs her. Just sayin'!
Seattle is not obligated to develop a second round draft pick, who may not be in the league for long. They are obligated to do what is in THEIR best interest, not UConn's fans.

Reaction Score
Piggy-backing: pro leagues, by necessity are both. Sort of a contiguous sliding scale: proven veterans who produce daily -> rising stars playing key supporting roles -> top draft picks -> developmental prospects.

The process is admittedly accelerated in the WNBA with so few roles for so many in the talent pool. But player development for an ongoing concern, would seem critical at all levels. Especially in leagues with salary caps (real or de-facto), where cheap productive players facilitate spending on stars.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Seattle is not obligated to develop a second round draft pick, who may not be in the league for long. They are obligated to do what is in THEIR best interest, not UConn's fans.
They’re not obligated to play someone 35 minutes a game who’s shooting 34% from the floor and 23% from 3. It’s been 3 years since Jewell has shot 40% from the floor. She’s had an eFG above 50% twice in ten years.

Jewell does bring other things, but in my eyes, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to sit Jewell for a few minutes and try to get Nneka, who’s consistently among the league leaders in field-goal percentage, a few more shots.

Reaction Score
Viet Vet- - - The point is if they didn't think she had the talent to play in the WNBA why did they draft her at all!
They said after the draft her "qualities" she displayed at UConn were what they wanted in their players!
So if she's healthy why not have her use those "qualities" which she can't do sitting on the bench or playing 1 minute per game!

Reaction Score
You do realize that there are a few 2nd round picks that have had successful WNBA careers? Natasha Cloud is one. Not a big scorer at her position and same height as Muhl. With the rising popularity of the WNBA, and Muhl's personality she has a chance of being in the league for a few years. While basketball skills are crucial to making it in the league, marketability and other intangibles can be just as important. Not sure why UConn and wbb basketball fans are eager to see her fail.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
There are some that just can’t seem to let go of their hate. Head bang

There was some guy that posted a YouTube video something about 10 reasons UConn was going to be really good this year. Somehow Nika and her fouling being gone was a reason the team was going to be really good this year. :eek:

Really? Causes me to remember an old saying, something to the effect of “you can help someone who’s ignorant but you can’t fix stupid”.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

There was some guy that posted a YouTube video something about 10 reasons UConn was going to be really good this year. Somehow Nika and her fouling being gone was a reason the team was going to be really good this year. :eek:

Really? Causes me to remember an old saying, something to the effect of “you can help someone who’s ignorant but you can’t fix stupid”.
I watched that video and it really pissed me off. It was the back-to-sports guy, the one that said Nika had no chance to make the Storms roster.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, she will be out of the WNBA and playing in Europe next year. I always thought that was her ultimate landing spot. She’s just not quite good enough to be a WNBA player she has strengths but not enough to be a long-term WNBA player.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I watched that video and it really pissed me off. It was the back-to-sports guy, the one that said Nika had no chance to make the Storms roster.
That was when the Storm still had Jade Melborne on their roster. Also, before Alaina Coates and Kaela Davis were waived by the Storm. It's difficult to make accurate personnel predictions without knowing how the roster might be changing. It's like predicting a UConn starting lineup without knowing who might get injured.

Reaction Score

One more time..
Nika’s foibles were always errors of commission. She doesn’t have a lazy bone in her body.
Which is why Geno ( and we, for the most part) put up with the inexplicable fouls & boneheaded passes.
Her intangibles are what will eventually get her those minutes.
Someone will figure out that the team plays better when she’s on the floor.
But it will take some time.
As for Nika’s “fouling “, perhaps someone knows precisely how many times Nika fouled out of a game in 4 years.

Reaction Score
Perimeter defense? The Liberty needs it badly....very badly.....and they had a chance to get her. The one they took, Davis, isn't playing much more than Nika.

Lucky for Melbourne - she is showing what she can do now....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One more time..
Nika’s foibles were always errors of commission. She doesn’t have a lazy bone in her body.
Which is why Geno ( and we, for the most part) put up with the inexplicable fouls & boneheaded passes.
Her intangibles are what will eventually get her those minutes.
Someone will figure out that the team plays better when she’s on the floor.
But it will take some time.
As for Nika’s “fouling “, perhaps someone knows precisely how many times Nika fouled out of a game in 4 years.
Nika fouled out four times, three this past season. One of those was to put the opposition on the line at the end of the game. Might have been the case vs South Carolina the previous year, I don’t remember.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Tiffany Hayes, Dorka Juhasz, Dijonae Carrington, and Allie Quigley were all second round picks who had or have very good WNBA careers.

Jade Melbourne hardly played in Seattle, but is now doing very well for the Mystics. If the Storm had kept Melbourne and traded Nika to Washington, would she now be doing as well for the Mystics as Melbourne has done, and would Jade still be riding the pine in Seattle?

Becky Hammon wasn't picked in the second round -- she wasn't drafted at all (too small and too slow, supposedly). If the rookie Hammon were sitting on Seattle's bench in 2024, would she ever see the floor?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom