Nika Muhl at Seattle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl at Seattle

KCD

Reaction Score
Seattle could also really use Nike's 3-point shooting. She is considerably better than either of their starting guards. Her 3-point shooting is close to their overall shooting %. Both are shooting in the low 40% range overall this year. I would think that Nike would get a look for that reason alone.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, she will be out of the WNBA and playing in Europe next year. I always thought that was her ultimate landing spot. She’s just not quite good enough to be a WNBA player she has strengths but not enough to be a long-term WNBA player.
Maybe, but it's early. I look at a player like Bridget Carleton who some thought wouldn't do much after getting cut by Connecticut, who originally drafted her, also in the 2nd round. It's now been several years and she's having one of her best seasons. It's too soon to write off anyone in the league who are playing their first season.

Reaction Score
I think Nika will get more PT next season. She needs to ease into the Storm first and prove she can put up good minutes, because her competitors are tough to beat out. At most I see her getting 5-10 minutes next season when she plays with them a little more and participates in the Euroleague a bit.

It’s unfortunate players aren’t given a fair chance to develop, but Nika’s lucky she made the roster. Other rookies haven’t been so fortunate in the past. She’s gaining experience and mentorship from some of the best, she’ll be ready some day.

Reaction Score
There are some that just can’t seem to let go of their hate. Head bang

There was some guy that posted a YouTube video something about 10 reasons UConn was going to be really good this year. Somehow Nika and her fouling being gone was a reason the team was going to be really good this year. :eek:

Really? Causes me to remember an old saying, something to the effect of “you can help someone who’s ignorant but you can’t fix stupid”.
That guy has some of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. We’re gonna be missing a key part of defense and somehow he thinks it’s better for us?

I only watch his player analysis, because they’re semi-accurate. Anything else is a skip.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to stay optimistic about Nika's prospect but am worried. It looks like this guy has the same perspective
A little too much inference about second round draft picks without qualifying context:
  • Indiana (Celeste Taylor) had three successive abysmal seasons, and two #1 and one #2 draft picks and a newish coach (hired in 2023) later, still finds itself one of the four worst teams this season; the roster change (Dantas for Taylor) augurs for Indiana not purposefully tanking to join the Bueckers lottery;
  • Las Vegas (Dyaisha Fair) was dealing with Gray’s injury and Parker’s retirement, made several roster moves: drafting and keeping Martin, drafting and waiving 5’5” Fair, signing Tiffany Hayes, waiving Cannon and signing NY’s waived 2nd round draft pick 6’5 Jessika Carter;
  • Seattle made big offseason personnel changes and while the changes are seemingly paying off (they had the 2nd-worst record last year), revamped rosters like NY last year take time to fully click; Nika is the only rookie on the 12-player roster, a popular inexpensive insurance and seemingly valuable player that Seattle chose to keep while grappling mightily with its salary cap.
Nika is more talented than some drafted UConn guards who played in the WNBA. But only Nika has quite a dedicated set of tiresome detractors (obviously not you), quite possibly wishing Geno never recruited Nika despite Geno’s and the team’s endorsement of Nika.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, she will be out of the WNBA and playing in Europe next year. I always thought that was her ultimate landing spot. She’s just not quite good enough to be a WNBA player she has strengths but not enough to be a long-term WNBA player.
I personally think Muhl will be in both; she will play in Turkey (I believe she is already under contract to do so), and after that commitment she absolutely will be back playing in the WNBA. This is not a Dooms-Day scenario for her to be part of the Storm, gaining experience as a Rookie, even while not receiving a ton of playing time. Same goes with Lou Lopez-Senechal down in Dallas. Those two are in the League, earning a paycheck, while gaining experience and notoriety; a much, much better position than what Chrystyn Williams and/or Evina Westbrook are in.

Let's also remember, next summer the WNBA will have an additional team. With that additional team, there will be an equivalent number of players as an entire Draft Round added to the WNBA numbers. In essence, all of those who have previously not made a team being drafted out of the Second Round and/or cut from a team (Zia Cooke, Abby Meyers, Celeste Taylor, Dyaisha Fair, Esmery Martinez, Taiyanna Jackson, ...) that type of equivalent talent, will be making a team next season as well as two or three out of the Third Round.

Reaction Score
I personally think Muhl will be in both; she will play in Turkey (I believe she is already under contract to do so), and after that commitment she absolutely will be back playing in the WNBA. This is not a Dooms-Day scenario for her to be part of the Storm, gaining experience as a Rookie, even while not receiving a ton of playing time. Same goes with Lou Lopez-Senechal down in Dallas. Those two are in the League, earning a paycheck, while gaining experience and notoriety; a much, much better position than what Chrystyn Williams and/or Evina Westbrook are in.

Let's also remember, next summer the WNBA will have an additional team. With that additional team, there will be an equivalent number of players as an entire Draft Round added to the WNBA numbers. In essence, all of those who have previously not made a team being drafted out of the Second Round and/or cut from a team (Zia Cooke, Abby Meyers, Celeste Taylor, Dyaisha Fair, Esmery Martinez, Taiyanna Jackson, ...) that type of equivalent talent, will be making a team next season as well as two or three out of the Third Round.

One correction. Zia Cooke is still on the Sparks roster. She's an another example to support your point regarding Nika and Lou.

Reaction Score
They are winning without her, and she’s still got a ways to be a good fill in on a wnba roster. I’m not really sure where she has earned more minutes. I think she’s just learning right now and we will see how it goes over the next couple years. Her future might not even be with the storm going forward. Sometimes it takes the right situation for a player to flourish. I wish her all the best and want to see her do well, but I think this forum hypes her abilities a little more than what is reality. She’s gonna get her time, it’s just not right now

Reaction Score
So Muhl and Melbourne are a sliding doors moment which will forever link them?

How about Morgan Bertsch and Alanna Smith. Bertsch won the starting spot last season in Sky's training camp, then when she got injured Smith shined. Fast forward to Free Agency this past off season and Smith signs 2 year deal with Lynx at $150k per, while Bertsch signs for the minimum and has already been waived twice this season (Mercury & Wings).

There are so many stories of players persevering (Smith herself was glued to the bench her first 3 years, playing for her National coach no less). Nika is amazing but she is no more deserving of rotation minutes than countless other players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom