New PAC-12 Forming | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Memphis is not a western team
Its 1000 miles from NYC
And 2200 miles from Portland
Travel in the MW is brutal not only because of distance but some of those cities are brutal to get to.as are WSU and OSU.
The AAC with the excepion of Tulsa is easily accessible and closer .
Philly , Charlotte , Miami , New Orleans Dallas , Birmingham , Baltimore , NYC , Houston . are short direct flights from Memphis .msny are hubs. The Old teams are making $7,000,000 plus 5 teams are sharing $80,000,000 in exit fees .
Unless there was a guaranteed big dollar media contract that no one knows about its delusion . It a big population League
The Northeast really has the most skewed perception of distance.. The Western US is huge snd vast areas under populated.
Why would AAC teams want to get into a logistical nightmare like the New PAC 12 another G5 conference for all sports? Thats sanity unless your getting $20,000,000 a team

I was referring to the westernmost teams in the AAC. I know Memphis is not in the West.

As we have seen, many schools will sacrifice almost everything all for the sake of getting their FB team higher up the food chain (or not going down). The new PAC has potential to be the clearly strongest G5 league, if they do this right. Meanwhile the last realignment has really watered down the AAC. It used to be top G5. Last year it fell to 3rd behind the Sun Belt and MW.
Two former P5 teams + the cream of MW and AAC could be a very strong conference (in a G5 sense), and set the teams up to do better if/when the ACC collapses.
If you add a few central time zone teams (Memp Tln TX schools), travel burden is more manageable.

No I do not know the exact costs of the increased travel. Maybe it'll be prohibitive. But I think it deserves serious consideration. And again, schools will typically do almost anything to move up a few rungs on the ladder.

B12

Reaction Score
I would imagine a reborn Pac helps UConn in joining the ACC or B12
ACC for sure. I don't think this helps UConn to the B12 at all

Seems like this is the most likely outcome.

ACC lawsuit plays out and a group of schools leave for the B1G, SEC, and B12. ACC is gutted,
P12 adds Stanford and Cal to get back to 8 members, maybe more MW schools.
MW will attempt to add Big Sky and MVC schools but they will decline. Then the MW has to decide if they drop down to FCS where they belong with the Big Sky schools or stay FBS.
ACC will be desperate to reload so they will be looking at UConn, USF, Memphis, ECU, Temple, etc

End result is the SEC and B1G making huge $
B12 doing ok but only making about half the SEC and B1G
PAC and ACC making about half of the B12 as "tweener" conferences.
Then you have the MW, C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC, and AAC all in one group of schools with no brands whatsoever as they have been picked clean. This group will not stay in the same division as the power schools as they can't afford NIL and can't compete.

The real question is that when the SEC, B1G, and B12 breakaway will the PAC and ACC be included in the group as the bottom dwellers. Would be funny and the best plan to keep all the brands in the SEC, B1G, and B12 popular while the ACC and PAC absorb all the L's.

So is Uconn in a better off with Big East membership, Great for BB, exposure issues in BB and no exposure in FB, making 500k on TV for FB, less than 10 million in TV $ struggling as a FBS indy.
or
A gutted ACC with BC, Wake, Cuse, ECU, USF, Temple, Memphis, etc making around 15 million on TV but better exposure.

That's a tough one IMO as the Big East is best for BB but there is no $ and limited exposure. The gutted ACC is going to be more of an AAC type situation but more regional teams to UConn.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UConn football is likely not an option. Neither is St. Mary’s basketball or Hawaii football.

The Pac-12 is not adding any FCS programs. Not happening.

Actual candidates (with a chance):

Gonzaga
UNLV
Air Force
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Memphis
Tulane
USF

My guess is that Air Force either said no or they will announce with the second batch.

B12

Reaction Score
As it stands, the MWC is probably the 5th out of 9 FBS conferences and 1st out of 5 G5s. A reconstituted PAC is looking like it could be 5th out of 10 FBS conferences and 1st out of 6 G6s. With more media money. That's clearly an upgrade for the MWC schools leaving.
I think that depends on which teams.

For SDSU yea it probably makes sense for them as they are in a unique situation and BB can still thrive as they move up.

For CSU I am not sure as they are leaving 3 regional rivals in NM, AFA, and UW. They really have no reason to think they can compete at a higher level in FB/BB based on past results. They are going to be a doormat in the PAC for all practical purposes so for them I tend to think they are better off staying.

Boise is a tough one as they have been moving up but have really not been elite in a while and NIL is only making that more challenging for them to try and compete with schools who have more resources. They are likely better to be the king of the midgets as opposed to dwarves among men. They don't have the built in advantages of SDSU and beyond FB they do not have a power level AD in any way.

Reaction Score
I was going through the machinations of who the PAC might invite. Perhaps look to Texas with North Texas and UTSA. I think it would be more likely that the AAC survives as is and the MWC folds or drops a few notches. The AAC could add Air Force to consolidate all of the service Academies. And of course a UConn Football invite would maintain UConn, Temple and USF from the old Big East with 4 programs in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.

16 Football Programs is the number. The number shall be 16.

B12

Reaction Score
UConn football is likely not an option. Neither is St. Mary’s basketball or Hawaii football.

Gonzaga
UNLV
Air Force
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Memphis
Tulane
USF

My guess is that Air Force either said no or they will announce with the second batch.
The 2 spots are for Cal and Stanford IMO. Once the ACC is gutted they will have to choose between 2 similar conferences with one being regional. Once all the good teams leave there will be no reason for them to stay in the ACC.

The PAC will try to get them in any way possible IMO.

I also do not think AFA will try to move up. They have no reason to try, the AD has a similar subsidy to UConn so no reason to try to step up to a "power" conference. Same for Army and Navy. Armed forces and NIL simply do not mix and that's what's going to differentiate the different levels of sports.

Seems to me that the P12 and leftover ACC schools will attempt to make up the bottom of the new P-4/5 either by combining as one national conference or 2 coastal conferences.

My take is that we are getting ready to see the separation of the FBS level into 2 divisions based on the amount of payment the schools are going to make to players. That may also include the best FCS conferences moving up to that new division with the G-5.

When that happens and the power conferences break away paying players more $ I think there is a chance they have their own BB tournament as well. Not sure that would include the Big East. Why would they want to share that income with them? Why would all the same conferences that currently choose to play in the tournament keep doing so if the other teams have growing advantages? Seems the BB tournament will be the next thing that conference realignment changes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I need someone to explain to me how Memphis could possibly be attractive to the Pac 6.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No clue about CalFord signing a nACC GOR, but they likely view Boise State and Fresno State as rather gory.
They would only consider it if they had no other possibilities.

They looked down their noses at SD State. In comparison to Fresno St & Bouse St, SD St is Harvard.

Reaction Score
I need someone to explain to me how Memphis could possibly be attractive to the Pac 6.
1) They are one of the top FB programs in the AAC.
2) a west-only model is not a great long-term strategy for the new PAC. Central USA presence can help with TV.
3) the goal should be to skim the best off the MW and AAC to create a new, higher conference. It helps the PAC and weakens competitor conferences.
4) it is among the westernmost of the AAC teams, and certainly better than Tulsa
5) better basketball than most of the other options on the table

I am in no way saying Memphis is a powerhouse on an absolute scale. But if you were looking for the top G5 schools west of the Mississippi (or thereabouts :) ), Memphis would be top 10.

Reaction Score

Lol
Sac St might have a shot at MW 2.0. No way for the PAC.
They and UC Davis are really a better fit with the WAC schools are expected to go up to FBS in the next decade

Reaction Score

I do very much agree that Texas St is being overlooked as a candidate here. In a more important market, huge enrollment, flagship of the Texas St system, successful football program. And possibly looking to move up from the Sun Belt both monetarily and as the furthest west conference member

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
ACC for sure. I don't think this helps UConn to the B12 at all

Seems like this is the most likely outcome.

ACC lawsuit plays out and a group of schools leave for the B1G, SEC, and B12. ACC is gutted,
P12 adds Stanford and Cal to get back to 8 members, maybe more MW schools.
MW will attempt to add Big Sky and MVC schools but they will decline. Then the MW has to decide if they drop down to FCS where they belong with the Big Sky schools or stay FBS.
ACC will be desperate to reload so they will be looking at UConn, USF, Memphis, ECU, Temple, etc

End result is the SEC and B1G making huge $
B12 doing ok but only making about half the SEC and B1G
PAC and ACC making about half of the B12 as "tweener" conferences.
Then you have the MW, C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC, and AAC all in one group of schools with no brands whatsoever as they have been picked clean. This group will not stay in the same division as the power schools as they can't afford NIL and can't compete.

The real question is that when the SEC, B1G, and B12 breakaway will the PAC and ACC be included in the group as the bottom dwellers. Would be funny and the best plan to keep all the brands in the SEC, B1G, and B12 popular while the ACC and PAC absorb all the L's.

So is Uconn in a better off with Big East membership, Great for BB, exposure issues in BB and no exposure in FB, making 500k on TV for FB, less than 10 million in TV $ struggling as a FBS indy.
or
A gutted ACC with BC, Wake, Cuse, ECU, USF, Temple, Memphis, etc making around 15 million on TV but better exposure.

That's a tough one IMO as the Big East is best for BB but there is no $ and limited exposure. The gutted ACC is going to be more of an AAC type situation but more regional teams to UConn.
The ACC would take Merrimack over UConn.

Reaction Score

Gonzaga
UNLV
Air Force
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Memphis
Tulane
USF

That’s a silly list. No.

Reaction Score
Pac12 will get it's auto qualifier to the CFP back. UConn should definitely try a FB-only deal if Memphis and Tulane are on the table

Reaction Score
We should definitely kick the tires on a fb only association. We can take a half share or a bit less if needed, and they get that eastern coast exposure that the old Pac12 was mis
An association would be nice.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the acc loses enough teams that the buyouts stop. They can vote to dissolve the agreement/league. If 75% agree to leave, then maybe that gets the GOR broken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Louisville isn’t? It’s not even a real school.
No doubt Louisville undergrad’s not a great school, but even Boise State and Fresno State are bottom barrel scum by comparison. With no clear alternative, CalFord joined the nACC’s higher regarded universities despite Louisville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom