New Gampel Court Design | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Gampel Court Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
So change the name of the state, or the University. virginia names lots of their state schools after famous Virginians...James Madison, Mary Washington, William & Mary (well not really Virginians but you get what I mean) . Jim & Geno University. Or rename Gampel. Or the new practice center. Name the court after Calhoun and the academic center after Geno. But leave the main court alone!
Damn, we just renamed the university though -- UCONN.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
One might say changing the name of the court is short sighted. Why don't we call it Nike Court since they appear to be calling all of the shots for the Athletic Department these days anyway? Change for the sake of change is just plain stupid.
Change to honor two great coaches that really built this thing and elevated the entire University is not stupid -- it's called respect.

Reaction Score
Change to honor two great coaches that really built this thing and elevated the entire University is not stupid -- it's called respect.
Hey, I'm all for changing the names of Hillside and and Stadium to Calhoun and Auriemma (or vice versa). However, you don't have to do it by disrespecting other traditions. Same thing with the new wolf logo. It only makes $en$e to Nike.

Reaction Score
Hey, I'm all for changing the names of Hillside and and Stadium to Calhoun and Auriemma (or vice versa). However, you don't have to do it by disrespecting other traditions. Same thing with the new wolf logo. It only makes $en$e to Nike.
Right. And I like Nike Court if we're changing the name. You're gonna sell out, sell out all the way.

Reaction Score
Sigh. Those AAC logos are just so bad.

Also when are we gonna name it Jim Calhoun Court?

Edit: Haha and now I see that debate's been raging for a couple pages now.

Jimmy deserves the court to be named after him. I think it'd be cool. Who's really gonna put up a fuss if they get rid of the Alumni name?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
who's really gonna put up a fuss if they get rid of the Alumni name?

Along with every other recent graduate, I've paid around or over $100,000 to the school in various ways over the years to keep the courts' named Alumni Court.

Instead of the court, name an award after the two coaches (Geno upon retirement) and give it to the player who embodies the qualities of Coach Calhoun (i.e. tenacity, exceed potential and expectations, lunchpail guy). This is not an MVP award. It's more of a 6th man or underappreciated starter award. I think both coaches would appreciate that much more than to take away an honor from those fans' whose ticket money paid their salaries for so long.

Who would be against that?

Reaction Score
Sigh. Those AAC logos are just so bad.

Also when are we gonna name it Jim Calhoun Court?

Edit: Haha and now I see that debate's been raging for a couple pages now.

Jimmy deserves the court to be named after him. I think it'd be cool. Who's really gonna put up a fuss if they get rid of the Alumni name?
Geno

Reaction Score
Looks good to me.

379572_475870835826074_936372423_n.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Looks great!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

...And the deep blue of logo, baselines, and sidelines really brings out the artistic drabness of the ceiling tiles. It's truly amazing!!! ;)

(Sorry, had to be done.)

Reaction Score
You can add seats to the building by putting two more rows behind the middle 3 sections. I sat in the last two rows for the Providence game and couldn't figure out why they didn't go all the way across the bench side of Gampel. The seats are on a wood frame so the cost is peanuts. I like the UCONN HUSKIES wrapped around the corner of the court.

Reaction Score
Freescooter, your pessimism is unmatched in these areas; therefore, I order you: "Go to hell."

You'll find some people you might get along with down there.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
At risk of being thrown in with the pessimists, I agree with those who believe the half-court words should have been flipped. I wish that I wasn't disappointed by this court, because I am the eternal optimist and I love UConn with all of my heart. But the court looks funny the way that it is now designed, if I'm being honest. I'm only commenting on the position of the words (because I don't want to join in on another logo discussion). I'm literally shaking my head at all of the misses that we've had in terms of getting simple things right...

(paging HFD.....HFD to the concierge desk, please....)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Calhoun vs. Auriemma? I got it - Calhiemma... or Auriehoun.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I think you're wrong. The trend, unfortunately has been that championships have been the private domain of the BCS powers going back a quarter of a century now. Oh from time to time a mid-major makes a run, most recently Butler, but those are pretty much short lived one time things where everything breaks just right. And where have they been since? Memphis did a few years ago, but had to cheat to do it. Championships are the exclusive domain of the majors. UConn has been left out of the club. Remember the past fondly and look forward to the days when maybe we can raise a CBI banner or another NIT, because we're not winning NCAA titles any more. Going forward this is a decidedly mid-major conference and anyone who doesn't understand that is just whistling past the graveyard. The typical AAC program doesn't draw flies. Other than Memphis and UConn, no one else draws over 10,000 per game. In fact, other than the top 4, Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, and Temple, average attendance is about 3800 a game. SMU barely gets 0ver 2000 to its games and I'm told they don't even charge for students. This is a basketball league that nobody cares about even at the schools involved. Houston which waylon and some others are touting as the program of the futrue wouldn't even sell out the old UConn Field House. Face facts Hoops, we're in basketball purgatory at best. At worst, basketball hell. How long do we remain nationally competitive at something more than the level of a Temple, when we have to sell kids on playing half their games in front of empty seats against teams that would regularly get their butts kicked by DePaul? We might be a good mid-major, maybe if things break right we have a good run now and then. But in basketball in particular, your conference is your destiny in many respects.

"Memphis did a few years ago, but had to cheat to do it."

I stopped reading right there ... pretty sure BCS schools have been known to cheat to win titles too. :p

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I just searched for the UConn Basketball clip I could find, so I apologize for it being from Notre Dame, but take a quick look at the highlights:

You can't see the UConn Huskies in the foreground on TV, so it makes sense it faces the people on the other side of the court. Also I guess they put the other ones in the corners because the camera focuses on the players/basket so you will see alot of it on TV as well (also that's where the LED boards are so it's clearly a highly-visible area).

Doesn't it make sense kinda? There are plenty of things to complain about, but I just don't think this is one.

I'm not following what you are trying to say. In the video you just provided, the word "Connecticut" is facing in the same direction as the logo (the word is right underneath the Coca-Cola ads). That's my point...

(were you trying to show something else???)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Now I'm confused haha (probably shouldn't drink this early but it's a nice day out). All I'm saying is from a "TV Visible" perspective, I understand why the court was designed the way it was.

First, it's never too early to drink. Second, the words should face the same direction as the logo. Always. Because if they don't, it makes it look like the workers didn't read the blueprints right. You don't look at a school's logo and then try to read an upside-down "SEIKSUH NNOCU" (<--- not exactly upside-down, but you get the point). It is a small thing that will not be changed anytime soon because it costs money, and it looks bush-league. Especially at a time where we need to make sure that we don't look bush-league, even if we are playing against Tulane...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
...And the deep blue of logo, baselines, and sidelines really brings out the artistic drabness of the ceiling tiles. It's truly amazing!!! ;)

(Sorry, had to be done.)
Artistic drabness?

... philistine.

CL82

Reaction Score
At risk of being thrown in with the pessimists, I agree with those who believe the half-court words should have been flipped. I wish that I wasn't disappointed by this court, because I am the eternal optimist and I love UConn with all of my heart. But the court looks funny the way that it is now designed, if I'm being honest. I'm only commenting on the position of the words (because I don't want to join in on another logo discussion). I'm literally shaking my head at all of the misses that we've had in terms of getting simple things right...

(paging HFD.....HFD to the concierge desk, please....)

et tu, Polyanna?

I'm disappointed, my friend.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Now I gotcha, but did you have the same complaint about the old court? (Stole this pic from another thread). The new court is the same but rather than have UConn Huskies at the top, underneath the scorer's table, they moved it to the corners. (And I swear this will be my last post b/c I'm starting to suffer serious college bball withdrawals, I'm just so pumped for the season).

UCWBB01.JPG

No, I didn't have the same complaint about the old court, because it also contains the word "right-side-up" above the logo. And just like you, I'm pumped up for this coming season too...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
et tu, Polyanna?

I'm disappointed, my friend.

Say it ain't so!!!

I know that on the top #100 list of things that I'm upset about over the last year, this is only like #96. But it really does look like nobody read the friggin' blue-prints, and I just want UConn to put the best image forward. That's all I'm sayin'...

CL82

Reaction Score
It's different. I waiting until I see a game or two televised before I decide.

One thing for sure is that they are shaking things up a bit.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Sadly, I think you're wrong. The trend, unfortunately has been that championships have been the private domain of the BCS powers going back a quarter of a century now. Oh from time to time a mid-major makes a run, most recently Butler, but those are pretty much short lived one time things where everything breaks just right. And where have they been since? Memphis did a few years ago, but had to cheat to do it. Championships are the exclusive domain of the majors. UConn has been left out of the club. Remember the past fondly and look forward to the days when maybe we can raise a CBI banner or another NIT, because we're not winning NCAA titles any more. Going forward this is a decidedly mid-major conference and anyone who doesn't understand that is just whistling past the graveyard. The typical AAC program doesn't draw flies. Other than Memphis and UConn, no one else draws over 10,000 per game. In fact, other than the top 4, Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, and Temple, average attendance is about 3800 a game. SMU barely gets 0ver 2000 to its games and I'm told they don't even charge for students. This is a basketball league that nobody cares about even at the schools involved. Houston which waylon and some others are touting as the program of the futrue wouldn't even sell out the old UConn Field House. Face facts Hoops, we're in basketball purgatory at best. At worst, basketball hell. How long do we remain nationally competitive at something more than the level of a Temple, when we have to sell kids on playing half their games in front of empty seats against teams that would regularly get their butts kicked by DePaul? We might be a good mid-major, maybe if things break right we have a good run now and then. But in basketball in particular, your conference is your destiny in many respects.

A word of advice... :D

Reaction Score
Freescooter, your pessimism is unmatched in these areas; therefore, I order you: "Go to hell."

You'll find some people you might get along with down there.
So show me where I'm wrong...if you argue UConn will be the exception explain why. "I like UConn and will be sad if they fail" isn't an explanation, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom