Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Which is why the B1G drop the FCS games, and most likely other conferences will eventually follow suit. Minnesota (or Wake or BC or Illinois...pick any of them) is not going to line up murderers row OOC so OSU's or FSU's SOS stays high and the Minn./BC/WF, etc... miss out on bowl games. They will schedule solid P5 and non P5's which will give them a viable chance of winning or going +.500 in their OOC games.

Reaction Score
I think the best thing that could happen for UCONN would be for all P5 conferences to forbid playing FCS schools. Those games that would've been scheduled against FCS schools would end up being scheduled against G5 teams, thus giving UCONN a greater shot at getting quality P5 opponents on the schedule.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Interesting fallout from this… those team depend upon that payday to help fund their athletic departments. When that funding dries up, we will see many of those schools suffer across all athletics.

How many FCS schools area playing these games yearly or every other year?

Reaction Score
I think it is even more than that...

ESPN/Fox/CBS know that it is the bigger name match ups that make for a TV draw.

ESPN has been a willing partner in helping arrange some match ups...There have been more inter conference P5 games scheduled then used to be so....

Alabama has Michigan State and Wisconsin scheduled 2015-17.

FSU will be meeting Okie State in Dallas as a 2014 kickoff classic.....ESPN/Fox arranged.

In 2014, WVU and Bama meet in the Atlanta Chic Fil A kickoff game.....and Wisconsin and LSU open in a game in Houston.

Texas has a four game series scheduled with Notre Dame, H&H's with Ohio State, Cal, and Southern Cal...one and done's with BYU and UCLA.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
given the likely increase to 9 league games in most of the P5 conferences, there is virtually no chance any legit program is going to come to CT for a game unless they get a 2-1 or better. BYU and Boise are about the best you are going to get. Tennessee will likely buy out their game. Why come to CT? there are almost no recruits and no college fan base. Maybe you can get a home game at MetLife from a B1G team, but they already play RU every few years. I doubt there is much interest in playing at Gillette, unless its BC or Syracuse.

Uconn has zero leverage, zero regional appeal and a small stadium.

It sucks, but this is reality. amazingly, there is a real chance that the program may not play another game versus a ranked team again unless it is a one off road game as homecoming fodder. just brutal

Your an idiot

Reaction Score
Your an idiot

I not a fan of mocking posters, especially those who really care about the program, but this made me laugh.

I still don't see any reason why a P5 conference would ever schedule a road game in East Hartford after they go to 9 game schedules. Uconn might be a fine team to bring in instead of Towson, but with three non-conf games these schools are going to play a minimum of two home games. In years with four home conf games then they will play three home games. So there is potentially one road game every other year. The elite programs are moving to neutral site games or series with traditional rivals. Maybe uconn- Rutgers happens. That might be your ceiling. Unless uconn can somehow leverage/sell out it's hoops programs. But their value, especially the Men, will continue to deteriorate the longer it is in the AACk. Boise and BYU are best case scenario, and they have their own schedule issues. To his credit Warde got them done. I'm not sure any casual CT fan cares about either program.

Reaction Score
I think you are underestimating our fan base. Winning is critical to bringing in the casual fan. If Diaco can get this team winning games, the Rent will fill right back up. We do fine when the product is good. The fact that tailgating is a lot of fun and a full game experience lasts 6 hours makes it a great value. Winning will hook new fans, losing while playing boring football will not.

We have a built in fan base. Most northern, central and southern CT residents are UConn fans. We just need to get them committed to football. I'm almost positive Diaco is about to do that.

As far as getting games goes, we will leverage our basketball teams to get games. We will also do neutral site games in the New York/Boston markets when it makes sense. Those things are a given.

Lastly, why do we keep saying our basketball will deteriorate in the AAC? We have good recruits coming in, we are pretty good right now and we have the next Mutombo at center. Further, Memphis has been pretty good for years playing out of CUSA. I think we can survive this for a while. By typing it all over message boards we sure do aid the process of decline. If you think the AAC is that big a problem, then some recruit reading your post might perceive that as well. Let's stay positive and be resilient as a fan base. Nothing says "loser" quite like whining about everything.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I not a fan of mocking posters, especially those who really care about the program, but this made me laugh.

I still don't see any reason why a P5 conference would ever schedule a road game in East Hartford after they go to 9 game schedules. Uconn might be a fine team to bring in instead of Towson, but with three non-conf games these schools are going to play a minimum of two home games. In years with four home conf games then they will play three home games. So there is potentially one road game every other year. The elite programs are moving to neutral site games or series with traditional rivals. Maybe uconn- Rutgers happens. That might be your ceiling. Unless uconn can somehow leverage/sell out it's hoops programs. But their value, especially the Men, will continue to deteriorate the longer it is in the AACk. Boise and BYU are best case scenario, and they have their own schedule issues. To his credit Warde got them done. I'm not sure any casual CT fan cares about either program.

We got your point the first 5 times you made it. thanks.

Reaction Score
UCONN football has averaged 36K at its footballs games the last 5 years (out of a 40K capacity). This is with records of 8-5, 8-5, 5-7, 5-7, and 3-9, but you're right - no one cares about UCONN football....

Reaction Score

Your act is getting old.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't you think the doom and gloom is getting ridiculous in here at times?

Back to the OP, has Warde closed a deal with a P5 team for a home-and-home since he's arrived?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think the best thing that could happen for UCONN would be for all P5 conferences to forbid playing FCS schools. Those games that would've been scheduled against FCS schools would end up being scheduled against G5 teams, thus giving UCONN a greater shot at getting quality P5 opponents on the schedule.
I don't think that is a given, at least for the cream of the P5 crop. The OSUs, MSUs, even the BCs and 'Cuse's want guaranteed wins. It does them no good to lose to a UConn team that is trending up (at least we think it is trending up.). Indiana, Wake, Kentucky, and the like may accept home and homes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Indiana, Wake, Kentucky, and the like may accept home and homes.

I'd take a home and home with any of those....just need to add something to the calendar to keep it interesting.

Reaction Score
I would love for that to be true, but there has yet to be an official announcement from what I recall.

Because it will soon be a league game :D

Nobody gives Warde any credit for getting Michigan to the Rent but they should.

I'd like to see the AAC go to 9 league games to make scheduling easier. We should stop playing the MAC, those games have a huge downside for us and no upside if we win. If we do play the MAC it should be UMASS and only UMASS, at least that game has a little juice to it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because it will soon be a league game :D

Nobody gives Warde any credit for getting Michigan to the Rent but they should.

I'd like to see the AAC go to 9 league games to make scheduling easier. We should stop playing the MAC, those games have a huge downside for us and no upside if we win. If we do play the MAC it should be UMASS and only UMASS, at least that game has a little juice to it.

I hope you're right...

Reaction Score
Rutgirls always has the potential to go winless regardless of the opponents. Once a loser, always a loser. Even the recruits see that as shown by their countless decommits.

Wow, how old are you Road dog? Judging by your ridiculously juvenile posts about Rutgers, if you're a day over 10... then I'm embarrassed for you. If you are over 20....then you are one incredibly immature dude who should seek help. Grow up already.

Reaction Score
Wow, how old are you Road dog? Judging by your ridiculously juvenile posts about Rutgers, if you're a day over 10... then I'm embarrassed for you. If you are over 20....then you are one incredibly immature dude who should seek help. Grow up already.

What would you say to the juvenile clown who said this?

"And I just did a search on "UCONN too smalltime for the real conferences" and got 1.35 million results in 1 second.

https://www.google.com/#q=UCONN too smalltime for the real conferences

But we already knew that
."

Embarrassed for that guy too?

Reaction Score

This post is the reason why we need a DISLIKE BUTTON...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom