New PAC-12 Forming | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score

Like others have said, Zanetto’s leak really did kill the entire thing. No one can convince me otherwise. He literally caused billions of dollars worth of damage to the University in the long term. Anyone else notice how this went from being reported to being a done deal within 12 hours? Meanwhile when our name gets floated out there we get multiple days of hit pieces and then an eventual public humiliation.

That’s why I think it may have been some sly sabotage. In that event I doubt it was NIL Jared.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Like others have said, Zanetto’s leak really did kill the entire thing. No one can convince me otherwise. He literally caused billions of dollars worth of damage to the University in the long term. Anyone else notice how this went from being reported to being a done deal within 12 hours? Meanwhile when our name gets floated out there we get multiple days of hit pieces and then an eventual public humiliation.

Russ and y'all are giving way too much weight and credit to Zanetto for the leak. The national media didn't pick up on Zanetto's leak. National media picked up leaks from inside the Big 12 who obviously wanted to kill it.

Idiot brained UConn podcast guy didn't kill this deal; UConn booster didn't kill this deal; Big 12 insiders killed the deal.

Reaction Score
What’s funny is that the MWC likely had their eye on the bag of cash that the PAC 2 were sitting on and they were angling to get as much of it as possible through a continued scheduling arrangement. They ACTUALLY thought that they were in a dominant position.

Instead the PAC-2 decides to drink the MWC’s milkshake and use that money to defray the cost of the exit fees of the MWC’s most valuable member institutions.

End result? The MWC gets to swirl down the toilet just like the WAC did.

Nice work geniuses.

Reaction Score
I love these sentences:

"But in reality, all they’ve done is leave a conference that was competing with the American to be the fifth-best conference and … join a league that will be competing with the American to be the fifth-best conference. What they're putting together is more Parody Pac than Pac-12, but in college sports these days it's sadly just business as usual."

So same level, strength-wise, but perhaps a little of extra money, CR is a Ponzi scheme. That aside, Parody Pac is a great conference name!!!
It’s also a stupid way to look at it when you consider the alternative for the PAC-2.

Wolken forever is the world’s largest putz.

Reaction Score
Only need 8 total schools, but my guess is they go to 10.

Pac-2+4
Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Boise State

Since MWC threw the Pac-2 a life raft with scheduling agreement for a year, I don't think they completely destroy the conference and go after more teams there (though I would take UNLV and New Mexico as my top picks).

Who's viable left to take (South Central and Western teams)?

AAC
Rice
Tulane
Memphis
Tulsa
North Texas
UTSA

Conference USA
UTEP
New Mexico State

Sun Belt
Texas State

My gut is telling me they take Memphis, Rice, Tulane and New Mexico State.
If they're taking a New Mexico team it won't be New Mexico State. It'll be New Mexico. I think this was just the dusting off the plan to show stability. I don't think it means they're completely done with the MWC.

Reaction Score
That’s why I think it may have been some sly sabotage. In that event I doubt it was NIL Jared.
Beastie Boys 90S GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Reaction Score
It would be great for us if Cal and Stanford went back to the PAC now but I don't see it ever happening. It's too bad though. It would give us an opening for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Why is the Pac 2 doing the adding and not the MWC? Because of some old legacy contracts that will almost certainly not be renewed? This is going to be really expensive for the Pac 12 to add a few MWC schools to still be a G5 conference. What am I missing?
1) brand
2) drop dead weight (Wyoming)
3) cherry pick others (Memphis, Texas schools)

Reaction Score
Only need 8 total schools, but my guess is they go to 10.

Pac-2+4
Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Boise State

Since MWC threw the Pac-2 a life raft with scheduling agreement for a year, I don't think they completely destroy the conference and go after more teams there (though I would take UNLV and New Mexico as my top picks).

Who's viable left to take (South Central and Western teams)?

AAC
Rice
Tulane
Memphis
Tulsa
North Texas
UTSA

Conference USA
UTEP
New Mexico State

Sun Belt
Texas State

My gut is telling me they take Memphis, Rice, Tulane and New Mexico State.

The AAC and MW could’ve had NMSU at any point in the last decade and weren’t interested. Why would the PAC?

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The AAC and MW could’ve had NMSU at any point in the last decade and weren’t interested. Why would the PAC?
Desperation?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think some combination of the AAC, MWC, and CUSA are going to have to combine down to two at some point, including schools leaving for MAC/Sun Belt/PAC. Only alternative is diluting FBS further with more schools, which I am sure is what they are going to do in reality

Reaction Score
my too-early wild idea

UConn football is a pink sheet stock. nobody wants us if they can help it. I have basically given up on getting an official offer to a P4. And we'll never accept a G5 all-sports offer.

Therefore, It will take a "last-option" situation for some G5 conference to seriously consider giving the official offer to UConn FB. But i sense it could be on the horizon. So i imagine the following sequence:

1) Pac12 successfully steals the biggest brands/football programs from MWC and AAC
2) MWC/AAC reach an agreement to join forces - neither is valuable enough alone anymore, if tulane/memphis/UNLV leave
3) UConn gets a (verbal/unofficial) offer to join MW/AAC for all sports (all or nothing, surprise surprise)
4) UConn counters with football only, because we've seen this "all sports" movie before (AAC-UConn)
5) MWC/AAC play hardball until they cant anymore and agree to invite just football, but for crapton less money than the other programs. They need bodies, and we're a body, even if a dead one.
6) we take it because we have no options and need some sort of path to the playoff, even if miniscule.
7) stay there and try to get better at football, to get the coveted P4 invite for all sports.
8) Protect bball, keep winning meaningfully every year (if not nat'l titles), to keep the brand power up while football rehabs in a G5.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I agree with this completely. Why would these 6 schools waste so much money on this scheme. Literally any other option would have been more financially attractive, unless there is something that these writers are all missing.

Reaction Score
The news specifically says they’re forming this core group of 6 to then evaluate which teams to add.

Everyone from the MW will want in, with Air Force, UNLV, UtahSt seeming like the leaders, SJSU/Nevada next, and Wyoming/New Mexico in trouble.

Plus the western teams from the AAC like Memphis Tulane and TX schools
Memphis is not a western team
Its 1000 miles from NYC
And 2200 miles from Portland
Travel in the MW is brutal not only because of distance but some of those cities are brutal to get to.as are WSU and OSU.
The AAC with the excepion of Tulsa is easily accessible and closer .
Philly , Charlotte , Miami , New Orleans Dallas , Birmingham , Baltimore , NYC , Houston . are short direct flights from Memphis .msny are hubs. The Old teams are making $7,000,000 plus 5 teams are sharing $80,000,000 in exit fees .
Unless there was a guaranteed big dollar media contract that no one knows about its delusion . It a big population League
The Northeast really has the most skewed perception of distance.. The Western US is huge snd vast areas under populated.
Why would AAC teams want to get into a logistical nightmare like the New PAC 12 another G5 conference for all sports? Thats sanity unless your getting $20,000,000 a team

Last edited:

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
my too-early wild idea

UConn football is a pink sheet stock. nobody wants us if they can help it. I have basically given up on getting an official offer to a P4. And we'll never accept a G5 all-sports offer.

Therefore, It will take a "last-option" situation for some G5 conference to seriously consider giving the official offer to UConn FB. But i sense it could be on the horizon. So i imagine the following sequence:

1) Pac12 successfully steals the biggest brands/football programs from MWC and AAC
2) MWC/AAC reach an agreement to join forces - neither is valuable enough alone anymore, if tulane/memphis/UNLV leave
3) UConn gets a (verbal/unofficial) offer to join MW/AAC for all sports (all or nothing, surprise surprise)
4) UConn counters with football only, because we've seen this "all sports" movie before (AAC-UConn)
5) MWC/AAC play hardball until they cant anymore and agree to invite just football, but for crapton less money than the other programs. They need bodies, and we're a body, even if a dead one.
6) we take it because we have no options and need some sort of path to the playoff, even if miniscule.
7) stay there and try to get better at football, to get the coveted P4 invite for all sports.
8) Protect bball, keep winning meaningfully every year (if not nat'l titles), to keep the brand power up while football rehabs in a G5.
Looks like someone graduated from @shizzle787 Conference Alignment Next Dominoes Master Program...and it's not too far from what could happen.

BTW, I hope your Jets have a good season (saying this as a non-Jets fan but always roots for the AFC in the Super Bowl). I love their updated uniforms for 2024 and really dig the colors.

Reaction Score
From PAC Dysfunction Jan 2024 discussion the plan is coming together!

Western Division: 8 full members

Oregon State legacy
Washington State legacy
San Diego State Sep 2024
Fresno State Sep 2024
Boise State Sep 2024
Colorado State Sep 2024
Rice
Tulane

Eastern Division, 8 FB affiliates.

Army - Patriot (FB only)
Navy - Patriot (FB only)
UConn - Big East (FB only)
Nova - Big East (FB only)
Temple - A10 (FB only)
UMass - A10 (FB only)
Delaware - A10 (FB only)
USF - A10 (FB only)

Reaction Score
Looks like someone graduated from @shizzle787 Conference Alignment Next Dominoes Master Program...and it's not too far from what could happen.

BTW, I hope your Jets have a good season (saying this as a non-Jets fan but always roots for the AFC in the Super Bowl). I love their updated uniforms for 2024 and really dig the colors.
I'm crazy. and this was my professor:

theory.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom