Next up SMU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next up SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Question for the Yard……

Is this an early season "must win"? With Harvard, UCF, Memphis and the Ville the next 4, if they lose at SMU they could be staring down the throats of a , 13-5/12-6 record in not time……I kinda think they really need to have this one no matter who's new arena they're playing in.

They are 2-2 in last four; and we can't say they were playing either exceptional competition or lost despite playing hard and playing well. If "confidence" is important; and I think we all agree that it is, then this is absolutely a "must" win with a capital "MUST".

And, honestly, Shabazz made some important comments post-Houston about his role as captain and his failure to meet the responsibilities of the role. What concerns me is that he also said he had no idea why he was an absentee in the first half...why he was not emotionally invested. He has a "must" discover factor in terms of at least beginning to get a handle on what happened in Houston(and it's not the first time he blew off the first half). He needs to lace them up against SMU with some real conviction that he can take the game by the throat right from the opening tip; and it has to translate into leading the rest of the team down the same path.

And I'm not about to ignore KO's role tomorrow afternoon. He said post-Houston that the team's failure to be ready to play was "on me". He has been in too many situations involving issues like those facing the Huskies both as a player and coach. He has been around too many great leaders (players and coaches both) not to be able to bring solutions to the table that will work.

This is a big freakin' game on a lot of levels.

GO HUSKIES!!!

husky_qa.jpg-300x200.jpeg

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
They are 2-2 in last four; and we can't say they were playing either exceptional competition or lost despite playing hard and playing well. If "confidence" is important; and I think we all agree that it is, then this is absolutely a "must" win with a capital "MUST".

And I'm not about to ignore KO's role tomorrow afternoon. He said post-Houston that the team's failure to be ready to play was "on me". He has been in too many situations involving issues like those facing the Huskies both as a player and coach. He has been around too many great leaders (players and coaches both) not to be able to bring solutions to the table that will work.

This is a big freakin' game on a lot of levels.
I agree it's a big game in the sense of confidence but also that if we want anything above a 6 seed in the tournament, we can't really lose more than 2-3 games outside of splitting Louisville and Memphis, having two positively awful losses already. Everyone else will be considered "bad losses" come resume evaluation time.

However, let's cool it on the KO/Bazz criticism. Any good coach and leader (this applies to Bazz too) would say what he said and put the blame on themselves regardless of the truth. Would you rather him take the chicken- Edsall route and blame the players? And with Bazz, it seems like nobody here can be happy with him. He either takes too long to take charge, or is selfish, while he leads the team in every stat except blocks and 3 point % through numerous heroic efforts over several seasons. It's like people can only think about today +/- 7 days around here.

Reaction Score
We need a big man to ball fake once, including DD on this. Everyone just shoots it, no patience. Guys are dying to either block shots or foul you yet none of our bigs ball fake……..they all end up shooting it from 1 foot below their actual height because they go so soft, ball fakes give you the chance to be stronger with it……

SMU will be very tough, new gym, huge home crowd, excitement!! They thought the 3K at Houston was tough, better be ready!
We need a big man to ball fake once, including DD on this. Everyone just shoots it, no patience. Guys are dying to either block shots or foul you yet none of our bigs ball fake……..they all end up shooting it from 1 foot below their actual height because they go so soft, ball fakes give you the chance to be stronger with it……

SMU will be very tough, new gym, huge home crowd, excitement!! They thought the 3K at Houston was tough, better be ready!
While I usually acknowledge Mauconn as an astute fan and support his views, I'm not sure I can agree with this one. NG and TO have been waiving the same old tired fake on each and every possession for 3 1/2 years and it rarely gets any defensive players to even consider the fake. I think rather than going to this weak effort, both NG and TO would be far better served powering into the paint and basket for dunks, easy lay-ups and fouls. As for DD, don't EVER allow him to hang around the 3 pt line and attempt those long shots. He's out of rebound range, put back success and can't effectively shoot the 3.

Reaction Score
The unfortunate fallout with print comments is that, in the absence of tone etc., there is a great deal of room for misinterpretation. There, in both choice of words and intent, was no criticism whatsover in my remarks. They were simply observations based on post-game comments and my conclusions(in Bazz' case my concern that he clearly understood what happened and took responsibility but did not seem to understand why it happened and recognition, in KO's case, that he took responsibility for the team's lack of readiness and has more than enough knowledge and experience to develop effective solutions for the problems). Your interpretation of my remarks as critical is very definitely not accurate.

In addition, while I don't read the board on a daily basis; and certainly don't, for reasons of time, scan more than a page or two of the most recent posts, I have never had even a slight impression that Bazz is frequently criticised and unable to please most posters with the quality of his play. In fact I find the exact opposite to be true.

GO HUSKIES!!!

husky_qa.jpg-300x200.jpeg

Reaction Score
Basically it's time for our kids to nut up. No excuses, it will be a tough game on the road. Need to hit some shots, avoid stupid plays, and chase the ball like a bat out of hell. They need to get back to 1 game at a time philosophy. It will happen, hopefully tomorrow.

Reaction Score
UConn is a 1.5 point dog tomorrow, for all the "this should be a comfortable win" folks.

Reaction Score
While I usually acknowledge Mauconn as an astute fan and support his views, I'm not sure I can agree with this one. NG and TO have been waiving the same old tired fake on each and every possession for 3 1/2 years and it rarely gets any defensive players to even consider the fake. I think rather than going to this weak effort, both NG and TO would be far better served powering into the paint and basket for dunks, easy lay-ups and fouls. As for DD, don't EVER allow him to hang around the 3 pt line and attempt those long shots. He's out of rebound range, put back success and can't effectively shoot the 3.
Daniels is shoot 43% from 3. Not to bad considering the start to his season.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
UConn is a 1.5 point dog tomorrow, for all the "this should be a comfortable win" folks.

That tells you more about this team's current reality than much else. Vegas thinks we should be ranked in the 50's. They are right more often than not. If you want to see a major turn around with this team three things need to happen. Daniels needs to get back to being a star, OC needs to play better (not spectacular) and one of our big men needs to rapidly develop into a player.

We have seen all of these types of things happen almost overnight so many times before that I am holding out hope. UConn teams tend to suddenly "kick the window out" and play great basketball, as JC said of the 2004 team. We need a couple of great performances from these guys to get in rhythm and transform themselves. I don't expect it until mid to late February but I sure would like to play decent basketball until then. I think this team can be much better. Our weaknesses can become our strengths. We have a huge group of good guards and wings. They need to play to their strengths and start mixing things up. Let's see Giffey get some looks, let's see Kromah get aggressive going to the rim and most importantly, get Deandre playing aggressively. I'm so sick of all these damn jump shots. Go to the rim and just keep attacking.

Reaction Score
UConn Don is on to something. Even Phil Nolan has the occasional ball fake like he's going through the motions during practice against skeleton D. But they all need to ball fake, show the ball on the fake, a lot more because then they can go strong. Notice these guys, every one of them including DD, get smaller when they just catch dribble once and go "strong", they don't get bigger and stronger. The ball fake enables them to be patient, slower and then attack. I could be wrong but the unfortunate reality is none of these guys know what "strong" is when shouldering in and trying to finish!

But I hear ya Don…….

Reaction Score
Feeling pretty good about this game for some reason. SMU is no slouch- an up and coming program (at least until Larry Brown retires in 2-3 years) and the place will be electric but will THEY be ready to play..I think we will. That NYE loss has to have stung. We have upperclassmen that do not want to go 0-2 in league play, especially in THIS league..we'll see but I think we bring A effort, which means aggressive wing defense, which hopefully means turnovers and run outs. I don't know that much about SMU but I think our guards will pressure the out of their guards. If that happens their bigs won't be as effective, even if they are their strengths. I'm looking forward to this game. Then come home boys. Enough time in TX already..
Good point about the pressure. SMU has turned it over 180 times in 13 games.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
The unfortunate fallout with print comments is that, in the absence of tone etc., there is a great deal of room for misinterpretation. There, in both choice of words and intent, was no criticism whatsover in my remarks. They were simply observations based on post-game comments and my conclusions(in Bazz' case my concern that he clearly understood what happened and took responsibility but did not seem to understand why it happened and recognition, in KO's case, that he took responsibility for the team's lack of readiness and has more than enough knowledge and experience to develop effective solutions for the problems). Your interpretation of my remarks as critical is very definitely not accurate.

In addition, while I don't read the board on a daily basis; and certainly don't, for reasons of time, scan more than a page or two of the most recent posts, I have never had even a slight impression that Bazz is frequently criticised and unable to please most posters with the quality of his play. In fact I find the exact opposite to be true.
That was a more general comment, not targeting you specifically, hence "let's". You're certainly right on the text issues, as it just went back the other way! It is sad, but there is some real complaining going on by some of the more reactionary posters here on KO and Bazz. You can see the thread titles where people are already questioning whether or not KO is the coach for the future as well as the decision to hire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom