New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova

Reaction Score
The more versatile the linebackers, the better this style works and the more possibilities that open up. Charlie Strong utilized this system some at Louisville and he prized athletic linebackers that could blitz, stockpiling as many of them as he could find. Todd Orlando ran this defense at Houston last year and thrived thanks to the versatility of attack-backers Elandon Roberts (142 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, now a Steeler), Steven Taylor (92 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks), and Tyus Bowser (50 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks).
The ATTACK method for choosing linebackers

Reaction Score
We are going from Bob's hippie football to Randy's war football quite quick here. I dig this. We are headed in a very good direction. Maybe Randy can coach the hockey team, too. I expect this team to be very disciplined and aggressive, on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
CAA is legit SEC of FCS. Welcome aboard!!
Nova is serious about football, it's an FBS program in FCS clothes. They've wanted to upgrade for years but never had the money or state support.

Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a big name hire, but a very, very smart hire by HCRE. Villanova's defense was no joke my friends. Now I can see why Randy took his sweet ole time, he's creating a monstrous staff without spending too much $$$ as well. I cannot wait to see this defense. For those of you who doesn't know much about the 3-3-5 scheme, watch Todd Orlandos Houston team play. Cannot wait for 2017 season to start!!!!!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I haven't read every post on the board:

Is the staff budget "low" because of the buy out. Thus, it will be larger as each season goes by? Or is this an AAC level budget?

Reaction Score
Don't understand why so many are questioning the hire. AK tweeted that Nova had the number 1 defense in the fcs in scoring and yardage... if that were the case for the OC hire everybody would've been drooling uncontrollably.

To add to this, Nova plays in the SEC of the FCS. Top conference in that league.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why so many are questioning the hire. AK tweeted that Nova had the number 1 defense in the fcs in scoring and yardage... if that were the case for the OC hire everybody would've been drooling uncontrollably.

For me it was from an SEC OC to an FCS DC. But after looking closer, he looks like a good get.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This move makes sense. I think we are all comfortable with an Edsall defense. He can bring in someone with less experience and I still feel good about what we should see defensively on the field. He needed to hire an OC with credentials and that happened.

I am not that concerned about OL coach either. It will be Lashlee's call and they will fit with his system.

Now I am looking forward to seeing how they can salvage this recruiting class. Hopefully they find a Qb somewhere.

Reaction Score
Reading about this scheme, I feel a lot less concerned about the utter lack of DT depth heading into next season. This way, we can afford to bring Kevin Murphy along slowly and have him step in for Foley after he graduates.

In today's game I prefer rotating D-line whenever possible. Tired guys don't make as many plays and you may be selling Murphy short. He has a motor and a good low center.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I have wondered more teams haven't moved to the 3-3-5 with the way the spread has taken over the game. As others noted, with the 4-wide sets being so common we end up with lots of nickel anyway. I am guessing Foley is going to move to NT - that position is the anchor on the DL and it's pretty critical as we won't have the same beef up front. This is right up EJ's alley as well. Edsall's a smart guy, especially on the defensive side of the ball - I trust his instincts on this.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
With our DL options as thin as they are, perhaps we can turn some of those extra TEs and LS into DE? Doofus made sure we have plenty of them.

Reaction Score
HCREv1.0 ran quite a bit of 5 DB base to counter spread ooponents ... probably resembling more of a 4-2-5

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I am not familiar with this hire. What I am familiar with is HCRE's track record in hiring (see Todd Orlando). He's bringing in a young & innovative coach with an excellent track record. That's good enough for me. Now let's roll!

Reaction Score
Villanova is a private school?
Yes of course it's a private school, and so is not entitled to any regular financial assistance, but so is Yale, Harvard and Columbia, and tell me that the CT state government didn't just give state support to a another private enterprise called Sikorsky Aircraft, to stop it from leaving the state at the last minute. State support for any private enterprise can come in many different forms to help that private enterprise achieve it's goals. Now of course the chances of the state of PA ever giving some kind of support for Villanova to upgrade football are slim to none, but who knows, anything is possible.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Yes of course it's a private school, and so is not entitled to any regular financial assistance, but so is Yale, Harvard and Columbia, and tell me that the CT state government didn't just give state support to a another private enterprise called Sikorsky Aircraft, to stop it from leaving the state at the last minute. State support for any private enterprise can come in many different forms to help that private enterprise achieve it's goals. Now of course the chances of the state of PA ever helping Villanova upgrade football are slim to none, but who knows, anything is possible.

What was your point about Yale, Harvard and Columbia?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
HCREv1.0 ran quite a bit of 5 DB base to counter spread ooponents ... probably resembling more of a 4-2-5
Yes and IIRC, not long before the Fiesta Bowl, I read that RE was planning on visiting Gary Patterson at TCU to learn about his (4-2-5) defense, which had been among the best in the for about a decade at that time.

As RE's defense's here normally had a DE who was built more like a LB (whether he was or was not referred to as a 'bandit end'), the 'husky lb' was a hybrid safety/linebacker and as you stated he often played a Nicole set, I believe some adaptation of the defense RE played here, mixed in with what Crocker ran at Villanova will be what we run. Considering RE priority on tap control, I would expect to see more 4-2 fronts than 3-3 fronts but that should be easy to accommodate, especially as we will have quite a few 4-3 ends who had been listed as LB under the prior regime.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'll admit that I am not familiar with this hire. What I am familiar with is HCRE's track record in hiring (see Todd Orlando). He's bringing in a young & innovative coach with an excellent track record. That's good enough for me. Now let's roll!
This is what excites me about this hire as well. Young and innovative.

Reaction Score
Yes and IIRC, not long before the Fiesta Bowl, I read that RE was planning on visiting Gary Patterson at TCU to learn about his (4-2-5) defense, which had been among the best in the for about a decade at that time.

As RE's defense's here normally had a DE who was built more like a LB (whether he was or was not referred to as a 'bandit end'), the 'husky lb' was a hybrid safety/linebacker and as you stated he often played a Nicole set, I believe some adaptation of the defense RE played here, mixed in with what Crocker ran at Villanova will be what we run. Considering RE priority on tap control, I would expect to see more 4-2 fronts than 3-3 fronts but that should be easy to accommodate, especially as we will have quite a few 4-3 ends who had been listed as LB under the prior regime.

A perfect follow up to my thoughts!

It will be interesting to see how the new defensive staff utilizes the current roster. I have always liked Carrezola's gap discipline and Stapleton's ability to make plays in space ... but I'm not sure the current roster possesses the speed of a Trevardo Williams or Lindsey Witten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom