New transfer thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New transfer thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vic likes to take on projects. Morris out of Cochise JC in AZ is certainly that. At 6’6” if he can develop her into anything close to McGowan, she’ll be another load to deal with in the paint.
How many years will he have with her, 2 or 3?

Reaction Score
Isn’t MSST now out of scholarships? They have 9 returning players, plus signed a class of five. With the juco addition isn’t that 15? Aren’t they officially done?

An MSST fan posted they only had 2 scholarships for the 3 players. I think it was posted in the general board

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How many years will he have with her, 2 or 3?
That’s a very good question. Following Morris’s career path is challenging. It appears that she’s played at 3 different HS’s in CA, FL and somewhere else, and then at the AZ JC. It’s not clear if the JC stint was for 1 or 2 years.

She’s moved around the country with her mom, and just recently was able to get her SAT or ACT scores high enough to be eligible to play D1 ball. Academic issues may be part of the problem in determining how much eligibility she has. It also appears that at least one of the relocations has something to do with health problems her mother may be experiencing.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit confused............we used to have a UConn only transfer thread and a non UConn transfer thread..................there's also a merged transfer thread....................is this a new general transfer thread now?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm a bit confused..we used to have a UConn only transfer thread and a non UConn transfer thread...there's also a merged transfer thread.....is this a new general transfer thread now?
The merged thread was locked because two posters were bickering. The in-season transfer thread was moved to the general interest board

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That’s a very good question. Following Morris’s career path is challenging. It appears that she’s played at 3 different HS’s in CA, FL and somewhere else, and then at the AZ JC. It’s not clear if the JC stint was for 1 or 2 years.

She’s moved around the country with her mom, and just recently was able to get her SAT or ACT scores high enough to be eligible to play D1 ball. Academic issues may be part of the problem in determining how much eligibility she has. It also appears that at least one of the relocations has something to do with health problems her mother may be experiencing.
If Vic has only 2 years to develop her, compared to 4 years for T, the results may be less.

Reaction Score
Let me say this about transfers. You accept a transfer and lets just say shes comes for 2 years and sits out a year. That is an alert to HS recruits that she is ahead of you and if you wanna play you may not. So coaches better be really careful who they choose. Its very quiet on the UConn front about who's coming and who's not. I expect any transfer who comes to UConn or any other school expect alot of playtime and thats one of the reasons why theyre transferring. So the question is, is it worth the risk. If you can get a player who can play right away that may be different. In UConns case they need a player who can play right away and I continue to think Geno has something up his sleeve and we will not know for a while.

There are alot of people on this board with connections and a few with alot of connections. Those who post things like who are your sources dont understand that those with connections are not and can not release their connections from who for fear of loosing them. FWIW since the Tenn 37 page NCAA violation many have learned to be quiet about what they know and for good reason. Tenns intent was to ruin UConn and everything to do with UConn. Those behind the violation had an intent to destroy everybody and everything to do with UConn for Tenns and Pats benefit. For that reason many are quiet for fear of hurting programs.

So when you have a thread about transfers or recruits understand that alot of kids say alot of positive things about schools they are visiting but only a handful of people know what the girl really wants and those people are instructed to be quiet.

I will end on this note. Geno and his staff are constantly recruiting. They are filled with phone calls, text messages, and emails from everybody and anybody around the world telling them about the next great player. Some UConn coaches already know about and those they dont Im sure they look into. It takes a special player to play for UConn. They have to meet UConns requirements. Its not just get every player you can and throw them up against the wall and see which ones stick. In todays WCBB kids want to play and thats why kids are transferring now because they are not getting the playtime they expected and their expectations havent been met where they are now. Kids want to play and kids want to win and transferring is the main reason for leaving where they are. Stop worrying about who we dont get. We get those who want us and want to play for Geno. Those that dont play for other teams. You cant have everybody and everbody cant have what they want. Be patient and let Geno do his job. Im sure over the next few months we will be happy fans.

A lot to like and a bit that would have one hogtied in court. The bit about the Vol's intent --intent is the one of the hardest things to prove legally. When speaking about anyone or anything it's best to ignore intent and go for what you actually know.
All the words about Transferring I said albeit not so well stated. Geno and company (repeating my previous words almost) Geno et al are sifting each transfer, each recruit, and evaluating their good side and bad. How will they fit in or is their up side worth the downside. How will taking one transfer disrupt the next 2 years in recruiting? Again, I'd rather be me just commenting on all this than making the decisions Geno, Chris with the help of Shea and Jazmine--it's not rocket science--it's much harder at times.
All in all @Tonyc your words about Transfers was worth reading..
Your parting words: " I'm sure over the next few months we'll be happy fans. " I hope those are prophetic.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Cooks ends up at MS St. For the next three years the Bulldogs could have three 6’5” players on their roster: MS transfer Taylor, JC transfer Morris and freshman Carter. While it’s possible that Cooks could play the small forward spot, she’ll have to compete with Chloe Bibby who should have 3 years of eligibility coming back from injury. With all those Bigs, PT will be hard to come by in Starkville.
With 3 or 4 6'5's none need talent except catching and dunking. Coaching directions: On this end you hold your hand up and block all shots. On the other end throw the ball high and let one of the 3 under the basket catch and dunk. I'd be a great Bigs Team coach!! Pass, catch, dunk. With 3 point shooters: Roof 'em. As Big Rigg once said.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Cooks ends up at MS St. For the next three years the Bulldogs could have three 6’5” players on their roster: MS transfer Taylor, JC transfer Morris and freshman Carter. While it’s possible that Cooks could play the small forward spot, she’ll have to compete with Chloe Bibby who should have 3 years of eligibility coming back from injury. With all those Bigs, PT will be hard to come by in Starkville.
Yes, but Cooks may realize that she is the best option Vic will have at the 4.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but Cooks may realize that she is the best option Vic will have at the 4.
That may be true, but after 2 years of mostly coming off the bench at MI St, and likely redshirting for a 3rd year wherever she ends up, Cooks wants to go somewhere where she is reasonably certain she will start.

Taylor looks like MSU’s starter at center. Bibby is their best shooter and likely to start at either the 3 or 4 depending on how deep the Bulldogs go at guard. During Cooks redshirt year both Morris and Carter will develop. There is no guarantee that Cooks is a starter at MSU in 2020-21.

Reaction Score
That may be true, but after 2 years of mostly coming off the bench at MI St, and likely redshirting for a 3rd year wherever she ends up, Cooks wants to go somewhere where she is reasonably certain she will start.

Taylor looks like MSU’s starter at center. Bibby is their best shooter and likely to start at either the 3 or 4 depending on how deep the Bulldogs go at guard. During Cooks redshirt year both Morris and Carter will develop. There is no guarantee that Cooks is a starter at MSU in 2020-21.

They will also add 6’3 Jackson, who will probably be a stretch four.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Back on topic-

I know the NAIA is a far cry from D1, but there is some damn good basketball being played in Montana’s Frontier Conference schools.

Reaction Score
Any news on Evina Westbrook? Is she visiting other schools? Any indication on which way she is leaning?

Reaction Score
Any news on Evina Westbrook? Is she visiting other schools? Any indication on which way she is leaning?
Last we heard was potentially down to Oregon and UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Dre'una Edwards is taking her talents to Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Dre'una Edwards is taking her talents to Kentucky.

Between her, Howard, and Patterson from UT they should be pretty good in the upcoming years. Nice Job Mitchell.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is uconn in on any other transfers in the portal?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sidney Cooks' name has been mentioned here in the yard daily the last few weeks. Just who is Sidney Cooks? :rolleyes:

"The former McDonald’s All-American from Kenosha, Wis., announced on her Twitter account Friday afternoon plans to leave the Michigan State Spartans after two seasons. The 6-foot-4 Cooks just finished her sophomore year. She was a key performer off the bench and averaged 9.5 points and 4.5 rebounds while appearing in 30 games, which included eight starts. She shot 48.1 percent from the field and 40.7 percent from behind the 3-point arc this winter.

Cooks was a legit McDonald's All-American (St. Joseph Catholic Academy (Kenosha, Wisconsin), who also excelled with USA Basketball playing for Team USA in the 2016 FIBA 3x3 World Cup and starting for the U18 Team that won the 2016 FIBA U18 Americas Championship. She finished 2nd on the team in rebounding behind Lauren Cox and 4th in scoring behind Cox, Chennedy Carter, and Amber Ramirez.

During her recruitment period, she received in home visits from Minnesota, Penn State, UCLA, Florida, Marquette, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Purdue and Wisconsin. Parents are Sonya and Jimmie Cooks.

CAREER HIGHS:
Field Goals: 10, vs. Central Michigan (3-23-19)
Free Throws: 5, vs. Rhode Island (12/9/17)
3-Point Field Goals: 3, four times, last vs. Toledo (3/19/18)
Rebounds: 12, vs Notre Dame (3/25/19)
Assists: 3, four times, last vs. Northwestern (1/3/18)
Blocks: 4, vs. Indiana (3/1/18)
Steals: 2, two times, last vs. Rhode Island (12/9/17)
Minutes: 37, at Michigan (1/23/18)
Stats for her last 10 games [Link]

Cooks ended the year with a strong showing in the NCAA tournament. She scored 21 points on 10 of 14 shooting in an opening-round win over Central Michigan and followed with 17 points on 8-of-12 shooting in a season-ending loss to eventual national runner-up Notre Dame.

"After many thoughts, prayers, and of course talking to the people in my life that mean the most, I have decided that I will not be returning to Michigan State University," Cooks wrote. "I appreciate everyone who helped me throughout the journey. Thank you to the coaches and the MSU staff. I will forever be grateful for this opportunity. I'm going to miss my teammates who have become like sisters to me. I also want to thank the fans and little girls I've met always cheering me on."

"I think just showing what I can do and being consistent with it (was what I did)," Cooks told the Lansing State Journal just outside the locker room following the loss to Notre Dame."I came into here with a lot of things on my plate and then I got injured this year and it kind of slumped me down a little bit. But Sidney hasn't gone anywhere. It’s just a matter of me finishing and getting into a rhythm when I get in the game.
"Really, I just went into these (NCAA tournament) games with a clear mind to just go out there and hoop and have fun and it will all work out in the end, whether we win or lose. I’ll be proud of the things that I put in there."

We probably won't hear anything "official" coming out of the Cooks camp on potential landing spots until the present school year ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let me say this about transfers. You accept a transfer and lets just say shes comes for 2 years and sits out a year. That is an alert to HS recruits that she is ahead of you and if you wanna play you may not. So coaches better be really careful who they choose. Its very quiet on the UConn front about who's coming and who's not. I expect any transfer who comes to UConn or any other school expect alot of playtime and thats one of the reasons why theyre transferring. So the question is, is it worth the risk. If you can get a player who can play right away that may be different. In UConns case they need a player who can play right away and I continue to think Geno has something up his sleeve and we will not know for a while.

There are alot of people on this board with connections and a few with alot of connections. Those who post things like who are your sources dont understand that those with connections are not and can not release their connections from who for fear of loosing them. FWIW since the Tenn 37 page NCAA violation many have learned to be quiet about what they know and for good reason. Tenns intent was to ruin UConn and everything to do with UConn. Those behind the violation had an intent to destroy everybody and everything to do with UConn for Tenns and Pats benefit. For that reason many are quiet for fear of hurting programs.

So when you have a thread about transfers or recruits understand that alot of kids say alot of positive things about schools they are visiting but only a handful of people know what the girl really wants and those people are instructed to be quiet.

I will end on this note. Geno and his staff are constantly recruiting. They are filled with phone calls, text messages, and emails from everybody and anybody around the world telling them about the next great player. Some UConn coaches already know about and those they dont Im sure they look into. It takes a special player to play for UConn. They have to meet UConns requirements. Its not just get every player you can and throw them up against the wall and see which ones stick. In todays WCBB kids want to play and thats why kids are transferring now because they are not getting the playtime they expected and their expectations havent been met where they are now. Kids want to play and kids want to win and transferring is the main reason for leaving where they are. Stop worrying about who we dont get. We get those who want us and want to play for Geno. Those that dont play for other teams. You cant have everybody and everbody cant have what they want. Be patient and let Geno do his job. Im sure over the next few months we will be happy fans.

Great post Tony, thank you. A poignant piece to be sure. I nominate this post for "Post of the day". It's a post that stirs our consciousness about the recruiting game and keeps us in check. EVERYONE here in the yard should read this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom