Newsome in good company... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Newsome in good company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Maybe so, but on kick returns? You see him exhibit his "patience" inside the 10 then tackled on the 20. I remember how our great returners in the past would start running full speed and worry about the path later.

I like Newsome alot as a runner, but he needs to realize he isn't facing nvl kick coverage units now. You can't be patient initially on returns. Accelerate, accelerate, accelerate. Get past the first wave, then you can be patient.

His vision in the open field is special. I really believe that.

Reaction Score
I like Newsome alot as a runner, but he needs to realize he isn't facing nvl kick coverage units now. You can't be patient initially on returns. Accelerate, accelerate, accelerate. Get past the first wave, then you can be patient.

His vision in the open field is special. I really believe that.
True, but our blocking on KR and PR is putrid.

Reaction Score
.....and to be honest, he wasn't a threat as a KR in high school. He had very few returned for TDs in his elustrious career.

Reaction Score
While he is being "patient"the hole is closing up. I had high hopes for him based on his high school resume. It appears to me he is more McCombs than Todman.
Behind this O-line, I totally agree.

Reaction Score
None of this matters if he can't hold onto the ball. Based on this year, it's a problem he has to fix.
Exactly. Don't say that to some, it's a problem all programs deal with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Newsome certainly impacted the game, he was just determined to fumble the opening KO. I think Marriner is better than he is.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Johnson is running just fine behind this line.

Reaction Score
Johnson is running just fine behind this line.
Mainly because he's getting the majority of the carries (deservedly so). We have QBs who can't throw a ball to the ocean from the shore (or a potential NFL WR in G. Davis). Our best offense plays have been out of the wildcat and On half back screens. But, Johnson stepped up and took hold of being the lead back. It only took him until the last game of the year, against a once winless SMU team, to rush for 100+ yards. So, I guess you're right he has. That's something to be proud of.

Reaction Score
kris1 said:
Mainly because he's getting the majority of the carries (deservedly so). We have QBs who can't throw a ball to the ocean from the shore (or a potential NFL WR in G. Davis). Our best offense plays have been out of the wildcat and On half back screens. But, Johnson stepped up and took hold of being the lead back. It only took him until the last game of the year, against a once winless SMU team, to rush for 100+ yards. So, I guess you're right he has. That's something to be proud of.

Johnson has run well all season. Newsome hurt himself with fumbles and an inability to pass block. Looking foward to the competition next season. Both should see significant carries.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Newsome certainly impacted the game, he was just determined to fumble the opening KO. I think Marriner is better than he is.

Not sure why Marriner was tossed to the side by Coach Diaco. I think he can be a solid all around back.

Reaction Score
Johnson has run well all season. Newsome hurt himself with fumbles and an inability to pass block. Looking foward to the competition next season. Both should see significant carries.
Without question he has hurt himself and he has to correct it or he should never see the field. It is fixable. Many greats have had problems with it (Tiki Barber comes to mind). We have bigger problems with pass protection then Newsome.

As for Marriner, he can't make people miss in the open field and he doesn't have the burst, the two freshman have. Especially, when there are no holes to run through.

Reaction Score
Without question he has hurt himself and he has to correct it or he should never see the field. It is fixable. Many greats have had problems with it (Tiki Barber comes to mind). We have bigger problems with pass protection then Newsome.

As for Marriner, he can't make people miss in the open field and he doesn't have the burst, the two freshman have. Especially, when there are no holes to run through.
I'd rather a secure ball carrier in the open field than a fumbling commodity in the any field.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'd rather a secure ball carrier in the open field than a fumbling commodity in the any field.

But what if the fumbling commodity was the CT Gatorade POY? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Did Dario Highsmith dress for a UConn Game? He, after all, was the CT Gatorade POY last year, not Newsome. Good effort though. Next time, research it before you post. Just so know Zach Allen (New Canaan) received the honor this season. It'll be easier for you to find. You're welcome.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Did Dario Highsmith dress for a UConn Game? He, after all, was the CT Gatorade POY last year, not Newsome. Good effort though. Next time, research it before you post. Just so know Zach Allen (New Canaan) received the honor this season. It'll be easier for you to find. You're welcome.

Don't act like people here don't put on blue-colored glasses when evaluating CT natives, wiseguy.

Reaction Score
He's still a football player that can't hold onto the football regardless of where he played HS football, where he was born or what state he came from.

Reaction Score
Don't act like people here don't put on blue-colored glasses when evaluating CT natives, wiseguy.
Ask any head coach in the country about recruiting, they will all tell you...you build a fence around your state first. The natives are the ones who are going to have their fannies in the seats. Out-of-state families don't make up the majority of the fan base. We not a national draw.....YET.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

I am proud for him - whether he is from the Valley or Mars.

Right now, today, he is more reliable and productive than Boyle and Newsome combined.
I hope Arkeel proves me wrong.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Ask any head coach in the country about recruiting, they will all tell you...you build a fence around your state first. The natives are the ones who are going to have their fannies in the seats. Out-of-state families don't make up the majority of the fan base. We not a national draw.....YET.

Well a whole bunch of natives didnt show up Saturday but those out of staters with ties to seniors did.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

What are we fencing in, a bunch of conceited SOB coaches? There is some talent in this state, but it pales in comparison to everywhere else we recruit from.

Reaction Score

I agree. You need to identify your home turf.

have no issues with anything that Diaco has done as a program leader when it comes to recruiting, when it comes to individual player development, and identifying the profile of player he wants and what his recruiting plan is, and where we intend to, are, and will continue to recruit. It's not limited to CT.

He established relationships in state with every single high school program in the state and made it clear what kind of player he is looking for as the leader of this program. If there is a player that fits the profile, they will be recruited in state, and hopefully the kinds of issues about communication that showed up with Randy Edsall's program, will not be repeated. Not every player that a CT program produces will fit with the UCONN program, and not every player that the UCONN program may want from CT, will be interested in being recruited and come to UCONN. But people need to communicate as allowed within the rules.

(My personal feeling on that is that Edsall was so paranoid about rules, that he simply to chose to ignore everybody). Pasqualoni, well, he knew everybody already and everybody knew him. (Still wonder what could have happened if we had anybody with the wisdom to tell the old coot, that Deleone was not invited.) Water under the bridge.

Now - none of that, finding players, and what he's doing with the program to develop them on campus once they're in the program, is a problem for UCONN.

You want to talk about game planning and game time? Now we got some question marks that I can write volumes on. Nothing to do but hope that this year really was a prolonged scrimmage, and that next year we do actually start playing real, game time, football.

Reaction Score
Diaco has stated and IMO we have seen CT isn't just Uconn's home turf. Year after year we see recruits from CT,NY,MD, PA to name a few. Some good talent to be found in those states. Some you hit on some you miss on. That's football recruiting for you. Have we ever seen 21 commits before Christmas before? A bunch came rolling in much earlier than expected. These kids are on board. They are Diaco's kids. The 15 or 16 from the 2014 class as well. Patience. I am not happy with the current state of the football program either. But I believe things are turning around. If you can get a team playing for and believing in a coach you have a better chance than a more talented team playing for themselves. This is what Diaco seems to echo. Don't jump down the mans throat. We haven't been in this position before as Uconn fan's. This is new ground for all of us. Change is never easy. Chang takes time. Let it run its course and see what happens. I will remain loyal to my huskies no matter what and no matter where I am. I am sick of the negativity and hate from some people. If you're that upset, just don't bother AT ALL. Leave go now. Please. But spare us loyal and believing folks the annoying negative drivel.

I am an East Coast diehard Raider fan. I have been through this for the past 12 years. I know losing and I know shameful football when I see it. Be patient, have faith, and believe things will be better in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom