New Clingan Video | The Boneyard

New Clingan Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Tough to judge with a kid so big compared to his competition, but I'm sort of looking for plays where it wasn't just a result of him being bigger than everyone. Seems like his footwork has improved since this winter when I saw him play. A few different 1 dribble moves throughout the video is promising. Couple of step throughs, a dribble drop a few times, dribbles to the weak side through the lane once. Not bad. A few decent passes too. Competition still not top-notch but at least one of the teams (NH Heat) are no slouches. Couldn't tell who the others were.

Looks all of 7'2 260 like they say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love that he raises his arms and his hands are already at the rim!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Tough to judge with a kid so big compared to his competition, but I'm sort of looking for plays where it wasn't just a result of him being bigger than everyone. Seems like his footwork has improved since this winter when I saw him play. A few different 1 dribble moves throughout the video is promising. Couple of step throughs, a dribble drop a few times, dribbles to the weak side through the lane once. Not bad. A few decent passes too. Competition still not top-notch but at least one of the teams (NH Heat) are no slouches. Couldn't tell who the others were.

You say tough to judge him then, judge him, and then finish up with he isn't playing top competition. Let's call a spade a spade here. Other than him being a legit 7 2 and seemingly can put on strength, there is nothing to take from really any of his tape that exists currently.

No one has any idea how he is going to perform until he plays people his size or people who are more talented than him. The thing going for him is his weight, he wasn't sprinting up and down the floor in those clips so no idea what type of shape he is in. As I said in a previous thread, he could turn into an all american but it's going to be hard playing Farmington Public...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@husky429 Are you troubled by his tendency to bring the ball down in the low post?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You say tough to judge him then, judge him, and then finish up with he isn't playing top competition. Let's call a spade a spade here. Other than him being a legit 7 2 and seemingly can put on strength, there is nothing to take from really any of his tape that exists currently.

No one has any idea how he is going to perform until he plays people his size or people who are more talented than him. The thing going for him is his weight, he wasn't sprinting up and down the floor in those clips so no idea what type of shape he is in. As I said in a previous thread, he could turn into an all american but it's going to be hard playing Farmington Public...
Where to even begin....

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score

Not this again...

Reaction Score
I trust the staff on this one. Bringing down the ball and footwork is teachable. Putting on muscle and improving stamina is the reason why we have full time strength and conditioning coaches.

7'2" is something you can't teach or work on.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
This is a place where we discuss hoop if you dont like it you can go gossip on other things. Maybe beer or pizza.
I was wondering why you guys wouldn't shut up about UConn on my favorite CT beer and pizza Blog

If you want to discuss hoops though, hes a 7' 2" homegrown talent whose *cough* family reads the boneyard*cough* . He's also 16 and been this tall for a couple weeks, cut him some slack of hes not the perfect prototype. He may be looking to come to college to learn and develop his game?

Reaction Score

Well, this is what the Michigan State fan website had to say about him, and why they like him and want him over there.

He does not look skinny in their video, and his footwork looked okay to me, after he got the ball. I know he is 7'2," but he did block shots. Not every center is a shot blocker, just because they are taller than the other players. You still have to have the proper timing.

Reaction Score
Not this again...

I don't ignore people often because it can make threads tough to read. I recommend it here. He's unwilling to recognize that being 7'2 260lbs is a huge asset in basketball--one that is obviously more than enough to overcome the concerns with conditioning and competition level at this stage. He wants to talk basketball but ignores facts. The offers will continue to speak for themselves, no matter what any of us boneyard keyboard coaches say.

We should all be excited about talented local players. Going to hoophall and comparing notes on here with guys like @Ricker is a real pleasure. People in Middletown at the YMCA still play videos of a young Drummond. I know the coaches appreciate a heads up on young talent too.

This is assuming you're responding to the poster I think you are. Otherwise feel free to ignore ME lol

Reaction Score

This video is so much more promising than his last set of AAU highlights.. Looks much more mobile, nice drop steps off of the dribble, finishing strong, not fading away or avoiding contact - he goes through people this time. I echo all the sentiments above, competition looked much stronger as well.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I don't ignore people often because it can make threads tough to read. I recommend it here. He's unwilling to recognize that being 7'2 260lbs is a huge asset in basketball--one that is obviously more than enough to overcome the concerns with conditioning and competition level at this stage. He wants to talk basketball but ignores facts. The offers will continue to speak for themselves, no matter what any of us boneyard keyboard coaches say.

We should all be excited about talented local players. Going to hoophall and comparing notes on here with guys like @Ricker is a real pleasure. People in Middletown at the YMCA still play videos of a young Drummond. I know the coaches appreciate a heads up on young talent too.

This is assuming you're responding to the poster I think you are. Otherwise feel free to ignore ME lol
You do not have to convince me about a 7' 2" 16 year old raised in connecticut who has a good attitude. Bring him in

Reaction Score
Well, this is what the Michigan State fan website had to say about him, and why they like him and want him over there.

He does not look skinny in their video, and his footwork looked okay to me, after he got the ball. I know he is 7'2," but he did block shots. Not every center is a shot blocker, just because they are taller than the other players. You still have to have the proper timing.

I think he'll be a positional shotblocker (like Carlton) more than a natural one (Brimah). Right now he's getting the blocks bc he's gigantic, not so much because of great timing or anything. At least it looks that way... he's usually making contact with the ball pretty low, not reaching at the apex of the shot.

Hurley doesn't seem to prioritize blocks at the 5. Javonte Brown Ferguson, Sanogo, and Clingan are all just okay shotblockers. He seems to really prioritize wing shotblockers though. Akok, Johnson, even Sid when he was at URI. Makes sense considering he wants to hedge or double 1/5 ball screens. Which means the wings are required to help under the basket

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Seems to have a solid left hand too. Put a couple in lefty and also blocked a few shots with his left hand.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I was wondering why you guys wouldn't shut up about UConn on my favorite CT beer and pizza Blog

If you want to discuss hoops though, hes a 7' 2" homegrown talent whose *cough* family reads the boneyard*cough* . He's also 16 and been this tall for a couple weeks, cut him some slack of hes not the perfect prototype. He may be looking to come to college to learn and develop his game?
A lot of current players who destroyed in game threads read the board that hasn’t stopped anyone from being critical and it shouldn’t.

Absolutely agree that he is still coming into his size etc. My only real criticism is he needs to play the best talent he can find because especially for a big he can rely on his height for so long that it stunt his basketball development. I’m not saying that’s happening to him or going to happen to him but the competition he plays is abysmal compared to where he is trying to go.

Reaction Score

Yeah I recently took everyone off ignore because it was making threads tough to read. This seems as good a time as any to start the list up again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom