Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Anything new on this front? Anything? Bueller? Is it that Warde can't schedule home-and-homes with the mid-tier schools from the P5 or is there a deal in the works for us to go ACC or B1G that's keeping us from adding the bottom-tier P5 and top-tier Group of Five instead?????????? hmmmmm
Connecticut Huskies Football Schedules and Future Schedules_2014-01-13_17-11-03.jpg

Reaction Score
given the likely increase to 9 league games in most of the P5 conferences, there is virtually no chance any legit program is going to come to CT for a game unless they get a 2-1 or better. BYU and Boise are about the best you are going to get. Tennessee will likely buy out their game. Why come to CT? there are almost no recruits and no college fan base. Maybe you can get a home game at MetLife from a B1G team, but they already play RU every few years. I doubt there is much interest in playing at Gillette, unless its BC or Syracuse.

Uconn has zero leverage, zero regional appeal and a small stadium.

It sucks, but this is reality. amazingly, there is a real chance that the program may not play another game versus a ranked team again unless it is a one off road game as homecoming fodder. just brutal

Reaction Score
given the likely increase to 9 league games in most of the P5 conferences, there is virtually no chance any legit program is going to come to CT for a game unless they get a 2-1 or better. BYU and Boise are about the best you are going to get. Tennessee will likely buy out their game. Why come to CT? there are almost no recruits and no college fan base. Maybe you can get a home game at MetLife from a B1G team, but they already play RU every few years. I doubt there is much interest in playing at Gillette, unless its BC or Syracuse.

It sucks, but this is reality. amazingly, there is a real chance that the program may not play another game versus a ranked team again unless it is a one off road game as homecoming fodder. just brutal

There will be ranked teams from the AAC playing UConn in the future. Relax, things are not quite as bad as portrayed on the Boneyard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am not saying your scenario is completely unreasonable, but I do think Herbst would turn the lights out on the football program before she would let it become a MAC level program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I am not saying your scenario is completely unreasonable

Yeah, no .

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First, we have to see what comes out of the NCAA meetings in San Diego. Then, based on those conversations we may see more details on p5 OOC schedule policies going forward by the respective conferences. That said, my gut says the OOC issue will remain foggy for a couple years leaving us without a new series announcement for Football.

Perhaps what we need is a naked power grab by the P5 to put all of this to a head.

Reaction Score

caseygooby-bagofdicks.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be just on the state? Why can't it be a cooperative effort between private investors and the state? Why can't you put together a 50,000 seat covered stadium with shopping and hotel rooms, restaurants and ample parking that can be used any day of the week, any time of the year for just about any public function? It's an investment for sure but done the right way there's no good reason why the state working hand in hand with the private sector couldn't turn a profit. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.

Who wants a dome? Everybody hates domes. Most of them are in the south, to provide AC in hot weather. Fall in CT is pretty pleasant. Grass is for soccer, but I like natural turf. They don't play as late as the NFL, so the problems are less than the Patriots had with grass for example.

As for restaurants and shopping, if they wanted it to be the centerpiece of an entertainment district (assume you are picturing something like Patriot Place) then they sure as hell shouldn't have built it in East Hartford. The state cheaped out and took the free land. But let's not pretend it's a location where people would tend to go otherwise.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think there's a huge difference in being negative about our upcoming season, new coaching staff, etc. and being negative about our current conference and situation outside of the P5.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season, but unless something changes for us conference wise we are with regards to competeing with our regional peers in football.

Reaction Score
I'm a Husky fan.........would love to see P5 such as USC, Texas, Fla, etc. even if it is an away game. I could express my thoughts through a 1000 MW bullhorn to Ward......won't help much.........for on the other side of the equation you have fans at the aforementioned schools using a powerful bullhorn to yell at their AD "We don't want to play UConn". Right now there is probably a lot of concern playing UConn in FB from top to bottom of P5 leagues.

Its all about SOS. P5 teams add strength to UConn's OOC agenda. UConn basically weakens the SOS of many P5 schools, even their lower conference member schools. Offering a game with UConn BB does nothing to enhance top P5 SOS for playing UConn in football. Plenty of good P5 basketball programs so top P5 schools could easily get good OOC games in both FB & BB staying within the top P5 element.

We could probably get some decent, meaningful games against the upper reaches of the Mountain West and MAC for OOC. But right now, I don't expect much from P5.......even our former BE mates.

Its not a P5 conspiracy or hate (in most instances) against UConn........its SOS and potential for some monetary windfalls.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
We will have future 1-1 series w/ mid-to-lower tier P5 schools, you can count on it. Rutgers will most likely be one of them.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity can one team demand a buyout of a game? I know Michigan wanted to buy out the game last year or move it and we said no but if Tennessee for instance wanted to buy our game at the Rent out could we just say "no" and make them play us?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
To follow up- I love what Warde did by saying no to Michigan and making them play us at the Rent. Need more atmospheres like that to have people fully realize what college football can be

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity can one team demand a buyout of a game? I know Michigan wanted to buy out the game last year or move it and we said no but if Tennessee for instance wanted to buy our game at the Rent out could we just say "no" and make them play us?

I'm sure the contract has a buy-out fee. Michigan made the conscious choice not to spend the money to get out of the game.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I'm sure the contract has a buy-out fee. Michigan made the conscious choice not to spend the money to get out of the game.
I haven't seen the contract, but since Tennessee is coming here first, I would think the buyout would be an exorbitant amout of money and not worth it for Tenn to buyout the series.

Michigan put pressure on UConn to move the game, we said no, and they honored their end of the deal -- correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think publicly the Michigan AD ever mentioned "buyout" (even if some of their fans wanted it). I give Michigan much respect for coming to the Rent.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, for a season in which they open a brand new stadium, Houston is desperate for OOC teams.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Houston: The University of Houston is looking for a home game for the 2014 season. September 20th and 27th are open; but have some flexibility for other dates as well. Future years are negotiable. Please call Ken McClintock at 713.743.9390 or email krmcclin@central.uh.edu if interested.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, for a season in which they open a brand new stadium, Houston is desperate for OOC teams.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Houston: The University of Houston is looking for a home game for the 2014 season. September 20th and 27th are open; but have some flexibility for other dates as well. Future years are negotiable. Please call Ken McClintock at 713.743.9390 or email krmcclin@central.uh.edu if interested.
Ouch...

Reaction Score
P5 teams are looking to beef up SOS to impact runs at the play off....

example....VT has future home and home games with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State...and a game with Notre Dame at home.

Clemson will be playing Georgia and South Carolina with a Notre Dame home game.

Miami will be playing Nebraska and Michigan State and a Notre Dame home game.

North Carolina will open 2015 with South Carolina and has H&H's with Ohio State and plays ND in 2014.

Pitt has a four game series with Penn State, plays Notre Dame, and a game with Iowa.

Virginia has a three game series with BYU...H&H's with
UConn, UCLA, Stanford, Boise State, and one game with Oregon and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I love the SOS reasoning as to why P5 schools wouldn't schedule UConn. Reality is 75-80% of P5 schools aren't worrying about their SOS when scheduling FB games, and another 10% shouldn't be. Aside from the top 10-20 vying for a top 4 finish, SOS doesn't mean . I just can't see Minnesota's AD weighing out SOS factors while scheduling OOC games.

Reaction Score
I love the SOS reasoning as to why P5 schools wouldn't schedule UConn. Reality is 75-80% of P5 schools aren't worrying about their SOS when scheduling FB games, and another 10% shouldn't be. Aside from the top 10-20 vying for a top 4 finish, SOS doesn't mean . I just can't see Minnesota's AD weighing out SOS factors while scheduling OOC games.

But the Big 10 is concerned about it and because of that Minnesota has to be concerned about it. If Ohio State is on the fringe for getting into the playoff and they played a Minnesota team that played a very weak out of conference team it effects Ohio States SOS. That is why all of the P5 conferences are concerned about SOS and having their teams improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom