New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova | The Boneyard

New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
From his time at Nova:
Crocker’s recruiting areas will consist of Central and Southern New Jersey.

Last season, Crocker’s defense gave up 18.4 points per game which ranked second in the CAA and 11th nationally. The Wildcats also ranked second in the CAA in total defense at 309.1 yards per game which was good enough for 16th in the national statistics. In addition, Villanova led the CAA and ranked fourth in the country a season ago in red zone defense allowing 18 scores in 31 attempts.

Crocker guided five players to All-CAA distinction last year highlighted by senior linebacker Don Cherry and junior defensive end Tanoh Kpassganon who were named to the first team. The other three defensive honorees included senior safety Cameron McCurry, junior corner Jason Ceneus and junior linebacker Austin Calitro who were all third team members.

In 2014, Crocker’s defense gave up 22.1 points per game and led the CAA and ranked eighth nationally in rushing defense at 106.7 yards per contest. The Wildcat defense also ranked in the Top 25 in three other categories in the national statistics, including turnovers forced (17th), tackles for loss (23rd) and opponent third down percentage (25th). Under Crocker’s direction in 2014, Cherry tallied 134 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks en route to being a first team All-American and a first team All-CAA honoree. In addition, Cherry finished second in the Buck Buchanan voting for the national defensive player of the year. Three other Wildcat defenders earned All-Conference accolades last season, including senior nose guard Pat Williams and senior safety Joe Sarnese who were second team honorees and Ceneus who was a third team selection.

Crocker was honored in 2014 as the Person of the Year by The Southeastern Connecticut Chapter of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame. Crocker is a native of Waterford, Conn., and a graduate of Waterford High School.

During the 2013 season, Crocker’s defense produced five All-CAA players highlighted by senior defensive end Rakim Cox who was a first team selection and Cherry who was named second team All-Conference.

In his first year as the team’s Defensive Coordinator in 2012, the Wildcats ranked second in the CAA in scoring defense at 20.9 points per game. Crocker’s defense also produced six All-CAA performers in 2012, including three first team honorees.​

Reaction Score
Ok it has to be said. He looks to have a nice record in the FCS arena but......

It took this long to get him? Valid question.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I like that hes young. How old is Lashlee? Hire a couple of hungry, younger coaches with presumably high ceilings and put them under Edsall, the older, more experienced and since humbled head coach. In my dreams this ends in Edsall riding off into the sunset handing the reigns to RL and BC as we break into the P5 with a NY6 game. And win.

A man can dream.

Reaction Score
Defense allowed 260 ypg, 15 ppg, 30% third down conversions, 2 sacks per game, 67% Red Zoe scores, 50% Red Zone TDs, 85 tackles for loss last year in the CAA

Only losses were when the offense scored 0 or 7 points. Held JMU to their lowest score of the season

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Ok it has to be said. He looks to have a nice record in the FCS arena but.

I see your point - wonder if Randy had someone else in mind and they did not come. That being said, the CAA has wide open offenses and Nova did well. I can't remember if they played a 3-4 defense or if they brought lots of pressure.

Reaction Score
Ok it has to be said. He looks to have a nice record in the FCS arena but.

RE probably had a few candidates With so many interviews travel logistics could play a factor. Maybe he prioritized OC. Who knows? You think that two weeks was a long time?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I see your point - wonder if Randy had someone else in mind and they did not come. That being said, the CAA has wide open offenses and Nova did well. I can't remember if they played a 3-4 defense or if they brought lots of pressure.

CAA is legit SEC of FCS. Welcome aboard!!

Reaction Score
Are you asking if he was our first choice? We will never know.

He looks fine. Not worried about making a big splash on D. More worried about the o line

(In a non politically correct tone)

"Are you talkin' to me?" Was I implying he was not our first choice? Yes.....probably not our second choice either.

With Randy's defensive background and his wanting it "his way" I get it.

Just took a while to get a "could be ok" choice.

I agree that the DC is not as important as the OL coach.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom