Next year depth | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next year depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's all in the perspective, amigo. We lost our 2 best players - one to graduation, and one to the NBA early. We also lost a 3rd starter and a terrific all around player in Giffey. While the cupboard is not bare by any means, to expect a final 4, or even elite 8, run IMHO is hubris. Not saying you are expecting that, and of course I hope that we win 30 games and make the final 4, but that doesn't seem realistic given what we lost...
I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect a sweet 16 or better out of next year's team. That said, youre right, we cant replace those guys, not in any way possible. If we try to play next year like we played this year, we're gonna lose, a lot. But we've got horses and coaching, so with the right/new game plan, we've got huge potential. Plus, we all know the mother of all equalizers, besides 7" girth, is chemistry, and I think we've got a quality group of guys to buy-in and make it happen.

Reaction Score
Having taller guards this season should help in the rebounding department and help defense. OC is 6'6" (if true) and only 2 inches away from minimum PF height. With that said its about toughness in the paint. Brimah and PN were not intimidated in the Tourney, and if you look at the films they went up against some huge boys, particularly uk.

There confidence will be sky high, and the Championship will rub off on OC and KF even if they didn't play. 2013-2014 we had one of the weakest big men lineup ever and we still won a NC. This season our big men will certainly improve removing the issues of 'regular season' woes down low.

In summary we will be fine. However PN most of all has got to step it up his junior year, mainly in hand strength. Those uk blocks to me were embarrassing. I want him to average over 8 boards a game by picking up Bazz's boards (who's contribution saved our bigs).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Having taller guards this season should help in the rebounding department and help defense. OC is 6'6" (if true) and only 2 inches away from minimum PF height. With that said its about toughness in the paint. Brimah and PN were not intimidated in the Tourney, and if you look at the films they went up against some huge boys, particularly uk.

In college, a 6'6 power forward is pretty normal. Don't think his height matters that much. That said, the build and game are entirely different down there.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

There confidence will be sky high, and the Championship will rub off on OC and KF even if they didn't play. 2013-2014 we had one of the weakest big men lineup ever and we still won a NC. This season our big men will certainly improve removing the issues of 'regular season' woes down low.

In summary we will be fine. However PN most of all has got to step it up his junior year, mainly in hand strength. Those uk blocks to me were embarrassing. I want him to average over 8 boards a game by picking up Bazz's boards (who's contribution saved our bigs).
Wait... oc is 6'6 now???

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Having taller guards this season should help in the rebounding department and help defense. OC is 6'6" (if true) and only 2 inches away from minimum PF height.
But he is only 2 bills. Kevin Freeman was "only" 6'-7", but weighs in at 235 and is one of the best undersized power forwards in NCAA history, IMO. Keith Van Horn was 6-10 and played just as much SF as PF, maybe more. Height does not determine position. Defense and attitude do. These guys are all listed 2 inches taller in the program than they are in reality as it is. Omar Calhoun is probably 6'-4 1/2" and he plays on the outside. I just want his shot to return so he can re-enter the top 8 in the rotation. IF he can do that, It would go a long way (along with Hamilton) to replace the production lost of Daniels and Giffey. I think what UConn will really miss are the 5 fouls that Olander afforded them.

KO's offensive philosophy doesn't really focus on post play or relying on our size . Brimah needs to get a little heavier and not use his hands to box out, but his main job is screener/lob catcher/crashing offensive glass. KO needs someone at the 4 hitting jumpshots though , when boat/purv utilize mid screen and roll

It not absolute, but it's a good bet, that Boat won't be able to replicate Kembazz Naplker. That said, I am in a Moneyball State of Mind. I'm looking for some combination of the 2013-14 non-contributors to replicate the stats vacated by Napier, Giffey, Daniels, Olander and Kromah. I think Purvis, Hamilton, Calhoun Facey, and a sprinkle of Cassell can do it.

Reaction Score
But he is only 2 bills. Kevin Freeman was "only" 6'-7", but weighs in at 235 and is one of the best undersized power forwards in NCAA history, IMO. Keith Van Horn was 6-10 and played just as much SF as PF, maybe more. Height does not determine position. Defense and attitude do. These guys are all listed 2 inches taller in the program than they are in reality as it is. Omar Calhoun is probably 6'-4 1/2" and he plays on the outside. I just want his shot to return so he can re-enter the top 8 in the rotation. IF he can do that, It would go a long way (along with Hamilton) to replace the production lost of Daniels and Giffey. I think what UConn will really miss are the 5 fouls that Olander afforded them.

It not absolute, but it's a good bet, that Boat won't be able to replicate Kembazz Naplker. That said, I am in a Moneyball State of Mind. I'm looking for some combination of the 2013-14 non-contributors to replicate the stats vacated by Napier, Giffey, Daniels, Olander and Kromah. I think Purvis, Hamilton, Calhoun Facey, and a sprinkle of Cassell can do it.
Michael Lewis is the most interesting, insightful and entertaining writer I have ever come across.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Michael Lewis is the most interesting, insightful and entertaining writer I have ever come across.
What are you talking about? Joe Morgan said that Billy Beane wrote that book! ;)

And Joe Morgan should know. He never read it...What?!?!:confused:

Reaction Score
Joe Morgan thinks sabermetrics are a mystical robotic tiger. I've enjoyed all ML's books, although Flash Boys is a bit less interesting for me having spent time in the industry, and the name being kind of Chelsea-bookstore.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
These guys are all listed 2 inches taller in the program than they are in reality as it is. Omar Calhoun is probably 6'-4 1/2" and he plays on the outside. I just want his shot to return so he can re-enter the top 8 in the rotation. IF he can do that, It would go a long way (along with Hamilton) to replace the production lost of Daniels and Giffey. I think what UConn will really miss are the 5 fouls that Olander afforded them.

Pretty sure Rock can give 5 fouls if needed. And they will be a lot more physical fouls than Olander offered.

On the height thing, not always true. For instance, Bazz listed at 6'1. Graded out approximately the same with shoes. But yeah, don't think Omar is 6'6.

Boat doesn't have to replace Shabazz. He just has to do what he was doing at the end of the year. Neither Shabazz nor Walker played with a player as talented as Purvis next to them most of the year (both Lamb and Boat stepped up in the postseason). Hopefully we'll be more balanced next year.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Rock can give 5 fouls if needed. And they will be a lot more physical fouls than Olander offered.

Except that Rock isn't a third-stringer, like Olander was. He has to take minutes that went to Daniels, too.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Boat doesn't have to replace Shabazz. He just has to do what he was doing at the end of the year. Neither Shabazz nor Walker played with a player as talented as Purvis next to them most of the year (both Lamb and Boat stepped up in the postseason). Hopefully we'll be more balanced next year.

Actually Boat can't replace Shabazz by virtue of he was on last year's team. Boat has to fill Boat's shoes. The guys that did not contribute much have to replace the guys who left. But I am under no illusions that Ollie will force this year's team to play like last year's. He will design his strategy and plays to take advantage of these guys' strengths.

You are absolutely correct that Boatright has to play like he did at the end of last year. Need to stop the ball and lock down that point guard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Actually Boat can't replace Shabazz by virtue of he was on last year's team. Boat has to fill Boat's shoes. The guys that did not contribute much have to replace the guys who left. But I am under no illusions that Ollie will force this year's team to play like last year's. He will design his strategy and plays to take advantage of these guys' strengths.

You are absolutely correct that Boatright has to play like he did at the end of last year. Need to stop the ball and lock down that point guard.

That's what I was saying (or trying to at any rate)! :) I also think Boat has room to improve next year as well.

Reaction Score
For UCONN to be VG Boat has to improve on his 39% FG. He will be taking many more very important shots ie when the clock is running down, he must knock a much higher % of these shots down.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Seems doable, right?
Well you sure sound like someone who knows what he's talking about. Why don't you tell us, so we can tell the trainers at UConn, the program you would design to get a kid to put on 25 lbs of muscle. Because that's like 40-50 total pounds.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Lots of optimism here. I'm looking forward to how this team comes together too, but I have strong concerns.

We will be weaker at the 1 and the 4.

You could make the argument that we lost our 3 best players from last year.

While we have a lot of flexibility at guard/wing, we have 2 very foull prone centers that haven't been good scorers or rebounders. Our most promising 5 is losing time due to surgery.

Our PFs are untested. You really can't play Nolan at the 4 much because you need him to cover Amidah's foul tendencies.

I doubt any of our taller guards will equal Shabazz's rebounds let alone exceed them

I would love another big to throw in the mix

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If anything im basing this on reputation coming in. Nolan has never had the green light to shoot a 15 footer. He is a 78% free throw shooter, so some touch is there. Obviously Nolan has no handle. We do not have a four on the roster capable of replicated what Daniels did last year.

Facey was an awful free throw shooter coming in, showed some signs of improvement there. Anyone who saw Facey in high school knows his skills are very limited. Scout.com went as far as to list him as a center. So ppl expecting Facey to have a handle and hit jumpers are greatly missing the boat on this kid. Hes a pogo stick athlete who is raw on offense.

I played pickup with Facey at Hunting Lodge Apartments a couple weeks ago. He was draining 3's and had nice rotation on his shot.

(This post sounds like a joke but it's not)

D

Deleted member 3149

With boatrights perimeter D, nobody will have a chance to even take it down low. We're set

Reaction Score
I played pickup with Facey at Hunting Lodge Apartments a couple weeks ago. He was draining 3's and had nice rotation on his shot.

(This post sounds like a joke but it's not)

Does he have a handle?

Reaction Score
Lots of optimism here. I'm looking forward to how this team comes together too, but I have strong concerns.

We will be weaker at the 1 and the 4.

You could make the argument that we lost our 3 best players from last year.

While we have a lot of flexibility at guard/wing, we have 2 very foull prone centers that haven't been good scorers or rebounders. Our most promising 5 is losing time due to surgery.

Our PFs are untested. You really can't play Nolan at the 4 much because you need him to cover Amidah's foul tendencies.

I doubt any of our taller guards will equal Shabazz's rebounds let alone exceed them

I would love another big to throw in the mix

All fair points, but next year's team is constructed differently and doesn't have to fit the same mold as last year. If you look at a lineup of Boat-Purvis-Hamilton-Facey-Nolan (Brimah), there's potential there for a pretty good core five where the pieces fit together well, even with just a little bit of bench help. But we still have to see - Boat as alpha dog/lead guard to himself, Purvis as Ferrari, Hamilton as wing scorer/creator, Facey as rebounder, Nolan/Brimah as older not-in-as-much-foul-trouble bigs are all things we can anticipate panning out, but they still have to actually pan out. If all of them do, we're contending again. If only a couple of them do, we'll have some holes. No way to know til they start playing, but looking forward to another ride.

Reaction Score
No one has really mentioned Samuel in this thread- kid played like a champ as a freshman. He is a strong guard and has a good head on his shoulders- I would not be surprised to see him get 20 minutes a game next year if he continues to improve as much as he did last season over the summer.

Kid is a beast.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I expect Facey and Brimah to exceed to expectations a lot of the posters in this thread have. This team is going to be reloaded for a great season and another title run. Should be a top 10 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom