Next year depth | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next year depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like others I'm really worried about our depth. Maybe there is really good walk-on player that KO has in mind. I sure hope so and he is 6-7 and 260 like RL. LOL. Well I can hope. When is the last time UCONN only had 10 scholarship players or less heading into a season? I can't remember. I'm guessing maybe Dom Perno days or Calhoun's earlier seasons. Wish they could pick someone up before the season starts even just to give a few more fouls for our big men.

Reaction Score
Well you sure sound like someone who knows what he's talking about. Why don't you tell us, so we can tell the trainers at UConn, the program you would design to get a kid to put on 25 lbs of muscle. Because that's like 40-50 total pounds.

You can't possibly have thought I was being serious. I was initially responding (sarcastically) to the post before me that said that Hamilton could play the 4 (one of many that has suggested that), which is absurd. I've said several times on here that Hamilton is not, and never will be, a 4. I'm not sure how 25 lbs of muscle is actually 40-50 pounds, though.

Reaction Score
You can't possibly have thought I was being serious. I was initially responding (sarcastically) to the post before me that said that Hamilton could play the 4 (one of many that has suggested that), which is absurd. I've said several times on here that Hamilton is not, and never will be, a 4. I'm not sure how 25 lbs of muscle is actually 40-50 pounds, though.
I wouldn't put it past KO using DH at 4 during the season especially considering that lack of talent we have here. This is college Basketball and not Pro basketball were most 4's are 6-9. Unfortunately we look a little weak up front and might have to have DH play some 4 out necessity. I don't think it will be KO's plan at the start. I'm sure he we start KF there and see how it goes but if it doesn't seem to be working don't be surprised if we go small.

Reaction Score
We've got champagne problems. NC experience and coaching, 10 scholies with only 2 true frosh. No team is ever perfect, except the original Dream Team. If we cant find a 4 to add that is capable of significant impact, and it seems we cant, throw the extra scholarship at a walk-on for a year. We owe those guys huge and should show some love.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We've got champagne problems. NC experience and coaching, 10 scholies with only 2 true frosh. No team is ever perfect, except the original Dream Team. If we cant find a 4 to add that is capable of significant impact, and it seems we cant, throw the extra scholarship at a walk-on for a year. We owe those guys huge and should so some love.

Well Bird's back wasn't the best, but pretty close.

Reaction Score
DH at the 4 could work against the right team and in the right situations. It would require some wrinkles - a lot of ball pressure and rotating on D, with guys like Samuel and Purvis hopefully being physical enough to box out bigger guys and get some rebounds (or Omar). We could do some innovative things on offense - Samuel is so strong and physical that you could essentially play him as the 4 on offense, setting screens and then rolling off the screen as a second point guard. If you play DH as the "4" on defense, you just couldn't leave him isolated on the low block against guys who can score down there.

Not saying it should be our regular lineup, since all the wrinkles in the world can't cover up getting killed on the glass or killed by post feeds. But it could be a lineup that could change the game a little, if we're getting burned by Facey/Lubin against a stretch four, or want to speed up the tempo.

Reaction Score
I don't know why we get so caught up in these semantics of positions. Villanova used to start four guards. That doesn't mean Randy Foye was a 4, whatever that even means.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but Randy Foye had 30 pounds on Hamilton.

Reaction Score
Also, Chrissy Laettner over Shaq? C'mon, son.
Holy , we're 2mos. into the offseason and debating The Dream Team?! Christina Laettner was the one weak spot, but Shaq was a big doughy, Baby Huey in '92 (still laugh/feel bad for his gf from that OT pic thread...) That aside, it was The Dream Team, and if it wasn't for FIBA, there would even have been a "The Dream" on the team!

Reaction Score
Does he have a handle?

Definitely not a bad dribbler. But that's a lot tougher to read in pickup than a shot. I was very impressed with his shot mechanics and comfort level shooting 3s, of course shooting well in a casual environment doesn't always translate to games but he is definitely capable of being a stretch 4. I was shocked people are ruling that out without seeing his development throughout the year

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I guess I need to build up my rep.
Just please don't start using emoticons as tells for dry jokes and sarcasm. Its like making the "u" in pussee into a great big smiley face.

Reaction Score
Definitely not a bad dribbler. But that's a lot tougher to read in pickup than a shot. I was very impressed with his shot mechanics and comfort level shooting 3s, of course shooting well in a casual environment doesn't always translate to games but he is definitely capable of being a stretch 4. I was shocked people are ruling that out without seeing his development throughout the year

The most underrated part of DD's game was his ability to put it on the floor and go by people. We can talk about Facey's ability to fill his spot as a stretch 4, but most think it is just the ability to shoot. If you can shoot, then they will come out and guard you. Thats when you need to go by people. Most guys that size end up dribbling off their feet or knees. DD would even bring the ball upcourt and relieve defensive pressure.

Reaction Score
The most underrated part of DD's game was his ability to put it on the floor and go by people. We can talk about Facey's ability to fill his spot as a stretch 4, but most think it is just the ability to shoot. If you can shoot, then they will come out and guard you. Thats when you need to go by people. Most guys that size end up dribbling off their feet or knees. DD would even bring the ball upcourt and relieve defensive pressure.

Daniels did that sometimes, but I remember him wildly losing the ball a good portion of the time he drove, too. It certainly wasn't a consistently good part of his game.

Reaction Score
Daniels did that sometimes, but I remember him wildly losing the ball a good portion of the time he drove, too. It certainly wasn't a consistently good part of his game.

Certainly not. Only 1.4 tpg. What else do you think you see?

Reaction Score
On how many of these drives per game?[/QUOTE

Ahh, a 6-8 starter who who puts up around 14ppg and only turns it over that many times over 30 minutes is outstanding. Even if every single t.o. is on a drive. Of course, that wasn't the case. You just made your observation even weaker than it was.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ahh, a 6-8 starter who who puts up around 14ppg and only turns it over that many times over 30 minutes is outstanding. Even if every single t.o. is on a drive. Of course, that wasn't the case. You just made your observation even weaker than it was.

Gotta agree with bruce. His handle was not that great at UCONN. That said, he showed enough flashes (start of UK game and against FL) to think he can develop this and feature it a bit at the next level.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree with bruce. His handle was not that great at UCONN. That said, he showed enough flashes (start of UK game and against FL) to think he can develop this and feature it a bit at the next level.

Actually the numbers say otherwise. I imagine KO would too, otherwise why would he have DD bringing the ball up court when we were pressured.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that Daniels wasn't a very good player last season, but his handle was definitely questionable, which is why he didn't drive that often.

Ok, so now he didn't drive too often.
Nice try

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Actually the numbers say otherwise. I imagine KO would too, otherwise why would he have DD bringing the ball up court when we were pressured.

What numbers? And I didn't see DD bringing the ball up the court very often. Pretty sure KO preferred the ball in his guards hands, as a former point guard and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom