New Conference? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Because there are some UCONN fans who are fans of only one particular sport at UCONN.
Fair enough, but then why make unfounded assumptions about those sports they choose not to follow?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, you could not be more wrong. UConn is a very attractive expansion candidate. Our football 40,000 seat stadium was constructed with footings in place for easy and relatively inexpensive expansion to 55,000, which would put us in the middle of Big 12 for capacity. An even easier fix, however would be to reduce the allocated seat space at the Rent. Right now it is ample and makes for a great game day experience. If we lowered it down to be equivalent with Notre Dame or Michigan, we'd could get to 50,000 without any significant capital outlay.

For those of you who have never been, Rentschler Field is a great place to watch a college football game. The tailgating experience is first rate and the Rent itself is a great outstanding with good view from anywhere in the stadium. I highly recommend that you go see a game if you have never been. You'll enjoy it!

university-of-connecticut-rentschler-field.jpg
I hope you are right. I don't care about being wrong or right, but the main reason UCONN has been on the outside looking in on almost every expansion so far has been our football program. Believe me - I want a new conference as much as anyone. But it would seem if UCONN REALLY wanted to be taken seriously, they'd already have ponied up the funds to expand the stadium. Problem is our average attendance is about 28,000 per game (for last season) up from 27,400 the year before.

In our heyday before the Pasqualoni fiasco, we were over 38,000, so it's not like we've even shown we can get beyond a 40,000 seat stadium. Having said that, I think it would be much easier to get a full house to face Texas, Oklahoma, etc etc vs. Tulane, ECU, UCF, etc...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. I don't care about being wrong or right, but the main reason UCONN has been on the outside looking in on almost every expansion so far has been our football program. Believe me - I want a new conference as much as anyone. But it would seem if UCONN REALLY wanted to be taken seriously, they'd already have ponied up the funds to expand the stadium. Problem is our average attendance is about 28,000 per game (for last season) up from 27,400 the year before.

In our heyday before the Pasqualoni fiasco, we were over 38,000, so it's not like we've even shown we can get beyond a 40,000 seat stadium. Having said that, I think it would be much easier to get a full house to face Texas, Oklahoma, etc etc vs. Tulane, ECU, UCF, etc...

Again, it's a misconception that football is all conference realignment is about. Yes, it is by far the biggest money maker for big time athletic programs, but CR is all about money, and cable TV boxes are where the new money is and will come from in the foreseeable future of collegiate athletics. It's in that arena that UCONN has little competition from the other several schools being touted for Big 12 or any other conference expansion. We have the largest available media market to tap into on the east coast among the schools that are being considered, with no really close seconds. Yes, BYU has a national following, but even so, their national fanbase is only shown as being maybe 100,000 larger than UCONN's overall, and these conferences are looking at local media markets, not overall appeal, because they need cable subscribers in the school's own local area of influence.

The Hartford - NH media market is 30th in the country, but more importantly, Fairfield Co. isn't included in that because it's part of the NYC metro media market, which adds over a million in population from Fairfield Co. Not only are these additional potential cable TV subscribers, they're some of the wealthiest people in the entire country. They spend money on things TV advertisers sell.

The ACC thought they were getting the metro Boston market with BS College. That turned into a miserable failure for them because Boston is a pro sports town, and college allegiance there is very fragmented since there are so many schools at different levels. They could use help in the northeastern markets. The Big 10 thought they were getting NYC when they took Rutgers (dispelling the notion that only football matters, since we have run circles around the Rutgers football program, even as bad as we've been for the past few seasons). They got NJ, but NYC not so much. Even South Jersey doesn't readily identify with Rutgers. The Big 12 has no presence in the metro NYC or metro Boston markets. UCONN can put them into both of those. We already have SNY on board in NYC, and they obviously have recognized the value of having UCONN sports.

Every conference now wants its own dedicated TV network, a channel with 24/7/365 conference sporting events. They have to fill that air time with content. A school like UCONN can provide content with decent ratings in sports that would otherwise be a total afterthought for most conference networks. We still spend the same amount on athletics as many of the P5 conference schools do, and in several instances we spend more than some of them do.

And, on top of all our other positives, we win NCAA championships at a rate most other schools can only dream of.

Our football program will improve again, and we will expand the football stadium if any of these leagues invite us to join. It's a no brainer when you can attract whatever alumni base some of the major schools in other conferences have in the metro NYC and metro Boston markets. That gives the local Hartford economy a shot in the arm every fall Saturday for a UCONN home game. We will sell out games at P&W on a regular basis with teams like Michigan, Florida State or Oklahoma coming to town.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You know, there's an entire forum here dedicated to conference realignment, within which people with a huge base of knowledge on the topic could actually give you a good picture of where UConn stands. Not to be rude, but a good portion of the speculation in this thread is misinformed. Y'all could really benefit from reading some of Dooley's posts on the CR board.

Last edited:

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
UConn has a chance. But it is more likely that they'll be taking part in the deliberations next year on who the AAC should go after to replace Cincinnatti.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, but then why make unfounded assumptions about those sports they choose not to follow?
My assumptions are "founded" on personal observations, which you may consider to be subjective but they are very 'real' to me. I am a UCONN WBB and MBB fan, having lived in CT for 20 years (but not now). But, regarding football, I am an Oklahoma alum. Also my daughter is a Clemson grad - Clemson population 11,000, enrollment 20,000, football stadium 80,000. So I know what bigtime college football is, and this ain't it. And I don't see anywhere near the commitment that would be required to get there.

I would love to be wrong but, like some other posters, I don't see what the B12 would see in UCONN that would be worth sharing $20+ million a year in TV money. Plus CT in the B12 makes no sense geographically. What really makes more sense to me is UCONN in the ACC, but CT may have burned that bridge even if they did come up with a football program somehow.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
UConn has a chance. But it is more likely that they'll be taking part in the deliberations next year on who the AAC should go after to replace Cincinnatti.

Cincinnati is just another mediocre academic school, which has a large commuter component. They are overshadowed to such a degree by Ohio State that they are not even No. 1 in their own local media market. There is no way they will ever be invited to join the B10 because Ohio State will torpedo them. That leaves the SEC (not happening), ACC (half or more of it's members are still holding their noses about admitting Louisville) and the Big 12. They do have some shot at the B12 as a travel partner with West Virginia, but they can't deliver the media market and value needed to enhance the Big 12's overall value to the networks.

The Bearcats are in the mix, but the B12 does better with UCONN and BYU.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
My assumptions are "founded" on personal observations, which you may consider to be subjective but they are very 'real' to me. I am a UCONN WBB and MBB fan, having lived in CT for 20 years (but not now). But, regarding football, I am an Oklahoma alum. Also my daughter is a Clemson grad - Clemson population 11,000, enrollment 20,000, football stadium 80,000. So I know what bigtime college football is, and this ain't it. And I don't see anywhere near the commitment that would be required to get there.

I would love to be wrong but, like some other posters, I don't see what the B12 would see in UCONN that would be worth sharing $20+ million a year in TV money. Plus CT in the B12 makes no sense geographically. What really makes more sense to me is UCONN in the ACC, but CT may have burned that bridge even if they did come up with a football program somehow.
Well, okay. I meant that post to express only general frustration, and while I honestly intended no offense toward any posters in particular, I certainly can see why it might be taken that way. I apologize to anyone who was offended.

You're right, of course, that UConn football isn't Oklahoma football or Clemson football. I don't think anyone is claiming that it is. But more to the point, it doesn't have to be. As UConnNick accurately stated a few posts up, conference realignment is not primarily about football anyway. It's about money. The Big 12's present course is unsustainable because it is falling significantly behind the Big 10 and SEC in terms of revenue generation. If it maintains the status quo, the Big 12 will ensure its own demise. This is why David Boren at OU is pushing so hard to expand and get a conference network up and running. And if they're looking to start a network, UConn brings substantial value for reasons that, again, UConnNick thoroughly explained in his post. The bottom line is that on-field performance and (especially) geography don't drive conference realignment, at least not anymore and not for conferences that know what they're doing. If those things were most important, why did the Big 10 ever invite Rutgers? Far more important in the big picture of things are networks, markets, and cable boxes. That is what makes UConn uniquely attractive as a potential conference addition, and I'm sure it's the reason why UConn is reportedly on the Big 12's short list of possible expansion candidates.

As Stairmaster said, there is an incredible amount of information over on the CR board for anyone interested in all this stuff.

Reaction Score
This discussion probably will go on forever. Yes, it's about money and yes, it's also about football. If I had to guess (in an uneducated way), I would say all that lobbying would get Cincinnati one of the seats if the BIG12 decides that yes, it really does need 12 teams.

As for me, if I were the Big12, I would look at BYU before I would look anywhere else for that Big 12th seat. Here's the thing: All the UConn bluster about carrying the New York market simply does not ring true to me. If UConn were located in Fairfield, I'd buy the argument. As it is, I suspect that most people in New York, and probably a fair number in Fairfield County, too -- woul hav to consult a map to figure out the best way to get to Storrs.

In fact, it seems to me that UConn has a better claim on the Boston market, which is closer to Storrs than New York City is. Except, of course, that Boston has other teams to follow and does not care one whit about UConn. I look at those 6th Borough ads scattered around New York, and as a communications guy, I admire the execution and the simplicity of message and then I ask, "Really?" They are aspirational rather than factual, and I doubt that many New Yorkers who see them -- if they even understand the point of them -- would agree with their premise.

But never fear, UConn has locked up the Greater Willimantic TV market for sure.

Don't get me wrong: I hope UConn can overcome its sad history of hubris and poor diplomatic decisions and finds a grown-up conference to attach itself to. I just think that at best, UConn is third choice for two Big12 seats.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

I'm only half joking when I say, "You've met people on the Internet, right?"

Reaction Score
This discussion probably will go on forever. Yes, it's about money and yes, it's also about football. If I had to guess (in an uneducated way), I would say all that lobbying would get Cincinnati one of the seats if the BIG12 decides that yes, it really does need 12 teams.

As for me, if I were the Big12, I would look at BYU before I would look anywhere else for that Big 12th seat. Here's the thing: All the UConn bluster about carrying the New York market simply does not ring true to me. If UConn were located in Fairfield, I'd buy the argument. As it is, I suspect that most people in New York, and probably a fair number in Fairfield County, too -- woul hav to consult a map to figure out the best way to get to Storrs.

In fact, it seems to me that UConn has a better claim on the Boston market, which is closer to Storrs than New York City is. Except, of course, that Boston has other teams to follow and does not care one whit about UConn. I look at those 6th Borough ads scattered around New York, and as a communications guy, I admire the execution and the simplicity of message and then I ask, "Really?" They are aspirational rather than factual, and I doubt that many New Yorkers who see them -- if they even understand the point of them -- would agree with their premise.

Don't get me wrong: I hope UConn can overcome its sad history of hubris and poor diplomatic decisions and finds a grown-up conference to attach itself to. I just think that at best, UConn is third choice for two Big12 seats.

I disagree with most of what you say - other than football is huge.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You know, there's an entire forum here dedicated to conference realignment, within which people with a huge base of knowledge on the topic could actually give you a good picture of where UConn stands. Not to be rude, but a good portion of the speculation in this thread is misinformed. Y'all could really benefit from reading some of Dooley's posts on the CR board.

This thread is like the training wheels version of the realignment board.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Don't get me wrong: this is tripe.

Thanks for posting, though.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

If UCONN is so irrelevant in NYC, then why has one of the NYC cable sports channels (SNY) bought UCONN sports content, in a major way? Apparently SNY doesn't think Storrs is too far away geographically for its viewers to care, and their advertisers are happy enough to keep promoting UCONN sports in the NYC area, which is loaded with UCONN alums.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Again, disagree. UConn's football program has had one bad coaching hire but otherwise has been successful. Strongly encourage you to read the conference realignment thread. There are a lot more things in play than how well a schools football program is doing in any one year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All the UConn bluster about carrying the New York market simply does not ring true to me.
Perhaps because the phrase "carrying the New York market" doesn't mean anything. You are the only person I've seen use it.

Connecticut has about a million citizens who reside within the NYC DMA.
Our presence in the NYC DMA give the opportunity for a future Big 12 network to on the first tier and be included in basic packages. Thus every household the NYC DMA would be charged for the Big 12 conference. That is incredibly valuable and is exactly the reason why Rutgers, which is also not located in the NYC DMA, but has about 3 million residents in it, was chosen for the Big 10. It certainly was not for athletic department prowess.

I encourage you read the conference realignment board if you'd like more detail.

Reaction Score
Because there are some UCONN fans who are fans of only one particular sport at UCONN.

Let us be serious. By your logic, Uconn should, already, be in a PC because it seems to be equal to half the teams living at the bottom of many PC! Also, TX had, I believe a dismal season this (and last ) year- not unlike Uconn. Are these 2 schools comparable as FB schools? The only problem the B12 will solved is the money issue. Travelling and all others will be the same, plus we will be the beggars. Completely powerless. Realistically, I doubt that an offer is coming. They will play it safe- UC and some other (not Uconn) from the AAC. Can't say I will cry. Worrisome, yes. Game changing for us, yes.

Reaction Score
The Tuesday trip to meet the president got a good 30 seconds coverage in the news segment of NYC evening news broadcasts. Didn't see anything about Rutgers, Syracuse, St. John's, ND, Stonybrook, NYU, or Columbia.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Let us be serious. By your logic, Uconn should, already, be in a PC because it seems to be equal to half the teams living at the bottom of many PC! Also, TX had, I believe a dismal season this (and last ) year- not unlike Uconn. Are these 2 schools comparable as FB schools? The only problem the B12 will solved is the money issue. Travelling and all others will be the same, plus we will be the beggars. Completely powerless. Realistically, I doubt that an offer is coming. They will play it safe- UC and some other (not Uconn) from the AAC. Can't say I will cry. Worrisome, yes. Game changing for us, yes.

I'm not quite sure how raising athletics revenue from TV by close to 18 million leaves us in the "beggar" category, unless you're referring to our relative power within a P5 conference to effect any policy making among the members. Frankly, I'd rather take the money and put up with beggar status than be the king of the have nots in the AAC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This thread is like the training wheels version of the realignment board.

It's really pretty funny. For perspective, in relation to a basketball board, it would be like people asking:
"Why do teams get three points some of the time when the orange ball goes through that ring?"

Reaction Score
Kind of ironic that - and no disrespect to Texas fans - the Longhorn Network (at the time of founding, a landmark deal) would prove to be the thorn in the TV market-side of the B12 trying to go big time, to secure a TV/network deal, a conference championship, etc.

Reaction Score
What's also interesting, and can get forgotten sometimes on a WCBB board, is that if the Big12 takes UConn, it will have everything to do with football and TV markets, and nothing to do with WCBB. BUT from a general sports perspective, the tertiary effects on UConn WBB could be more important, and carry more cultural capital.

Reaction Score
It's really pretty funny. For perspective, in relation to a basketball board, it would be like people asking:
"Why do teams get three points some of the time when the orange ball goes through that ring?"

Though to be fair, sometimes the CR board amounts to: "My cousin's dog walker's wife saw YYY making plane reservations for XXX. It is CLEAR proof that 3-pointers are going to become 4-pointers."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Again, disagree. UConn's football program has had one bad coaching hire but otherwise has been successful. Strongly encourage you to read the conference realignment thread. There are a lot more things in play than how well a schools football program is doing in any one year.
Well I guess we will just have to wait and see. If UCONN were so desirable as you seem to want to believe, we'd already be in a new conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom