New Bowl Projection | Page 13 | The Boneyard

New Bowl Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually the answer to better flights is Boca. MCO is Disney in January which means high fares and higher priced car rentals. Boca is within an hour or so of PBI, FLL, and MIA which have many direct flights from BDL. Not that either is an impossible drive from anywhere in FL.

Date and opponent will affect ticket sales more than anything else. 22nd vs ateam like Arizona St beats Dec 26th vs a team like GA Southern or Toledo.
Actually the answer to better flights is Boca. MCO is Disney in January which means high fares and higher priced car rentals. Boca is within an hour or so of PBI, FLL, and MIA which have many direct flights from BDL. Not that either is an impossible drive from anywhere in FL.

Date and opponent will affect ticket sales more than anything else. 22nd vs ateam like Arizona St beats Dec 26th vs a team like GA Southern or Toledo.
My father has lived in West Palm Beach area for years. Beyond being an awful area to visit, save the beaches, we found the flights to PBI quite expensive. FLL was a little better. Orlando was always the cheapest. Of course, we were taking our kids so it was always February vacation

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 9:46am via TweetDeck
Cincinnati will play in Hawaii Bowl, sources told @espn. Bearcats will play Mountain West team on Dec. 24

TomGroeschen 9:47am via TweetDeck
Hearing Hawaii a likely bowl game for#UC Dec. 24, from #Bearcats sources. @McMurphyESPN also noting that, citing sources.

A bit of good and bad news for Cinci fans. Getting out to Hawaii on Christmas Eve is next to impossible; there will be absolutely zero expectation that their fans travel to this game. Which might all be moot anyway if they are already ticketed for the B12 with Houston.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Is there any timetable for an announcement? And god help the person who says 20 minutes. :)

Reaction Score
Is there any timetable for an announcement? And god help the person who says 20 minutes. :)

My guess is that they wait till after the Houston/Temple game. Loser of that game in all likelihood goes goes to Bama Bowl, then Memphis and UConn get slotted into St Pete's Bowl and Boca Bowl.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My guess is that they wait till after the Houston/Temple game. Loser of that game in all likelihood goes goes to Bama Bowl, then Memphis and UConn get slotted into St Pete's Bowl and Boca Bowl.

Close, but i would think a little more complicated.

If Houston wins: would we **really** send Temple to Birmingham? I doubt it. Memphis to bama with Temple to St Pete and us to Boca.
If Temple wins: Houston is probably a little more flexible in their destination, meaning their fanbase will probably travel a bit better.

If it were really just a slotting question 50/50 - i think we would have been slotted already.

Reaction Score
And I keep forgetting about Tulsa being bowl eligible as well. So it's Birmingham, Orlando Cure, St Pete's and Boca left to fill

Reaction Score
Ha - crap - me too! :)

Remember that Birmingham Bowl is versus SEC so they will want the best match-up there. Loser of UH/Owls (first choice) and then Memphis would be my gut.

Reaction Score
pricing out both Boca and St Pete --- fingers are crossed for Boca. pricing much more reasonable from what ive found thus far.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yeah, next you're gonna tell me that instead of sending UConn to Florida and Stanford to Arizona they'd do something stupid like send UConn to Arizona.

That single decision may have contributed far more to UConn being outside of the P5 than any other single decision. We go to the Orange bowl... bring twice as many fans... and have better than a punchers change against Virginia Tech. The narrative changes completely.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That single decision may have contributed far more to UConn being outside of the P5 than any other single decision. We go to the Orange bowl... bring twice as many fans... and have better than a punchers change against Virginia Tech. The narrative changes completely.

Totally agree. Winning a BCS Bowl really elevated programs to legitimacy during that era.

We fill up the Orange Bowl with VT and win, I think that becomes a real selling point.

Sure it was only one game but we were trashed in the media for awhile over ticket sales and being in the game in the first place.

If memory serves, VT lost to Stanford by 28 in that game as well.

Reaction Score
slmandel 12:44pm via TweetDeck
One last updated Bowl Projections before this weekend's games change everything
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...labama-oklahoma-michigan-state-playoff-120415

Dec. 19 Cure Orlando, Fla. Tulsa (American) vs. Nevada* (Sun Belt)
Dec. 21 Miami Beach Miami USF (American) vs. W. Kentucky (C-USA)
Dec. 22 Boca Raton Boca Raton, Fla. Connecticut (American) vs. NIU (MAC)
Dec. 24 Hawaii Honolulu Cincinnati (American) vs. San Diego St. (MWC)
Dec. 26 St. Petersburg St. Petersburg, Fla. Temple (American) vs. Marshall (C-USA)
Dec. 28 Military Annapolis, Md. Pittsburgh (ACC Nos. 7-9) vs. Navy (American)
Dec. 30 Birmingham Birmingham, Ala. Memphis (American) vs. Auburn (SEC No. 9)
Dec. 31 Peach Atlanta Florida State (at-large) vs. Houston (Group of 5)

Reaction Score
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...labama-oklahoma-michigan-state-playoff-120415

Dec. 26 St. Petersburg St. Petersburg, Fla. Temple (American) vs. Marshall (C-USA)

I wonder how good is the SEC' s memory is and maybe they do not want UConn in Birmingham because the last time the Huskies played there, the favored SEC team from South Carolina did not fare well.

Reaction Score

Quite a dropoff for Temple in bowl/opponent prestige if this plays out. Even Memphis (who Temple beat) would get a more appealing draw IMO. Would the AAC runner-up rather play Auburn or Marshall?

Reaction Score
I wonder how good is the SEC' s memory is and maybe they do not want UConn in Birmingham because the last time the Huskies played there, the favored SEC team from South Carolina did not fare well.

I don't think that concerns them too much. You had a "good" BE team beating a mediocre (0.500) SEC team. South Carolina may have been favored only because of conference perception, but they were not going to "knock the socks off" a prominent BCS program, and their loss was not going to downgrade the perception of the SEC in any case.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Only you could take this UConn team making a bowl after the worst season in it's 1-A history and turn it into such a no win situation.

You're reading things that aren't there. Making a bowl this year is an immense boost for our program. But now that we're locked in, why should we not want to see us in the most advantageous bowl possible?

Don't get me wrong, Any Bowl >>>>>>> No Bowl. But playing Northern Illinois in the Boca Raton Bowl provides our program around the least benefit of any bowl option. That's all.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
NIU is playing tonight for the MAC Championship. They're down to their 3rd string QB. I think a battle of the Huskies would be a good matchup for our guys. A winnable game to give some confidence to our program heading into offseason S&C.

TKs

Reaction Score
Very doubtful N.Illinois plays in Boca Bowl. They played there last year (lost to Marshall).

Reaction Score
NIU is playing tonight for the MAC Championship. They're down to their 3rd string QB. I think a battle of the Huskies would be a good matchup for our guys. A winnable game to give some confidence to our program heading into offseason S&C.
And an overall winning record for the year if they can pull off a win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom