New PAC-12 Forming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
To me it seems like the AAC. Still G5. Do these schools have large followings? They can call themselves the PAC but it isn’t.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
To me it seems like the AAC. Still G5. Do these schools have large followings? They can call themselves the PAC but it isn’t.
These are all large schools with decent size passionate followings. Definitely a “best of the rest” for mountain/west coast schools

Reaction Score
For every MWC school they add there is an additional penalty that WSU and OSU would owe depending on when the league starts. They’re likely looking at UTSA or Rice who only get half shares in the AAC. If the TV money is ok then perhaps Memphis comes into play. Especially if there is a Gonzaga involvement. I could see Army/Navy being interested in a league that has both Cali and Texas exposure for military recruiting.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I would've thought Utah State would be a better add than Colorado State, but I must be just basing that off how they played against UConn. Going back to 2000, their combined records are:
Utah State: 129 W & 160 L, 4 bowl wins & 7 bowl losses
Colorado State: 125 W & 155 L, 5 bowl wins & 6 bowl losses
If we could get some games with them, that would help our schedule as football wise, they would be among the stronger of the G5s.

Reaction Score
Must be more schools in talks that’s only 6 schools.

The news specifically says they’re forming this core group of 6 to then evaluate which teams to add.

Everyone from the MW will want in, with Air Force, UNLV, UtahSt seeming like the leaders, SJSU/Nevada next, and Wyoming/New Mexico in trouble.

Plus the western teams from the AAC like Memphis Tulane and TX schools

Reaction Score
I would've thought Utah State would be a better add than Colorado State, but I must be just basing that off how they played against UConn. Going back to 2000, their combined records are:
Utah State: 129 W & 160 L, 4 bowl wins & 7 bowl losses
Colorado State: 125 W & 155 L, 5 bowl wins & 6 bowl losses
If we could get some games with them, that would help our schedule as football wise, they would be among the stronger of the G5s.
Col st is #2 school in a bigger state.
Utahst is distant 3rd in its state.

Reaction Score
For every MWC school they add there is an additional penalty that WSU and OSU would owe depending on when the league starts. They’re likely looking at UTSA or Rice who only get half shares in the AAC. If the TV money is ok then perhaps Memphis comes into play. Especially if there is a Gonzaga involvement. I could see Army/Navy being interested in a league that has both Cali and Texas exposure for military recruiting.

If Army and Navy are in then you might as will consider UConn to solidify an eastern presence.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Will the media contract be bigger than the American? I would think on par... Whatever the number is, it will be interesting.

I don't see Cal and Stanford joining this group until after it reestablishes autonomous power status and an auto bid to the CFP. And I don't see how the power 4 is just going to agree to let this group become a power conf again.

I like USTA and Northern Texas to join this group to round out 8. Surprising UNLV (and the Vegas market and venues) are not a part of this yet.....maybe they will be.

Poor Wyoming.

Reaction Score
The news specifically says they’re forming this core group of 6 to then evaluate which teams to add.

Everyone from the MW will want in, with Air Force, UNLV, UtahSt seeming like the leaders, SJSU/Nevada next, and Wyoming/New Mexico in trouble.

Plus the western teams from the AAC like Memphis Tulane and TX schools

Yeah the Queue at the exit will be full.

It’s funny because this is almost exactly what they did to the WAC.

Reaction Score
This way they can get the best of the MWC without the whole MWC. Why pay SJSU or Wyoming, for example, when you could simply not include them?

You do this to leverage them into taking a lesser deal. Nasty.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Only need 8 total schools, but my guess is they go to 10.

Pac-2+4
Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Boise State

Since MWC threw the Pac-2 a life raft with scheduling agreement for a year, I don't think they completely destroy the conference and go after more teams there (though I would take UNLV and New Mexico as my top picks).

Who's viable left to take (South Central and Western teams)?

AAC
Rice
Tulane
Memphis
Tulsa
North Texas
UTSA

Conference USA
UTEP
New Mexico State

Sun Belt
Texas State

My gut is telling me they take Memphis, Rice, Tulane and New Mexico State.

Reaction Score
I think this move will be much more successful than many people expect. The Pac 12 brand still has equity and these new members won't be comparing their TV contract to the B1G and SEC but just trying to beat the MWC and AAC by a decent margin. I expect that Memphis, UTSA, Tulane and USF could all be invited from the AAC. I think UNLV will also certainly be invited and then 1 more out of Utah State, New Mexico or Texas State.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why is the Pac 2 doing the adding and not the MWC? Because of some old legacy contracts that will almost certainly not be renewed? This is going to be really expensive for the Pac 12 to add a few MWC schools to still be a G5 conference. What am I missing?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Why is the Pac 2 doing the adding and not the MWC? Because of some old legacy contracts that will almost certainly not be renewed? This is going to be really expensive for the Pac 12 to add a few MWC schools to still be a G5 conference. What am I missing?
They'll be the top G5 if they play it right. PAC-12 is still a brand with name recognition. Still has value, even if most people won't know what teams are in it.

Reaction Score

Branding.

The MWC was being paid by the PAC 2 this season and they overplayed their hand.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Yes, they'll still be G5, but in terms of brand names PAC12 >> MWC. That, and the PAC leftovers have more money in their cache than the MWC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe WSU and OSU will be using some of their divorcee money to subsidize their MW divorces. From a media contract standpoint, I will be surprised if they get a number north of 10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom