Nika Muhl at Seattle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl at Seattle

Reaction Score
I watched the Seattle vs Chicago game last night. I think Seattle made a big mistake not playing Nika at least for a few minutes. Guard Chennedy Carter was scoring at will. No one could stop her All game. I couldn’t help but think that Nika would have been able to affect her game and prevent some of her points, which could have made a difference to win the game. Paige was at the game, and not that Nika needs a motivator, but Nika would have been so psyched to have the opportunity to shut Carter down with Paige watching. Yes, Seattle is loaded with veterans, but with the grueling schedule of the WNBA, it’s obvious they are getting worn down. Fresh legs and defensive tenacity could have helped Seattle pull off the win. When Nika got a few minutes defending Arike the other night, she was smothering her like the pesky gnat she can be, and made Arike pass rather than shoot. That is saying something.

And on another subject, Angel Reese is quickly becoming a rising star. She is going to challenge Clark for rookie of the year! Check out one of her games and stats.. Although controversial at times, she is playing at a record setting level!
Yeah I don’t want to sound like a Nika cultist, but they really should’ve given her a chance to see if she could make a dent in Carter’s game. Like OP said, she was a menace to Arike for the 2 minutes she was out there, at the very least she could’ve given a tired Seattle player a break for a minute or two.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Fans want to see Nika succeed. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it's hard to see a fan favourite not succeeding as quickly as one would hope. I think it's just a matter of time. With all of the veterans around her to learn from, she's in a great situation.
My take is Nika has succeeded beautifully, and in my mind exceeded all expressions that I had of this kid from Croatia coming to UConn.

I typically don’t watch the WNBA other than to check on how the UConn grads are doing for 2-3 partial games. I don’t follow the grads that start their careers in medical or legal or research or industry fields. I simply no longer see them as kids/young adults, their adults now, having their life.

Majic Hands

Reaction Score
I watched the Seattle vs Chicago game last night. I think Seattle made a big mistake not playing Nika at least for a few minutes. Guard Chennedy Carter was scoring at will. No one could stop her All game. I couldn’t help but think that Nika would have been able to affect her game and prevent some of her points, which could have made a difference to win the game. Paige was at the game, and not that Nika needs a motivator, but Nika would have been so psyched to have the opportunity to shut Carter down with Paige watching. Yes, Seattle is loaded with veterans, but with the grueling schedule of the WNBA, it’s obvious they are getting worn down. Fresh legs and defensive tenacity could have helped Seattle pull off the win. When Nika got a few minutes defending Arike the other night, she was smothering her like the pesky gnat she can be, and made Arike pass rather than shoot. That is saying something.

And on another subject, Angel Reese is quickly becoming a rising star. She is going to challenge Clark for rookie of the year! Check out one of her games and stats.. Although controversial at times, she is playing at a record setting level!
:(
Goodness I was thinking this is post was getting a thumbs up an then the last paragraph that was “really” off topic.

Reaction Score
:(
Goodness I was thinking this is post was getting a thumbs up a then the last paragraph that was “really” off topic.
Just threw that in because I was so impressed last night with this young player. You are correct though. I shouldn’t have put that in with this subject. My bad. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don’t want to sound like a Nika cultist, but they really should’ve given her a chance to see if she could make a dent in Carter’s game. Like OP said, she was a menace to Arike for the 2 minutes she was out there, at the very least she could’ve given a tired Seattle player a break for a minute or two.
I thought the same thing. She made a few rookie mistakes in her 7 minutes against Dallas, but once she got comfortable, she did well against Arike and went for rebounds against players with at least 4 inches on her. In this game Sami, wasn't giving Seattle anying offensive wise, so I don't know why Noelle didn't put Nika in at the end of the third as a spark. Honestly, I think it's a lack of trust and foresight in using the bench and a rookie when Noelle knows she has elite starters. It seems she rather lose with the starters than risk it with something new.

Reaction Score
From an article about Nika in The Next ( didn’t post link because of paywall to access).

"I see a lot of people questioning my coach's decisions and I know it might seem like it's coming from a good spirit, but I love my coach and I think her decisions are amazing and I respect them.
"I gotta earn my spot, simple as that. And while I'm earning my spot, I'm having fun and I'm growing and I'm learning — so getting those minutes today is huge. And I'm just waiting for my opportunity and I love waiting for it too."

Jewell Lloyd: "She's been a really good teammate," Loyd said. "She's been really locked in and she works her butt off. I don't think people see that side — we always see what happens in the game but she's always the first one in the gym and always doing what she needs to do — so she's a really good pro.”

Noelle Quinn:
"If you look at the makeup of our team [this season], it's just difficult," Storm head coach Noelle Quinn told The Next. "You have multiple people in front of [Nika] — we have vets, we have experience, talent, and all of those things that come into play when we're trying to get wins in a tough league."

Majic Hands

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. She made a few rookie mistakes in her 7 minutes against Dallas, but once she got comfortable, she did well against Arike and went for rebounds against players with at least 4 inches on her. In this game Sami, wasn't giving Seattle anying offensive wise, so I don't know why Noelle didn't put Nika in at the end of the third as a spark. Honestly, I think it's a lack of trust and foresight in using the bench and a rookie when Noelle knows she has elite starters. It seems she rather lose with the starters than risk it with something new.
:)

Watched a lot of the first game to see if she got to play. Watched a bit of the second or third game now I just checked the stats.

Reaction Score
It comes as no surprise that Nika herself seems to have a sane and mature way of looking at the current situation. But there are far worse things to be in this world than a Nika cultist. :) So, of course I want to see her play more. Preferably soon.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no idea why some Uconn fans are up in arms about Nika not playing. I would have thought they should know what it is like seeing players glued to the bench watching the Uconn team.
I know, right? I don't know why they just don't give all the kids equal playing time? I mean that's how they do it in five-year-old rec soccer and it seems fair to me! Isn't making sure every player gets their chance on the court more important than, you know, actually trying to win?

And another thing, why don't they let the players at UConn eat orange slices on the bench? My kids used to love those orange slices. I mean, sure the basketball will get a little sticky, but that seems more than worth it to see their little smiles light up on their faces when they are eating those orange slices!

That's the problem with high-level college sports and pro sports these days in my opinion there's too much focus on winning and not enough focus on randomly equal playing time and orange slices. My motto is:

"If you had fun, you won!" Or maybe "If the playing time is the same, it's a fun game!" I think both of those should be painted in the locker rooms at Connecticut.

Time for me to send another email to the athletic director! I really think he loves my suggestions!

Reaction Score
I know, right? I don't know why they just don't give all the kids equal playing time? I mean that's how they do it in five-year-old rec soccer and it seems fair to me! Isn't making sure every player gets their chance on the court more important than, you know, actually trying to win?

And another thing, why don't they let the players at UConn eat orange slices on the bench? My kids used to love those orange slices. I mean, sure the basketball will get a little sticky, but that seems more than worth it to see their little smiles light up on their faces when they are eating those orange slices!

That's the problem with high-level college sports and pro sports these days in my opinion there's too much focus on winning and not enough focus on randomly equal playing time and orange slices. My motto is:

"If you had fun, you won!" Or maybe "If the playing time is the same, it's a fun game!" I think both of those should be painted in the locker rooms at Connecticut.

Time for me to send another email to the athletic director! I really think he loves my suggestions!
I don’t think anyone here is suggesting equal playing time. I suggested in my post that it could have been beneficial to have Nika play a few minutes on Chennedy Carter to see if she could slow down her scoring. She scored at will. Even shaving a couple points off the score, Seattle could have won the game. Nika always requested to guard the top scorer on the opponent’s team while at UConn and did very well throughout her career. How do you know until you give her a chance?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How do you know until you give her a chance?
Mmm, practice?

Remember that it's not only about putting Nika's ability on the court, it's also about taking others off the court. Nika suffers by the fact that she has extraordinary guard talent ahead of her on the roster. As I've pointed out in other posts, she also gets to play against them in practice, see how they prepare, talk to them and get suggestions about how to do things. She seems to be to be showing great patience and maturity, well making the most of this outstanding opportunity to play with and against some of the best women's basketball players in the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom