New transfer thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

New transfer thread

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Karisma Ortiz is transferring from Penn State to Texas. She will be a sophomore guard. No mention yet of whether she will apply for a waiver from the one year sitting.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Cierra Walker, who last year averaged 10.8 ppg at Vanderbilt and ranked 6th in the SEC at 39.2% 3FG, transfers to Gonzaga:

I watched Walker a few times last year and liked what I saw: nice mid- to long-range jumper and very much a presence with her team. However, when she went into the portal I kept coming back to the fact that she only had a year of eligibility and would probably have to sit out a year. And Vandy is an excellent academic school.

Now, I just read the press release and found I (for once) ascertained those elements correctly: she'll be with the Zags for only one season...in 2020-21. She must've really wanted to leave the Music City. Or Steph White's team. And/or get back to the left coast. This quote caught my eye:
"I chose Gonzaga because I loved the team culture that this program has, and I felt like I fit into the family atmosphere," Walker said. "I love the way the team competes and how they play with passion and they have the will to win. They have the pieces to compete with all teams, and I'm excited to be a part of it!"

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good addition to Brenda’s team. Assuming Collins is eligible next season, MD will easily be the class of the BIG10, and maybe make some noise in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Good addition to Brenda’s team. Assuming Collins is eligible next season, MD will easily be the class of the BIG10, and maybe make some noise in the tournament.

Let's have some controversy when Collins is eligible next season and Westbrook has to sit.

Reaction Score
Let's have some controversy when Collins is eligible next season and Westbrook has to sit.
Would be far more plausible if Collins was eligible and Westbrook wasn’t than vice versa because Collins is returning home.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know there are naysayers who believe that UConn will somehow get screwed, but the fact is the NCAA will have to grant both waiver requests or neither. They can’t split the baby here or it will result in a PR nightmare and a potential lawsuit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Would be far more plausible if Collins was eligible and Westbrook wasn’t than vice versa because Collins is returning home.
Returning home only is a factor for medical reasons, if a family member is ill. The NCAA will grant both waiver requests or they will grant neither.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise. As to the marketing of the Maryland Flag, I as a Maryland Tax payer am hoping the state has registered the flag as a trademark and is getting some revenue from it...

Reaction Score
I am excited to see what Maryland will look like next year with what they return, that monster recruiting class coming in and then a possible eligible Collins (if she gets the waiver).

They will have the pieces to do major damage.

Reaction Score
I know there are naysayers who believe that UConn will somehow get screwed, but the fact is the NCAA will have to grant both waiver requests or neither. They can’t split the baby here or it will result in a PR nightmare and a potential lawsuit.
I agree, and I think that should be a set in stone rule. Just among notable transfers with coaching changes, I think Dixon, Balogun, Westbrook, Ortiz, and Collins should either all be eligible, or none should be eligible. Of course there was the abuse allegations at Tech so perhaps those two have the better argument, but I still think it should be all four or none.

Even at Ole Miss last season, I don’t recall any waivers being approved. At this point, I would not be surprised either way with Westbrook.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not a surprise. As to the marketing of the Maryland Flag, I as a Maryland Tax payer am hoping the state has registered the flag as a trademark and is getting some revenue from it...

I know your tongue is firmly in place considering (and/or because of) how much money has been famously put into said athletic department. :rolleyes:

As you probably now, that flag has popped up on various Terp uniforms from the gridiron to being on the helmet of the guy's lax team.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Ah, yet another chance for the opaque palace in Indianapolis to either set it straight or...nah...keep 'em guessing.

Besides abrupt coaching changes, something that pops up in reference to successful petitions is the support of the institution's athletic department that the player is leaving. That seemed to be the case with Nebraska's Ath. Department with Natalie Romeo (to Washington) and Jessica Shepard (to ND), as well as Chartrice White from Illinois to Florida State. (As for Promise Taylor leaving Mississippi and going to MSU, did Ole Miss and/or the NCAA decide the inter-conference transfer violated some kind of line, amorphous as it may be?)

So, Tennessee certainly went through a coaching "event." Will the UT athletic department recommend whatever petitions come over their desk from Collins and Westbrook? Will the post-game comments be held against Evina? Or will that be put in perspective by reasonable adults and/or UT lawyers? Like Old Dude said, I think the smart thing to do for Phillip Fulmer's minions is to support any petition. Then, back to the opaque palace....:eek: Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
So, Tennessee certainly went through a coaching "event." Will the UT athletic department recommend whatever petitions come over their desk from Collins and Westbrook? Will the post-game comments be held against Evina? Or will that be put in perspective by reasonable adults and/or UT lawyers? Like Old Dude said, I think the smart thing to do for Phillip Fulmer's minions is to support any petition. Then, back to the opaque palace....:eek: Stay tuned.
But when did the TN athletic administration ever get accused of doing the smart thing? I suspect their answer to whether they approve Evina's waiver request will be, "Sorry/Not Sorry."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The entire process (wink wink) is confidential=no PR. There are also differences in the two players Westbrook is WNBA eligible and could be done with the NCAA in 2020. Collins will only be entering her sophomore year in the NCAA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The entire process (wink wink) is confidential=no PR. There are also differences in the two players Westbrook is WNBA eligible and could be done with the NCAA in 2020. Collins will only be entering her sophomore year in the NCAA.
The PR I am referring to would be the uproar that would develop should the NCAA grant one waiver request and not the other for each of the two TN transfers. Reporters would call them out on it and, if the waiver not granted was Evina’s, they would be dealing with one angry Italian who would be an absolute bear to deal with. Finally, Eva Westbrook doesn’t strike me as a shrinking violet. I think she would go after the NCAA with everything she has in support of her daughter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The PR I am referring to would be the uproar that would develop should the NCAA grant one waiver request and not the other for each of the two TN transfers. Reporters would call them out on it and, if the waiver not granted was Evina’s, they would be dealing with one angry Italian who would be an absolute bear to deal with. Finally, Eva Westbrook doesn’t strike me as a shrinking violet. I think she would go after the NCAA with everything she has in support of her daughter.

1) The NCAA has ruled differently for two players transferring from the same school before. Chatrice White and Brooke Kissinger both transferred from Illinois in 2016. White was made immediately eligible at FSU and Kissinger had to sit out a year at Creighton.

2) As angry as our little Italian guy can be, he cannot get more angry than the little Philly PG coaching South Carolina. Dawn was pretty angry when Cooper waiver was denied and advised the family to "lawyer up". She also accused ND of "lying" in the waiver application. Geno is not going to waste any energy on this. He will put the best case forward. If the decision goes against him he will suit up the players available and go win games. Geno might mix in a snide remark or two but that will be about it.

3) The NCAA does not publicly explain these decisions. The lack of explanation will make for more BY musings of unfairness, UCONN bias, ND favoritism, etc. An "uproar" will be kind of pointless though.

4) Eva Westbrook will follow Geno's lead. Failure to do so would make that angry Italian bear you describe her reality.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom