New recruiting target for 2017: Lexi Gordon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New recruiting target for 2017: Lexi Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting take from Jim Fuller, comparing Gordon to some other recent recruits who did not choose to attend UConn:

"There are recruits who love the idea of being recruited by UConn more than seriously considering going there. I would put [Lauren] Cox, A'ja Wilson and Erica McCall in that category. Gordon said that is not the case and she will seriously consider leaving Texas and head to UConn if she deems that to be the best fit for her."

LINK

Not that Fuller is implying this, but I certainly don't think Erica McCall was in any way leading UConn on just for bragging rights or to get a free trip to Storrs. The reason being, I don't think Geno pursued Oderah Chidom, who blew up and had surpassed Erica McCall (though injuries have inhibited her at Duke) before either had made commitments. Furthermore, I don't think Geno pursued Kendall Cooper (who was widely considered the top post in the class during her frosh-soph years, until the others caught up). Point being, for whatever reasons, it seemed Geno specifically wanted McCall over equal or even better post prospects. Many considered McCall a Stanford lean early on, so Geno must have been aware that the odds were not in his favor, but he still flew out to watch her. Honestly, the fact that Stanford was considered her leader could have been one of the reasons he was so interested (Stanford was UConn's main rival still).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lexi's Parents attended TCU and I suspect that's the only reason they are on her list of four schools. I would be surprised if she attended there as like many players she wants to win National Championships.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gordon, who is averaging 25.6 points, 9.7 rebounds and has 58 3-pointers in 24 games, got to meet all the UConn players, but it was Moriah Jefferson and Gabby Williams who she stayed with while on campus. She left with a scholarship offer.

“We had a lot of fun in their apartment being crazy,” Gordon said. “They are like me, crazy, they like to dance and they like to sing.”

So what would draw her to UConn if she were to choose the Huskies?

“I know that I will have to work harder than ever and Coach Auriemma would put me in the position where I want to be when I get older. I want to be a sports broadcaster and ESPN is right up the street so that is a good resource to have right around the corner. It was just a really good environment to be in.”

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20160125/SPORTS/160129712

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn is making a big push to reel in Ms. Gordon. Shea Ralph attended her game last night and watched Lexi score 27 points and grab 9 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Just a hunch and things can change, but unless something comes up and knocks her socks off....I think she will attend Uconn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just a hunch and things can change, but unless something comes up and knocks her socks off....I think she will attend Uconn.
I hope/think you are correct and than many good players will shortly follow her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I hope/think you are correct and than many good players will shortly follow her.

It has been reported that Gordon and Williams became close friends while playing USA basketball together. Next, they and their families traveled to UConn (unofficially) together. Every indication suggests a terrific visit (see photos and tweets), followed up with a side trip to NYC. Finally, Lexi announced that her list is down to four and she will announce her decision this spring, right after her hsbb season ends.

UConn has to like its chances with Lexi and it is not far-fetched to dream of a trifecta: Lexi (2017), Christyn Williams (2018) and even the young Gordon sis (2020?). There is also the hope, possibly remote, that other Texas blue-chippers night see the unparalleled benefits of education and basketball in Storrs, Connecticut. :)

Dream on. And why not? :)

Reaction Score
It has been reported that Gordon and Williams became close friends while playing USA basketball together. Next, they and their families traveled to UConn (unofficially) together. Every indication suggests a terrific visit (see photos and tweets), followed up with a side trip to NYC. Finally, Lexi announced that her list is down to four and she will announce her decision this spring, right after her hsbb season ends.

UConn has to like its chances with Lexi and it is not far-fetched to dream of a trifecta: Lexi (2017), Christyn Williams (2018) and even the young Gordon sis (2020?). There is also the hope, possibly remote, that other Texas blue-chippers night see the unparalleled benefits of education and basketball in Storrs, Connecticut. :)

KIB:

From your keyboard to GOD's ears.

Lets hope this comes to fruition. Would be great.

Reaction Score
Some kids just seem a UConn type of player (not afraid of challenge, willing to work hard, wanting a coach who will make them the best they can be, etc) and Lexi sure seems like one of those!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It has been reported that Gordon and Williams became close friends while playing USA basketball together. :)
I don't have the right tools right now to find the video-but I will later on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I don't have the right tools right now to find the video-but I will later on.

Found it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
hopefully they're sold on being extremely close to NYC

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Proximity of UCONN to NYC or Boston is nice but I'm hoping that a Lexi Gordon signing will create a pipeline to other Texas recruits-FINALLY!

Reaction Score
Proximity of UCONN to NYC or Boston is nice but I'm hoping that a Lexi Gordon signing will create a pipeline to other Texas recruits-FINALLY!

If signing Moriah (2nd ranked player in her class + winning NC) did not create a pipeline out of Texas the last 3 years, why would signing Lexi (30+ ranked player in her class) suddenly change this ?

Reaction Score
If signing Moriah (2nd ranked player in her class + winning NC) did not create a pipeline out of Texas the last 3 years, why would signing Lexi (30+ ranked player in her class) suddenly change this ?
LG might BE the pipeline

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
30th ranked and rising fast. There is no guarantee that signing Lexi will create this pipeline. I believe I said I was "hoping" it does.
My reasons for hoping:
  • The recruiting landscape has changed significantly and Moriah did not play AAU or HS basketball with any of the current Texas recruits like Lexi is currently doing.
  • There are just more good kids in Texas today. In Moriah class 2012 there were 2 top 25 Kids from Texas Moriah and Alexus Jones. In the HS class immediately following Moriah 2013 there were ZERO (NADA, ZILCH) top 25 kids from Texas and only 1 top 50 kid Imani Wright. 2014-18 the top of the board has been stacked by Texas kids like Turner, Holmes, Cox, Collier, Prince, Richards.
  • Lexi Gordon spent her family's money to visit UCONN & Charli Collier was reportedly planning on doing the same.
  • UCONN was in the running for Turner & Cox up until the end-allegedly
  • Many of these kids are choosing to stay in Texas but if one brave kid (a peer like Lexi) were to leave others may follow-I hope.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
30th ranked and rising fast. There is no guarantee that signing Lexi will create this pipeline. I believe I said I was "hoping" it does.
My reasons for hoping:
  • The recruiting landscape has changed significantly and Moriah did not play AAU or HS basketball with any of the current Texas recruits like Lexi is currently doing.
  • There are just more good kids in Texas today. In Moriah class 2012 there were 2 top 25 Kids from Texas Moriah and Alexus Jones. In the HS class immediately following Moriah 2013 there were ZERO (NADA, ZILCH) top 25 kids from Texas and only 1 top 50 kid Imani Wright. 2014-18 the top of the board has been stacked by Texas kids like Turner, Holmes, Cox, Collier, Prince, Richards.
  • Lexi Gordon spent her family's money to visit UCONN & Charli Collier was reportedly planning on doing the same.
  • UCONN was in the running for Turner & Cox up until the end-allegedly
  • Many of these kids are choosing to stay in Texas but if one brave kid (a peer like Lexi) were to leave others may follow-I hope.
As a newbie Boneyard poster I tend to read your posts because you seem to have a finger on the pulse of these things. To move the subject a little sideways, have your ears heard anything about any Euro recruits?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As a newbie Boneyard poster I tend to read your posts because you seem to have a finger on the pulse of these things. To move the subject a little sideways, have your ears heard anything about any Euro recruits?

My ears have heard nothing but I have been tracking mainly 5 post players in Europe.

Virág KISS Hungary 6’4” 2016 –Probably committed to playing club ball somewhere in Europe. Was part of the FIBA All tournament U17 Team summer of 2014 with KLS , Holmes, & Salvadores. Good size and skill set

Iho Lopez Spain 6’4” 2016- Played on the U17 Spanish team with Salvadores and is committed to Florida State next year

Julia Reisingerova 6’4”Czech Republic 2017 –Per ESPN ranked in the 40 and interested in playing college ball in USA. IMO best big in 17 & 18 besides Maria Vadeeva. I have been beating an uphill drum for someone at UCONN to at least take a look at this kid.

Raisa Musina 6’4”Russia 2016 Will likely stay committed to playing club ball for BC Sparta along with Maria Vadeeva. Supreme skill set for a big can pass, shoot 3 point range and runs like a deer. Not your typical euro she actually plays defense and plays it well.

Maria Vadeeva 6’4” Russia 2017 The Cream of the crop IMO and Mike Flynn's-who dubbed her the best FIBA youth player since Stewie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2_y8JAHJI&feature=player_detailpage

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My ears have heard nothing but I have been tracking mainly 5 post players in Europe.

Virág KISS Hungary 6’4” 2016 –Probably committed to playing club ball somewhere in Europe. Was part of the FIBA All tournament U17 Team summer of 2014 with KLS , Holmes, & Salvadores. Good size and skill set

Iho Lopez Spain 6’4” 2016- Played on the U17 Spanish team with Salvadores and is committed to Florida State next year

Julia Reisingerova 6’4”Czech Republic 2017 –Per ESPN ranked in the 40 and interested in playing college ball in USA. IMO best big in 17 & 18 besides Maria Vadeeva. I have been beating an uphill drum for someone at UCONN to at least take a look at this kid.

Raisa Musina 6’4”Russia 2016 Will likely stay committed to playing club ball for BC Sparta along with Maria Vadeeva. Supreme skill set for a big can pass, shoot 3 point range and runs like a deer. Not your typical euro she actually plays defense and plays it well.

Maria Vadeeva 6’4” Russia 2017 The Cream of the crop IMO and Mike Flynn's-who dubbed her the best FIBA youth player since Stewie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2_y8JAHJI&feature=player_detailpage

I'm aware of the players you've mentioned and Vadeeva sure fits the bill of a UCONN type player. Has she really committed herself to playing near home? Why such and uphill battle for a player such as Reisingerova?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
He's looking at several Texas targets: Collier, Price, Richards, and Gordon at a minimum.

Texas' favorite daughter Moriah Jefferson is proof positive that a kid from Texas can go to UConn, and become recognized as the best point guard in the country.
Let's hope that all of the other UConn targets in Texas look through that same prism, and come away with the same revelation that Mo did.
Permit a wild guess. The caption (big pic, in Geno's office) may read (L to R): Mom, Lexi, Geno, younger Sis, and Dad. Smaller pics of Geno, Lexi, Sis, and Stewie (w/Lexi -- let the height discussion begin!:rolleyes:).

The congratulatory messages and (heh heh) the UConn sweatshirt(s) suggest that Lexi got an offer and grabbed it! :)

I truly hope your prognostic juices are flowing freely and unencumbered today, and that you hit the middle of the bull's eye on this one.

Allow me to interject a personal preference here: We need a big...........period. I like Shayla Cooper from Ohio State. I was very impressed with her skill set when we played them. She's only 6'2, but plays much bigger.

I'd like to see us get a center cut from the same cloth as Cooper. I know it's pure sacrilege to foster illusions about players on other teams on ours.

But I "once" wondered how potent we'd be with Cooper in our starting line-up. She can defend the rim, She rebounds, she can handle the ball, she can run the floor, and she can shoot the midrange jumper. EVERYTHING you want in a post player. That's what I'm talking about. :cool:

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of foreign recruits, Laksa at USF is tied for 15th in the nation in terms of 3-point shooting at 44.1% (56-127). Europeans specialize in that shot. Maybe Geno will see some in Rio.

BTW, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough of Maryland leads the nation at an insane 60.6% on 71 attempts. Even KML would be happy with that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In terms of foreign recruits, Laksa at USF is tied for 15th in the nation in terms of 3-point shooting at 44.1% (56-127). Europeans specialize in that shot. Maybe Geno will see some in Rio.

BTW, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough of Maryland leads the nation at an insane 60.6% on 71 attempts. Even KML would be happy with that.
Speaking of Rio, Russia has 1 more shot I think in June to qualify for the Olympics. If they Qualify Ephiphany Prince might be the starting point guard and a 17 year old Maria Vadeeva may also be on the team-Maria is that good.

Shatori Walker-Kimbrough is playing very well just to shut me up because I said she did not deserve to be on the Pre-Season all-American Team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm aware of the players you've mentioned and Vadeeva sure fits the bill of a UCONN type player. Has she really committed herself to playing near home? Why such and uphill battle for a player such as Reisingerova?
Maria Vadeeva has been playing club ball since she was 14. Club ball in Europe not the same as in US, more like professional. She would be class of 2017 so she has a year to decide and clear the NCAA hurdles if she wants to play US college ball. The hurdles might be substantial or not worth it. Her immediate target is to help get Russia qualified as one of the 12 teams playing in Rio. I think there are 5 spots still open. The uphill part is because I'm not that well connected ( or brave enough) to pick up the phone and call UCONN and say take a look at Julia. For all I know they might have already evaluated her and concluded different than I did.

Reaction Score
Russia finished 6th in the last Euro championships and are not going to the Olympic qualifying tournament in France in June.

link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog