New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Freshman walk-on: Autumn Chassion [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She is a "Geno" player and sounds like she will be an integral part of the team. These are the types of young ladies Geno brings in to cement the team. They are leaders without the fanfare and one of those one or two people in the group of ten who wind up doing most of the work.

As another poster mentioned, Geno did say earlier this year that he was looking to bring in two walk-ons. He knows exactly what he's looking for, and the type of personality and ego they must have. Chassion was brought in to be a role player. She knows exactly what that entails, as did the walk-ons that preceded her.

I believe she comes in willing to do whatever is asked of her. She'll consistently work as hard as anyone on the team, and be the most vocal and animated cheerleader on the bench. Don't forget what she said in a release: "I knew that when I was presented the opportunity to play at one of the most prestigious universities and play under the best coach in women’s basketball that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I knew I had to take it”.

Lafayette Christian Academy head coach Lexie Taylor said about Chassion: “Autumn is a competitor to the core, that’s who she is. It is what she does. She competes, no matter what”.

She knows she comes in at the bottom of the depth chart. Walk-ons usually do. She's just happy and proud to be part of this team for the next 4 years. Who knows, in the next year or two, a full-ride scholarship may just manifest itself with her name on it, not to mention a national championship ring (or two). Who's not to say her skill set and understanding of the system may improve in time enough to earn meaningful minutes. She's a fierce competitor and a very intelligent player/student-athlete.

In typical UConn WBB fashion, we heard nothing about Chassion being considered by Geno as a walk-on, until the media release today. Odds are we won't hear about a second walk-on (if there is one) until an official news release to the media.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to her father, Chassion had offers from all numerous Division I schools, including a program ranked top 10 last season, as well as Divisions II and III, NAIA schools and some of the top junior colleges in the country.

I imagine she will be a nice addition to the bench and to team chemistry, but UConn fans shouldn't get excited by the above quote. I am almost certain it is misleading or inaccurate. The "offers" referred to may have for need-based aid or for some academic money - not for an athletic scholarship. The quote in the original post was from the UConn blog, but it contradicts a number of reports from her HS coach, local papers, and recruiting sites.

For example, at the end of her senior season, her HS coach said he " feels like Chassion has been overlooked by colleges due to her size, she currently has an offer on the table from LSU Eunice and has interest from other schools, including Loyola University New Orleans along with a pair of Ivy League schools." And a Louisiana recruiting site near the end of her senior year, said she had "interest from several Low Majors with offers from all other levels. " No site claimed she had any D1 offers at all, and I think that is accurate.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
... Don't forget what she said in a release: "I knew that when I was presented the opportunity to play at one of the most prestigious universities and play under the best coach in women’s basketball that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I knew I had to take it”. ...

She knows she comes in at the very bottom of the depth chart. Walk-ons usually do. She's just happy and proud to be part of this team for the next 4 years. Who knows, in the next year or two, a full-ride scholarship may just manifest itself with her name on it, not to mention a national championship ring (or two). Who's not to say her skill set and understanding of the system may improve in time enough to earn meaningful minutes. She's a fierce competitor and a very intelligent player/student-athlete.

+1

Reaction Score
And again it becomes about Paige. Oy Vey

I don't understand the Oy Vey. They are both frosh pg's. Paige was the overall number 1 recruit in America and UCONN is a supremely elite program. It's a bit funny say to a a walk-on-- 'Here you go-- 4 years guard the overall number 1 recruit in all of America," isn't it? It's a pretty tough job.

Reaction Score
I remember Stacy Maron going to UConn with the hopes of playing. She even earned a scholarship out if it. Wonder if autumn did the same?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just love when a new season comes. ;)

Any walkons named Winter, Summer. Heck, even Spring??
Yes . And here she is at her tryout. :p

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I remember Stacy Maron going to UConn with the hopes of playing. She even earned a scholarship out if it. Wonder if autumn did the same?
Fernandez also received a scholarship eventually. I believe Pulido and/or Lawler did as well. I am not sure about Czel.

Most of our championships were won with players that started out as walk-ons on the bench. They help the team remain grounded with a touch of humility, working just as hard as the scholarship players with little prospect for playing time.

Reaction Score
Both Pulido and Lawler (sp?) received scholarships. Pulido was a track athlete to start with.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Both Pulido and Lawler (sp?) received scholarships. Pulido was a track athlete to start with.
One of them thought she did not have to practice every time the team practiced since she was a walk on. It was said that Geno told her she had to practice every time the team practiced and meet the same expectations the scholarship players had to meet, or she could not be a part of the team. That was impressive to me. It let her know how important she was to the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great article, @Rings R Us . Not surprisingly, a few awesome comments by the dad regarding his visit to UCONN to watch practices:

While in Storrs, the father-daughter pair were blown away by the warm reception they received from everyone around the program.

“They’re the nicest people ever. ... We’re nobody and they take the time to come over, walk over and talk to you,” Tehmi said. “The most important coaches to me in college basketball – just revolutionary – and they take the time to come. And we’re strangers. ‘Hey, how you doing? Where do you go to school? Can you play?’ Random small talk but just chatting.”

Article goes on to say that UCONN did look at Autumn, but over time, the interest died down. Autumn mostly got interest from low-major programs. Apparently there was one top 10 program that gave her an offer, but her heart was set on UCONN - and it worked out that she was able to join as a walk on. Great kid, great family, great story - fans will ADORE her.

Assimilating with the team won’t be an issue, either. After she committed, Dailey put Autumn in touch with redshirt junior Evina Westbrook. The two hit it off immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You see what happens when we have too many players. Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon and Andra Espinoza-Hunter all left for other schools. Too much of a good thing.
My impression and just my impression.... was that AEH and Gordon thought they deserved more playing time and did not have the goods to back up what they thought they could do. If I recall correctly AEH was not really a "team" player and did what she wanted to do and not what was asked of her... Coombs was the one that really confused me. Did she transfer for her senior year? She had shown improvement.... but then she left.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just for the fun of it and in the proper spirit of this thread:

1596387338200.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My impression and just my impression.... was that AEH and Gordon thought they deserved more playing time and did not have the goods to back up what they thought they could do. If I recall correctly AEH was not really a "team" player and did what she wanted to do and not what was asked of her... Coombs was the one that really confused me. Did she transfer for her senior year? She had shown improvement.... but then she left.
Most of that does not match up with my memory. I don't recall AEH and Gordon thinking or saying they though they deserved more playing time. You may having been thinking of Sadie Edwards who did think she deserved more time and request a meeting with the coaches to discuss this prior to transferring. AEH was asked to leave the program because she repeatedly did not do what was asked of her per Geno. What is unclear was if that had anything to with on court basketball play. Number 1 rule at UCONN is be a good teammate and I don't recall AEH ever being in violation of that rule. Mikayla Coombs never got better at UCONN. She came in with a god set of tools and was expected to be a contributor since UCONN desperately needed a third guard to be part of the rotation. She started off a poor shooter, then became a reluctant shooter, and eventually because of those two things unable to help the team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Great story about Autumn....the kid is tough as nails and will definitely be a fan favorite!

Holy mackerel, she got the walk on offer last Thanksgiving! Obviously the UConn WBB Program can give security lessons to the NSA and CIA. Playing senior finals games between hospital visits!!! She'll be challenged in this program, but seems to me she has the stuff.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't understand the Oy Vey. They are both frosh pg's. Paige was the overall number 1 recruit in America and UCONN is a supremely elite program. It's a bit funny say to a a walk-on-- 'Here you go-- 4 years guard the overall number 1 recruit in all of America," isn't it? It's a pretty tough job.

They should try and boost her confidence, not destroy it. If I’m the coach, I’m trying to put her in situations that she can win and be successful. But Geno has a system were he tears the freshmen down, then builds them up. The same way they do in the military boot camps.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lexi Gordon played well for Texas Tech last year. She was the 29th ranked recruit. Maybe it was the wrong fit, but most highly recruited players don't want to be buried on the bench with little or no chance to play. There have been how many transfers in the last few years, and more to come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom