Next up... Ezi? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next up... Ezi?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would say Natalie Butler underachieved at UCONN. As much as people don't want to rely on the rankings coming out of HS, relative to those rankings Natalie did not under achieve. She was able to impact a few games during her UCONN career ( Baylor & Texas) specifically. For a kid that was rated outside the top 150 coming into college to impact games against top 10 teams at a program like UCONN is quite an accomplishment.
If anything, our over inflated expectations of Natalie is what needed to be check.
\

Thanks for the good words for Natalie.

Natalie was Natalie she was what she was---once a kid arrives at Uconn all rating go in the trasher. Who remembers , except you, the rank of anyone except the number one's. So, we evaluate them as they play in the Uconn system, former ranking be damned. Did you/do you read the expectation for Molly/Irwin 3 frosh (exclude walker) they are high from some fans. We know walk on's are over achievers, just getting here. And Natalie is not the first or last incoming kid for us fans to have greater expectations Natalie deserves your good words, no doubt. She like me has limitations--I don't deny that but a local 2nd grade team would not accept me as a player even with my size I don't measure up.

It I guess comes down to how do you define achievement! Her benefit for Uconn was giving relief for Gabby and Napheesa. Baylor and Texas were closely/nearly a Natalie type game against bigs (who were maybe a bit more mobile).

You last sentence to me is more than factual: My expectation/hopes for Natalie was for her to be all her height and in coming hype (from a few other coaches) suggested.

In fairness, my beliefs and those of others may have been tainted with greater expectations because of the words posted in the media, prior to Natalies arrival, stated by coaches that player against the Natalie GT also her numbers then suggested those now at GM---Uconn is a different game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
magbegor-named-mvp.jpg

Eziyoda Macbegor on the left.

#7 in the middle is Jasmine Simmons, Oregon St. commit for '18.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ezi's WNBL team, UC Capitals, has not had a great season (currently 2-8 and in last place) and her stats are okay. She's averaging 5.3 ppg and 3.8 rpg. She scored 12 points and grabbed 8 boards in her most recent game.

I know the perfect place for her to develop her game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi's WNBL team, UC Capitals, has not had a great season (currently 2-8 and in last place) and her stats are okay. She's averaging 5.3 ppg and 3.8 rpg. She scored 12 points and grabbed 8 boards in her most recent game.

Ezi probably wouldn't lose 8 games in 4 seasons at UConn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would say Natalie Butler underachieved at UCONN. As much as people don't want to rely on the rankings coming out of HS, relative to those rankings Natalie did not under achieve. She was able to impact a few games during her UCONN career ( Baylor & Texas) specifically. For a kid that was rated outside the top 150 coming into college to impact games against top 10 teams at a program like UCONN is quite an accomplishment.
If anything, our over inflated expectations of Natalie is what needed to be check.
She did not reach her full potential at Uconn. One reason is I believe the injury was a big reason why. I did not have inflated expectations of her although she was one of my favorite players. Two good games does not mean she had a successful stint at Uconn based on Uconn standards. She did positively impact some other games. It is obvious Uconn's system was hard for her to grasp. Look how well she is playing for her new team. No matter how you word it, Butler's offensive skills did not improve at Uconn and a lot of her play left much to be desired.!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

That kind of record could cause her to want to come to Uconn.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I did not realize Jasmine Simmons committed to Oregon State. She's a good player. She'll love playing for Scott Rueck.

And she will be a potential backcourt teammate of Destiny Slocum. Rueck is doing great things at Oregon State.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She did not reach her full potential at Uconn. One reason is I believe the injury was a big reason why. I did not have inflated expectations of her although she was one of my favorite players. Two good games does not mean she had a successful stint at Uconn based on Uconn standards. She did positively impact some other games. It is obvious Uconn's system was hard for her to grasp. Look how well she is playing for her new team. No matter how you word it, Butler's offensive skills did not improve at Uconn and a lot of her play left much to be desired.!
Funny you should say that "She did not reach her full potential at Uconn" & "Look how well she is playing for her new team." -neither is true. In two games at George Mason Natalie is scoring, rebounding, assisting, and blocking shots at a lower rate ( BTW that is on a per minute played basis) than she did in her time at UCONN. In her second game at George Mason she scored 20 points which matches her career high at UCONN. Those 20 Points Nat scored at George Mason were in 31 Minutes against Loyola, MD. The 20 Points she scored at UCONN was done in 18 minutes against UCF. You said it doesn't matter how I word it so I going to kick it to you this way: If you can't appreciate the difference between impacting a game at UCONN and impacting a George Mason vs Loyola game then you are really not tryin and by not tryin you might be hatin on Nat! Why?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And she will be a potential backcourt teammate of Destiny Slocum. Rueck is doing great things at Oregon State.

Backcourt could be a bit crowded next year. 5 players rotating thru 3 positions this year, with no Seniors. If everybody stays plus you add Slocum and Simmons, no shortage of players.

Reaction Score
I have zero scouting ability, but these layman eyes say, "Get Mag-BE-gor! At all cost."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Latest from Adamec yesterday:

UConn is still hopeful of putting together an official visit for 18-year-old Australian Eziyoda Magbegor during the season.

New Britain Herald - UConn women's basketball lands top-5 recruit Nelson-Ododa
Just a hunch on my part, but if UConn can get Ezi to visit in the spring, particularly if they’ve just won their 12th championship, she’s a lock to become a Husky. No one would come that far for a visit if they didn’t already feel very strongly about UConn, and a visit to Storrs with brunch at the Auriemmas would clinch it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Latest from Adamec yesterday:

UConn is still hopeful of putting together an official visit for 18-year-old Australian Eziyoda Magbegor during the season.

New Britain Herald - UConn women's basketball lands top-5 recruit Nelson-Ododa

During the season? Ezi's WNBL season ends at the end of December and it doesn't look like her team will be in the playoffs. Then it'll be a matter of working around her school schedule. If it does happen during the season she'll get a taste of winter in CT.

Reaction Score
Funny you should say that "She did not reach her full potential at Uconn" & "Look how well she is playing for her new team." -neither is true. In two games at George Mason Natalie is scoring, rebounding, assisting, and blocking shots at a lower rate ( BTW that is on a per minute played basis) than she did in her time at UCONN. In her second game at George Mason she scored 20 points which matches her career high at UCONN. Those 20 Points Nat scored at George Mason were in 31 Minutes against Loyola, MD. The 20 Points she scored at UCONN was done in 18 minutes against UCF. You said it doesn't matter how I word it so I going to kick it to you this way: If you can't appreciate the difference between impacting a game at UCONN and impacting a George Mason vs Loyola game then you are really not tryin and by not tryin you might be hatin on Nat! Why?

UCF and some of the AAC game clean up time allowed Nat to play more in the mode of the GM league, where her comfort level is greater and the speed of play is a bit slower. As with Uconn we won't know until year's end how her number will stack up. But since I'm not into stats, except those while the game is played, I tend to go by what I see in a game by game approach.
But no one here thinks Natalie is not a nice person, intelligent, or that she is a terrible player. I think it's pretty obvious she is better suited for the George Mason U type of game. \
We probably have taken the comments about Natalie too far down the pike. I accept she a good person and wish her well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
During the season? Ezi's WNBL season ends at the end of December and it doesn't look like her team will be in the playoffs. Then it'll be a matter of working around her school schedule. If it does happen during the season she'll get a taste of winter in CT.

Well, it can't be too late since she only has until mid April to sign. I assume she'd make a few visits while she's stateside. Probably January or February.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, it can't be too late since she only has until mid April to sign. I assume she'd make a few visits while she's stateside. Probably January or February.

I believe the spring NLI signing period begins mid-April and ends mid-May. She doesn't have to sign a NLI, of course, but most recruits do. I'm told her school calendar may allow for visits in Jan/Feb.

Reaction Score
Honest question: If she's playing for an Australian professional team, how is she NCAA eligible?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Honest question: If she's playing for an Australian professional team, how is she NCAA eligible?

She's not being paid. She attends secondary school in Canberra and plays as an amateur for the Canberra Capitals in the WNBL. She'll decide over the next several months whether she wants to play college ball in the US or attend college and play professionally in Australia.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First and foremost Ezi is still a High School student, 12th grader and I believe her club team plays within walking distance of her home from what I read in a recent article. As part of her "clearing house process" ( eligibility to play) the NCAA requires that prospective student athletes provide written proof that they have not received benefits beyond expense reimbursement from club or professional teams.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This is a good intro to Ezi. Seems like a great (dare I say it... UConn) kid. Kinda reminds me of Chiney. One clip shows her putting the burn on Olivia.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom