OT: - New Grill Advice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: New Grill Advice

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Ok. I have some questions regarding a pellet grill. I'm not necessarily opposed to one, just don't know much about them.

1. How long does it take to warm up? Does is get as hot as gas? Does it take longer to cook food?

2. You prefer this type of grill over a gas grill?

3. Is Traeger "THE" brand when it comes to pellet grills?

4. What model of traeger do you have?
1) Warmup is similar to charcoal in time - 20 to 30 minutes. But you don't have to do anything but push a button and walk away. The better models will get up to 500 degrees which is enough to sear meet. Generally things do take longer - it's just a different way to cook. Fortunately the extra time doesn't involve much or any hands on. But you do have to plan to start things in advance, kind of like the sous vide stuff from the Steak thread.

2) Overall, yes, definitely prefer the pellet grill - it just adds so much flavor no matter how you use it. In a perfect world, I would have a good gas grill as well as the pellet grill for searing or getting burgers and dogs done quickly for the kids. Pellets are more expensive than gas, so firing up a gas grill to 500+ for searing would be more cost effective.

3) Traeger is the face of pellet grills for sure - they've been doing it a long time. There are other reputable brands.

4) I have an Ironwood which is kind of the middle level for the Traeger lineup.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Since there are numerous other OT threads about the outdoors, I figured I would add to the congestion.

I am in the market for a new grill. I am looking at getting a gas grill, no charcoal, just like the ease of using gas.

I've been looking for a little while already and a couple of brands I am familiar with already.

Weber is a great grill, from what I've heard. Are they worth the extra price?
Char-Broil- currently own an infrared model and the grates rotted out of it. Have they gotten better in the last 6-7 years.

Every big box store has there own version. Don't necessarily want to spend too much, but might be willing to go to $1000 or so.

What do you own? How long have you had it? Would you buy it again? How much was it, if willing to say?

Thanks.

I have a Weber that I bought in 2008, use all the time, and treat like crap, and it's still going strong.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Had accumulated 4 Weber’s... 2 Genesis, a kettle, and a Q tailgater. Kept one Genesis and sold the rest. As everyone noted they are tanks and will provide years of use nearly trouble free. I’ve never used another brand that lasts as long.

Money from selling the 3 grills is going toward a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill.

Reaction Score
Ok. I have some questions regarding a pellet grill. I'm not necessarily opposed to one, just don't know much about them.

1. How long does it take to warm up? Does is get as hot as gas? Does it take longer to cook food?

2. You prefer this type of grill over a gas grill?

3. Is Traeger "THE" brand when it comes to pellet grills?

4. What model of traeger do you have?

I'll second the pellet grill. Bought a mid level traeger, the one that was specifically made for sale in Costco. These pellet grills are often called an "easy bake oven" due to the ease of use, and that it can cook similar to an oven. You set a temp, and walk away, only checking temp of your meat, not so much the heat of the grill...aka the BBQ community sometimes looks down on it due to no work at all (why I like it). But what ppl fail to see is the versatility. I've slow smoked pork butt to sausages and ribs, I've baked a pie and mac and cheese (delicious with smoked chicken) and even "brick" oven pizza - buy a pizza stone and set it to high..and use it most often (2-3 days a week) for burgers and steak, sometimes fish. Anything you would cook in an oven can be cooked on the pellet grill, but adds so much flavor from the wood pellets. As to your questions:

1. I haven't had any 20-30 minute warm up time like the other poster, but it is routinely up to 15 minute warm up to 450-500. Food doesnt take longer to cook in my opinion, but does cook things more evenly. ETA: Mine came with a both porcelain and cast iron grates...so I can sear steaks and burgers easily with the cast iron.

2. I also own a propane grill if i need food faster, but honestly havent touched it in months. I just prefer the flavor better on my pellet.

3. Traeger is the face, but its not near the best. I believe Pitt Boss is the brand Lowes sells, Traeger is home depot. Rec Tech is routinely looked as the near top of the line pellet grills. Expensive tho.

Cons: As stated, the warm up time is a bit long, just have to prepare earlier. I'm not sure how rigorous you clean grills, but the traeger does need a good cleaning regularly if you use it often...think of a fireplace, burning the pellets builds ash in the bottom. You kind of have to monitor how many bags of pellets you go through and know when you should take apart and clean (on the flip side, cleaning is just using a shop vac). And speaking of pellets, you will go through a bunch if you use it regularly. In 6 months I've gone through 6 bags (?) thats pretty much a 2-3 times a week use, and 1 a month long slow smoke. The bags are more expensive than propane or charcoal for sure, but you get to choose from different brands and flavors, which is nice.

Reaction Score
I'm looking at the Weber 3 burner one that's $499. Will proly wait for a sale come end of summer. I also had a Charbroil which rotted.
I had a high end charbroil sTST ,natural gas in my previous house. It still worked .I had replaced all the ignition cables . I gifted it to the new owners.
I just bought a Webber mid range <$600 and the Webber heat distribution is much better than my old grill . It’s not STST so I doubt it will hold up as long as my last grill.
We do go through Grill Covers in AZ .
The sun is brutal .

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
1) Warmup is similar to charcoal in time - 20 to 30 minutes. But you don't have to do anything but push a button and walk away. The better models will get up to 500 degrees which is enough to sear meet. Generally things do take longer - it's just a different way to cook. Fortunately the extra time doesn't involve much or any hands on. But you do have to plan to start things in advance, kind of like the sous vide stuff from the Steak thread.

2) Overall, yes, definitely prefer the pellet grill - it just adds so much flavor no matter how you use it. In a perfect world, I would have a good gas grill as well as the pellet grill for searing or getting burgers and dogs done quickly for the kids. Pellets are more expensive than gas, so firing up a gas grill to 500+ for searing would be more cost effective.

3) Traeger is the face of pellet grills for sure - they've been doing it a long time. There are other reputable brands.

4) I have an Ironwood which is kind of the middle level for the Traeger lineup.

I love the Traeger. Should never be recommended as a straight grill though. It’s weak there.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
you can find after market "flavor bars" for Weber grills on ebay that are a heavier gauge steel than the originals. Cheaper even with shipping, last longer

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I've had a three burner Weber for 20 years. Love it.

Reaction Score
I'm running a Charmglow 3 burner with side burner. It was a house warming gift from my mother-in-law 15 years ago and built like a tank. It's so heavy that I almost didn't move it to our new house with an elevated deck. It was $399 new. I've replaced the burner tubes and heat plates 3 times over the years, the temperature gauge once and I'm on my 3rd regulator hose. Although the ignitor on one of the burners no longer works, it doesn't disappoint. Every year I have an internal argument trying to justify the need for a new grill, but routine maintenance has kept it going. I've never used a cover with it as they tend to trap corrosion-inducing moisture. None of the currently available big box grills in the $400 price point feel quite as heavy or substantial except for the maybe the Weber Spirit E310.

When the time comes, I'll likely give Monument Grills a shot.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Weber you can get parts for. Easy to maintain and clean. I wasted a lot of money on different brands till I got the Weber, so it's worth a few bucks more on the front end.
This is where any analysis of grills begins and ends: Cost of ownership. I owned a $250 Char-broil for 7 years, but only really got 5 years of use out of it before it rusted through. So call the cost of ownership $70/year (SLD over 5 years + $20 for propane).

I'll have to get through three more seasons tops (which is looking like a no brainer) and the Weber will have paid for itself and for better food product.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll also give a plug for Weber's customer service. Around ten years ago I was replacing some parts on my former Weber at some ungodly early hour on a weekend morning, like 5:30 a.m., because I was up and it needed to be done. I realized they had sent me the wrong instructions and so I went on the website to contact customer service. I don't remember whether I called or had an on-line dialogue with the customer service guy, but I remember that he was in India and he sent me a PDF with the proper instructions within minutes.

Reaction Score
Go with the Weber. Mine is ~15 years old and still going strong and I use it at least once per week all year round.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For Propane, the Weber Genesis II is hard to beat. I got mine at a local BBQ shop, because that allowed me to get the black exterior and stainless interior parts. Big box stores don't sell that model. Has been superb. Replaced another Genesis I had for 15 years, which still worked. I gave that away.

Key with Weber is that everything in it can be replaced piecemeal quite easily. Parts are everywhere.

Reaction Score
I bought a Weber Genesis in 1996 with our new custom home. Recently sold our home to our granddaughter and husband who was born 2 months later and the Weber was given with the home!!! Just bought a new Weber Spirit. If you want a grill that lasts you know what to buy.

Reaction Score
I'm a little late to the party, but I must be the only person not complaining about their CharBroil.

I've had it for 5 years, use it about 2-3 times a month between May and October, and the only issue I've had is the electronic ignition doesn't work and I have to use matches.

Reaction Score
I'm a little late to the party, but I must be the only person not complaining about their CharBroil.

I've had it for 5 years, use it about 2-3 times a month between May and October, and the only issue I've had is the electronic ignition doesn't work and I have to use matches.
I had a Char Broil for 1 day when I thought I needed to replace my charmglow that just needed a new regulator. It didn't compare in terms of build quality, durability, or heat. Sold it for what I bought it for after 1 use and bought a new regulator for the charmglow for like $10

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Since there are numerous other OT threads about the outdoors, I figured I would add to the congestion.

I am in the market for a new grill. I am looking at getting a gas grill, no charcoal, just like the ease of using gas.

I've been looking for a little while already and a couple of brands I am familiar with already.

Char-Broil- currently own an infrared model and the grates rotted out of it. Have they gotten better in the last 6-7 years.

Every big box store has there own version. Don't necessarily want to spend too much, but might be willing to go to $1000 or so.

What do you own? How long have you had it? Would you buy it again? How much was it, if willing to say?

Thanks.
Check out the Steak King line at Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops. I have the 2 burner portable for tailgating and it's extremely well built and gets screaming hot (2 IR sections). The big ones are in your price range and all stainless.
If you decide to go with a pellet grill, I love the Camp Chef brand with Green Mountain a close second. Camp Chef has a leg up with ash cleaning. Just pull a lever and it dumps into a small bucket. Their ads are a hoot too.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
Weber is a great grill. The first year I owned it a ton of Ice fell off my roof and put a huge dent in the cover. I called Weber and they sent me a brand new cover plus new grates for just the cost of shipping!I personally would not get a Spirit. The Genesis Lid cover is much heavier and overall the grill it made much better then the Spirit. I know it is more money but it is worth the difference especially if you grill often and in the winter. The heavier Lid holds the heat in much better so it is not effected by the cold weather as much.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Weber is a great grill. The first year I owned it a ton of Ice fell off my roof and put a huge dent in the cover. I called Weber and they sent me a brand new cover plus new grates for just the cost of shipping!I personally would not get a Spirit. The Genesis Lid cover is much heavier and overall the grill it made much better then the Spirit. I know it is more money but it is worth the difference especially if you grill often and in the winter. The heavier Lid holds the heat in much better so it is not effected by the cold weather as much.
Damnit! That happened to my new grill a couple years ago and I've just lived with the dent because it doesn't affect the performance. Never thought they would replace the cover! Maybe I'll give it a shot now though. Do you recall how much the shipping was?

Reaction Score
Damnit! That happened to my new grill a couple years ago and I've just lived with the dent because it doesn't affect the performance. Never thought they would replace the cover! Maybe I'll give it a shot now though. Do you recall how much the shipping was?
No it was awhile ago but the cover is very heavy. Weber could not have been nicer but they got my serial number and could see I just bought it 6 months earlier. I would not expect them to replace the Lid of an older grill.

Reaction Score
Weber 6 burner. Love it. 48” grilling surface.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom