Newsome in good company... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newsome in good company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Newsome is more explosive, Johnson is more powerful. I want to see both of them running AND catching the ball all day long. Both those guys need to play a lot. Slant passes, short crossing routes etc. Mariner is pretty damn good too. Find a way to use them to punch teams in the mouth all game long at high speed. A QB that can run and a no huddle offense is perfect for us. Let's play exciting football and score some points.

Reaction Score
Not with Johnson not coughing it up. This team has struggled mightily due to turnovers. Stick with those that don't turn it over.
This team has struggled mightily with every phase of the game. Let's get some offense, take chances push the envelope. Play Newsome to get him comfortable. Stop making the usual excuses :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ansonia's Arkeel Newsome became first#UConn true freshman with 1,000 all-purpose yards in season since Terry Caulley in 2002

To me, this record would be more impressive if the majority of the yards came from plays other than kick-off returns run back short of the 25-yard line.

Reaction Score
To me, this record would be more impressive if the majority of the yards came from plays other than kick-off returns run back short of the 25-yard line.
Part of it is the extraordinary number of opportunities he has had to run back kicks. The defense also deserves a share of the glory.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Our coaches are way too freaked out about turn overs.

Payton Manning throws INTs, Jim Brown fumbled. Take it stride. Make up for the mistake. Most important, do not play scared. Do not play not-to-lose.
That's fine when you're a legit heavyweight team... but we're not quite at Jim Brown level as a program. Maybe teaching the young pups that turnovers are bad is a good idea for now.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
One problem with this stat is that almost 700 yards of this is on kick off returns. He is currently 9th in the country in KO return attempts. I'd prefer that next year we had no one near the top of the country in KO return attempts. Punt return attempts would be good.

He is currently 9th in the country in KO return attempts.

And currently 82nd in the country in KO average yards and 20th in overall yards on KO.
The bad part about this stat is that our defense is not that great and he got this many attempts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Newsome almost always catches kickoffs either moving backwards or leaning that way. He had one return against Cincinnati where he got behind the kick and caught it moving forward and he nearly broke it. The potential is there.

As for his future as a running back, I think he will be very good once he gets a little bit stronger, assuming that he can hold onto the ball.

I think Johnson is our best back by a pretty wide margin right now.

Reaction Score
So are TOs inexcusable or okay? You seem to have two different opinions on the same subject.

They are not ok.

If you are Peyton Manning, one of the best QB's of all time, you leave him out there and trust they he won't continue to turn it over, and he can make up for the turnovers, because he has a 15 year track record of doing so.

If you are a true freshman running back with decent but not great numbers you don't.

Reaction Score
They are not ok.

If you are Peyton Manning, one of the best QB's of all time, you leave him out there and trust they he won't continue to turn it over, and he can make up for the turnovers, because he has a 15 year track record of doing so.

If you are a true freshman running back with decent but not great numbers you don't.

How many TOs do college teams average per game? And if they are not okay, how is this possible?

Reaction Score
If you gave up a TO per game, you would be in the top ten. The worst gave it away slightly more than 3 times a game. It's freaking impossible to have zero TOs. They are going to happen.

All teams and virtually all player commit TOs, the critical number is TO margin. Our problem is we give the ball away a lot and take it away a little.

Reaction Score
So as the narrative builds... how many fumbles has Newsome had for all his touches this year?

I remember 3 (1 in BSU game and 2 in the Tulane game - one he got blown up in backfield and another stripped as fighting for extra yards and should have just gone down).

Maybe 3 too many in some folk's mind but the kid is not a fumble machine.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
So as the narrative builds... how many fumbles has Newsome had for all his touches this year?

I remember 3 (1 in BSU game and 2 in the Tulane game - one he got blown up in backfield and another stripped as fighting for extra yards and should have just gone down).

Maybe 3 too many in some folk's mind but the kid is not a fumble machine.

I am not saying he is a fumble machine however he has fumbled 3 out of 45 carrries - that is a high avg.
It is hard to find individual fumble stats but R. Johnson has 91 carries - I am not sure if he has any, so that makes him better at NOT fumbling.

UConn has 12 fumbels lost in 11 games - so does Alabama and Georgia Tech

Reaction Score
I am not saying he is a fumble machine however he has fumbled 3 out of 45 carrries - that is a high avg.
It is hard to find individual fumble stats but R. Johnson has 91 carries - I am not sure if he has any, so that makes him better at NOT fumbling.

UConn has 12 fumbels lost in 11 games - so does Alabama and Georgia Tech

You're not including his KO returns in the 3 out 45 or his reception touches.

Agreed Johnson has none lost - but the narrative that seems to being built (and not just in this specific thread) is that Newsome can't hold onto the ball and that's not true.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all you can't judge by lost fumbles - fumble recoveries have pretty much proven to be random. You'd have to judge by fumbles.

Secondly, i'm pretty sure Newsome understands it bad to fumble.

If the theme of the season is development - I'm not sure what one gets out of a benching over turning the ball over.

Turnovers are bad. Do you know what's worse? Being so scared to turn the ball over you can't score.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
So are TOs inexcusable or okay? You seem to have two different opinions on the same subject.

I don't have two opinions on it.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You're not including his KO returns in the 3 out 45 or his reception touches.

Agreed Johnson has none lost - but the narrative that seems to being built (and not just in this specific thread) is that Newsome can't hold onto the ball and that's not true.

Agreed - I was basing it off carriers as I had stated, and where he had fumbled.
He can hold onto the ball mostly - not just as well as others.

I dont agree with the lack of carries since - however I do agree its important to hold onto the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't think the fumbles have anything to do with the lack of carries recently. If that were the case he wouldn't be returning KO's either. IMHO, I think it's one of two things (because I believe HCBD really likes Newsome's skill set), either Newsome is nursing an injury and is playing through it or Newsome's grades are good enough to play, but not where HCBD would like them to be. I'm leaning toward the later. I read an article where HCBD stated that some of the freshmen were adjusting to the balance between college athletics and academics, better then others. He pointed to Johnson as one who was adjusting quite well. Newsome wasn't singled out, but he was mentioned in the same article. If that's the case, it's possible HCBD is sending Newsome a message....get your academics where "I" want them or you'll see the field less. Just my thoughts on the subject, nothing factual.

As much as I like Johnson, he's not a homerun hitter. Newsome can be. I like the future of the position with two guys who can rush for 1000 yards in 2015 (if the OL vastly improves).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And Newsome will be a great back

I'm not so sure, I'm not seeing what some of you are. I thought Newsome would be faster. He doesn't seem to be Todman or Frey fast to me. His KO returns don't impress. He looks to be just another guy.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure, I'm not seeing what some of you are. I thought Newsome would be faster. He doesn't seem to be Todman or Frey fast to me. His KO returns don't impress. He looks to be just another guy.

He lead the team in average yard per carry and average yard per reception.

He has shown an ability to break off long plays. He will be special.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
A meandering thread.

1. I agree Newsome will be good but Caulley in 10 games as a freshman had 220 carries/ 1247 yds/15tds 25 receptions/245 yds/1 TD. Are we seriously suggesting Newsome is in this company?
2. Turnovers happen yes but: a) when they happen with amazing predictability on your first possession of every game you're in trouble. b) A team that's capable of running real offense can absorb turnovers better than one that is not.
3. On being afraid of turnovers -- I still think: a) we weren't playing to win, at least on offense; and b) we weren't even playing not to lose on offense; and c) we've mostly been playing to keep the final score from being too out of hand with a strong implication that we're not particularly interested in wins and losses this year.

Reaction Score
A meandering thread.

1. I agree Newsome will be good but Caulley in 10 games as a freshman had 220 carries/ 1247 yds/15tds 25 receptions/245 yds/1 TD. Are we seriously suggesting Newsome is in this company?.

It's a large company ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has shown an ability to break off long plays. He will be special.

I hope you are right and you can give me a toldja in the future. He looks more McCombes than Todman IMO.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I hope you are right and you can give me a toldja in the future. He looks more McCombes than Todman IMO.

Todman ran for under 300 yards as a frosh. Behind the best run blocking line in UConn history.

I think Newsome will be a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom