Newton: It’s early but we hope he can go this week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton: It’s early but we hope he can go this week

Reaction Score
lately, i could post this every day around here
db91b4918f2667208ca8ed18aeb543df.jpg

dr.boneyard, medical detective!
the story, thus far in todays pound...
the nice lady, just before the big game, kinda takes a header, mebbe faints. off to hospital, now out, reports are she is feeling much better...

point baller, mebbe slips. lots of groin jokes, a call or two on cramps, whispers on hammys, reports of danny saying he got hit in a bad spot, late thoughts on an acl. telemedicine remote diagnosis raising ideas of inguinal hernia, whatever that is.

that is all.
Has the clinic set up shop in front of its building?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Definitely done this before, hopefully it's just tweaked and no biggie. Glad I've never gone and full blown my groin. :oops:

But you would if you could.

-Every dog.

Reaction Score
lately, i could post this every day around here
db91b4918f2667208ca8ed18aeb543df.jpg

dr.boneyard, medical detective!
the story, thus far in todays pound...
the nice lady, just before the big game, kinda takes a header, mebbe faints. off to hospital, now out, reports are she is feeling much better...

point baller, mebbe slips. lots of groin jokes, a call or two on cramps, whispers on hammys, reports of danny saying he got hit in a bad spot, late thoughts on an acl. telemedicine remote diagnosis raising ideas of inguinal hernia, whatever that is.

that is all.
Maybe if Newton misses some time we can get Azzi some run.

Reaction Score
Hurley didn't seem to concerned in post game presser...said he thinks Newton got hit in a bad spot and should be ok.

Hurley said he wanted to get rotation players to around 20 mins threshold in a game like that and Newton played exactly 20 mins so that explains why he was still in.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you are up by 40 with 4 mins left I think it's ok to save your starters/stars. Doesn't mean the walk ons have to come in but not even close to worth risking it.
Later in the season absolutely.

But these early games are equivalent to practices where players are working on development.

There’s always a risk of injury but it would be coaching malpractice to have your starters miss the last 4 minutes of a practice because of that fear. And those practices from players comments are more intense than these early cupcakes.

The value of these early games over practices is the unfamiliarity of different opposing players play making. It develops twitch team reaction. This is a newly assembled team that needs as much time as possible to work on this.

Reaction Score
I agree, Hurley said he was trying to get players a certain amount of minutes of actual play for cardiac purpores. Since Newton dodn't get much playing time in the first half, he was in for conditioning.

From that point of view it makes sense. It wasn't about the score. It was prep for upcoming games which could not be accomplished on the bench.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Hurley didn't seem to concerned in post game presser...said he thinks Newton got hit in a bad spot and should be ok.

Hurley said he wanted to get rotation players to around 20 mins threshold in a game like that and Newton played exactly 20 mins so that explains why he was still in.
Hopefully its nothing significant. Not sure Hurley’s comments hold any weight. We all know how much he likes revealing injury info. It was pretty clear getting hit in the junk is not what happened, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t totally fine now.

Reaction Score
Only when it's another man do you wish it was a groin pull instead of a hammie.
I’ve had both, and I’m not sure which is worse. Both seemed to linger much longer than I expected.

Reaction Score
Big diff between cohonnes and groin.. Have had both in FB.. Groin is a slow rebound in most situations. A good taping job helps a lot.. Playing on a surface with ice underneath is not helpful for quick BB moves

Reaction Score
Analytics has made it to UConn men's basketball. 20 minutes BS. Fudge. CYA attempt.

Reaction Score
Went back and watched the play. I don't see anyone or anything come remotely close to hitting him in that area. He clearly is holding his right groin when he sits down and talking with Doran. I don't buy that's what happened, but it also doesn't mean it's anything serious either especially from folks on Twitter saying he 1) stayed on the bench 2) walked without any sign of a limp or assistance. It's really hard to say and I doubt we get anymore information until Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Big diff between cohonnes and groin.. Have had both in FB.. Groin is a slow rebound in most situations. A good taping job helps a lot.. Playing on a surface with ice underneath is not helpful for quick BB moves
He didn't slip on the court. He stepped on another player's foot.

Reaction Score
Went back and watched the play. I don't see anyone or anything come remotely close to hitting him in that area. He clearly is holding his right groin when he sits down and talking with Doran. I don't buy that's what happened, but it also doesn't mean it's anything serious either especially from folks on Twitter saying he 1) stayed on the bench 2) walked without any sign of a limp or assistance. It's really hard to say and I doubt we get anymore information until Wednesday.
It's hard to tell from the camera angle, definitely just a slip when he stepped on the defender's foot but the only thing I can think of is maybe it happened when the defender dove on the floor to get the ball. Right at the end it looked like there could have been an elbow in that area when they showed the below the basket angle

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Here's the whole clip, I actually do as @navery12 noted see an elbow does come in before the clip is cut off so that could have been it

wow, same exact causation as last weeks - left leg attempted plant, wrong angle, traction slip. looks like it hurt upon impact, too, as he immediately dropped the ball, tho that move could also be an imbalance reaction, possible push-up move coming.
im betting on 'ouch' for the ball drop. shockwave.
sometimes at impact, an injury can make us go limp.
sometimes at impact, an injury can make us go clench.
stretchy moves that like can go a lot of ways. if truly just small stretchy, and not teary, then a quick bounce back is likely. id assume he was sent for pix.
nobody hit nuthin, except the floor, nowhere. that reach in for the ball by the defender looks more like a tap to his lower arm than a karate chop.
get well soon, mr newton.

Reaction Score
Really concerned as he was making a big contribution to the team and we need everybody on board.

Reaction Score
I want to believe Hurley, but that looks like a classic hyperextension of a muscle.
I can’t imagine Hurley blatantly lying about an injury. If it were anything serious he would at worst have been vague

Reaction Score
I think if Hurley said he just got hit in the nads, then I will believe that an aspiring-pro athlete will be flexible enough to not pull his groin in that situation. It was just a Jimmy tap!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom