New recruiting target for 2017: Lexi Gordon | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New recruiting target for 2017: Lexi Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lexi is about to start Playoffs.

she will be making her college decision right after team's run ends. . She is anxious to announce.

her game continues to Surge ! Gym rat work ethic.
she is a Terrific young lady ( quality Mind, Perspective ) with a great personality . She is very popular among other Elite players.
Welcome, Coach! We have a lot of pseudo-coaches and coach wannabes here. It's nice to have the real thing. ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well, Lexi should be able to make her decision soon because LD Bell was crushed in the opening round of the regional playoffs Tuesday.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's disappointing for Lexi. Come to UConn, where your team always goes deep into post-season play.

EVERYTIME I log on to the yard, I'm hoping to read that UConn has received a "Verbal" commitment from a "coveted recruit". This is encouraging news.

We've lost out on several high profile recruits to other programs the last couple of years. I think it's our turn now. I hoping Ms. Gordon won't keep us waiting much longer, and bless us with an announcement that she's coming to Storrs. :cool:

Reaction Score
I never understand why a top recruit would turn down and offer from arguably the best coach and team in the game. I guess I just assume all great athletes want to be pushed to their greatest potential. I think I remember DT saying she was good when she got to Storrs but great when she left.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I never understand why a top recruit would turn down and offer from arguably the best coach and team in the game. I guess I just assume all great athletes want to be pushed to their greatest potential. I think I remember DT saying she was good when she got to Storrs but great when she left.
As others like MilfordHusky and Coco will tell you better than I, players refuse to come to UCONN for a variety of reasons. Even if they list UCONN among their final choices. Some don't want to be pushed to their potential. Some want to do the same things they did in high school. Some want to be divas. Some fear the hard work. Some fear the scrutiny. Some fear the challenge of living up to those banners in the rafters. Some don't want to be far away from mommy and daddy. Some fear success. The reasons for not coming to UCONN are as numerous as there are names in an old fashioned telephone book.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think only 16 and 17 year old minds can address this question. Oh, and maybe the occasional superannuated jock dad of the 16-17 year old! :cool:

Reaction Score
Some want to be close to home (Wilson, Cox), some want guaranteed starting position or position (which UConn does not do), some are afraid to be challenged, some want the best education and go to schools who are famed for their education (such as Stanford), some think it's too cold in CT (Hornebucle), some want to play with their friend/s and those friend/s are going to a different school than UConn, some think that they can bring a school to glory (DD at NC :)), some think they can return a school to glory (DD at TN :)), for some their parent/s insist on them going to a different school (B. Hunter) and some just don't know what is best for them :) in short, there can be many different reason why a 16-17 years old kid will choose another school than UConn...

Reaction Score

Some players and parents also want and expect payment either in direct $$ or in scholarships for siblings who otherwise would not be offered or even parents who require being named assistant coach. This was the case with a couple of high level recruits/signees of Ohio State.
UConn doesn't get into this type of illegal stuff and this is one of the reasons why we lose on certain recruits. It is SAD but TRUE.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because:
1) Because there are over 300 more Division I programs out there.
2) UCONN requires a skill set that most do not have
3) College for most is about the education, not basketball
4) I want my family to be in the stands when I play so I staying as close to home as I can
5) My grades so far might get me into an Ivy league school, so if I get in that is where I'm going
6) I want to major in Fashion or (fill in the blank) and UCONN is just not that highly regarded in that major
7) I grew up a Tennessee fan & I don't mind orange so much
8) The line from The Blindside: That's where my family went so that where I'm going
9) UCONN is Just not for me, they go too hard all the time
10) Geno is going to yell at me
11) My AAU coach says UCONN is just not for me
12) Sadie transferred after 1 semester and she was a McDonalds AA
13) EDD went there and never made it to 1 single class
14) Seems like it is always snowing up there in Storrs
15) UCONN doesn't have people that look like me (Diversity Angle)
16) Mark Emmert used to work at UCONN and look what he's done to the NCAA
17) I'm just a regular kid and UCONN says regular kids need not apply.

Reaction Score
Ok, so all I get from all the comments is that it takes a special player/student to enroll and stay and play at Storrs. The other excuses for not attending once offered is all white noise.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok, so all I get from all the comments is that it takes a special player/student to enroll and stay and play at Storrs. The other excuses for not attending once offered is all white noise.
Exactly! And what you call "excuses" and "white noise" recruits, their families, and some very invested UCONN fans consider valid reasons why some offered recruits do not come to UCONN.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I never understand why a top recruit would turn down and offer from arguably the best coach and team in the game.

I kind of get it.

In comics, comic book creators can either work with DC and Marvel and create stories for iconic characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, or the Hulk. You do have to work within the editorial constraints and controls of the large companies (DC is owned by Warner Brothers and Marvel is owned by Disney). So, you get a ton of support and built-in readership and you get to build off of great characters. It's a great situation but you're working for someone else.

On the other hand, creators can go to smaller companies, like Dark Horse or Image. You have less support backing you but you have total control and you can create what you want and then own that work. So, while chances are you won't make a block-buster, you'll get to do your own thing. And, every now and then, someone makes something like The Walking Dead and knocks it out of the park.

So, some recruits want to write stories for Batman and some want to create stories for entirely new characters. I can see the value in each just like I can see the value to going to not-UConn.

I mean, aren't we glad that Rebecca Lobo saw the value in going to not-Stanford :)

Reaction Score
I kinda get it. I just believe "real" big time players love and strive on the big stage.

Reaction Score
I feel good on this one, seemed like she really enjoyed her visit to the north east.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I feel good on this one, seemed like she really enjoyed her visit to the north east.
Felt good about Cox and A"ja Wilson too. Both had great visits. I can say she'd (they'd) be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom