Next up SMU | The Boneyard

Next up SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is anyone else extremely concerned about this game? I don't think people on here realize that we will be 4-5 point underdogs in this game. I hope we come out with fire and finally play to our potential. These kids have been through too much the last 2 years to throw it away to teams like Houston and SMU. We need to get back to playing with a chip on our shoulder, so if Stanford wasn't a wake up call losing to Houston sure as hell better be.

Reaction Score
Tough game with SMU opening up their "new" building. They seem to be a guard oriented team.

Reaction Score
We need a big man to grab the bull by its horns. I'm thinking it has to be olander, everybody else just isn't ready physically.

Reaction Score
We need a big man to ball fake once, including DD on this. Everyone just shoots it, no patience. Guys are dying to either block shots or foul you yet none of our bigs ball fake……..they all end up shooting it from 1 foot below their actual height because they go so soft, ball fakes give you the chance to be stronger with it……

SMU will be very tough, new gym, huge home crowd, excitement!! They thought the 3K at Houston was tough, better be ready!

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
SMU will be very tough, new gym, huge home crowd, excitement!! They thought the 3K at Houston was tough, better be ready!

I agree it will be tough, but I actually think the huge crowd, even if hostile, will be better for the Huskies too. The crowd, the excitement, the setting, should help get them amped and make it feel like an important game (which it is). It's not an excuse if you want to be considered an elite team, but I have to imagine it was tough for them to get excited about play in Houston in a high school gym with 3k people.

Reaction Score
SMU plays at Cinci today 6PM on ESPNU for those who want to do a little scouting on the Mustangs...

Reaction Score
Tough game with SMU opening up their "new" building. They seem to be a guard oriented team.

They have better big men than Houston. The Moreia kid is a JUCO. G Nic Moore is excellent at shooting 3 pointers, one of the best in the country. Frazier is their McD's All-American guard.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
SMU has better talent, opening their brand new arena means the team and fans will be fired up, time for UConn to step it up.
Of course, we are doomed, CLEARLY DOOMED!

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I have a bad feeling we lose this game...

Reaction Score
SMU plays at Cinci today 6PM on ESPNU for those who want to do a little scouting on the Mustangs...

I think SMU pulls the upset on the road against Cinci (pretty solid dog). Then UConn travels to SMU and rights the ship. Pre-season I thought SMU could sneak into top three in the AAC.

If SMU wants to make the tourney they need to finish ahead of Cinci in the AAC. The game has tournament implications already b/c the AAC could be a max 4 bid league IMO.

Reaction Score
I already said if this was the old days, we would go down to SMU and win by 25. I think SMU is a better team than Houston so I would feel better if this happened.

Reaction Score
SMU is no joke, unless we develop some inside game and stop loving the 3pt line, we will be in trouble.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Harvard just SPANKED BC

Reaction Score
SMU is a team that has beaten exactly nobody. Their "signature" win so far was over Wyoming. If UConn decides to play a full 40 minutes, something of a rarity so far this year I know, it should be a relatively comfortable win. Not a blow out but 8-12 point win. If they decide to do what they've done most of the year, it could be a disaster. If that happens, can you say 2007?

Reaction Score
Some notes from Amore: http://courantblogs.com/uconn-men/looking-ahead-to-uconns-next-opponent-smu/#more-2512
  • This season, SMU has lost close games at Arkansas and to Virginia at a neutral site. They got anotable road win at Wyoming, and lost at Cincinnati.
  • SMU returned its starting five from last season, but transfers Nic Moore (13.4) from Illinois State, and Marcus Kennedy (10.4) from Villanova, are the Mustangs’ top scorers.
  • Moore has hit 32 of 60 three-point attempts, and SMU is shooting a solid 41.3 percent from there, 10 percentage points better than its opponents.
  • SMU has outrebounded opponents (plus-9). Even in a loss at Cincy, they outrebounded the Bearcats by 12.
  • They do turn it over – 180 in 13 games.
  • The Mustangs home arena, Moody Coliseum in downtown Dallas, has undergone a $47 million renovation and will open with the UConn game. It holds about 9,000 and it’s sold out.
  • Yanick Moreira, 6-foot-11, is SMU’s effective big man, with 9.4 points, 5.7 rebounds in 18.8 minutes per game.

Reaction Score
SMU is a team that has beaten exactly nobody. Their "signature" win so far was over Wyoming. If UConn decides to play a full 40 minutes, something of a rarity so far this year I know, it should be a relatively comfortable win. Not a blow out but 8-12 point win. If they decide to do what they've done most of the year, it could be a disaster. If that happens, can you say 2007?
Good post. I agree with you. I said this in another post last night. Some people are making SMU out to be the best team we've played this year. They are not. They are a decent team that has played a lot of close games. They do shoot it well from 3, but as tcf15 points out, but they also turnover it over a lot. They let Cincy, a dreadful offensive team, get to the line over 30 times last night. If UConn can get to the line even 25 times, that will help the offense get jump started.

I honestly don't know what to make of this game. Uconn is the better team on paper. But Uconn played one of its worst games in a long time the other night. What is their mindset going to be on Saturday? Fragile or determined? SMU is coming off a lose as well, and they are opening a new building. So I expect it to be a close game. But Uconn should win if they play a solid game, from the start.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Some notes from Amore: http://courantblogs.com/uconn-men/looking-ahead-to-uconns-next-opponent-smu/#more-2512

• [ ]This season, SMU has lost close games at Arkansas and to Virginia at a neutral site. They got anotable road win at Wyoming, and lost at Cincinnati.
    [ ]SMU returned its starting five from last season, but transfers Nic Moore (13.4) from Illinois State, and Marcus Kennedy (10.4) from Villanova, are the Mustangs’ top scorers.
    [ ]Moore has hit 32 of 60 three-point attempts, and SMU is shooting a solid 41.3 percent from there, 10 percentage points better than its opponents.
    [ ]SMU has outrebounded opponents (plus-9). Even in a loss at Cincy, they outrebounded the Bearcats by 12.
    [ ]They do turn it over – 180 in 13 games.
    [ ]The Mustangs home arena, Moody Coliseum in downtown Dallas, has undergone a $47 million renovation and will open with the UConn game. It holds about 9,000 and it’s sold out.
    [ ]Yanick Moreira, 6-foot-11, is SMU’s effective big man, with 9.4 points, 5.7 rebounds in 18.8 minutes per game.
Definitely sounds like we are doomed, DOOMED for sure!

Reaction Score
SMU fan take on the game/their team:

It will probably be the most electric atmosphere we've had in recent memory - new (updated) arena, first home game in new conference against perennial powerhouse UConn. Game has been sold out for weeks, so I hope we have some visitors at this one (I'm looking at you Myles Turner!)

I watched the UConn/UH game and the SMU/Cincy game earlier this week. SMU's biggest weakness is lack of slashers other than PG Nic Moore. SMU settles for a lot of outside jumpers with Nick Russell and Keith Frazier. Our post play (both offensively and defensively) is our biggest strength, especially when Kennedy and Moreira play together. Kennedy is a bruiser, uses his big body to make space for low post game. He's a transfer from 'Nova, and is like a poor-man's Charles Barkley. Moreira is longer and leaner, a shotblocker, but offensively has yet to find his game. He is weak with the ball in his hands and puts it on the floor too much as opposed to just using his wingspan to his advantage. I anticipate a lot of slaps leading to steals.

Nic Moore makes this team go - he is lights out from deep (aside from the Cincy game!) and can run the break and create his own shot. He probably had his worst game all season against Cincy. On D, we bring in Ryan Manual to try and neutralize opposing scorers, as well as cannen Cunningham. Shawn Williams (UT transfer) has been getting a lot of minutes lately, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why. Dude is soft and kind of a 'tweener. Other bench payers include freshmen Ben Moore and Sterling Brown - both Chicago kids. They are still developing but play solid minutes for us when we need them.

LB likes to slow the game down, work the post, and work inside out. As long as Kennedy / Moreira stay out of foul trouble (which has been an issue for Moreira), we should be okay on tempo.

I see a close game coming down to who can make open shots when they get 'em.

Reaction Score
Question for the Yard……

Is this an early season "must win"? With Harvard, UCF, Memphis and the Ville the next 4, if they lose at SMU they could be staring down the throats of a , 13-5/12-6 record in not time……I kinda think they really need to have this one no matter who's new arena they're playing in.

Reaction Score
I think its close to a must win. 0-2 start in the league, with Harvard next week and Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati twice. You win tomorrow and you are 1-1 and feeling better coming home.

Reaction Score
Question for the Yard……

Is this an early season "must win"? With Harvard, UCF, Memphis and the Ville the next 4, if they lose at SMU they could be staring down the throats of a , 13-5/12-6 record in not time……I kinda think they really need to have this one no matter who's new arena they're playing in.

To make the Tournament? No.

To have any kind of chance at a protected seed? Yes.

Reaction Score
Feeling pretty good about this game for some reason. SMU is no slouch- an up and coming program (at least until Larry Brown retires in 2-3 years) and the place will be electric but will THEY be ready to play..I think we will. That NYE loss has to have stung. We have upperclassmen that do not want to go 0-2 in league play, especially in THIS league..we'll see but I think we bring A effort, which means aggressive wing defense, which hopefully means turnovers and run outs. I don't know that much about SMU but I think our guards will pressure the out of their guards. If that happens their bigs won't be as effective, even if they are their strengths. I'm looking forward to this game. Then come home boys. Enough time in TX already..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom