New PAC-12 Forming | Page 38 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
That makes sense. I’m sure Memphis and the others have asked about revenue. UConn too I suspect. It would also impact who you try to recruit. Is adding a couple of midwestern and eastern members going to add media value by opening up access to earlier time slots or just travel expenses?
Revenue is absolutely the biggest factor. I am curious about the July 2026 date and I didn't bother to look it up. If they need 8 full time programs competing in the fall of 2026, that could be a problem if they wait much longer. Programs need to pay exit fees and the revenue may not be worth it.

Reaction Score
Revenue is absolutely the biggest factor. I am curious about the July 2026 date and I didn't bother to look it up. If they need 8 full time programs competing in the fall of 2026, that could be a problem if they wait much longer. Programs need to pay exit fees and the revenue may not be worth it.
Doesn't the PAC have a war chest of exit fee monies that new teams can have access to?

Reaction Score
That makes sense. I’m sure Memphis and the others have asked about revenue. UConn too I suspect. It would also impact who you try to recruit. Is adding a couple of midwestern and eastern members going to add media value by opening up access to earlier time slots or just travel expenses?

-> The media rights negotiations could lead anywhere, but the top line is the same: The Pac-12’s revenue doesn’t depend on the identity of the eighth full-time member.

There are no schools available that would materially alter the Pac-12’s media valuation now that the seven football schools and Gonzaga are in place. Not even Memphis and Tulane, with their Central Time Zone kickoff windows, will significantly alter the value, industry sources said. <-

-> The Pac-12 will head to the negotiating table without a full complement of schools, cut the best deal it can find, then shape the remaining membership slots to fit the media deal.

As a result, the standard process for negotiating media rights deals has been flipped:“Everyone knows they need a minimum of eight full-time members,” a source said. “But the reality is, they have 20 months to meet that minimum.”

The conference retained Navigate, the sports and entertainment consulting firm, to handle expansion, and the company has fielded dozens of calls from interested schools. But official negotiations are on hold while the Pac-12 seeks clarity on a media rights deal. <-

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 subreddit is absolutely delusional. They're talking about going after Memphis, Tulane, Troy, Creighton, UConn, App State and James Madison. They really think that any of those schools will join? For. tV contract that is probably 10 mil per school?

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 subreddit is absolutely delusional. They're talking about going after Memphis, Tulane, Troy, Creighton, UConn, App State and James Madison. They really think that any of those schools will join? For. tV contract that is probably 10 mil per school?
I think Troy, App State, and JMU would all go for 10 mil, but i don't know they get that with those schools.

Reaction Score
LOL, Creighton is better than Gonzaga. On what planet did they out perform Creighton?

Marquette < SanDiego State. Unless it’s 1977. Then you are right. When did Marquette last make the national championship game? Was it 1976 or 77?

Villanova has fallen off a cliff since their hall of fame coach retired. Not unexpected. But just a fact.

And I said UConn was better, so we agree on that.
Advanced. That's the key word. They have.

Winning a championship is better than getting to a championship once in a million years.

But you're right on Marquette, Shaka Smart sucks. You're right on that one.

Reaction Score
If you're covering a period long enough to claim Nova's two recent titles, Gonzaga has significantly outperformed Creighton in the tournament.

If you're limiting the period to the recent years where Creighton has outperformed Gonzaga, Villanova has been outperformed by Utah St.

Scoot's argument contains quite a bit of puffery but the are some kernals of truth in it.
We're com paring the whole league for heaven's sake. This is the most ridiculous argument

Reaction Score
LOL, Creighton is better than Gonzaga. On what planet did they out perform Creighton?

Marquette < SanDiego State. Unless it’s 1977. Then you are right. When did Marquette last make the national championship game? Was it 1976 or 77?

Villanova has fallen off a cliff since their hall of fame coach retired. Not unexpected. But just a fact.

And I said UConn was better, so we agree on that.
Quit while your behind. Being willing to sacrifice the whole athletic department for this PAC 12 is certainly an argument that no sane UConn fan would make

Reaction Score
Quit while your behind. Being willing to sacrifice the whole athletic department for this PAC 12 is certainly an argument that no sane UConn fan would make
I’m not advocating that at all. I’m saying the PAC is seeking to become the non P4 power conference in basketball, a position currently held by the New Big East. I think the combination of members plus having a football league could enable them to succeed. I’m not convinced that the P2, never mind the P4 want more than 1 non-P4 basketball league. So I think this model could supplant the NEWBE. They will be the best G5 football league and a power hoop league. I don’t see a NEWBE program stepping up long term and we have 2 awful ones.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the PAC have a war chest of exit fee monies that new teams can have access to?
That depends on jow OSU and WSU feel about parting with it. I would definitely invest some of that money if the result was a viable conference .
They should have about $200million
I could see spending a good hunk of that .?

Reaction Score
AI has made fantasy real estate ultra inexpensive to fabricate. 'Here, have a stadium drawing - don't cost nuttin.'
Yeah… I read this this morning:

-> Q: With that, is there a budget? Is there a number right now?

Orr: A cost estimate? We're working on that. We released yesterday some very preliminary schematic conceptual designs, and that gives an idea of the type of stadium we're considering. There are some tweaks and some more work we're going to need to continue to work on and tighten that up. Once we have a design that we feel comfortable with, we will get to the hard estimate and finance it.

Q: I buy a car; I know how much it costs. I buy a home; I know how much it costs. I buy a stadium.... Do you guys have any kind of ballpark number for where your range is looking?

Orr: Yeah, I would say we obviously know just from comparables within the state of California what a what a 25,000-seat stadium costs. And quite frankly, I'll give you an example. San Diego State built one. Now there was 35,000 seats and theirs was just between 250 and $300 million at that at the end of the day. So, I'm not sure exactly where ours would fall. We're looking at 25,000. Again, we'll get to the schematics and getting to the details and have a number.

We are confident that we will have the funding mechanisms in place. The funding mechanisms are not university general funds that are going to take away from academic programs or our student programs on campus. These are all dedicated funds for athletics and with those funds, and since we announced the stadium, we've gotten so much additional support of folks out in the Sacramento community who want to help, who want to contribute. So, I have no doubts this will be funded, and it will happen. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom