Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did you really pick that name?

Ya..didn't realize it was already in opposite use..my 2 teams are my alma mater Hawks and Huskies..i guess if i had tried it the opposite way, it would've said in-use..my apologies

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Trap games? When these games are scheduled they're done so 5-8 years out usually. Any team can be good any season. To call Buffalo a trap game is insane. They aren't consistently good, they're sometimes decent. We happened to play them on a decent year. Same with Western Michigan. As someone posted above, when we scheduled that Boise St game it looked good. Peterson has left and come 2018, it might not be so great a game. When we scheduled Towson, I doubt they were very good or likely to be good. This is the problem with scheduling, it's done so far out that you never know what you'll get. THIS is why you need some name brand teams. We don't need Top Level but names like Tennessee and the likes are good starts.

Tennessee is a perfect type of game. They are a great historic program on a slide, with a giant stadium and following. I think a home-home with the same for men's basketball would work for Arkansas as well, and maybe the Mississippi schools. Maybe a school like Cal would bite on that too. Kansas might. If you dare to think bigger, Wisconsin might be attracted by the basketball deal, maybe even Florida. Sadly, Penn St. probably wouldn't.

Like it our not, our basketball program needs to stay up, so we can use it as leverage for home and homes against P5 opponents. We are now officially a mid major...above the MAC or Sunbelt, yes, but viewed about the same as we all view MWC programs. We need to find P5 programs that want to showcase basketball and get a potential national TV hoops game out of it. As noted above, you never know what they will be by the time we play them anyway (unless it is Indiana, they will suck at football).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ya..didn't realize it was already in opposite use..my 2 teams are my alma mater Hawks and Huskies..i guess if i had tried it the opposite way, it would've said in-use..my apologies

I do the same...what school are your Hawks?

Reaction Score
Lehigh..was at the game in Greensboro when they took out Duke in the tournament a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals3h
Jack Swarbrick on playing Nevada (Polian) and UMass (Molnar) “We like to play our family.” Hunch is you’ll see Miami of Ohio and UConn later

From the transcript of today's Jack Swarbrick ND schedule Presser:

>>We like to play our family. Coach Molnar at UMass, Coach Polian at Nevada. As our coaches move around, you can anticipate future games that might be down the line here. We want to use that not just to fill a slot but to fill one of the others criteria we have in what we're trying to achieve here.<<

>>Q. You mentioned the opportunity for Miami or Connecticut to be on the future schedule.

JACK SWARBRICK: Everybody, frankly. We have somebody go be an AD somewhere, coaching, it will continue to be a factor. Sometimes the balance will shift. We can pick up a Rice and play peer institutions, sometimes we have a friend in a position with an open schedule. I always want to have some basis for articulating why that decision was made. I don't want to get it because the cost of buying game A was cheaper than the cost of buying game B. I want to have a reason for playing that opponent. <<

BobMcGovernJr1:02pm via Twitter for Windows Phone
Interested to see if this has an effect on the 2015 Notre Dame game. Irish AD said Molnar had role in scheduling.

Hmmmm....

Reaction Score
Lehigh..was at the game in Greensboro when they took out Duke in the tournament a couple years ago.

I guess HawkHusky is better than EngineerHusky. (Lehigh was formerly The Engineers)

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'd to see some more games against MAC, Sun Belt and Mountain West schools personally. These are winable, relalistic games which are still exciting, gets us on TV, and gets people into the statdium. There are stong schools in these conferences, and getting them to The Rent in a empty slot in our schedule would be great. Think about it- Nothern Illinois; Arkansas State; Lousiana-Laffayette; Fresno State; Nevada; Wyoming; even a Bowling Green? Maybe playing Boise State will help those relationships build in the future.

Reaction Score
We don't want to travel to Wyoming or Lafayette. We need to limit 1 and 1s with teams in remote locales and Sun Belt teams.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nebraska scheduled a road football game at Cincy (albeit in 2025) in order for a home and home with their basketball team. I'd be very willing to do the same deal with them if its still available

Reaction Score
Nebraska scheduled a road football game at Cincy (albeit in 2025) in order for a home and home with their basketball team. I'd be very willing to do the same deal with them if its still available

Yes, but not in 2025, please. By then we should be in the B1G Atlantic American (a merger of the AAC, ACC and the B1G).

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot that has been said. UConn desperately needs to get back to a bowl game yet the out of conference schedule has to be attractive enough to increase attendance. The Huskies seem to be getting the cold shoulder from former Big East bretheren and I'd like to hear an explanation from Manuel as to why he can't get traditional regional rivals on future schedules. Specifically Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Penn St and West Virginia. "We're working on it" just isn't enough. Are they boycotting UConn? If so, why.... specifically why? Manuel should explain who he has contacted and what the reason is for not playing long time rivals. That way UConn Nation can collectively work to correct or to at least understand. If it's the fans then say so. If it's the field conditions or recruiting territory or contract disputes just let the people know.

On a side note: That field needs to be replaced. Natural grass is not going to be reliable enough in Connecticut year after year and if you want to hold other events besides 6 college football games your going to need something other than real grass. If field turf makes play faster it makes play faster for both teams. It's also time to think about enclosing the Rent more than it is to try and eliminate as much of the wind tunnel effect as possible and hopefully protect the fans more from the elements. If you want 40 to eventually 50,000+ fans to show up religiously for UConn home games you have to make the "home" comfortable enough for fickle Connecticut residents. Sitting in freezing rain on a late November, early December weeknight is not conducive to maximizing casual fan participation.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
LOL - A domed stadium anywhere in the Northeast has been historically nixed. Syracuse is the only one, and that has not been a winner at all.

Foxboro, NJ, Philly, Washington, Baltimore, BUFFALO!!!, etc.

Football is an outdoor sport. Fieldturf is a different discussion, but doming is not. Unless you're moving a bunch of sports there (i.e. what Adrian's Landing was meant to be), it's a non-starter.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot that has been said. UConn desperately needs to get back to a bowl game yet the out of conference schedule has to be attractive enough to increase attendance. The Huskies seem to be getting the cold shoulder from former Big East bretheren and I'd like to hear an explanation from Manuel as to why he can't get traditional regional rivals on future schedules. Specifically Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Penn St and West Virginia. "We're working on it" just isn't enough. Are they boycotting UConn? If so, why.... specifically why? Manuel should explain who he has contacted and what the reason is for not playing long time rivals. That way UConn Nation can collectively work to correct or to at least understand. If it's the fans then say so. If it's the field conditions or recruiting territory or contract disputes just let the people know.

On a side note: That field needs to be replaced. Natural grass is not going to be reliable enough in Connecticut year after year and if you want to hold other events besides 6 college football games your going to need something other than real grass. If field turf makes play faster it makes play faster for both teams. It's also time to think about enclosing the Rent more than it is to try and eliminate as much of the wind tunnel effect as possible and hopefully protect the fans more from the elements. If you want 40 to eventually 50,000+ fans to show up religiously for UConn home games you have to make the "home" comfortable enough for fickle Connecticut residents. Sitting in freezing rain on a late November, early December weeknight is not conducive to maximizing casual fan participation.
I saw a rumor a little over a month ago on RU's r**als site that they were working on getting UConn on the near future schedule and someone said its even posted somewhere on UConn's future schedule? I know RU wants to keep Temple and UConn as future scheduled games. I'm not sure about Cuse and BC though at least by the sound of their FB on their boards?

Reaction Score
Completely disagree.

It is not the job of the AD to keep fans updated with contract negotiations. Which school does that (or which business does, for that matter)? Pitt and Cuse have been out of the league for 1 year; BC has been pretty clear as to their view of UConn FB; did UConn ever play Penn State? Regardless, none of those schools looks at us as a rival and may want to get more exposure off the east coast. Our schedule is full thru 15. One can argue that that is the year when our BE exit fees cease coming in and well, maybe, there is a plan to play in a different conference come '16, hence the flexibility. Regardless, while it makes nice conversation here, it is not the job of the AD to tell us what he is planning, thinking, confronting, etc. in ANY aspect of the job.

I like the grass field, and hope we do not go to a recycled tire playing field. While hopeful we can at least get expansion stadium on the radar, I'm not aware of any plans to enclose the stadium. I have seen no evidence that more fans would come if it was just a tad warmer and less breezy. Heck, at least 1/2 the schedule is played when in very comfortable weather (as an aside, I long for the day when we stop playing conference games in Dec. - December should be reserved for the conf championship).

I could care a less if fickle fans come - they tend to stand in the endzone area and drink beer all day, aloof to the events on the field. Beyond the die hards, winning brings fans out. Playing for bowl games in November will be enough for folks to put on a coat and a hat and come on out. Watching the last 3 years was enough to make many stay home.

Reaction Score
The "wind tunnel effect" is part of the RENT's charm, & hopefully, a major contributor to a home field advantage for the Huskies. I'm not for making the building more amenable for the wine, cheese, & fondue elements. You want climate comfort, dress for the occasion.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Regardless of what you would like to hear, negotiating through the media is typically not a good idea. It's a tactic of ambulance chasing lawyers? Think Classy, you'll be classy. What steps would you expect fans or the school to take to abate a supposed boycott? Coach Diaco would be derelict in his duties to agree to not recruit a certain territory. He has fiduciary duty to his employer, not an opposing school. Field conditions are a different story, though OOC games are typically played in September when field conditions are not an issue.

I wouldn't mind field turf, but its been said time an time again that Rentschler is set up to host international soccer which requires natural grass. I don't know the cost benefit of grass trays for FIFA soccer like they used to do at the Meadowlands, but it should maybe be explored. Also UConn pays rent to use the facility. They do not own or operate the venue. Covering the stadium is a non-starter for the state. It would probably cost more to do that than to raze it and start over again. Be sensible. Winning cures a lot of issues. The students didn't show for the Rutgers game because UConn was 1-9, had played exactly 3 good halves of football up to that point, and it was 19 degrees. Returning to East Hartford was likely not a top priority. 17,000 showed for the Memphis game because both teams amassed exactly 5 wins between them and the game had no postseason ramifications.

Reaction Score
I think it's ridiculous that there aren't more domed or retractable domed stadiums in the North. If they can build domed stadiums in Texas, Louisiana and Georgia why in the world would you not build a multi-use retractable domed stadium in the Northeast in fairly close proximity to I-95? College football, Final Fours, endless trade shows and conventions, concerts, hockey, baseball, soccer, AHL, exhibition NFL, NBA and NHL, circus's, fairs...... if you can't book a place like that around here 4 days a week then your doing something wrong. I don't care what other facilities do, you put the right people in place and a building like that can profit...in CT.

As far as Manuel explaining his business to the fans, not asking for an itinerary, just an explanation as to whether or not BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Penn St and Rutgers are on the plate for future non conference games and if not...why not.

The field issue, natural grass is not reliable enough of a surface from year to year and from sideline to sideline in CT. You want a field that has pretty much the same footing no matter where on the field you are. The players don't need their own home field to be a disadvantage. How many international soccer games have been played at the rent in the last 5 years? If it's more than the number of college football games then you have a valid argument but I'll bet it's more like one or two a year.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Completely disagree.

It is not the job of the AD to keep fans updated with contract negotiations. Which school does that (or which business does, for that matter)? Pitt and Cuse have been out of the league for 1 year; BC has been pretty clear as to their view of UConn FB; did UConn ever play Penn State? Regardless, none of those schools looks at us as a rival and may want to get more exposure off the east coast. Our schedule is full thru 15. One can argue that that is the year when our BE exit fees cease coming in and well, maybe, there is a plan to play in a different conference come '16, hence the flexibility. Regardless, while it makes nice conversation here, it is not the job of the AD to tell us what he is planning, thinking, confronting, etc. in ANY aspect of the job.

I like the grass field, and hope we do not go to a recycled tire playing field. While hopeful we can at least get expansion stadium on the radar, I'm not aware of any plans to enclose the stadium. I have seen no evidence that more fans would come if it was just a tad warmer and less breezy. Heck, at least 1/2 the schedule is played when in very comfortable weather (as an aside, I long for the day when we stop playing conference games in Dec. - December should be reserved for the conf championship).

I could care a less if fickle fans come - they tend to stand in the endzone area and drink beer all day, aloof to the events on the field. Beyond the die hards, winning brings fans out. Playing for bowl games in November will be enough for folks to put on a coat and a hat and come on out. Watching the last 3 years was enough to make many stay home.
I thought the Stadium was built with future capacity expansion in mind. I'm almost positive it was not meant to be domed. It is not the same design as what they proposed for Downtown in anticipation of the Patriots. It would cost an arm and a leg to enclose the stadium.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think it's ridiculous that there aren't more domed or retractable domed stadiums in the North. If they can build domed stadiums in Texas, Louisiana and Georgia why in the world would you not build a multi-use retractable domed stadium in the Northeast in fairly close proximity to I-95? College football, Final Fours, endless trade shows and conventions, concerts, hockey, baseball, soccer, AHL, exhibition NFL, NBA and NHL, circus's, fairs. if you can't book a place like that around here 4 days a week then your doing something wrong. I don't care what other facilities do, you put the right people in place and a building like that can profit...in CT.

As far as Manuel explaining his business to the fans, not asking for an itinerary, just an explanation as to whether or not BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Penn St and Rutgers are on the plate for future non conference games and if not...why not.

The field issue, natural grass is not reliable enough of a surface from year to year and from sideline to sideline in CT. You want a field that has pretty much the same footing no matter where on the field you are. The players don't need their own home field to be a disadvantage.

1. Always easy to spend someone else's money, ain't it? I can just see the State Assembly pulling a collective Joey Knish (You need $300 Mil for a retractable dome? I need a Bl**job from Christy Turlington."). Have fun with that...
2. Fairly close proximity to 95? People are yapping about UConn's the home stadium being a mere 1/2 hour away, now you want to UMass Amherst it? That would drive the program into the ground faster and more efficiently than Former "Coach" Pasqualoni could ever dream about doing.
3. I'd be fairly surprised if Mr. Manuel is not having ongoing conversations with all of these programs. Here's the issue. Just like it does not benefit UConn to play UMass, it does not benefit the Penn State's of the world to play UConn. Also, both teams have to have room in their respective schedules.

Reaction Score
As far as Manuel explaining his business to the fans, not asking for an itinerary, just an explanation as to whether or not BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Penn St and Rutgers are on the plate for future non conference games and if not...why not

Send him a letter... let us know what he says.

Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be just on the state? Why can't it be a cooperative effort between private investors and the state? Why can't you put together a 50,000 seat covered stadium with shopping and hotel rooms, restaurants and ample parking that can be used any day of the week, any time of the year for just about any public function? It's an investment for sure but done the right way there's no good reason why the state working hand in hand with the private sector couldn't turn a profit. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be just on the state? Why can't it be a cooperative effort between private investors and the state? Why can't you put together a 50,000 seat covered stadium with shopping and hotel rooms, restaurants and ample parking that can be used any day of the week, any time of the year for just about any public function? It's an investment for sure but done the right way there's no good reason why the state working hand in hand with the private sector couldn't turn a profit. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.
Refer back to the first sentence of point #1 in my previous post.

Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah, yeah. People saying "it can't" is the reason UConn is a few decades behind the institutions it wants to associate with. "You can't", "we can't", "they can't". Keep saying and believing it and you'll always be a follower, never a leader.

Reaction Score
The "wind tunnel effect" is part of the RENT's charm, & hopefully, a major contributor to a home field advantage for the Huskies. I'm not for making the building more amenable for the wine, cheese, & fondue elements. You want climate comfort, dress for the occasion.

It may be charming for the diehards, but for bringing in new fans and making us more attactive to recruits, other leagues and their fans it's a negative. A partial enclosure would be an improvement in all respects. I've never heard anyone walking around in the cold saying I wish it was windy too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32