New PAC-12 Forming | Page 39 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
About a dozen years ago I saw an episode of the US version of Top Gear.

In that episode one of the clowns bought a 30 year old Fiero and a kit that had fenders and a spoiler that could be bolted on to make it kind of resemble a Ferrari.

That's kind of what Oregon St & Washington St are attempting.
This is what makes me infuriated at this new P12 vs. G8 proposal in that Ore St and Wash St get to leverage their also-ran status as a former Px to be part of the P12 yet UConn, which was part of the BCS automatic qualification group (a quasi P6 before the term P5 became in vogue), gets relegated to the G8. To be fair, USF was also relegated, but I would argue they don't have champsionship caliber teams unless you count "Coed cheer team" (not knocking cheerleading, but compared to football, basketball, soccer, field hockey, etcs, it's more of a performance competition). I'm grateful Wash St. gave us Drew Bledsoe that helped the Patriots begin their dynasty, but its ludricrous to lump them into power status when they were discarded similar to us (in that our former conference mates traded up into P5 status).

Reaction Score
This is what makes me infuriated at this new P12 vs. G8 proposal in that Ore St and Wash St get to leverage their also-ran status as a former Px to be part of the P12 yet UConn, which was part of the BCS automatic qualification group (a quasi P6 before the term P5 became in vogue), gets relegated to the G8. To be fair, USF was also relegated, but I would argue they don't have champsionship caliber teams unless you count "Coed cheer team" (not knocking cheerleading, but compared to football, basketball, soccer, field hockey, etcs, it's more of a performance competition). I'm grateful Wash St. gave us Drew Bledsoe that helped the Patriots begin their dynasty, but its ludricrous to lump them into power status when they were discarded similar to us (in that our former conference mates traded up into P5 status).
Wasn't Temple also relegated?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I mean, UConn, Temple, and USF were part of the group calling the shots in basically the same scenario, no?

Reaction Score

Why shouldn’t they?

They are paying a large part of the buyouts for four schools. It’s their show, they should get to dictate some terms.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Wasn't Temple also relegated?
I mean, UConn, Temple, and USF were part of the group calling the shots in basically the same scenario, no?
I didn't include Temple (perhaps somewhat arbitrarily) since they left the Big East after the 2004/2005 season and rejoined in the final 2012/2013 season (going independent then to the MAC in between); hence I went with continuity that USF had over Temple when the football Big East dissolved.
Why shouldn’t they?

They are paying a large part of the buyouts for four schools. It’s their show, they should get to dictate some terms.
They have a cache of money, it's true, but would you argue that OSU and WSU should be part of the 72 while we get nudged out? Cuz though they have better football now, we have better basketball and a stronger national brand because of it, yet we won't be getting on that life raft that they've been tossed.

Reaction Score
I agree and I am not trying to defend the PAC as a power conference. OSU and WSU are both currently 4-1. They have been members of the PAC for over 50 years. The PAC was the 2nd best conference last year behind the SEC by some measures, OSU was very good, and WSU just beat Washington. So to be fair, those two have earned some cred.

Reaction Score

Video: Sac-State New Stadium and Other Uses

Where they are located, they are great for MWC or PAC-12. I am not sure why PAC-12 didn't go after San Jose State when they lost the Bay Area media markets with Stanford and Cal. San Jose State football has been improving, but they need more media coverage to get more locals interested. They have a significant attendance issue, too.

Reaction Score
Sac St and NM State are the only two left trying to claw their way into PAC or MWC at this point right?

Reaction Score
this has kind of been the PAC/MWC thread

This makes sense for MWC with Hawaii, but what will get NIU and Toledo to join for football only unless the money is much better than the MAC?

Reaction Score
Not as much money in the Bank as the PAC
if it was the alleged $200,000,000 plus divided 2 ways . UConn finances would have been a little different.

Reaction Score
Not as much money in the Bank as the PAC
if it was the alleged $200,000,000 plus divided 2 ways . UConn finances would have been a little different.
Yeah. The only reason pac is important is because the outgoing members by leaving basically forsaked the common product between them. The legal wrangling last year was to stop the remaining members from raiding the piggybank

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I've been rethinking this: I hope Memphis and only Memphis jumps at the Pac-12 and then we come to an agreement on a football-only deal. If we get 5-7 million per year plus the 7+ million from the Big East we will be in a solid place. Our NIL would be in a really good place relative to just about everybody in the G5. \ Plus, if the Pac-12 only has nine schools it guarantees an eight game schedule leaving us 1 FCS game and 3 P4 home and home series games.

Prospective schedule:

1. Villanova (H)
2. Duke (A)
3. Syracuse (H)
4. Maryland (A)
5. Memphis (A)
6. Colorado State (H)
7. Utah State (H)
8. Washington State (A)
9. Oregon State (H)
10. SDSU (A)
11. Boise State (H)
12. Fresno State (A)

That schedule plus a realistic path to the playoff is comparable to the 4-5 P4 schedule per year that we play now.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
I've been rethinking this: I hope Memphis and only Memphis jumps at the Pac-12 and then we come to an agreement on a football-only deal. If we get 5-7 million per year plus the 7+ million from the Big East we will be in a solid place. Our NIL would be in a really good place relative to just about everybody in the G5. \ Plus, if the Pac-12 only has nine schools it guarantees an eight game schedule leaving us 1 FCS game and 3 P4 home and home series games.

Prospective schedule:

1. Villanova (H)
2. Duke (A)
3. Syracuse (H)
4. Maryland (A)
5. Memphis (A)
6. Colorado State (H)
7. Utah State (H)
8. Washington State (A)
9. Oregon State (H)
10. SDSU (A)
11. Boise State (H)
12. Fresno State (A)

That schedule plus a realistic path to the playoff is comparable to the 4-5 P4 schedule per year that we play now.
Shizzle, I'm okay with most of that, but Puke can come to our house and get their arses kicked properly.

Reaction Score
"It was in the summer of 2014 that I first heard Mao’s name. Forbes put him on a “30-under-30” list. The Pac-12 Network had just partnered with YouTube. Mao was a key player in the launch. He eventually went to work for Octagon — which has a client list that includes the NFL, MLB, ACC, WCC, and Big Ten, among others. Mao is Octagon’s senior vice president in charge of media rights consulting."

Reaction Score
"It was in the summer of 2014 that I first heard Mao’s name. Forbes put him on a “30-under-30” list. The Pac-12 Network had just partnered with YouTube. Mao was a key player in the launch. He eventually went to work for Octagon — which has a client list that includes the NFL, MLB, ACC, WCC, and Big Ten, among others. Mao is Octagon’s senior vice president in charge of media rights consulting."
Are you sure Mao is the Senior Vice President? A lot of people think he is actually the Chairman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom