New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New UConn Assistant Coach Morgan Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You guys do know Morgan Valley is somewhat responsible for the group of players that just knocked us out of the NCAA tournament right? Lol

But for the Hartford job she would have been on the Arizona bench for that game. Lol

Reaction Score
she had a record of 4-37 as a hc, stop taking credit away from Adia Barnes she and her husband built that team
as far as I know she wasn't hired for her head coaching skills...........the question is whether she can add something to the program as an assistant and recruiter .............apparently the head coach feels she can......

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No brainer. She was the only one who fit the job description.
Is she a placeholder for two years. Gives Geno time to find the correct person? She stays in a job for about two years (4 yrs. max) whether she needs to or not. I wonder if every job change was voluntary. Why leave a head coach's job for an assistant's job? Oh, a 4-37 record! Yep, that will do it. Geno is a charitable guy.

Valley is returning to her alma mater UConn as an assistant coach under Geno Auriemma, the school announced Wednesday. She returns to UConn after two seasons as the Hartford head coach."
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/a..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

HARTFORD WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
1619012028430.png

"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is being hired as a guards coach. If Kelsy Plum thought it was important enough to fly down to AZ just to work out with Morgan while she was a coach at Arizona to fine tune her game, I think our stars will be well served.

Reaction Score
The job listing for UConn AC is very detailed and clear. Apparently, most people agreed it was written for a specific person. Nobody has a bigger stake in this hire than the HC himself, Geno. Geno knows more about this hire than anybody. So stop the second guessing and get a life. Morgan Valley and her sister Ashley came from Vermont to UConn many years ago.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There are no shortages of posters on here reminding folks that a good AC does not mean a good HC, they are two different sets of responsibilities. Now some posters are saying that a person with a good track record of being an AC, part of the building process for two different programs reaching the FF for their first times, will not be a good AC here with similar responsibilities. I hope those aren’t the same posters.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
There seems to be a double standard, if not an absence of logic, at play here among the naysayers. Ms. Valley's unimpressive record as a head coach, for the naysayers, equates to a condemnation of her abilities an an AC. Ms. Elliot's unimpressive record as a head coach doesn't seem to have prevented her from doing a superb job as an AC. Why are different standards applied?

Welcome back, Ms.Valley!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It seems like several naysayers prepared a message last week stating, "___________ is a bad hire". Then they filled in the name of the candidate who got the job & posted it.?
And kind of get the sense that if you ask them why they would say “well, I wanted Sue Bird” or some other unrealistic candidate. Some people are never quite so happy is when they have something to complain about. But that is every fan forum on the Internet. The Boneyard is better than most.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can she relate to players as they adapt to playing for Geno? She’s been there and can give an insider‘s view. Don’t underestimate how valuable that is.

Reaction Score
For those harping on her record as a HC, it's not like she took over a power house program that's an easy place to win. They were trending downward when Jen left after a couple of good seasons and were never really that good before Jen was there. Also, the fact that they are downgrading from D1 to D3 may have been no secret to recruits and made it difficult to attract competitive talent. Her vast experience as AC makes her more than qualified for the job as....drum roll.....AC and she's familiar with the Uconn "culture" having played in their system for 4 seasons. I'm guessing the naysayers were looking for a "big name" that either had no experience in coaching (and it's being assumed that good player = good coach) or not looking to be someone's AC (i.e., either not interested in coaching or see AC as beneath what they're looking for).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom