New transfer thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

New transfer thread

Reaction Score
Big 12 Commish speaks on transfer policy. He thinks rule should be same for all sports: Sit out 1 year, no exceptions.

"You'd still have transfers, but you'd have transfers that are less purely for athletic reasons and I think it would be more difficult to transfer," Bowlsby said. "People would think hard about whether they wanted to transfer if they had to sit out a year. They would think about whether or not they were planning to graduate and, in doing so, get their year back. I think it would cause them to think more about their initial choice of schools at the outset. I think all those are good things."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They would think about whether or not they were planning to graduate and, in doing so, get their year back.

I do not follow this, dullard that I am. What is the correlation ?

Reaction Score
Not sure what he meant by that. My overall impression is he is a stodgy old administrator who would like the schools to have more control over their student athletes - specifically to limit transfers, as they are inconvenient for the schools’ athletic programs and coaches (“We’ll make ’em think twice before they do THAT!”)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not sure what he meant by that. My overall impression is he is a stodgy old administrator who would like the schools to have more control over their student athletes - specifically to limit transfers, as they are inconvenient for the schools’ athletic programs and coaches (“We’ll make ’em think twice before they do THAT!”)

I agree. Patriarchal preachy stodge.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think he is saying that transferring student athletes can do what Azura Stevens did, which is to leave for the professional ranks as soon as they graduate from their new school. They "get their year back" in the sense that they spend only four years in college despite their transfer, although they pass up one year of athletic eligibility. If they are good enough to go pro after just three years of college competition, they probably don't care about that. But the college that takes them as an incoming transfer may feel shortchanged.

I think his argument intentionally implies that receiving schools will have to take this possibility into account, which may make them less inclined to take transfers. Since he doesn't like transfers, he views that as a good thing. -- an advantage of requiring the sit-out year.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dwight Howard in Waco. So that can only mean Cooper will be playing for the Lady Bears.
If I were a Baylor fan, with all the talent on the Lady Bears next season, I would be extremely wary of adding Cooper to my roster. She certainly has skill, but I’m not sure she is a net + or - for any team she plays on.

Reaction Score
If I were a Baylor fan, with all the talent on the Lady Bears next season, I would be extremely wary of adding Cooper to my roster. She certainly has skill, but I’m not sure she is a net + or - for any team she plays on.

Well it's not my team, but we do need a PG and have 12 on the roster is better than 11 incase of injuries.

Reaction Score
Curious what this means for Scott Grayson with the possible addition. I expect to see a lot more of DeCosta next year. In limited time I saw her last year I was impressed with her, just got to tighten up the defense (which is normal among freshmen players).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Poor Ms. Cooper, little girl lost. Fated to never find happiness no matter where she is. At least she's not a team obliterator, just an itinerant.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dear @oldude you should be doing everything in your power to ensure that Baylor signs T'ea Cooper. Personally I want her in the lineup when Baylor comes to UCONN and I would also like UCONN chances should the two teams meet in the NCAA tournament and she's in the lineup.

Reaction Score
Dear @oldude you should be doing everything in your power to ensure that Baylor signs T'ea Cooper. Personally I want her in the lineup when Baylor comes to UCONN and I would also like UCONN chances should the two teams meet in the NCAA tournament and she's in the lineup.

I like Baylor's chances with or without Cooper.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sure thing Coco. I’ll just text Kim telling her Cooper would be a great addition for the Lady Bears, both on the court as well as in the locker room. I’m sure once Kim hears from me it’ll be a done deal.....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
When in Waco, stop at Capt. Billy Wizzbang's for a WizzPigg burger (1/2 beef, 1/2 bacon). They also have a 4 x 4 (4 beef patties).

Reaction Score
I will say this, if she does officially end up at Baylor (all signs point to that), I am sure Kim is going to have a tight leash on this one. If she can't behave accordingly or contribute to what the coaches are asking her to do, her stay at Baylor won't be a pleasant one. I highly doubt Kim would put up with the BS with the large group of young talent on that bench. She won't jeopardize the rest of the team in benefit of one invdivual. Either she will get in line or she will be in the doghouse her final year of eligibility.

With or without Cooper Baylor will be very good next year. Baylor doesn't need Cooper in all honesty. I would be just as confident with some of the youngsters that they return. She is a talented kid but IMO will not be near the impact that Jackson had.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think Cooper will be just fine at Baylor. The concern with her shouldn't be on the court.. it should be the locker room. She brings a lot of outside attention to a team.

As far as her game, Cooper needs a lot of shots and the ball in her hands to be at her most effective. Baylor has to be careful to not let the game become the Cooper show, especially if she's the starting pg and she's bringing the ball up the court. Cooper had the ball in her hands a lot at SC, but she wasn't the starting pg.. so her impact was felt, but it never became the Cooper show unless SC was getting nothing from anybody else and it had to become her game. Baylor won't have the problem.. Lauren Cox, NaLyssa Smith, etc.. Cooper just needs to become better at playing with a talented team and find her role on Baylor's team. She is VERY talented at her best, so the quicker she finds her role then the better Baylor will be.

I was pretty sad to see her go, but it didn't work for her at SC. I've only heard rumors as to why but if those rumors are true then I absolutely get it. Still, we could've used her this coming season and I'll be rooting for her at Baylor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Cooper will be just fine at Baylor. The concern with her shouldn't be on the court.. it should be the locker room. She brings a lot of outside attention to a team.

As far as her game, Cooper needs a lot of shots and the ball in her hands to be at her most effective. Baylor has to be careful to not let the game become the Cooper show, especially if she's the starting pg and she's bringing the ball up the court. Cooper had the ball in her hands a lot at SC, but she wasn't the starting pg.. so her impact was felt, but it never became the Cooper show unless SC was getting nothing from anybody else and it had to become her game. Baylor won't have the problem.. Lauren Cox, NaLyssa Smith, etc.. Cooper just needs to become better at playing with a talented team and find her role on Baylor's team. She is VERY talented at her best, so the quicker she finds her role then the better Baylor will be.

I was pretty sad to see her go, but it didn't work for her at SC. I've only heard rumors as to why but if those rumors are true then I absolutely get it. Still, we could've used her this coming season and I'll be rooting for her at Baylor.
As I read your post the expression “damning with faint praise” popped into my head. It sounds as if you’re hoping Cooper turns over a new leaf at Baylor despite her rocky past. To start, showing up for a recruiting visit with your boyfriend/fiancé is a little strange.

If Cooper is a problem in the locker room at Baylor, as she was at TN, and as rumored at SC, that’s a problem. If she needs the ball in her hands all the time to be effective, that too is a problem. Cooper was very good against UConn this past season, but inconsistent in several other games I watched.

The right addition (Chloe Jackson) could lift this Baylor team to another championship. The wrong person could derail the Lady Bears along the way.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Commish speaks on transfer policy. He thinks rule should be same for all sports: Sit out 1 year, no exceptions.

"You'd still have transfers, but you'd have transfers that are less purely for athletic reasons and I think it would be more difficult to transfer," Bowlsby said. "People would think hard about whether they wanted to transfer if they had to sit out a year. They would think about whether or not they were planning to graduate and, in doing so, get their year back. I think it would cause them to think more about their initial choice of schools at the outset. I think all those are good things."

or maybe they want that fifth year for a Master's. (That door swings both ways)

Reaction Score
As I read your post the expression “damning with faint praise” popped into my head. It sounds as if you’re hoping Cooper turns over a new leaf at Baylor despite her rocky past. To start, showing up for a recruiting visit with your boyfriend/fiancé is a little strange.

If Cooper is a problem in the locker room at Baylor, as she was at TN, and as rumored at SC, that’s a problem. If she needs the ball in her hands all the time to be effective, that too is a problem. Cooper was very good against UConn this past season, but inconsistent in several other games I watched.

The right addition (Chloe Jackson) could lift this Baylor team to another championship. The wrong person could derail the Lady Bears along the way.

or maybe they want that fifth year for a Master's. (That door swings both ways)

I read the attached link to @CajunHusky. The following paragraph caught my eyes (see below). I would be in favor of the second sentence (if it's true) and for all other sports. Let all "student-athletes in "all sports" allow immediate eligibility without penalty, provided they only transfer once.

This is where @oldude post with Cooper comes in. She would have to sit out the year on her second transfer. Easy rule, why not adopt it?

Football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey transfers must sit out one year unless they apply to the NCAA for and are granted a waiver for immediate eligibility. Meanwhile, student-athletes in all other sports are allowed immediate eligibility without penalty, provided they only transfer once.

Reaction Score
I read the attached link to @CajunHusky. The following paragraph caught my eyes (see below). I would be in favor of the second sentence (if it's true) and for all other sports. Let all "student-athletes in "all sports" allow immediate eligibility without penalty, provided they only transfer once.

This is where @oldude post with Cooper comes in. She would have to sit out the year on her second transfer. Easy rule, why not adopt it?

Football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey transfers must sit out one year unless they apply to the NCAA for and are granted a waiver for immediate eligibility. Meanwhile, student-athletes in all other sports are allowed immediate eligibility without penalty, provided they only transfer once.

Bowlsby doesn't address grad transfers specifically. That seems to be a unique and different situation from an undergraduate transfer. I agree with everything else he said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom