New commit for UConn? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

New commit for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My son is now in high school, but played at a FAA middle school. Covid negated his 8th grade season, unfortunately. The school’s AD had the same phiosophy as yours and I had no problem with it. The challenge was that some kids on the roster were really serious about basketball and others not so much. The other thing that was crazy to me was how in middle school, one kid could completely take over a game. There was a kid at Ripp-Cisqua a few years ago and who would dominate and dropped 40 on my son.
Speaking of Greenwich High and the FAA. The best female player in the state is MacKenzie Nelson. Was the best player in the FCIAC as a freshmen. But, the Fairchester league recruits as much now as the Catholic schools. She is at St.Luke's now and will be verballing to a pretty good D1 school, probably this summer.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, a kid just a few days ago posted an edit along with an Instagram post saying he's committing to UConn, followed shortly by him deleting the post and saying that Hurley doesn't want walk-ons posting these announcements. Then today another walk-on does the exact same thing?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, a kid just a few days ago posted an edit along with an Instagram post saying he's committing to UConn, followed shortly by him deleting the post and saying that Hurley doesn't want walk-ons posting these announcements. Then today another walk-on does the exact same thing?
Unless maybe there was an agreement for this guy to do it first, I don’t know it’s strange.

4AEE9D71-FF54-4816-9D20-70978B8CEFEA.jpeg

I thought this was interesting given that he’s a walk on to UConn.

Reaction Score
Unless maybe there was an agreement for this guy to do it first, I don’t know it’s strange.

View attachment 76625
I thought this was interesting given that he’s a walk on to UConn.
He had offers from Michigan, Xavier, and academic scholarship offers from Brown and Columbia - and still chose to walk on at UConn? Damn, he must have grown up as a huge UConn fan

CL82

Reaction Score
He had offers from Michigan, Xavier, and academic scholarship offers from Brown and Columbia - and still chose to walk on at UConn? Damn, he must have grown up as a huge UConn fan
I don’t know how much faith to put in those things. It may be as simple as he was contacted by those schools. It may be as simple as those were the schools he was interested in.

caw

Reaction Score
He has a really nice looking shot. Highlights don't show much of anything else.

Reaction Score
To win in basketball you need a Johnson . Now we have another Johnson If only he was 7 foot tall then we would have a big
johnson

Reaction Score
Sometimes, based on performance, walk-ons have been given full scholarships, and it has happened before at UConn.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Gonna happen next year in baseball with Norwalk’s own Korey Morton
That is not remotely the same thing as basketball. Basketball has 13 scholarships for a 13 player roster, baseball has 11.7 scholarships for a 35 player roster

Reaction Score
That is not remotely the same thing as basketball. Basketball has 13 scholarships for a 13 player roster, baseball has 11.7 scholarships for a 35 player roster
Why are there so few scholarships for baseball?

CL82

Reaction Score
Why are there so few scholarships for baseball?
NCAA rule. I think the theory behind it is it makes fielding teams more affordable for smaller universities since they don’t have to offer a scholarship to every player.

For what it’s worth, I believe the NCAA is currently discussing eliminating scholarship limitations. On one hand it’s a good thing for student athletes since at larger schools every kid will get a scholly, but on the other hand it will likely widen the gulf between the haves and the have nots, causing smaller schools to offer less sports.

pj

Reaction Score
on the other hand it will likely widen the gulf between the haves and the have nots, causing smaller schools to offer less sports.

Or downgrade to Division 2. We might see more sports adopt the FBS/FCS split like in football to let the have-nots compete against each other on a more even playing field.

CL82

Reaction Score
Or downgrade to Division 2. We might see more sports adopt the FBS/FCS split like in football to let the have-nots compete against each other on a more even playing field.
It’s an interesting choice isn’t it? Do you maintain the same number of sports at a lower level or do you reduce the total number of sports and compete only on those which are, if not revenue producing, at least somewhat subsidized by the gate?

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
Is this a player that played at Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx? Vern Giscome's school.

Reaction Score
Is this a player that played at Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx? Vern Giscome's school.
From Bristol, CT. Played at South Kent. Not sure if he ever played at Cardinal Hayes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom