New DC Candidate Possibilities | The Boneyard

New DC Candidate Possibilities

Reaction Score
Let me help narrow the field...

The University of Connecticut is accepting applications and nominations for the full time position of Assistant Football Coach/Defensive Coordinator.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Assist the Head Football Coach in the organization and administration of all phases of a Division 1 FBS program including game preparation and the recruitment and evaluation of prospective student-athletes; assist in monitoring academic progress and development of student-athletes; community involvement; and other program duties as assigned by the Head Football Coach.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree; minimum of eight years’ experience as a football coach at the collegiate FBS, FCS or NFL within the past 10 years; working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations; strong commitment to the academic goals of the University; and excellent organizational, teaching, communication and public relations skills.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Three years of experience as a defensive coordinator at the collegiate and/or professional level.

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 27, 2018.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this will get taken over by a more official thread but here is some guys to at least consider if we can offer money, IMHO. (Thanks for the move to the right thread mods!)

Bryan Brown - Defensive Coordinator - Appalachian State

Glenn Schumann - Linebackers Coach - Georgia

Tim Billings - Defensive Coordinator - Southern Mississippi

Adam Fuller - Assistant Head Coach - Marshall

Brian Newberry - Defensive Coordinator - Kennesaw State

Corey Heatherman - Defensive Coordinator - James Madison

David Reeves - Defensive Coordinator - UAB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does Joe Harasymiak fit the profile? More money, step up in division and working for a head coach not likely to be around more than a few years.

Don Brown? He's looking for a head coaching opportunity and that could open up in a few years.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Does Joe Harasymiak fit the profile? More money, step up in division and working for a head coach not likely to be around more than a few years.

He already took a job at Minnesota.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure it’s going to be Lyndon Johnson with that job description. He was recruiting coordinator here and meets all other requirements.
I don’t have any inside info or anything, but I’d be shocked if it was anyone else.

Reaction Score
My number one realistic choice is Lyndon Johnson.
I am pretty sure it’s going to be Lyndon Johnson with that job description. He was recruiting coordinator here and meets all other requirements.

Wouldn't make me sad... he was a recruiting animal and also a bunch of experience w/ Linebackers.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm sure this will get taken over by a more official thread but here is some guys to at least consider if we can offer money, IMHO. (Thanks for the move to the right thread mods!)

Bryan Brown - Defensive Coordinator - Appalachian State

Glenn Schumann - Linebackers Coach - Georgia

Tim Billings - Defensive Coordinator - Southern Mississippi

Adam Fuller - Assistant Head Coach - Marshall

Brian Newberry - Defensive Coordinator - Kennesaw State

Corey Heatherman - Defensive Coordinator - James Madison

David Reeves - Defensive Coordinator - UAB

My fear is that we've reached a point where moving from UAB, Marshall, App State is more of a lateral move than anything. App and UAB are legit right now and i think they can get a higher level job. I like the Kennesaw State guy, though

Reaction Score
My fear is that we've reached a point where moving from UAB, Marshall, App State is more of a lateral move than anything. App and UAB are legit right now and i think they can get a higher level job. I like the Kennesaw State guy, though

I can agree with you. I guess I was dreaming of a DC under Lashlee as a head coach. Got to stop doing that.

Kennesaw State and James Madison both had SOLID defenses the past couple of years...but so did Villanova. However, they do not run 3-3-5 schemes and both the Kennesaw coach and JMU coach seem to be decent on the recruiting trail.

I think money is going to be our biggest problem truthfully.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Edsall already has his DC in mind and DB coach as well. My guess is Johnson as DC and Lakatos as DB coach

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I can agree with you. I guess I was dreaming of a DC under Lashlee as a head coach. Got to stop doing that.

Kennesaw State and James Madison both had SOLID defenses the past couple of years...but so did Villanova. However, they do not run 3-3-5 schemes and both the Kennesaw coach and JMU coach seem to be decent on the recruiting trail.

I think money is going to be our biggest problem truthfully.

I agree that having a great FCS defense is not an assurance of transitioning well to FBS. I think that problem was pronounced with Crocker because of his strange scheme. I imagine that there's a reason virtually no FBS programs run a 3-3-5, with Rich Rod's West Virginia being the exception. Usually not a great decision to buck traditional logic so radically. I'd rather we hire a guy with experience as a DC rather than a positional coach who gets promoted, which makes FCS a better place to look. Kennesaw has had an awesome team, but Randy seems to gravitate towards guys with whom he's had a previous connection. We'll see.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yeah and Villanova was #1 when Crocker was there... how'd that work out? It doesn't always translate.

Well sure, but that doesn't mean that we should instead gravitate towards coaches who aren't performing at their current job? Seems like bad logic to say that because Crocker had an effective defense at FCS and failed that we shouldn't continue to look for coaches who are succeeding.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I imagine that there's a reason virtually no FBS programs run a 3-3-5, with Rich Rod's West Virginia being the exception.

Pretty sure SDSU runs it, imagine a few others also do. But your point is taken that it’s not a “mainstream defense” and it sure as heck didn’t work here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom