New Gampel Court Design | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Gampel Court Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
O ye of little faith!
I'm just telling you what the facts are. You are free to believe what you want to believe. Some people believe that mid-majors can still win national championships. Some people believe that you can be a major program in a mid-major conference. Some people believer Adam & Eve had pet dinosaurs. None of those are supported by the facts, but you're free to believe what you want to believe. For an example of the latter see this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Museum
You'll not find an example of the former two articles of faith.

Reaction Score
Not true, but close. The BCS has only existed for 15 years going on 16 years and UConn did not have a Div. 1A football team in 1999, when they won.

The facts in their proper context are as follows:

No Div. 1 school basketball program has won a basketball National Chapionship in 29 years ('Nova-Big East, 1985), while competing in a conference that does not also sponsor Div 1A football.

It is also a fact that no Div. 1 school has won a basketball National Chapionship and does not also sponsor Div 1A football in 15 years (UConn - 1999). These time frames are eerily similar for womens basketball (Old Dominion in the mid 80's).
You're correct. I was using shorthand to make the same point, I think. And I was using BCS in a more general sense to mean a conference that sponsored "major" college football. Bottom line, though, is that history has not been kind to programs that are not part of the club.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're correct. I was using shorthand to make the same point, I think. And I was using BCS in a more general sense to mean a conference that sponsored "major" college football. Bottom line, though, is that history has not been kind to programs that are not part of the club.
Well these are facts because they already happened. It certainly does not mean that a school from a have-not conference will not win at some point in the future or soon.

The BCS ceases to exist in its current form and I believe the playoff will soon expand (well before their publicly stated 10 year time frame). I may be hoping against hope, but I choose not to believe that the music has stopped.

Reaction Score
I think it is ridiculous it is not Jim Calhoun Court.

Other then I think it looks great.

D

Deleted member 3149

I think it is ridiculous it is not Jim Calhoun Court.

Other then I think it looks great.

Wouldn't be fair to Geno. Calhoun/Auriemma Court wouldn't sound so great.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been stumping for this solution for years:

1. Rename Hillside Road in front of Gampel "Calhoun's Way"
2. Name the court at Gampel "Hall of Fame Court"
3. When Auriema retires rename Stadium Road "Auriema Avenue"

Mandatory camera shot of the two street signs for every home game broadcast "We're here on the Hall of Fame Court in Gampel Pavilion located at the corner of Calhoun's Way and Auriema Avenue."

The new basketball practice center would eventually be on Auriema Avenue but the main drag though that part of campus is Calhoun's Way. Everybody wins.

Reaction Score
Wow scooter, I know you've taken a lot of heat for your (negative/pessimistic) opinions; and I've never felt an obligation to join the debate. But man, you need to take a pill. If you think our history can be so easily washed away, then you would have to conclude that that same history never had any true value to begin with. We are a three time national champion...10 time Big East regular season champion...seven time Big East Tournament champion. And I am not going to list the other preseason tournament championships, NBA first round picks, number of UConn players per season in the NBA etc.,etc.etc..

And you are talking about backsliding to CBI and NIT wins and status as a mid-major. Wow!!! I'm getting a visual of that down in the mouth character from Winnie The Pooh that I think I am going to add to any thread where you've made a contribution.

Welcome Eeyore!!!(I mean freescooter)
images

GO HUSKIES!!!

uconn-husky.png

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
It was named Alumni Court back in the early 70"s I believe. Why should we rename it?

Aren't you on record for pushing a name change to "Kevin Ollie Court"?

Reaction Score
It was named Alumni Court back in the early 70"s I believe. Why should we rename it?

Is this question serious? If it is please see U of Arizona, Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Purdue, UCLA, ect.

It is called recognizing and appreciating who has built the program.

Reaction Score
Wow scooter, I know you've taken a lot of heat for your (negative/pessimistic) opinions; and I've never felt an obligation to join the debate. But man, you need to take a pill. If you think our history can be so easily washed away, then you would have to conclude that that same history never had any true value to begin with. We are a three time national champion...10 time Big East regular season champion...seven time Big East Tournament champion. And I am not going to list the other preseason tournament championships, NBA first round picks, number of UConn players per season in the NBA etc.,etc.etc..

And you are talking about backsliding to CBI and NIT wins and status as a mid-major. Wow!!! I'm getting a visual of that down in the mouth character from Winnie The Pooh that I think I am going to add to any thread where you've made a contribution.

Welcome Eeyore!!!(I mean freescooter)
images

GO HUSKIES!!!

uconn-husky.png
There are lots of programs that were "powers" at one time, but when they got passed by by major conferences, they pretty quickly fell off the map. Exhibit A is new AAC member Houston. While they didn't win a title, they were a major program from the 1960s through the 1980s. Final Fours in 1967, 68, 82,83 and 84. Lost in the finals twice if I recall by NC State in a huge upset and by Georgetown in its only title. Turned out a list of stars. The 1968 team with Elvin Hayes upset the #1 UCLA Bruins with Kareem in what was the first "Game of the Century". And remember in the 1960s and 1970s, getting to the NCAA Tournament was MUCH more difficult than it is today. No such thing as at-large bids in the same sense we know them today.

Or take Holy Cross. While they weren't on that level, they were certainly on the same level as UConn and probably the 2nd best team in New England at the time of the Big East. Won an NCAA title. Won an NIT when that was considered equal in the 1950s. They elected to pass on the Big East when offered and were replaced by UConn. Now they barely register. I know you don't want to believe it, but in college basketball your conference very quickly becomes you destiny. It happens in lots of little ways. Seeding, for example. Mid-majors rarely get a top 4 seed and suddenly your road becomes much tougher. With 14 out of 18 garbage games in conference your RPI suffers and you can't make it up with non-conference games, instead of getting a top 10 ranking you find yourself topping out in the top 15 or 20. It won't be over night but it will be a slow and steady erosion of status. We very likely will end up as one of those top mid-majors, along with the Butlers and Memphises, and Gonzagas. But how many championships do they have now?

Reaction Score
Is this question serious? If it is please see U of Arizona, Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Purdue, UCLA, ect.

It is called recognizing and appreciating who has built the program.
I don't know if you get it, but without a University, there is no basketball program. Jeez. There was a decision back in the 1970s to name the basketball court Alumni Court in honor of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who attended and graduated and contributed to the growth of the school and later the State of Connecticut and the nation. There were others who contributed to the growth of the University of Connecticut besides Jim Calhoun, among them hundreds of thousands of alumni who built this state and this institution. Why is it such a problem that we should get a minor honor of having an athletic facility named collectively for us? Its called recognizing and appreciating, in a small way, the people who built the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I've been stumping for this solution for years:

1. Rename Hillside Road in front of Gampel "Calhoun's Way"
2. Name the court at Gampel "Hall of Fame Court"
3. When Auriema retires rename Stadium Road "Auriema Avenue"

Mandatory camera shot of the two street signs for every home game broadcast "We're here on the Hall of Fame Court in Gampel Pavilion located at the corner of Calhoun's Way and Auriema Avenue."

The new basketball practice center would eventually be on Auriema Avenue but the main drag though that part of campus is Calhoun's Way. Everybody wins.
Why not just rename the whole thing Calhoun University in Aurriema, Connecticut? Or how about remaning the State Calhoun-Auriema? Thenit could be University of Calhoun-Aurriema. You guys do realize that there is ohter history associated with the place, right?

Reaction Score
There are lots of programs that were "powers" at one time, but when they got passed by by major conferences, they pretty quickly fell off the map. Exhibit A is new AAC member Houston. While they didn't win a title, they were a major program from the 1960s through the 1980s. Final Fours in 1967, 68, 82,83 and 84. Lost in the finals twice if I recall by NC State in a huge upset and by Georgetown in its only title. Turned out a list of stars. The 1968 team with Elvin Hayes upset the #1 UCLA Bruins with Kareem in what was the first "Game of the Century". And remember in the 1960s and 1970s, getting to the NCAA Tournament was MUCH more difficult than it is today. No such thing as at-large bids in the same sense we know them today.

Or take Holy Cross. While they weren't on that level, they were certainly on the same level as UConn and probably the 2nd best team in New England at the time of the Big East. Won an NCAA title. Won an NIT when that was considered equal in the 1950s. They elected to pass on the Big East when offered and were replaced by UConn. Now they barely register. I know you don't want to believe it, but in college basketball your conference very quickly becomes you destiny. It happens in lots of little ways. Seeding, for example. Mid-majors rarely get a top 4 seed and suddenly your road becomes much tougher. With 14 out of 18 garbage games in conference your RPI suffers and you can't make it up with non-conference games, instead of getting a top 10 ranking you find yourself topping out in the top 15 or 20. It won't be over night but it will be a slow and steady erosion of status. We very likely will end up as one of those top mid-majors, along with the Butlers and Memphises, and Gonzagas. But how many championships do they have now?
Judging from a quick scroll up and very little research otherwise, you may have one of the worst message/like ratios on the BY. Your contributions to this thread are a clear depiction of why that may be true.

Reaction Score
Judging from a quick scroll up and very little research otherwise, you may have one of the worst message/like ratios on the BY. Your contributions to this thread are a clear depiction of why that may be true.
As Harry Truman said when folks called out "give 'em hell!" I just tell 'em the truth. They just think its hell"

Reaction Score
You know what, in the modern era, name me one program from a mid-major conference that has won the NCAA tournament? For that matter, there have only been a handful of mid-major NIT winners in the last 20 years. Even losers tournament is dominated by major conference teams. I know you are recent grad who probably has no sense of what its like to be a have not in college athletics, but despite all the sunshine Susan "Winingly winning" Herbst, and Manuel are trying to pump up your butt, we are entering a very very difficult time for UConn athletics. Maybe, if we're really lucky, we don't fall too far. and maybe we're Wichita State or Gonzaga in basketball. But htat will be really really difficult to accomplish.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why not just rename the whole thing Calhoun University in Aurriema, Connecticut? Or how about remaning the State Calhoun-Auriema? Thenit could be University of Calhoun-Aurriema. You guys do realize that there is ohter history associated with the place, right?

"Calhoun University in Aurriema, Connecticut?" That would be silly. Auriema only has one "r."

Just curious, Free, how many national championships were won by that "other history?"

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It has been Alumni Court because that is who traditionally paid for it.
Right but we didn't have two hall of fame coaches and one of them retired

Reaction Score
As Harry Truman said when folks called out "give 'em hell!" I just tell 'em the truth. They just think its hell"
Until I'm convinced that CR is complete I choose to remain optimisic that UConn will be in a conference other than The American. Until then we need to rely on our recent championship history(today's kids have grown up with UConn in the winner's circle + NBA draftees), new practice facility and our young, relatable coaching staff. Football is going to be much tougher. I hope our fans do their part.

Reaction Score
Right but we didn't have two hall of fame coaches and one of them retired
If they specifically paid for the court, it should be called Alumni Court. If not, other options could be considered as well.

Reaction Score
If they specifically paid for the court, it should be called Alumni Court. If not, other options could be considered as well.
It is called Alumni Court because the original court in the Field house was purchased by the UConn Alumni Association. In return, the board of Trustees voted to name th eCourt Alumni court in honor of the thousands of men and women who have graduated from UConn over the years. Leave it alone.

Reaction Score
Until I'm convinced that CR is complete I choose to remain optimisic that UConn will be in a conference other than The American. Until then we need to rely on our recent championship history(today's kids have grown up with UConn in the winner's circle + NBA draftees), new practice facility and our young, relatable coaching staff. Football is going to be much tougher. I hope our fans do their part.
I am with you on the first part, or at least that's what I hope happens, but if it doesn't it is going to be exceedingly difficult to be a major player anymore. You can go through a list of former "powers" who have been left out of conference realignment in the past and every one of them has struggled to retain their earlier status. Louisville, until they got picked up by the Big East,couldn't do it, Memphis couldn't do it without cheating, Houston was a pretty powerful athletic program overall, 3 consecutive final fours in basketball plus Southwest conference titles and Top 20 finsihes in football. Left out of the B-12 and they went down the tubes. And here's another example of the differences between a major conference and a mid-major. Houston finished 2011 season 13-1 and were ranked 14th. 4 schools with 3 losses were ranked ahead of them. In basketball, the final pre-NCAA poll had 2 mid-majors in the Top 15. #1 Gonzaga, and let's face it that was a fluke because they are everyone's favorite mid-major and #15 New Mexico. That is the world we're about to enter. but at least Warde enjoyed the drinks with the little umbrellas.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The only constant thing is change. To not rename the court would be shortsighted.

We need to honor Calhoun and Auriema and at the very least call the court "Hall of Fame Coaches' Court" or something like that. Plaster Calhoun and Auriema murals and banners everywhere.

Reaction Score
The only constant thing is change. To not rename the court would be shortsighted.

We need to honor Calhoun and Auriema and at the very least call the court "Hall of Fame Coaches' Court" or something like that. Plaster Calhoun and Auriema murals and banners everywhere.
So change the name of the state, or the University. virginia names lots of their state schools after famous Virginians...James Madison, Mary Washington, William & Mary (well not really Virginians but you get what I mean) . Jim & Geno University. Or rename Gampel. Or the new practice center. Name the court after Calhoun and the academic center after Geno. But leave the main court alone!

Reaction Score

One might say changing the name of the court is short sighted. Why don't we call it Nike Court since they appear to be calling all of the shots for the Athletic Department these days anyway? Change for the sake of change is just plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom