New Uni's next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Uni's next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is a general Question - Why the heck are some of you guys so hung up on keeping the C? It's boring and screams tradition, and we we have NO D1 tradition. You are basically saying you want us to fake being something that we are not.

We, of all programs, should be the ones running out there with the crazy a** uniforms, assuming they are of the Oregon variety and not the Maryland variety (They look like someone threw up a McDonald's logo). We are brand new to D1, we have no design that people identify with. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF CT identifies UConn with the block C. There is no brand equity built up. One could actually debate we have negative equity due to the bad press we got from the Fiesta Bowl.

Putting the pieces together with various comments on this board and the comments from Lagow, the uniform change is part of a larger re-branding that the University is doing, including updating the Husky and all Logos. The logos, whatever ones are chosen, will be used across ALL sports, with the exception of the Baseball team keeping the old English C. It is quite possible that the Block C gets thrown out all together, or that the block C gets used for everything. This has been in the works for 4 or 5+ years, so they have done their due diligence and gathered market data on the various logos and what resonates (I know I personally took at least 1 survey via Email). THIS IS GREAT NEWS. It is another step towards catching up with the big boys.

The change is coming, so hopefully it's tasteful and represents the university well. No point in fighting it.

Great post.

I don't necessarily think the block C looks bad, but it's bland and doesn't mean anything except to UConn Football fans.

There was/is a ton of brand recognition in "UConn" and the Husky Dog logo, which makes it extremely puzzling that when transitioning to FBS we went with "Connecticut" and an indiscernible Block C.

I gather that a new logo is coming out and I hope we continue with a Husky Dog and make that our only logo. Switching everything to a generic block C just has zero national recognition and that's the last thing we need with this whole conference BS going on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Michigan State just unveiled a new chrome helmet

http://totheathletes.lockerdome.com/media/105324281

f542004bfdf3544db6fc763ee94d8cd7_large

I'd go for these with National Flag Blue with a chrome Husky on the side.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Goodness, can we see what they look like before trying to set them on fire?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
new unis?
before u comment u mist answer the following
how old are u?
do u understand the perception of unis?
if your answers to these questions are a combo over over 30 and no, then stfu.

Reaction Score
Repeat after me: WHITE HELMETS SUCK! I hated UConn's white helmets of the 70's (exclude Bob Casciola's 1 year in Royal Blue helmets) & 80's. Was very happy when Skippy changed the helmet color to National Flag Blue.
White helmets are boring. Anyone remember the first few years post the AFL-NFL merger when all 5 teams in the AFC EAST sported white helmets?(Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, & Colts). White helmets show a lack of creativity or individualism. Absolutely despise them.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind white (with Blue Block C) as an alternate/special occasion look. Florida has a white variation of it's orange helmets and that's a nice look. But overall lets not go boring like Penn State.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I won't lie - maybe it's my hockey roots, but I've had uniform envy for the new Northwestern unis and their "Habs Stripes" (and I HATE THE CANADIENS).

Something like this in national flag blue:
northwestern-uniform.jpg

...combined with these helmets, or something close:
6849814715_fce82e2c34_z.jpg

Done.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am glad that we are updating the unis but I'd almost prefer that we wait a year to bring them out as part of a new coaching regime. Almost.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
new unis?
before u comment u mist answer the following
how old are u?
do u understand the perception of unis?
if your answers to these questions are a combo over over 30 and no, then stfu.

Although you so politely told me to be quiet...I do have another comment.

This middle aged white guy likes change and loves the Oregon uniforms. Heck..I even liked Maryland's uniforms. They were so ugly they looked good. I just don't like the current Husky dog. I would love to see different color combinations...black uniforms...etc. I know it resonates with recruits/team...and I think it makes a bland football brand a little more interesting.

All I ask is don't make the puppy dog the focus.

Sorry for speaking hfd...I will get on my scooter and move along now...

Reaction Score
Although you so politely told me to be quiet...I do have another comment.

This middle aged white guy likes change and loves the Oregon uniforms. Heck..I even liked Maryland's uniforms. They were so ugly they looked good. I just don't like the current Husky dog. I would love to see different color combinations...black uniforms...etc. I know it resonates with recruits/team...and I think it makes a bland football brand a little more interesting.

All I ask is don't make the puppy dog the focus.

Sorry for speaking hfd...I will get on my scooter and move along now...
Dan Ill bet you have a draw full of those checkered shorts. Don't tell us about style. We knew to let that pass by

We need a new meaner husky dog to start period. Not the one that looks like he is begging for a biscuit. We need a hunter chaser dog

We should have a board for under thirty rich kids called romper room

I'm going to listen to my Dave Matthews albums now

Reaction Score
Let this old guy design one of the the uni's and see what we come up with. I'll bet it won't be a white flag:

-Alice-Cooper-alice-cooper-19076550-800-1200.jpg

Reaction Score
I think that helmet with that husly above will make UConn's unis into a national laughing stock--if anyone ever actually sees them that is.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think that helmet with that husly above will make UConn's unis into a national laughing stock--if anyone ever actually sees them that is.

I used to think like you, but between oregon and maryland, i have lost the ability to think that ANY uniform will make anyone a national laughing stock...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A Mr. Freeze motif could look good as a one off, or it could look horrible.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Was very happy when Skippy changed the helmet color to National Flag Blue.
To CaliChic's eternal despair, Skippy skipped town before UConn and FCRE introduced the block C helmet. As much as some people may not like the block C's, IMHO they were a massive improvement over the Huskies' prior airline font or script UConn helmets.

I'm not so excited about the few-year chrome trend, but will happily trade chrome domes for several quality recruits. Something tells me Nike and IMG marketing combined with the UConn Board of Trustees' color/font standardisation effort may influence any new helmets and uniforms.

Maybe some of you would like an ode to ole times a la Western Michigan's new helmets with a player's # on one side and a bronco mascot on the other, or a return to UConn's 1965 split decision:

"The 1965 Connecticut helmet was one of the more unique designs in the history of the sport. Half of the shell was white and the other half navy blue, with the same logo on each side, but with the colors inverted. I believe that it was the left half of this helmet that was white and the right side blue, so the right side of the helmet would resemble the 1964 helmet shown here. This strange design was used for just one season."​

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dan Ill bet you have a draw full of those checkered shorts. Don't tell us about style. We knew to let that pass by

We need a new meaner husky dog to start period. Not the one that looks like he is begging for a biscuit. We need a hunter chaser dog

We should have a board for under thirty rich kids called romper room

I'm going to listen to my Dave Matthews albums now

I absolutely agree with this. Husky dogs are part wolf and can survive in the harshest of cold weather climates. A college mascot should embrace this, not play it down. The current cartoon drawing looks like Lassie.

As for the logo on the side of the helmet...I don't mind the Block C. I also didn't mind the interlocking "UC" from c. 2004 or the Div 1-AA helments from c. 1998. Although they look like the old Giants helmets, which I hated...

th

Reaction Score
I used to think like you, but between oregon and maryland, i have lost the ability to think that ANY uniform will make anyone a national laughing stock...

I think this is worse.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...Maybe some of you would like an ode to ole times a la Western Michigan's new helmets with a player's # on one side and a bronco mascot on the other...

THis is an Alabama thing and screams something that UConn is not. It's like Delaware using the Michigan Flying Wing design. I would just just assume go with plain metallic National Flag Blue helmets.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As much as I appreciate the conservative nature of our football jerseys and helmets, I am for anything that raises player pride, recruit quality nd number of annual wins.

Reaction Score
THis is an Alabama thing and screams something that UConn is not. It's like Delaware using the Michigan Flying Wing design. I would just just assume go with plain metallic National Flag Blue helmets.
Ah yes, the Princeton wing pattern an ex-Princeton coach brought to Michigan before one of Michigan players ended up coaching Delaware. Yup, that Michigan tradition started at Princeton. Or, the Bama #'d helmet tradition borrowed from which school? Or, Penn State's uniforms based on which school's longer gridiron traditions? ;)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
THis is an Alabama thing and screams something that UConn is not. It's like Delaware using the Michigan Flying Wing design.

You mean Michigan using the Princeton Flying Wing design?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ah yes, the Princeton wing pattern an ex-Princeton coach brought to Michigan before one of Michigan players ended up coaching Delaware. Yup, that Michigan tradition started at Princeton. Or, the Bama #'d helmet tradition borrowed from which school? Or, Penn State's uniforms based on which school's longer gridiron traditions? ;)

Which channel is Princeton commonly on? When you see the flying wing, do you think Princeton or Michigan? When you see the oblong G, Do you see think Bulldogs or Packers? How about numbers on the side of the helmet? 'Bama? T.C. Williams High School? Syracuse?

Who cares where the design originated in 1946? What matter is the current meaning. This is a message board and I'm give you my unsolicitated opinion, just like everyone else.

CL82

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with this. Husky dogs are part wolf and can survive in the harshest of cold weather climates. A college mascot should embrace this, not play it down. The current cartoon drawing looks like Lassie.

As for the logo on the side of the helmet...I don't mind the Block C. I also didn't mind the interlocking "UC" from c. 2004 or the Div 1-AA helments from c. 1998. Although they look like the old Giants helmets, which I hated...

th
First out of all our "old" helmets, I like this one the best. I wouldn't want it for our current one, though.

I like the husky dog helmet an an alternative one. I prefer the block C for the regular one. I guess we need to see the new logo before anyone decides whether it belongs on the helmet or not. I don't think that huskies are part wolf (at least out side of Jack London's White Fang) and, although I am glad that we are coming up with a "meaner" looking one, that's not really the breed.
Bred in Northeast Asia as a sled dog, the Siberian Husky is known for its amazing endurance and willingness to work. Its agreeable and outgoing temperament makes it a great all-around dog, suitable for anything from sledding to therapy work. Because it originated in cold climates, Siberians have a thicker coat then most other breeds of dog, made up of a dense cashmere-like undercoat and a longer, coarse top coat. All colors from black to pure white are allowed, and a variety of markings on the head is common.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You mean Michigan using the Princeton Flying Wing design?

No, I mean Delaware using Michigan. Princeton's flying wing Design is Orange and Black. IIRC, Delaware's is a slight shade off the Maize and Blue used by Michigan. The Ivys are no longer known for athletic prowess and more people associate the Flying Wing with Michigan than any other school.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

th
No. NO! Nononononononononono!

THE LAST thing we need is YET ANOTHER LOGO. Pick 1 or 2, and live with it.

Block C
Men's UC
Women's Basketball C
Baseball C
Husky Dog
Twig and Berries
Etc etc etc

Those 1998 helmets scream I-AA, appropriately.

CL82

Reaction Score
No. NO! Nononononononononono!

THE LAST thing we need is YET ANOTHER LOGO. Pick 1 or 2, and live with it.

Block C
Men's UC
Women's Basketball C
Baseball C
Husky Dog
Twig and Berries
Etc etc etc

Those 1998 helmets scream I-AA, appropriately.
Agree. I think that's what will be announced in the Spring. My guess the block C and the new 'meaner' Husky.
Dream01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits