New school commitments by Transfers | Page 24 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What do the opinions of other coaches and their careers have to doswerving commitment announcements? Even if a player commits to said school, why would you choose to critique the coach?
Another thread that had great intentions that just swerved in multiple directions.
I only look at this thread and the latest post(s) in hopes of seeing the latest announcement(s) and yet here we go again...
Complaining over...

Reaction Score
What do the opinions of other coaches and their careers have to doswerving commitment announcements? Even if a player commits to said school, why would you choose to critique the coach?
Another thread that had great intentions that just swerved in multiple directions.
I only look at this thread and the latest post(s) in hopes of seeing the latest announcement(s) and yet here we go again...
Complaining over...
1) When someone opines that Collen would be a great "free agent" coach due to their WNBA background, it's fair to point out it may not be accurate.

2) It does has something to do with Edwards commitment to Baylor from some people's view and I agree.

3) It hasn't gone that far off the track. It's not like I've started talking about food to get @triaddukefan going.

Reaction Score
1) When someone opines that Collen would be a great "free agent" coach due to their WNBA background, it's fair to point out it may not be accurate.

2) It does has something to do with Edwards commitment to Baylor from some people's view and I agree.

3) It hasn't gone that far off the track. It's not like I've started talking about food to get @triaddukefan going.
Speaking of @triaddukefan :

Banana Sammitches:
1. PeanuMayo?
2. Peanut Butter?
3. Both?

Reaction Score
Yes and no based on her coaching history. Her experience as a head coach in the WNBA is perplexing. She won Coach of the Year in 2018 with a 23-11 record. The following two seasons were records of 8 -26 in 2019 and 7-15 in 2020.

Last season she was coaching a team she pretty much inherited. This year we'll see how things play out now that she's building a roster based on what she wants to have.
I agree. I think Collen is a really good coach but I don't think her 3 years in the WNBA make her any more qualified than any other top tier coach at integrating portal players into an existing team or coaching 5 allstars/free agents etc. The big 3 philosophy has worked in the NBA but NC soccer coach Anson Dorrance gave an interesting interview years back on the difference in coaching men and women. For men, it's just about the game. You may not like each other off the field but if they perform, you get them the ball. Women are different, it they don't gel off the field , they don't gel on the field. I would imagine same is true in basketball. In any event, it will be interesting to see how all this portal stuff works out. I hope it creates more parity, not less.

Reaction Score
Not sure if World Exposure can be shut down based on their tweets. His tweets reference "sources", which I think gives him the latitude to put them out. It's all about driving business to his site and building a list of followers. Unfortunately a lot of people will take the bait because they don't know better. That's our reality nowadays.

What I find interesting is the handle the tweet (@worldexposureWB) came from is a locked account, which I don't believe it was previously. Why would you have to do this if you're the leader in WBB news? I don't see Raoul doing this, or anyone else who puts transfer information out there.

I've noted in the past that I believe the tweets are to help bring attention to their website which sells virtually all their information in some form. If you do a search on World Exposure, he now has twitter accounts for various sports (golf, softball, etc.). He's been working on expanding his brand and the services for several years. Initially the site was scant and provided a regurgitated list of prospects. Then you started to see "articles" about polls and rankings. Now you see multiple tabs on sports and "recruiting services".

For most of us on the BY, I don't see people investing in what he's hawking. My concern is that families looking to give their kids the best shot at getting recruited will spend money with him because they don't know better.
I agree with this. As I believe I stated in an earlier post, he would rather be first then worry about whether or not he is right. However I don’t think he is intentionally putting stuff out there based on minuscule information. Although I have on very, very rare occasions seen Raoul take down a tweet but most, if not all, of them have come with a disclaimer that the tweet was removed because he subsequently found out they information was not confirmed. I think he does a very good job on his Twitter and does it because he loves it. Obviously in my opinion he would rather be correct than overly concerned about being first.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nicki Collen would be a coach who could make this work. She dealt with free agent teams in the WNBA.
Except in college basketball you also have to “teach and coach” 2 aspects of her. Game I found highly suspect this year...

Hey @tigers4ever what evidence do you have from this year that leads you to believe Collen is a really good coach?

Reaction Score
I agree. I think Collen is a really good coach but I don't think her 3 years in the WNBA make her any more qualified than any other top tier coach at integrating portal players into an existing team or coaching 5 allstars/free agents etc. The big 3 philosophy has worked in the NBA but NC soccer coach Anson Dorrance gave an interesting interview years back on the difference in coaching men and women. For men, it's just about the game. You may not like each other off the field but if they perform, you get them the ball. Women are different, it they don't gel off the field , they don't gel on the field. I would imagine same is true in basketball. In any event, it will be interesting to see how all this portal stuff works out. I hope it creates more parity, not less.
Please take your sexist crap back to 1950 where it belongs.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Please take your sexist crap back to 1950 where it belongs.
There is some truth to Dorrance's coaching observations. I read his book many years ago, and will try to remember and paraphrase what he said, so apologies for any awkward phrasing. Something along the lines of women were less willing to compete in practice and beat the %^& out of each other, and his goal was to have every practice be super competitive without losing friends. When you walked off the pitch, you left the battles there.

From Wikipedia :

Dorrance's success comes from several interrelated attributes. First, he has an eye for recruiting outstanding talent.[6] Related to that is his emphasis on competitiveness. He noted early in his time as a women's coach that women seemed to have an inhibition against open competition. He decided to develop an atmosphere at UNC in which women were rewarded for having an aggressive desire to win. Finally, he noted from his work with both the men's and women's teams that women tended to play best in an atmosphere which focused on relationships. Dorrance was able to bring out his players' aggressiveness and competitiveness while also fostering an almost family sense of the team.[7] Regarding the aggressiveness, Santa Clara University women's soccer coach Jerry Smith noted in a 1998 Sports Illustrated article, "When you watch them, you can see the edge they have. I'll go beyond aggressiveness. It's meanness. Anson has found a way to bring that out of his players." Mia Hamm added in the same article, "I grew up always good at sports, but being a girl, I was never allowed to feel as good about it as guys were. My toughness wasn't celebrated. But then I got to the University of North Carolina, and it was O.K. to want to be the best."[8]

Reaction Score
I ain't trying to get blamed for derailing this thread. I will say that a pan grilled peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich is a great post workout snack/meal
south park blame canada GIF by Paramount Movies

I'll take this hit on this one ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

There's a handful of players that transferred out of Cal all around the same time, I swear they are never gonna use up all their eligibility. Collectively have played for about 10 different schools by now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom