Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule | The Boneyard

Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We need to beef up the schedule ASAP. We need a series with someone in the B1G (the Rutgers series has yet to be officially announced, right?) and a second series with someone in the ACC (Syracuse, Pitt, VT).

I'd also take one of those road openers with Ohio State, Penn State, etc too. We need press. We need to be seen. The strategy to avoid the top 20 programs for OOC games in the past was the right choice for our Big East days, now its more about exposure than avoiding embarrassment.

One team I would leave on their island though is WV. Let them sit out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree on the schedule to a point, I think the schedule is better than it has been for sure but can continue to ramp up if nothing else for the exposure but mainly for me to tell the potential recruits we will be playing the big boys too. (and hopefully knocking a few off)
Why the hatred for WV? What did they do that we wouldn't have if we were offered? I for one would gladly accept a series with them. The outpouring they showed our fans and team still holds weight with me, and will for a very long time.

Reaction Score
Now is a good time to score some wins against West Virginia. They are a proud program.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agree on the schedule to a point, I think the schedule is better than it has been for sure but can continue to ramp up if nothing else for the exposure but mainly for me to tell the potential recruits we will be playing the big boys too. (and hopefully knocking a few off)
Why the hatred for WV? What did they do that we wouldn't have if we were offered? I for one would gladly accept a series with them. The outpouring they showed our fans and team still holds weight with me, and will for a very long time.

On WV, I could be persuaded ignoring them is not the right call....however we have always played poorly against them and more importantly, I don't want to give them a game in the northeast which maybe helpful for their recruiting. Perhaps the later point is over stated. Anywho, if the ACC and B1G wont play us, then we should absolutely make a series with WV.

Reaction Score
ward should focus on schedulibg big ten schools. . maybe iowa ,indiana another series with michigan. we need to keep knockibg on their door

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Looks like a lot of you guys want to play a lot of road games then.

Reaction Score
I just want double digit wins and some conference championships. I want people openly wondering why we are stuck in the AAC.

We also need to sell tickets and make money. Hard to do that with less home games.

My guess is that some tough competition in the AAC will emerge and give the home conference schedule some appeal, Cincy, UCF, Houston maybe Tulsa who knows.

Reaction Score
The teams hat have gotten play recently are Louisville and Northern Illinois and Fresno St.

I'd suggest scheduling as tough as they have over the next few years. The goal should be 11-1. Doesn't matter how you get there.

From there, you get a big bowl game, and if you win it, you're made.

Reaction Score
The teams hat have gotten play recently are Louisville and Northern Illinois and Fresno St.

I'd suggest scheduling as tough as they have over the next few years. The goal should be 11-1. Doesn't matter how you get there.

From there, you get a big bowl game, and if you win it, you're made.

Fresno St and NIU. Schedule them.

Reaction Score
Not what I thought was meant by "beefing up" but OK.

My thought was if these are the teams that are in the top 25 and have a shot at the bigger bowls by being ranked higher, then we need to play and beat them.

Reaction Score
Call Iowa... good story line.

coach d.jpg

Reaction Score
I think we should have long term series with BC and Rutgers. Play one at home, one away each year.

I also think we should approach schools with a bundle offer. I think a school such as Wisconsin would be open to a home a home spanning MBB/WBB//FB. Logistically you can't do this a whole lot but this may be beneficial across the board. I could see schools such as MSU, Kentucky, Baylor, etc going for this.

We need to do our best to maintain a 3 home 1 away split OOC. Will be hard, but I think Warde can do it.

Reaction Score
Would pefer 3 for 2's to two for one's with exceptions for teams that are perceived as ftball powers, or garner tremendous eposure be but are generally overrated or within reach of us on the field. Last thing we need is a blowout against.

Reaction Score
There's a tension here between wanting to garner exposure (i.e. by playing good teams) and to run up a gaudy record (i.e. by playing shietty teams).

The question is: would we rather be involved in marquee regular season games, but end up at 8-4 and in a middling bowl; or would we rather play nobody worth a d*mn in the regular season, get to 11-1 and maybe have a slim chance at a BCS-caliber bowl (with people questioning whether we deserve it if we get there)?

Reaction Score
There's a tension here between wanting to garner exposure (i.e. by playing good teams) and to run up a gaudy record (i.e. by playing shietty teams).

The question is: would we rather be involved in marquee regular season games, but end up at 8-4 and in a middling bowl; or would we rather play nobody worth a d*mn in the regular season, get to 11-1 and maybe have a slim chance at a BCS-caliber bowl (with people questioning whether we deserve it if we get there)?

Going forward - not gonna get anywhere near the 6 New Year's Day/BCS caliber bowls with a crappy SOS... will get passed by in the committee seedings by 2-3 loss teams from P-5 conferences. Shoot for the sky!!

I do agree that just making it back to consistent bowl appearances is job #1

Reaction Score
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/connecticut-huskies.php

I like the way this looks presently. Good games against Boise and BYU. I like playing them because it positions us

Schedule cake worked well for K State.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
2014 isn't bad. I'd like to replace either Army or Villanova in 2015 (nova) 2016 should add two home games, one mid level P5 and one win.

Virginia and Boise are fine but I don't expect either to be any good by then so add a marquis name even a one off road game.

The 11-1 strategy for scheduling isn't going to work as well going forward. The cabal is now comfortable with snubbing these teams from the G-5.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that a home and home with Tennessee is also coming up.

Reaction Score
Just have to go to somebody's house and in front of 100K or so stuff them. Open the phone book and pick one.

Reaction Score

If those are our options starting next year I'll take A and B in any order.

Reaction Score
Scheduling is a delicate balance. You need to get games that attract fans, plus balance the home scheule and you have to be sure you don't overload the schedule. Look at Boise St. For all the nonsense about anyone anywhere, that isn't what they actually do. Their conference games are just ok, they schedule mostly mid-level P5 games and lately neutral site games. their original notariety came from upsetting Oklahoma, not from regular season wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom