Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
78320851987.gif

Northeastern University

2722.gif

Univ. of Washington

THIS...

Cantore13928:47am via Twitter for iPhone
@UConn @UConnHuskies Our new logo had to have been based off of my husky... pic.twitter.com/FaPueAQ9yt [/ATTACH][/quote]

BHpvCsdCIAEiGpr.jpg

Reaction Score
New Mexico uses a crazy, stylized wolf that looks nothing like our logo and UW uses a side view of a husky. Their old logo was similar but neither look anything like UCONN's new logo.

I don't think you understood my context. I meant it looks more like those logos in terms of "generic" cartoonist style. The old logo looks more like an "actual" husky. Wouldn't you agree? Nevertheless the new one is growing on me. Still not sure I like it more than old. Though eventually I probably will...who knows.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There were limitless potential variations for the new logo. The avatar to the left, shows what could have, and probably should have been the new logo for the simple reason is that it is tied to the familiar Jonathan that everyone already knows. The blue toupee, as it's being called, isn't. In fact, it looks like it was done by some entity that was mass producing new logos for NCAA athletic departments. The most disturbing part is the University didn't say it needs to be based on a white husky dog.

The Georgia redo didn't use a brown and white bulldog.

Reaction Score
The avatar to the left, shows what could have, and probably should have been the new logo for the simple reason is that it is tied to the familiar Jonathan that everyone already knows. The blue toupee, as it's being called, isn't.

Old political trickright here. Say something slanderous about those you disagree with ("blue toupee"), claiming it's what "people" (not you, amirite?) are calling it.

Soooooo douchey.

It's okay to have an opinion. But that don't make it The Truth. You sound like a politician. And I don't mean that as a compliment.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and before, we stuck out as having a bad logo. There's no accounting for taste. Distinctive does not equal good.

Many people like myself like the new design. They think it would be much better as a white husky because there are no other white husky logos (that I know of) and thus would be more closely associated with UConn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Old political trickright here. Say something slanderous about those you disagree with ("blue toupee"), claiming it's what "people" (not you, amirite?) are calling it.

Soooooo douchey.

It's okay to have an opinion. But that don't make it The Truth. You sound like a politician. And I don't mean that as a compliment.

What's douchey, is reading one post and assuming it is incorrect. Try searching this site for the word toupee. It was used over a dozen prior times today and none of them by me. Slanderous would be if I referred to you as Dez's ball-licker, but I wouldn't do that.

Reaction Score
I like it a lot. People on fb are hating on it so hard though, but I guarantee its just because people don't like change. They're not giving it a chance, eventually I bet they accept it.
I won't and I will let the university know it as long as I am breathing.

Reaction Score
This new logo is pretty sweet. I guarantee all the gnashing of teeth will be done come first kickoff....especially if new unis are of Cal quality
They march that mascot around me and I'll be booing.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to imply that Nike has a better idea of what people want than some dude on the Internet with 74 total posts before now, but...

... well, yeah, that's pretty much what I'm implying.
This dude went to graduate school at the University of Tennessee and majored in Advertising and minored in Marketing. I can assure you I have a lot of knowledge about those fields. Coca Cola came out with "New Coke" to replace Classic Coke and they fell on their ass. Ford came out with Edsel. You could go on and on. I wouldn't be so quick to annoint the folks at Nike as geniuses either. If you'd like to talk in detail about this I'd be glad to do it off line. Anyone with any sense at all would not abandon a traditional mascot with a high emotional attachment for it's students, alums, fan base, and a high recognition value to others around the country. By the way, I matriculated at UT in 1974, the first year Pat Head (now Summitt) coached there. You want to talk about recognition? When I told some people I had gone to UConn they thought I was from Alaska. I bet those people know about UConn now, and I bet they have nightmares when they see Jonathon!!!

Reaction Score
You don't see the generic similarities?

Exactly. Can anyone take a guess as to why they don't? (see two lines above this one)
Yes, they switched to a smoother less vicious looking Husky. Wait a minute. That's the exact opposite of what we are doing? They must know something we don't.

Reaction Score
whenever people on Facebook start bitching about something, you need to step back and realize that these people are on Facebook.
John I think you and some of the others here have no clue what this change is going to do to upset the UConn fan base. Trust me. Wait a few weeks and you will see some serious objections being raised to the change. I don't mean just by FB'rs and Boneyarders, but people who have some influen$e in the university community.

Reaction Score
John I think you and some of the others here have no clue what this change is going to do to upset the UConn fan base. Trust me. Wait a few weeks and you will see some serious objections being raised to the change. I don't mean just by FB'rs and Boneyarders, but people who have some influen$e in the university community.

Seems like quite a few of the big ticket University partners are on board:

"The new branding and logo effort will coincide with a statewide promotion with the University’s athletic corporate partners – Webster Bank, Coca Cola, and Dunkin’ Donuts. Webster Bank will launch a new credit card, Coca Cola will have logos on its trucks, and Metro North Railroad vending machines and Dunkin’ Donuts will have logos on coffee cups."

Reaction Score
Many people like myself like the new design. They think it would be much better as a white husky because there are no other white husky logos (that I know of) and thus would be more closely associated with UConn.

Whatever our logo is is what people will associate with UConn. It's just a visual representation of an idea. If it's out there, and people see it, and they see us, they'll know who they are. It's not really that confusing. Nobody is going to be watching SportsCenter and being like "Holy is that the Washington Huskies or the UConn Huskies, I just can't figure it out because like, the UConn husky is supposed to be a Siberian Husky."

Reaction Score

Rome is Burning with this conference mess and people are up in arms about a duckin' cartoon drawing? If that's the case, just put us in a conference with Tunxis CC and call it a day.....

Reaction Score
Whatever our logo is is what people will associate with UConn. It's just a visual representation of an idea. If it's out there, and people see it, and they see us, they'll know who they are. It's not really that confusing. Nobody is going to be watching SportsCenter and being like "Holy is that the Washington Huskies or the UConn Huskies, I just can't figure it out because like, the UConn husky is supposed to be a Siberian Husky."
Wrong again Dez...it's as simple as standing out in a wolf pack or pack of huskies if you will...put this new blue toupee husky in with all the other teams and we blend into the pack..or remain all white sticking with a little bit of tradition (and our mascot) and stand out in the crowd...if you want to be a douchy husky then blend right in with the rest of the pack on sportscenter.

Reaction Score
Wrong again Dez...it's as simple as standing out in a wolf pack or pack of huskies if you will...put this new blue toupee husky in with all the other teams and we blend into the pack..or remain all white sticking with a little bit of tradition (and our mascot) and stand out in the crowd...if you want to be a douchy husky then blend right in with the rest of the pack on sportscenter.

Ya know what stands out? Trophies. Lots and lots of them. If you think this or that cartoon is going to make us stand out, then I think you're beyond reach.

, you could have this be our logo
©
and you put a lot of trophies next to it and ya know what? We duckin stand out BIG TIME.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The new logo is slowly growing on me as well.
Gotta have the red outline w/ or w/o the text.
Also, I think it needs FANGS in the upper jaw to look even more menacing...

Sure, and while we're at it, let's have blood dripping from the fangs.

Meaner looking is one thing. Adding fangs would be absurd.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I still like the old logo. I don't think we need to look menacing. Art4life, fangs?? The UCONN husky isn't a comic book character. This is "selling out" in my opinion. I love the old logo and I agree with hoophound that it made Uconn distinguishable from the rest. Now we went for a more generic logo that looks like UW or New Mexico. The white logo with the blue outlining of fur made our logo much more detailed than the others. I will even go as far as to say our logo made have helped some of our success. A little bit...I mean I know as a kid I loved the logo, and as silly as it sounds, psycholigically it has a huge effect on the "liking" of a school for many people. I mean Duke and UNC has kept the same logo for how many years?? I think staying with a traditional brand is huge...

Good points. The woman in Oregon who was one of the two people nationwide that picked every game correctly during the 2011 men's tourney remarked afterward that she picked UCONN to win it all because she liked our husky logo. That's good enough for me. So far, every non-UCONN related friend I have who has seen the new logo think it sucks.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
New Mexico uses a crazy, stylized wolf that looks nothing like our logo and UW uses a side view of a husky. Their old logo was similar but neither look anything like UCONN's new logo.

New-Mexico-logo-2009.gif
images

Lobos are coyotes, not wolves, although New Mexico's logo looks more like a deranged dingo.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Lobos are coyotes, not wolves, although New Mexico's logo looks more like a deranged dingo.
Huh? Lobo is the Spanish word for wolf. A coyote is basically a wild North American dog and the wolf is of Eurasian derivation. Two totally animals.

Reaction Score
You want to talk about recognition? When I told some people I had gone to UConn they thought I was from Alaska. I bet those people know about UConn now, and I bet they have nightmares when they see Jonathon!!!
Lighten up, Francis! As @%*&!$ worked up about our UCONN's new logo as some appear to be, wonder if their panties get as wound up about misspelling the mascot's name? )

Reaction Score

I think our logo, as well designed as it is, isn't distinctive enough to be associated with one school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom