Newsome in good company... | The Boneyard

Newsome in good company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You watch Newsome on those screens and it makes you think that he should get some carries. Maybe in the first quarter. Maybe.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You watch Newsome on those screens and it makes you think that he should get some carries. Maybe in the first quarter. Maybe.
The backup is always better -
And thankfully Boyle was in to make that NFL throw to him -
Or maybe he is better in space than between tackles - oh and he did display a fumbling issue when running the ball but he should get more carries between the tackles - you win. Too funny

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes he did fumble a couple times, but sometimes you have to consider the risk/reward.

The blocking on kick offs have been horrendous.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Yes he did fumble a couple times, but sometimes you have to consider the risk/reward.

The blocking on kick offs have been horrendous.
So you are talking about the ability to score points and win vs turning over the ball - hmmm. Interesting concept since the risk reward for others is ignored.

Reaction Score
Ariel needs to earn his way back into the lineup after his fumbles. But there is no denying he is a great talent. Line him up in the slot with Johnson at tailback. Run him in motion and give him the ball. Will give the defenses something to think about. Makes too much sense.

Reaction Score
The backup is always better -
And thankfully Boyle was in to make that NFL throw to him -
Or maybe he is better in space than between tackles - oh and he did display a fumbling issue when running the ball but he should get more carries between the tackles - you win. Too funny
Once again you leap the wrong conclusion. It's your gift.

You think no carries is the right number of Newsome?

Reaction Score
Newsome should be getting 8-10 touches a game at this point. And open up the competition again this spring.

Reaction Score
Ariel...

temp5.jpg

;):p

Reaction Score
A year of S&C and we could really have something in Johnson and Newsome. Let's hope.

To my eye Newsome has looked just a fraction of a second hesitant from scrimmage. More lack of experience than lack of quickness and speed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Newsome should be getting 8-10 touches a game at this point. And open up the competition again this spring.

If Newsome isn't from CT should he be getting that same number of carries? I think he's an electric player who will do great things for this program, but Johnson has definitely been more consistent this year.

Reaction Score
If Newsome isn't from CT should he be getting that same number of carries? I think he's an electric player who will do great things for this program, but Johnson has definitely been more consistent this year.
more consistent? yes, same ability to hit a home run? No. Have incorporate both of their talents into your game plan, get them both on the field at the same time sometimes. Everything doesn't have to be so damn cookie cutter all the damn time.

Reaction Score

8-10 carries is not a lot. Johnson can still get 20 a game.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I agree. But he has to understand he can't put the ball on the ground.

He will run for 1000+ next year.

Reaction Score
more consistent? yes, same ability to hit a home run? No. Have incorporate both of their talents into your game plan, get them both on the field at the same time sometimes. Everything doesn't have to be so damn cookie cutter all the damn time.

Our offense coaches are like "Wat" two running threats in the game at the same time? Nope only FB/RB so the the D knows exactly who is getting the ball.

Reaction Score
I was happiest with our offense when we featured both Dixon and Todman and also had Easly in the passing game. Probably the only time post Orlovsky that we weren't one dimensional.

Reaction Score
Our coaches are way too freaked out about turn overs.

Payton Manning throws INTs, Jim Brown fumbled. Take it stride. Make up for the mistake. Most important, do not play scared. Do not play not-to-lose.

Our coaches are way to freaked about turnovers? How about every coach is. You cannot fumble the football. You cannot fumble the football twice in a game. You earn your way back.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes any player who fumbles the ball twice should be shunted off to Garbage Island.

Winston threw 4 INT's yesterday, I wonder why they threw another pass after the second.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Yes any player who fumbles the ball twice should be shunted off to Garbage Island.

Winston threw 4 INT's yesterday, I wonder why they threw another pass after the second.

Yep. Same situation. If fsu had a qb equal to Winston, then we can talk.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller8:14pm via TweetDeck
Ansonia's Arkeel Newsome became first#UConn true freshman with 1,000 all-purpose yards in season since Terry Caulley in 2002
One problem with this stat is that almost 700 yards of this is on kick off returns. He is currently 9th in the country in KO return attempts. I'd prefer that next year we had no one near the top of the country in KO return attempts. Punt return attempts would be good.

Reaction Score
Newsome has shown to be effective and can produce in the right situations.

Reaction Score
I agree. But he has to understand he can't put the ball on the ground.

He will run for 1000+ next year.

Not with Johnson not coughing it up. This team has struggled mightily due to turnovers. Stick with those that don't turn it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom