Newsome in good company... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Newsome in good company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Todman ran for under 300 yards as a frosh. Behind the best run blocking line in UConn history.

I think Newsome will be a better player.

I don't see his ceiling as being that high. His top end speed isn't as good as Todman's and he's not as big. Doesn't mean he won't be very good, but I don't think he'll break off as many big plays as Todman did.

But he's not McCombs, either. He's faster, has better balance and vision by a long shot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Todman ran for under 300 yards as a frosh. Behind the best run blocking line in UConn history.

If that comes true, drinks are on me at a game of your choice. But wasn't Todman injured as a frosh?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If that comes true, drinks are on me at a game of your choice. But wasn't Todman injured as a frosh?

And perhaps behind a good player on the depth chart?

I'd be thrilled if Newsome was Larry Taylor.

Not fair to Newsome but Todman averaged 6.3 yards a carry against 4.2.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
And perhaps behind a good player on the depth chart?

I'd be thrilled if Newsome was Larry Taylor.

Not fair to Newsome but Todman averaged 6.3 yards a carry against 4.2.

Completely not fair. Newsome would have run for way more per carry behind Todman's frosh line. Not even close. Not remotely close.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Completely not fair. Newsome would have run for way more per carry behind Todman's frosh line. Not even close. Not remotely close.

No idea how you can be so sure about that. Newsome would have run for 7+ yards a carry?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No idea how you can be so sure about that. Newsome would have run for 7+ yards a carry?

Way more than he did behind this year's line. I was comparing the lines, not Newsome & Todman.

I think you agree that the quality of line play was not even remotely even.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Way more than he did behind this year's line. I was comparing the lines, not Newsome & Todman.

I think you agree that the quality of line play was not even remotely even.

That's why I said it was unfair.

I thought you meant way more than Todman.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
That's why I said it was unfair.

I thought you meant way more than Todman.

Really? Really???

If its either the line wasn't remotely close or Newsome was so much better than Todaman, you came up with it being Todman.

Gotcha.

Maybe you don't really have a problem with Diaco's press conferences. Maybe you have a tough time understanding it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really? Really???

If its either the line wasn't remotely close or Newsome was so much better than Todaman, you came up with it being Todman.

Gotcha.

Maybe you don't really have a problem with Diaco's press conferences. Maybe you have a tough time understanding it.

I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding me.

I mentioned their yards per carry and said it's not fair to Newsome to compare - obviously because of the offensive lines. Pretty sure we agree on that.

You said Newsome would have had a lot more. It wasn't clear if you meant a lot more than Todman had or a lot more than Newsome had with this line. After you clarified you were comparing the lines and not the backs, I'm pretty sure we agree on that as well.

So I'm not totally sure why you snapped.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Brown, Todman, Caulley, Dixon, McCombs, Brockington, etc... are all good aspirational comparisons for AK and I hope he finds a spot in that list. For now, he's a few lines above Joe Williams.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding me.

I mentioned their yards per carry and said it's not fair to Newsome to compare - obviously because of the offensive lines. Pretty sure we agree on that.

You said Newsome would have had a lot more. It wasn't clear if you meant a lot more than Todman had or a lot more than Newsome had with this line. After you clarified you were comparing the lines and not the backs, I'm pretty sure we agree on that as well.

So I'm not totally sure why you snapped.

I didn't snap. I figured out why your tantrums are even less valid. Comprehension.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't snap. I figured out why your tantrums are even less valid. Comprehension.

Sure thing buddy. Go back and read your post and notice my reply had a question mark. That would be because your post could be read two ways and I was asking you to clarify.

But if you think you lack of clarity is a reflection on me that's your call. As for my 'tantrums', that's a good feature of San Diego. Plenty of sand to bury your head in.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Sure thing buddy. Go back and read your post and notice my reply had a question mark. That would be because your post could be read two ways and I was asking you to clarify.

So you were confused when I said much better, you thought I meant Newsome and not the line. Wow. Just wow.

Just to clarify, do you think the line this year and the year Brown went for over 2k are equivalent?

Reaction Score

I'm not seeing it. Newsome is nowhere near as quick. He also is a lot more of a hesitant runner. Johnson is the future star back on this team.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing it. Newsome is nowhere near as quick. He also is a lot more of a hesitant runner. Johnson is the future star back on this team.

You may be right but I think the line this year made him appear more hesitant.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

SD. I'm not sure how you don't see that this can be read two different ways.

1. Newsome would have run for more yards per carry behind Todman's line compared to what Newsome ran for behind the 2014 line.

or

2. Newsome would have run for more yards per carry than Todman did behind the 2008 line.

I believe you've clarified that you meant #1 and I haven't disagreed with you at all since you clarified.

#1 is obvious. #2 would be debatable since Todman ran for 6.3 yards per carry and it would be difficult to beat that by a margin that wouldn't be remotely close.

'Wow'? I didn't assume. I asked you which one you meant.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
SD. I'm not sure how you don't see that this can be read two different ways.

1. Newsome would have run for more yards per carry behind Todman's line compared to what Newsome ran for behind the 2014 line.

or

2. Newsome would have run for more yards per carry than Todman did behind the 2008 line.

I believe you've clarified that you meant #1 and I haven't disagreed with you at all since you clarified.

#1 is obvious. #2 would be debatable since Todman ran for 6.3 yards per carry and it would be difficult to beat that by a margin that wouldn't be remotely close.

Now you are thinking, its coming easier, isn't it?

Try doing the same thing next time Diaco has a quote in the paper.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well except I was thinking the whole time, while you were accusing me of a lack of comprehension you were the one who wasn't reading...

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Wow - I was wondering how the FAQ you were voted 2013 Boneyard Poster of the Year -
Then it hit me - it goes to the poster who can alienate the most amount of other posters - congrats! You are probably in the lead this year also!

Reaction Score
I think you're confusing "hesitant" and "patient". Newsome is a very patient runner. He good at allowing the hole develop, then getting north/south. The problem is, those holes haven't opened very much behind this O-line. He's had some of the teams longer runs from scrimmage. I think we need both, Newsome and Johnson, for this offense to be affective going forward. In addition to a QB and an O-line. There is no team in the country who uses just one back exclusively. There are enough opportunities in a game for both to be effective. I'd love to see formations with both on the field at times. Frankly, I'm really not sure why we haven't done it very much. Maybe it's part of the process?? It's pretty funny reading guys (who probably couldn't run a sub-5.0 forty on their best day) posting that a kid, who was clocked at 4.49, doesn't look as quick as they thought. Drinking tends to do that. He's certainly the fastest RB on the roster. We just haven't seen enough holding when he gets the ball.

Reaction Score
I think you're confusing "hesitant" and "patient". Newsome is a very patient runner. He good at allowing the hole develop, then getting north/south. The problem is, those holes haven't opened very much behind this O-line. He's had some of the teams longer runs from scrimmage. I think we need both, Newsome and Johnson, for this offense to be affective going forward. In addition to a QB and an O-line. There is no team in the country who uses just one back exclusively. There are enough opportunities in a game for both to be effective. I'd love to see formations with both on the field at times. Frankly, I'm really not sure why we haven't done it very much. Maybe it's part of the process?? It's pretty funny reading guys (who probably couldn't run a sub-5.0 forty on their best day) posting that a kid, who was clocked at 4.49, doesn't look as quick as they thought. Drinking tends to do that. He's certainly the fastest RB on the roster. We just haven't seen enough holding when he gets the ball.
While he is being "patient"the hole is closing up. I had high hopes for him based on his high school resume. It appears to me he is more McCombs than Todman.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think you're confusing "hesitant" and "patient". Newsome is a very patient runner.

Maybe so, but on kick returns? You see him exhibit his "patience" inside the 10 then tackled on the 20. I remember how our great returners in the past would start running full speed and worry about the path later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom