New commit for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It is.

My friend worked for admissions at Montverde for four years. Schools like Montverde and IMG have legit talented teams, but then also have several "developmental programs" (the verbiage is different for each school) that churn out a wide variety of talent from D1 level to kids who will never play in college.

For example, at my school now, a seventh grader on my basketball team might go to IMG for high school to "play sports". He's probably the fifth best basketball player on my not very good basketball team in a very uncompetitive independent school conference AKA he wouldn't come close to making a varsity basketball team at any public HS from the FCIAC.

BUT, his parents are capable check writers and he's a smart enough kid (below average kid at our relatively competitive school) who IMG could add to go to their high school to try to legitimize their school as a real HS and the IMG local looks great on the bloated ego of the parents.
Your hoops team doesn’t happen to play in the Fairchester Athletic Association?

Reaction Score
Your hoops team doesn’t happen to play in the Fairchester Athletic Association?
Correct, but we don't have a HS.

For middle school sports, I believe it's divided into two subcategories, a high and a low (maybe a third one too), and ADs self-assign their teams respective to how good they think their team will be. For example, we're a pretty good soccer school and we usually play against the top teams in the conference, often winning a majority of our games. One year, our basketball team was stacked and we went undefeated (won every game by 10+, one kid started at Greenwich High and another played D3) in the top division, however most years we're pretty dreadful. Our softball/baseball teams will always be in the lower division.

Overall, my school has an "everybody participates and no cuts" athletic philosophy, which I don't mind. I want to win, but my administration puts no pressure on me to win games...it's better the kids have fun and lose every game than we win every game and I act like Bob Knight on the bench. That philosophy fits my profile anyways, I have a ton of fun, try to teach the kids a lot and coach every season. The good athletes get their competition in AAU and club teams, anyways.

Reaction Score
Correct, but we don't have a HS.

For middle school sports, I believe it's divided into two subcategories, a high and a low (maybe a third one too), and ADs self-assign their teams respective to how good they think their team will be. For example, we're a pretty good soccer school and we usually play against the top teams in the conference, often winning a majority of our games. One year, our basketball team was stacked and we went undefeated (won every game by 10+, one kid started at Greenwich High and another played D3) in the top division, however most years we're pretty dreadful. Our softball/baseball teams will always be in the lower division.

Overall, my school has an "everybody participates and no cuts" athletic philosophy, which I don't mind. I want to win, but my administration puts no pressure on me to win games...it's better the kids have fun and lose every game than we win every game and I act like Bob Knight on the bench. That philosophy fits my profile anyways, I have a ton of fun, try to teach the kids a lot and coach every season. The good athletes get their competition in AAU and club teams, anyways.
My son is now in high school, but played at a FAA middle school. Covid negated his 8th grade season, unfortunately. The school’s AD had the same phiosophy as yours and I had no problem with it. The challenge was that some kids on the roster were really serious about basketball and others not so much. The other thing that was crazy to me was how in middle school, one kid could completely take over a game. There was a kid at Ripp-Cisqua a few years ago and who would dominate and dropped 40 on my son.

Reaction Score
There was a kid at Ripp-Cisqua a few years ago and who would dominate and dropped 40 on my son.
Dude, Ripp-Cisqua is pretty average in their other sports, but they are monsters in basketball. This year, my poor 7th/8th grade boys' team had just one 8th grader on the team and Ripp's team looked like a bunch of 16 year olds...their shortest player was taller than my tallest player (and he's like 5'9). They beat us so bad this year that they stopped counting their points and even with that, we lost 27-70.

Another year, I covered the 5th/6th grade girls' coach who was sick for a game at New Canaan Country School. They had like a 5'7 girl who would play at the halfcourt line (no press allowed) of their 1-3-1 zone and scored like 20 points just from steals to transition layups. At the end of the 3rd quarter, we were losing 32-2 and I go to the coach what is she still doing in the game? and his response was she's a sixth grader, she's allowed to be in the game, meanwhile I'm looking at his seven player bench and wondering when those girls will play. I reported the coach to my AD and their AD sent me a personal apology at the end of season, even notifying me that coach would no longer coach at their school. Crazy stuff, feel free to PM with me to share any other FAA war stories.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Johnson doesn't have a Verbal Commits profile, but at least he has some recruiting information from New England Recruiting Report:

According to the website, Johnson is ranked as the 25th best '22 prospect from CT, which FWIW, is ranked higher than CCSU commit TJ Holloway.

For a walk on, it seems like he's got some talent and it definitely helps us with bringing in Papa Kante or Tafara Gapare, sounds like a win-win for UConn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Guess is it’s a favor to Chill and helps in our positioning for 23’ recruit Papa Kante. He’s not a scholarship player here.

Reaction Score

Not highly rated. Can't find much about him. Must be a preferred walk on.

Andre Johnson Jr. (2022) 6’4 combo guard, South Kent School (CT) - An athletic and skilled combo guard who is a big time scorer and makes big time shots. He scores in bunches and can play on and off the ball. Elite shooter who has deep range and scores from all three levels. ‘A bucket’. He likes to create for teammates, rebounds well for the guard position and is a willing defender. He is a gym rat with a high IQ.

Reaction Score
Can these two new commits get a one year scholarship or the promise of being only covered for one year? No guarantee their second year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom