Newton: It’s early but we hope he can go this week | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Newton: It’s early but we hope he can go this week

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Hurley blatantly lying about an injury. If it were anything serious he would at worst have been vague
I think he could just be saying that. Like others said, it didn’t look like he got hit, but it sure did look like an unhealthy stretch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he could just be saying that. Like others said, it didn’t look like he got hit, but it sure did look like an unhealthy stretch.
We’ll know soon enough. But if you look at the player guarding Newton as Newton falls down his hands and arms go up as if to imply he didn’t hit Newton but his facial expression conveys that there was a recognition he got all ball but the wrong one.

Reaction Score
I blew up the size on the video and watched it several times, saw him overstretch and that’s all, but If he got hit there it was an invisible chop.

Reaction Score
It looks like a groin pull. Not the kind of thing that you can rub down on national television.

As someone that has played hoops for over 50 years, I hope it is minor. A groin pull severely limits your mobility - jumping and making cuts - and takes an inordinate amount of time to correct itself.

Since we haven't heard anything yet, it's probably not significant. Newton didn't look bothered when he returned to the bench.

Reaction Score
It looks like a groin pull. Not the kind of thing that you can rub down on national television.

As someone that has played hoops for over 50 years, I hope it is minor. A groin pull severely limits your mobility - jumping and making cuts - and takes an inordinate amount of time to correct itself.

Since we haven't heard anything yet, it's probably not significant. Newton didn't look bothered when he returned to the bench.

Not hearing anything with Hurley in charge of the media updates unfortunately could still be significant.

Let’s hope no news is good news in this case!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not hearing anything with Hurley in charge of the media updates unfortunately could still be significant.

With Hurley, you just don't know. "He seems fine...day to day..."

terry gilliam film GIF

Reaction Score
With Hurley, you just don't know. "He seems fine...day to day..."

terry gilliam film GIF
You're right, it could be gamesmanship. Not letting the opposition game plan.

Appreciate the Monte Python reference.

I just hope it is nothing. Newton has real skills and am looking forward to seeing his development. It seems he can get to the line whenever he wants.

Reaction Score

It‘s normal operating procedure for UCONN and their injuries, they are always secretive and tell as little as possible unless the injury is very serious and obvious and we all know what it was.

Reaction Score
You're right, it could be gamesmanship. Not letting the opposition game plan.

Appreciate the Monte Python reference.

I just hope it is nothing. Newton has real skills and am looking forward to seeing his development. It seems he can get to the line whenever he wants.

If it was gamesmanship, don't you think it would make much more sense strategically to say "He's out with injury, unlikely he'll play", and then spring a perfectly fine Newton on them on gameday?

The takes and theories in this place....

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If it was gamesmanship, don't you think it would make much more sense strategically to say "He's out with injury, unlikely he'll play", and then spring a perfectly fine Newton on them on gameday?

The takes and theories in this place....
You know - Hurley hasn't commented on any of the starters health. They could all be out Thursday.

Reaction Score
You better hope he's not out bcause if he is were in trouble. He has been playing great.
We need all of our bullets vs Oregon.
That’s why I’m critical of Hurley here. I get that he wants to get him to 20 minutes before playing Oregon.

But imo the extra 4-5 minutes near the end of the game when you are already up 40 isn’t going to teach Newton anything that he doesn’t already know or that can’t be addressed in the film room before the big game

Reaction Score
That’s why I’m critical of Hurley here. I get that he wants to get him to 20 minutes before playing Oregon.

But imo the extra 4-5 minutes near the end of the game when you are already up 40 isn’t going to teach Newton anything that he doesn’t already know or that can’t be addressed in the film room before the big game
Would you all relax...Newton is fine and will be in the starting lineup tomorrow. Stop worrying about nothing

Reaction Score

I kinda understand this, but should they stop practicing too? Stop doing all contact drills & such. Seems like the exposure to injury in a game is small compared to everything that goes on behind the scenes, we just don’t get to witness it.

Reaction Score
I kinda understand this, but should they stop practicing too? Stop doing all contact drills & such. Seems like the exposure to injury in a game is small compared to everything that goes on behind the scenes, we just don’t get to witness it.
I always felt that no matter how hard you practice, kids still go harder and take more risks in games. Even when they are up by a lot. Stats are recorded and everything is official

Reaction Score
I had this injury. Was wiping tables after lunch, didn't see a spill on the tile floor, unexpected split. Not fun

This was 2nd grade and I was fine by the time I got to recess. #notconcerned

Reaction Score

He was building up his cardio in a game situation. What's not to understand? Your adrenaline is different in a game, there is a crowd in the stands, your focus is different, you are unfamiliar with the opponent, there are real consequences to your actions, it's different from practice.

The fact you are mentioning the score shows you don't understand what Hurley was doing. The score had nothing to do with it.

“If there is any negative (from the Delaware State game) it’s just not getting Andre that cardio, into the 20-minute-plus range, Tristen (Newton) not into the 20-plus range, are probably the only negatives for me,” Hurley said.

Reaction Score
He was building up his cardio in a game situation. What's not to understand? Your adrenaline is different in a game, there is a crowd in the stands, your focus is different, you are unfamiliar with the opponent, there are real consequences to your actions, it's different from practice.

The fact you are mentioning the score shows you don't understand what Hurley was doing. The score had nothing to do with it.

“If there is any negative (from the Delaware State game) it’s just not getting Andre that cardio, into the 20-minute-plus range, Tristen (Newton) not into the 20-plus range, are probably the only negatives for me,” Hurley said.
Listen, I’m typically the one to back up Hurley in most situations. But I just don’t agree philosophically with playing starters at the end of the games that are already decided. Whatever justification there is, I wouldn’t do it.

And if Newton is injured or if any of our starters did actually get hurt in that scenario, most here wouldn’t be so quick to disagree with me.

Reaction Score
Listen, I’m typically the one to back up Hurley in most situations. But I just don’t agree philosophically with playing starters at the end of the games that are already decided. Whatever justification there is, I wouldn’t do it.

And if Newton is injured or if any of our starters did actually get hurt in that scenario, most here wouldn’t be so quick to disagree with me.
Hurley has been a pretty successful college coach and that's his system. We're going to have to learn to live with it. But if you look at the quote below, it sure seems like Newton is fine.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You know - Hurley hasn't commented on any of the starters health. They could all be out Thursday.

Only Jon Rothstein is privy to that info

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom