New Bowl Projection | Page 15 | The Boneyard

New Bowl Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Logically December 26 is a tough travel day for anyone. My hope is that when the conference aligned with St Pete they agreed that they would throw them the occasional bone (USF) and will do so this year (as their fan base would be far more able to make this game than any other).

Reaction Score
Does the band travel for the game?

I know I'm a contrarian on this. But my kids are teenagers now. We have traveled a bunch around the holidays and have had "Christmas" early or late with grandparents etc. Once you are past being wedded to Santa and presents under the tree, being constrained against travel because "we have had dinner at 3pm for the past 30 years" just doesn't make sense to me.

The expense thing is very real around the holidays in Florida. Usually have to rely on points / FFM to bring down the expense.

The band always travels for the bowl games. When I was with the band, I went to the International Bowl and I would have gone to the Meineke Car Care Bowl if I didn't get mono.

I'm sure a lot of the band kids are excited, but I am sure that some of the parents are not as happy. It was very hard shortly after I graduated to get to my parents for Christmas.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Logically December 26 is a tough travel day for anyone. My hope is that when the conference aligned with St Pete they agreed that they would throw them the occasional bone (USF) and will do so this year (as their fan base would be far more able to make this game than any other).

A USF team playing in their home town area the day after Christmas makes too much sense.

Reaction Score
The absolute killer is the 11:00 a.m. start. If you are going to have game the day after christmas, give it a later start. So stupid.
It makes perfect sense when you realize that the only reason the game exists is to fill a live sports slot on ESPN the day after Christmas. I'll bet the director is already figuring out how to minimize the number of shots that show there are only 10,000 people in the stands. He should talk to the director of Tampa Bay Rays baseball games because he faces that same problem 81 times per year.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
10k might even be a stretch, given the schools, time, and location of stadium.

Reaction Score
pepband99 said:
10k might even be a stretch, given the schools, time, and location of stadium.

It absolutely will be a stretch. 11:00 a.m. the day after Christmas. Just stupid.

Reaction Score
Latest ESPN bowl projections

Boca Raton Bowl

FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, Florida
7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 22 (ESPN)

Schlabach: UConn vs. Northern Illinois
McMurphy: Temple vs. Toledo

---------

St. Petersburg Bowl
Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida
11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 26 (ESPN)

Schlabach: Marshall vs. Temple
McMurphy: Marshall vs. UConn

• Noon ET: College Football Playoff Selection Day show on ESPN
  • 3 p.m. ET: New Year's Six games and game time for semifinals are announced
  • 3-7 p.m. ET: Rest of bowl matchups will be announced

Reaction Score
I like that Northern Illnois match up. They are in their 4th starting QB who is a true freshman. He would most likely start if #3 isn't back in time for the bowl game.

Reaction Score
Latest ESPN bowl projections

Boca Raton Bowl

FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, Florida
7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 22 (ESPN)

Schlabach: UConn vs. Northern Illinois
McMurphy: Temple vs. Toledo

---------

St. Petersburg Bowl
Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida
11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 26 (ESPN)

Schlabach: Marshall vs. Temple
McMurphy: Marshall vs. UConn

• Noon ET: College Football Playoff Selection Day show on ESPN
  • 3 p.m. ET: New Year's Six games and game time for semifinals are announced
  • 3-7 p.m. ET: Rest of bowl matchups will be announced
3 to 7? They stretch out of the bowl announcements over four hours. ESPN really knows how to milk it.

Reaction Score
77 teams reach six wins, 3 5-win teams to play in bowls
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...3-5-win-teams-to-play-in-bowls-165037893.html

>>Coming into Saturday’s slate of games, there were 75 bowl-eligible teams to fill 80 slots. That number was bumped up to 77 with wins from Kansas State and Georgia State, leaving the final three spots to be filled by Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State – the three five-win teams with the highest Academic Progress Rate scores.<<

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a bummer if it's the St. Pete Bowl. No way I would be able to make that with a 11am start.

Even worse, playing Marshall. Is there a lower-rent program to play?

Reaction Score
Also, in case anyone was trying to check with the bowl's website "stpetersburgbowl.com" leads to a bunch of ads that are obviously malware.

Reaction Score
3 to 7? They stretch out of the bowl announcements over four hours. ESPN really knows how to milk it.

That and a 3-hour pre-selection show. SMH

Reaction Score
Had no issues...?

I've got both Adblocker Plus and Ghostery on...hmmmm. Perhaps I should try a different browser?

EDIT: Hmmm, looks like the website just fixed itself. Probably was updating or something for the teams.

Reaction Score
I was hoping to make bowl game and can't get to this one. But for me, the real importance of the bowl game was to get the extra practices, reward seniors, get to a bowl location where we can do some recruiting and get us back towards BIGger and better days. I can live with not going. I'll buy and donate instead.

Reaction Score
I cringe when I look at C-USA... I figured this would happen so I'm not surprised. But I'm just glad the team gets those extra practices. I won't be able to go to the game, the family will be over for Christmas. The early start time will hurt attendance.

Reaction Score
I was hoping to make bowl game and can't get to this one. But for me, the real importance of the bowl game was to get the extra practices, reward seniors, get to a bowl location where we can do some recruiting and get us back towards BIGger and better days. I can live with not going. I'll buy and donate instead.

Agree - first one missed for me. Is what it is - no sense whining.

Reaction Score
I cringe when I look at C-USA... I figured this would happen so I'm not surprised. But I'm just glad the team gets those extra practices. I won't be able to go to the game, the family will be over for Christmas. The early start time will hurt attendance.
The early start time will hurt my viewing. I'll be in the car headed to the in-laws for Christmas. 1st half probably in the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom