New Article this morning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Article this morning

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
The idea that Martin and Polley are reasonably equivalent shooters is just freaking crazy. And I like Martin but he's not a "vastly better" ballhandler than Polley. He's a much better rebounder, probably a better defender, and he's more rugged.
He's definitely a better defender but agreed, Martin is not on the same planet shooting wise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The idea that Martin and Polley are reasonably equivalent shooters is just freaking crazy. And I like Martin but he's not a "vastly better" ballhandler than Polley. He's a much better rebounder, probably a better defender, and he's more rugged.

Polley is a poor ball handler and Martin can function as a guard. Martin shot 44% overall last year. Polley shot 41%. Polley is better from 3pt range of course. But can't create his own shot, and has shown minimal ability to drive to the rim. The difference in D and rebounding is bigger than the shooting difference in my opinion. But we will see how it plays out.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What about the other side of the ball, where Polley is about as effective as a chair? Or ball handling? Or rebounding? Martin is vastly better at everything except 3 point shooting (and isn't much worse at that). I can see neither of them starting, because Gaffney is the SG and Jackson the SF. Or if Hawkins wins a spot. But I can't see Polley starting on this team.
I'm not worried about defense or rebounding, we have enough guys who do that stuff. I'm not projecting Polley to start either, but I do think his great skill is going to earn him a larger role in the rotation than Martin.

Also just as a side note, as complete speculation. I'm going to hope Polley coming into year 2 removed from the injury helps him regain some foot speed on D. He's never going to be the bruiser down low that Martin is, especially on the boards, but if he can just hang with perimeter guys a little better, I think he'll be a plus defender. I think his ability to bother shooters often goes underrated on this board.

Reaction Score
I think Diggins is going to play more than we think. He's probably the purest point guard we have. Cole is really a 2 in a PG body as is Gaff. I could see lots of times where we go small with Diggins and Cole together.
To me Coles is a pg. He's averaged almost 6 assists per game in his college career even while being counted on to be a main scorer.

pj

Reaction Score
The quintet of Andre Jackson, Cole, Martin, Sanogo and Whaley posted a +44.3 net rating last season in just 22 minutes together on the floor. That group shot 52.9% from the field, 37% from 3-point range and a 20.8% block percentage, in the 95th percentile nationally.

It would be interesting to see which opposing players this group played against in their 22 minutes. It might have been short opponents who couldn't defend on the interior, or score inside, and had to collapse to defend the paint leaving three point shooters open. I doubt this group would score so consistently well against strong defenses.

Reaction Score
Martin is a comparable shooter to Polley, as Polley is a comparable rebounder to Martin
Considering Marin averaged 7.5 rebounds and Polley averaged 2 rebounds your argument is completely unpersuasive. Especially since Martin actually had a higher overall field goal % than Polley by a considerable margin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Martin as a 6th man that anchors the second unit intrigues me. Don’t know how thrilled he’d be about that role but Hurley could convince him it’s best for the team. In this scenario:

Starters: Cole, Hawkins, Polley, Sanogo, Whaley

Don’t think this will happen but I’d like to see it.

I’d say the most likely starting lineup in November is Cole, Gaff, Martin, Sanogo, Whaley.

Reaction Score
Considering Marin averaged 7.5 rebounds and Polley averaged 2 rebounds your argument is completely unpersuasive. Especially since Martin actually had a higher overall field goal % than Polley by a considerable margin.

Looking at just FG% doesn't tell much of a story at all. TS% and EFG% are going to give you a better indicator of offensive value than just FG%... Tyler took 72% of his shots from 3 compared to Tyrese's 26%. Of course his shooting % is going to be lower. Steph Curry's career FG% is only 47% because he takes so many 3s, but his EFG% and TS% for his career are 58% and 63%... elite. Tyler is not nearly the shooter or finisher, but the same effect is at play.

EFG%
Tyler: 49%
Rese: 48%

TS%
Tyler: 52%
Rese: 51%

We're basically talking about the same % here when it comes down to it. And this was an off-year for Tyler, whereas Rese was shooting about his career average.

But Tyler provides WAY WAY WAY more spacing at this point in his career--that makes the whole team better. The reality is that Tyler may not be the best offensive player on our team, and he is not as complete a player as Rese on offense, but his stats look really good because he can shoot the rock (a skill we severely lack), and provides spacing for everyone else to operate. Shooting is so important that Tyrese being better at essentially every other offensive skill doesn't mitigate Tyler's shooting advantage.

I'm sure @UConnStats could go on for days about this.

Reaction Score
Looking at just FG% doesn't tell much of a story at all. TS% and EFG% are going to give you a better indicator of offensive value than just FG%... Tyler took 72% of his shots from 3 compared to Tyrese's 26%. Of course his shooting % is going to be lower. Steph Curry's career FG% is only 47% because he takes so many 3s, but his EFG% and TS% for his career are 58% and 63%... elite. Tyler is not nearly the shooter or finisher, but the same effect is at play.

EFG%
Tyler: 49%
Rese: 48%

TS%
Tyler: 52%
Rese: 51%

We're basically talking about the same % here when it comes down to it. And this was an off-year for Tyler, whereas Rese was shooting about his career average.

But Tyler provides WAY WAY WAY more spacing at this point in his career--that makes the whole team better. The reality is that Tyler may not be the best offensive player on our team, and he is not as complete a player as Rese on offense, but his stats look really good because he can shoot the rock (a skill we severely lack), and provides spacing for everyone else to operate. Shooting is so important that Tyrese being better at essentially every other offensive skill doesn't mitigate Tyler's shooting advantage.

I'm sure @UConnStats could go on for days about this.
I started typing out a reply with these same stats this afternoon when the conversation started and then deleted it. Decided it was useless because if people can't see the difference between Polley and Martin as shooters no stat is ever going to convince them. That should be obvious to anyone who's watched 30 seconds of basketball

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Akok is quite possibly the best combination of talent and athleticism on this roster.

I love Akok and hope he returns better than 100%. Pre injury the athleticism was there
Most likely not at that level now and he never was near the most talented basketball player on the squad
Hawkins will be both - hands down

Reaction Score
I started typing out a reply with these same stats this afternoon when the conversation started and then deleted it. Decided it was useless because if people can't see the difference between Polley and Martin as shooters no stat is ever going to convince them. That should be obvious to anyone who's watched 30 seconds of basketball
When one guy averages 7.5 rebounds and the other one averages 2 rebounds, you can't just limit your analysis to shooting. Tyrese contributes in lots of ways, and he is a great rebounder for his size. He just may surprise some of you next season. Plus he is all heart.

Reaction Score
When one guy averages 7.5 rebounds and the other one averages 2 rebounds, you can't just limit your analysis to shooting. Tyrese contributes in lots of ways, and he is a great rebounder for his size. He just may surprise some of you next season. Plus he is all heart.
But that's not the discussion, the discussion is who's a better shooter. Martin is a better all around player and one of the most important players that can raise the ceiling of this team next year. That doesn't make him a better shooter because he had a slightly higher FG%

Reaction Score

You're changing the goalpost in the middle of the game. The question was not who is a better rebounder. Or even who is a better player. The topic was shooting--and Tyler is an objectively much better shooter.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure Tyrese took a mid range jumper last year.

Reaction Score
Questions abound as we head into first week in June. Will enjoy hearing early observations on our new freshmen and about how AA looks/feels re: his ongoing rehab from injury.

I believe DH has more tools in the toolkit than his previous rosters and see this roster as capable of being a Top 25 team for
the majority of the year. We have speed/depth/athleticism/commitment to defense-rebounding.

As mentioned by many.. How do we score/who does the scoring? Eye ball test/IMO.. JHawk will be an early contributor on offense/Sool will be efficient in the PT he earns as a distributor-playmaker/AS-IW will average close to double-doubles/Polley is the microwave shooter/Tyrese-junkyard dog on D and the boards.

Wildcards. AA's health and return to form/Jackson's evolution over the summer/emergence of Samson during second half of season where he's demanding minutes.

Too early to predict but looking forward to a productive and healthy summer for the guys and can't wait for this team to start using its depth to kick off the season.

In the meantime.. Let's introduce some of our June visitors to the campus and the Dairy Bar.

Edit: RJ builds on last season' with solid contributions and a three ball threat.. Would like to see Gaff be more off the ball and work on his stroke..Leave playmaking to RJ/Sool.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is gaffney starts and Jackson is the point guard so to speak of the second unit to start the year.
I think the polley martin debate is a good one where it comes down to head vs heart for hurley. I think he just loves guys like Martin and all they bring to the table and polley will really have to look lights out to take it from him. If pace of play actually picks up as hurley has mentioned there are plenty of minutes to go around for a team picking up full court and pushing the pace offensively.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
My guess is gaffney starts and Jackson is the point guard so to speak of the second unit to start the year.
I think the polley martin debate is a good one where it comes down to head vs heart for hurley. I think he just loves guys like Martin and all they bring to the table and polley will really have to look lights out to take it from him. If pace of play actually picks up as hurley has mentioned there are plenty of minutes to go around for a team picking up full court and pushing the pace offensively.
I don't see a world where Jackson doesn't start. Our team's performance is so contingent on his success.

Reaction Score
I don't see a world where Jackson doesn't start. Our team's performance is so contingent on his success.

If he doesn't shoot it better or find a mid range game I can't see where he does start. As good of an athlete as he is as well as a passer he's only good if he can find something that scares the opposition when he has the ball. For now they will guard him from a distance to assure he doesn't get to the basket and our offense will need better than that I'm afraid. That was noticeable for Bouk too the clogging from not having enough scorers or shooters on the floor.

Think they begin the season Cole-Hawkins-Martin-Whaley-Sanogo unless there was a major improvement with players.

Reaction Score
Jackson is not a point guard, does not have the handle or shot for it. Wonder where his shot will be in November because if he can make midrange 15-18 footers it would be great. He should forget about the 3 and put the ball on the floor.

Reaction Score
So you think he’s starting at the 2 or 3? Alongside gaff and Cole? Instead of gaff? It’s obviously very early to say definitively with all the combinations but I don’t think we start only 2 shooters.

Reaction Score
I fully expect this to be the starting lineup game 1. By January we could see a lineup of Cole/Hawkins/Martin/Akok/Sanogo
I see this but Jackson over Martin, Whaley over Akok.

If Akok starts at any point this year over a player like Whaley who contributes so much to winning, it’ll either be the greatest indication of growth & health by Akok, or an unfortunate poor showing by our likely team captain & 5th year Sr.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom